| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

This week I've made the refried beans from Viva Vegan and the tandoori tofu from Vegan Eats World.

I've made the refried beans before, with pinto beans, and didn't care much for it. This time I used black beans, and it was great. Loved them. Also omitted the jalapeño and used red pepper flakes instead for heat. Cut back on the oil too.

The tandoori tofu was absolutely amazing. Liked this way more than I expected! It smelled so good while it was in the oven and it tasted even better. I put it in a wrap with roasted sweet potatoes, bell pepper and onions plus avocado and curried almond dressing from LTEV. Awesome!

No pictures, sorry. I was lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The chorizo was not very spicy at all. I would actually consider making the chipotle variation next time if I wanted to kick up the heat. As it happens, my roommate is definitely a wuss when it comes to spice, and she loved them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am 
Huffs Nooch

Love Child wrote:
This week I've made the refried beans from Viva Vegan and the tandoori tofu from Vegan Eats World.

I've made the refried beans before, with pinto beans, and didn't care much for it. This time I used black beans, and it was great. Loved them. Also omitted the jalapeño and used red pepper flakes instead for heat. Cut back on the oil too.

I love refried beans with black beans, sooo good. I'm going to remember your changes for the next time I make these.

Victoire wrote:
The chorizo was not very spicy at all. I would actually consider making the chipotle variation next time if I wanted to kick up the heat. As it happens, my roommate is definitely a wuss when it comes to spice, and she loved them!

Ha, great to know!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So I brought some of the leftover Cashew Vegetable Korma to work today to share with my Indian co-workers so I could get their opinion on how authentic it is. Three people, all from India and two having worked in an Indian restaurant tried it out. They love to joke around with me and have laughed at my attempts at Chapatti bread. They said they were scared to try my Korma. However after trying it they all raved about it and said it was perfect. They couldn't believe I had made such a great Indian dish. I'm on my second bowl already today and I think the flavour has improved even more then when I made it last night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

brontrent wrote:
I have been meaning to make that cassoulet for awhile now, your pics over some great motivation as it looks very yummy. I also love the biscuits from Chloe's kitchen so I'll use those like you did.

The leek and bean cassoulet is very mild in terms of flavour, but would be easy to spice up more to your liking. I make it following the recipe on nights when hubby needs something mild because his heartburn is flaring up. I've also made it for omni friends who are spice wimps. It may be a bit bland but it's great homey comfort food. Even my housemate who is wary of trying some of my veg food can't turn it down - anything with biscuits is a winner here!

The only thing I change from the recipe is I leave out the peas. The first couple times I made it I just didn't have any peas handy. But I really like it that way, and don't think I'd feel the same with peas added. And it still makes a buttload.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yeah, I agree that the cassoulet is a little bland, but it's great for when you want something like a pot pie, but don't want to fuss with crust. I usually make it in, like, November, if it's raining. It's a very mood/weather specific dish for me. I do love making it in my cast iron and just shoving that sucker into the oven. Like I'm getting all the use I can out of my pan, haha. Some changes I make (which are very few): I use all leeks instead of leeks + onions and I reduce the amount of potatoes, because I'm not a big potato person. The extra leeks just make it so much better for me!

I'm making the Moroccan Tagine from VWAV for a friend tonight. I'm excited, because it has a bajillion vegetables in it, which is why I'm making it tonight since the manfriend isn't eating it. Hooray! Although there wasn't any zucchini at the store, so I bought yellow summer squash instead. Hope that doesn't make much of a difference. I prefer zucchini, but I feel like they're pretty similar in texture/taste.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:
I'm making the Moroccan Tagine from VWAV for a friend tonight. I'm excited, because it has a bajillion vegetables in it, which is why I'm making it tonight since the manfriend isn't eating it. Hooray! Although there wasn't any zucchini at the store, so I bought yellow summer squash instead. Hope that doesn't make much of a difference. I prefer zucchini, but I feel like they're pretty similar in texture/taste.

I haven't made this but the sub shouldn't make a difference. Recipes online tell you to use them interchangeably all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm 

Moon wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I haven't made this but the sub shouldn't make a difference. Recipes online tell you to use them interchangeably all the time.

I'm mostly just sad that it will be less green, haha.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i made the marbled banana bread from the blog today. didnt like it much but it was okay. the texture was off and i think my bananas weren't sweet enough just yet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

Moroccan Tagin with Spring Vegetables from VWAV. Had to sub yellow summer squash for zucchini, because the store was out of zucchini. It was lovely! I did about an hour of mise en place, then it came together in a lovely fashion. The flavor was amazing, and the cinnamon sticks did not overwhelm everything, luckily. I had to add more salt, and topped it with sriracha (duh), but otherwise it was super yum. Served over whole wheat couscous. My newly vegan (but food open-minded friend) lurved it. She took some home to her mom, so I'm excited to see what she thinks, too!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That looks gorgeous! I might try that some day soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Zula wrote:
couroupita wrote:
I made cha siu bao from Vegan Eats World this past weekend. They are AMAZING, especially the filling, which came out looking gooey and delicious just like the pic in the book! I also made the sesame chard from VEW and the almond sesame green beans from Asian Vegan Kitchen. They're not so photogenic but they were super delicious.

This sounds delicious! Was the recipe time-consuming?

