| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ok, thanks!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:29 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

VeganinBerlin wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
It tastes like a "chocolate covered katie" recipe.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this! I've never made any of Katie's recipes, as she calls for fake sugar a lot and I can't be bothered to figure out how to make them have real sugar in them. Is that why? Did it taste like artificial sweetener? If so, Why? I like the Basic Chocolate Cupcakes from VCTOTW, but I've never made the mousse, I usually make the peanut butter buttercream to go on top, because that is the yummiest!

I dont want to give her any more pageviews (since she's pretty much just selling the ed-dream) but she has a lot of recipes along the line of tofu+melted chocolate+sweetener and I once tried out a pie like this. It wasn't fake, it was with agave. I had to throw it out because it grossed me out. Because it DID just taste like choc+blended tofu and that taste makes me gag.

And I like the basic chocolate cupcakes, too. I have made 3-4 other frostings before and liked them.

I find that when I make a dessert with tofu, the tofu taste will go away after it has chilled in the fridge for a day. For example, I made the Brooklyn vs Boston cream pie cakes from VCTOTW for my birthday two years ago and the cream filling uses tofu. The first night we ate it, I could taste the tofu and didn't like it. The next day I tried it again, and I couldn't taste the tofu anymore.

In the future, you should let it sit for a day and then see if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Out of curiosity, I wonder if blanching the tofu before using it would take away that 'beany' flavor. Isa says to do that in the Sanctuary Dressing recipe from AFR, so I wonder if it would work for sweet recipes, too?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok, three recipes done! One isn't really a recipe and the another wasn't on my planned list. But whatevs!

All are from Vcon.

First: Vegetable stock, LOL. I usually just wing my stock making but I knew I had to make some today and thought I'd use the book's recipe. The only difference was I didn't have any parsnip. I threw in a stalk of celery, too. I realized as I was making it, that I've never put garlic in veggie stock! My eyes are opened now.

Second: Simple Seitan. Should it look like boiled brains? It looks like brown, boiled brains. But seems to taste fine. I haven't really mucked around with it yet but I will be using it in yet another recipe for tonight. But I am still kind of amazed at how easy it was. As soon as I mixed the wet in the dry I could see the texture come together. I look forward to trying the cutlets another time. I'll have to review again after I've had it in something.

Third: Homestyle Potato Rolls. Oh heavens to Betsy, these are so good! This is the first time I've made yeast dough by myself and I probably haven't touched it in years. But these were easy and came together so nicely. I just happened to have the exact amount of leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge when I got up this morning, and I decided today was going to be the day.

So now my day has consisted of nothing but laundry and cooking. Now, off to make dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

MichelleMaBelle wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
It tastes like a "chocolate covered katie" recipe.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this! I've never made any of Katie's recipes, as she calls for fake sugar a lot and I can't be bothered to figure out how to make them have real sugar in them. Is that why? Did it taste like artificial sweetener? If so, Why? I like the Basic Chocolate Cupcakes from VCTOTW, but I've never made the mousse, I usually make the peanut butter buttercream to go on top, because that is the yummiest!

I dont want to give her any more pageviews (since she's pretty much just selling the ed-dream) but she has a lot of recipes along the line of tofu+melted chocolate+sweetener and I once tried out a pie like this. It wasn't fake, it was with agave. I had to throw it out because it grossed me out. Because it DID just taste like choc+blended tofu and that taste makes me gag.

And I like the basic chocolate cupcakes, too. I have made 3-4 other frostings before and liked them.

I find that when I make a dessert with tofu, the tofu taste will go away after it has chilled in the fridge for a day. For example, I made the Brooklyn vs Boston cream pie cakes from VCTOTW for my birthday two years ago and the cream filling uses tofu. The first night we ate it, I could taste the tofu and didn't like it. The next day I tried it again, and I couldn't taste the tofu anymore.

In the future, you should let it sit for a day and then see if that helps.[/quote]

Thanks. I did let it sit for a day, though. I also made the Brooklyn vs Boston cupcakes and I did like & keep them. In fact I just overate on them... And with this one you're right, the cream tasted weird when i put it in the fridge, the next day in the cupcakes it was fine. I'll post pics of them, too

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Those rolls look sooooo good.

I finished my day off with a sammich. All it consisted of was lemon pepper tofu from VB and some mayo. It was perfect comfort food. It was also my first time baking tofu. I loved the texture.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Moon, those rolls look wonderful! Also, I personally prefer the seitan cutlets from VCON that are baked in the broth. With an electric stovetop, I just can't seem to control the boiling point of my broth, and when I do the simmered seitan recipes they always come out brain-y and mushy.

I have everything prepped and ready for the PPKblog Blackened Tofu Scramble and Garlicky Grits. Though I'm not sure why they're called grits when it's polenta. Haha, oh well. I'm also making some simple garlicky collard greens with Frank's hot sauce, since that seems to go with the Southern theme! Hope my dinner guests like it, because I'm pretty pumped about it all.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I intended to make the pasta e fagioli from 'nomicon tonight, but my tomatoes were mushy and flavorless. I will buy some canned tomatoes and try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zula wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
it's nothing fancy, but I'm so glad to be eating not boring, bland food and to be able to play along! We had 2 chorizo sausages (from vegan brunch) stashed in our freezer and after defrosting them, we sliced and diced them and sauteed them in a little oil to get them nice and crispy. added some chopped yellow onion, tomato, and green leaf lettuce to a corn tortilla and you have dinner :) next time i'll make a sauce for drizzling. served with brown rice and trader joe's vegetarian refried beans.

Yay for being able to eat normally! This looks easy & tasty. Your plate looks like Fiestaware in Plum. I have that too! :)

yes, that is what it is! several years ago, betty crocker had some kind of red spoon reward point program or something, and i redeemed some for a set of 4 big plum dinner plates, and i have 4 salad plates in cinnabar. i wish i had more fiestaware, i love the simple design and fun colors.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
Raised waffles from VB

dangit, those look mighty tasty. i am *this close* to sucking it up and ordering a waffle maker online. i *need* waffles!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Ok, three recipes done! One isn't really a recipe and the another wasn't on my planned list. But whatevs!

All are from Vcon.

Third: Homestyle Potato Rolls. Oh heavens to Betsy, these are so good! This is the first time I've made yeast dough by myself and I probably haven't touched it in years. But these were easy and came together so nicely. I just happened to have the exact amount of leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge when I got up this morning, and I decided today was going to be the day.

oh those potato rolls, i've always wanted to make some/eat some. those look fantastic!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

tonight i cooked out of VwAV. Made the jerk seitan on page 159. subbed soy curls for the seitan. this recipe is a total keeper. the jerk sauce was awesome. hubby really loved it too. he really likes soy curls.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So with my first time seitan I made the Seitanic Red and White Bean Jambalaya from Vcon. It was fine, but not terribly exciting. I pretty much followed the recipe to the letter minus cooking sherry. Maybe I lost a lot of flavour from that? Maybe my cayenne was too mild to have much impact? It was generic Walmart brand cayenne so I think that had something to do with it.

The recipe filled my big le creuset pot right to the top and weighed a ton. Are Canadian cans of beans larger than the ones Americans buy? Maybe it just ended up being too many ingredients that outweighed the spice. Definitely could have used some hot sauce.

Mr Moon was pretty iffy on the seitan, but he ate it. I think if I make it again and I don't feel like bothering with seitan that the dish won't really lose anything. Minus the seitan it is very much the sort of one pot meal I really like making. Beans, rice, spices and a couple veggies for good measure.