Yeah, I'd set aside a few hours to make them! The bao dough needs to rise for an hour and the seitan has to bake an hour. But, you can make both dough + filling in advance, so that helps a bit!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

From AFR:

Trattoria pasta with sun-dried tomato walnut vinaigrette
-omitted the fennel in the dressing but really liked this
-I also omitted the pasta to make this a white bean and arugula salad
-yum!

Chipotle Brussels and Bean Chili
-I subbed kabocha squash for the sweet potatoes and ended up adding another 15 oz can of diced tomatoes since it was not soupy enough
-I don't think I liked it as much as others have raved about it

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm 

saveur wrote:

Chipotle Brussels and Bean Chili
-I subbed kabocha squash for the sweet potatoes and ended up adding another 15 oz can of diced tomatoes since it was not soupy enough
-I don't think I liked it as much as others have raved about it

I don't love that recipe, either. It was just kind of 'meh' for me.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have finally figured out what recipes I want to make and have made an appropriate shopping list. Now just to drag my butt out and actually use said shopping list. But I dun wanna!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:

Marzipan, TJ's sells vegan slider buns?!

Occasionally. They didn't have them for a while and now they're back, in typical TJ's fashion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it's nothing fancy, but I'm so glad to be eating not boring, bland food and to be able to play along! We had 2 chorizo sausages (from vegan brunch) stashed in our freezer and after defrosting them, we sliced and diced them and sauteed them in a little oil to get them nice and crispy. added some chopped yellow onion, tomato, and green leaf lettuce to a corn tortilla and you have dinner :) next time i'll make a sauce for drizzling. served with brown rice and trader joe's vegetarian refried beans.

this is hubby's plate, he ate 3! he loves isa's chorizo sausage! i've been inspired by all the VwAV photos I've been seeing this past week so I will most likely be using that book for the rest of this challenge week.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

couroupita wrote:
I made cha siu bao from Vegan Eats World this past weekend. They are AMAZING, especially the filling, which came out looking gooey and delicious just like the pic in the book! I also made the sesame chard from VEW and the almond sesame green beans from Asian Vegan Kitchen. They're not so photogenic but they were super delicious.

Yay! I had so much fun making those cha siu bao, and seeing your picture brings back happy memories. I loved the bread part the best although the filling was good too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:00 am 

:( I am so sad right now.

I made the chocolate cupcakes & chocolatte mousse topping and I just had to throw them out. It tastes like a "chocolate covered katie" recipe. I was planning to give them to my brother so he could take them to his job/the place where i worked the last months as I promised them cupcakes. Most of the people there have never had vegan food and so I really wanted them to be good. :( :(

I should remember only to make food I know I like for other people.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mental Note To Self: Never prepare the raised waffles the morning you plan on having them.

Currently hungrily, impatiently waiting on the batter to rise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Raised waffles from VB

Black-bean, mushroom and quinoa stuffed peppers and cajun fries from VWAV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 am 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
It tastes like a "chocolate covered katie" recipe.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this! I've never made any of Katie's recipes, as she calls for fake sugar a lot and I can't be bothered to figure out how to make them have real sugar in them. Is that why? Did it taste like artificial sweetener? If so, Why? I like the Basic Chocolate Cupcakes from VCTOTW, but I've never made the mousse, I usually make the peanut butter buttercream to go on top, because that is the yummiest!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Last night I made dinner from VV: Spinach-Avocado-Chile Salad, topped, as suggested with Tempeh Asado. For the first time I made the Creamy Ancho Chile Dressing the original way instead of making the chipotle variation. I like the variation better; it's tastier, spicier, and quicker. I put too much dressing on, but otherwise it was all very good and I'm enjoying the leftovers for breakfast.

I also made v'con Lemon Bars, and they are delightful, but I thought they were a lot of work, so I don't think I'll make them often.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:13 am 
Huffs Nooch

bookwormbethie wrote:
it's nothing fancy, but I'm so glad to be eating not boring, bland food and to be able to play along! We had 2 chorizo sausages (from vegan brunch) stashed in our freezer and after defrosting them, we sliced and diced them and sauteed them in a little oil to get them nice and crispy. added some chopped yellow onion, tomato, and green leaf lettuce to a corn tortilla and you have dinner :) next time i'll make a sauce for drizzling. served with brown rice and trader joe's vegetarian refried beans.

Yay for being able to eat normally! This looks easy & tasty. Your plate looks like Fiestaware in Plum. I have that too! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 am 

allularpunk wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
It tastes like a "chocolate covered katie" recipe.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this! I've never made any of Katie's recipes, as she calls for fake sugar a lot and I can't be bothered to figure out how to make them have real sugar in them. Is that why? Did it taste like artificial sweetener? If so, Why? I like the Basic Chocolate Cupcakes from VCTOTW, but I've never made the mousse, I usually make the peanut butter buttercream to go on top, because that is the yummiest!

I dont want to give her any more pageviews (since she's pretty much just selling the ed-dream) but she has a lot of recipes along the line of tofu+melted chocolate+sweetener and I once tried out a pie like this. It wasn't fake, it was with agave. I had to throw it out because it grossed me out. Because it DID just taste like choc+blended tofu and that taste makes me gag.

And I like the basic chocolate cupcakes, too. I have made 3-4 other frostings before and liked them.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next