No pics because beans and rice and tomatoes in a big gloop in my poorly lot kitchen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i don't have V'con, did your recipe call for baking, steaming, or boiling/simmering? i'm still a noob when it comes to seitan but i'm going to assume that each method may affect the final texture of the seitan.

if you didn't steam tonight, i would definitely try making steamed seitan, it's real easy peasy, and the texture is quite good. i have a countertop electric steamer and can just fit in the 4 sausages. my omni hubby really has enjoyed the different types of steamed seitan sausages i have made so i definitely think it's worth giving seitan one more try if you didn't steam your batch from tonight.

the recipe below is also in vegan brunch if you have that, plus there is a 'steamed sausage variation' thread kicking around here somewhere with all sorts of fantastic ideas on how to tweak the seasonings and such to get different international flavors.
http://www.theppk.com/2012/01/vegan_sausage/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

if i made the buffalo tempeh in advanced and keep it in the fridge say 4-5 hours will it dry out? i might crumble it up later any way and use it on a pizza!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it will be fine if you don't cook it all the way and leave it sitting in its marinade. It gets dry when you cook it down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:35 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i was just going to steam it, place it in the marinade in a lidded food tub and let it chill...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Love having two weeks for each challenge!

Based on the rave reviews in this thread, I made the Fronch Toast from the blog. No pictures as it was one of the mad-rush-to-get-guests-fed kind of mornings. It is definitely in the weekend breakfast rotation now. It really tasted eggy from the chickpea flour, and it was refreshing to have such a simple recipe! Sometimes it's exhausting how lengthy the vegan versions of dishes can be. Not this one.

My #5 challenge recipe is the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake from Veganomicon. My word, this cake is amazing. The coconut-adverse omni in-laws were impressed and asked for the recipe. Another simple recipe too, no "special vegan stuff" as my mother-in-law said :/

It cracked coming out of the pan, it's a pretty high-moisture cake (one reason it tastes so so good) but made it a bit difficult to slice (especially compared to the V'con Chocolate Bundt I did last week). It was also done 15 minutes early, I still don't *get* my oven though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, those potato rolls!!! They look gorgeous!

Tonight I made dinner from Viva Vegan -- portobello feijoada, savory orange rice, and braised Brazilian kale (except we used red chard), topped with cashew crema. Sooo delicious and filling! I really love this book.

For dessert we had the lower fat banana bread in muffin form from Vcon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I had planned to make some kind of easy pasta sauce today because I don't have a lot of stuff at home to make something fancy, but then I remembered that Isa has a recipe for a cashew/red wine sauce on the blog so I'll make that. Will not use chard though, but add some broccoli and mushrooms instead.

Later this week I'm going to make something out of either Veganomicon or Vegan Eats World for my parents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Moon, I do think the standard can of beans here in Canada is bigger then an American one. The ones in American cookbooks always call for a 15 oz can of beans and the regular ones here are definitely bigger than that. All I have on hand now is a couple cans of organic beans because 95% of the time I use dried. The organic beans cost me the same price per can but the can is quite a bit smaller and it says 14oz. So I am assuming the normal can is about 19-20oz.

Edited to add: I just searched it and after converting from ml to oz a normal can here in Canada is 18.25oz. So it is slightly larger. Whenever I used dried beans that have been cooked I sub in 1 1/2 cups for each can that is called for in an American recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Last night I had garlicky mushrooms and kale, baked tofu, and silky chickpea gravy from AFR. For lunch I'm having the pad thai salad, also from AFR. I'm about 2/3 of the way to cooking everything in that book!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

PPK blog Blackened Tofu Scramble with Garlicky Grits (or, really, soft polenta) and some garlicky collard greens that I doused in Frank's.

Here is a stupidly blurry photo of it plated:

It was so good! My dinner guests gobbled it up and I barely have enough left over for lunch today. Which bums me out, but I'm glad they liked it. I love it when omnis eat tofu and enjoy it. Next time I would add more cayenne to the tofu spice mix, but other than that, it was pretty straight forward and delicious. The collards complimented it really well. I had forgotten how much I love collard greens!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Last edited by allularpunk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Moon: those potato rolls look so light and fluffy and perfect! I've never made them because I always want to use my sour dough starter when I bake bread. But I might have to give the starter a break and make those rolls!

NomiMalone: Yes, that lemon cake is so good, and always a huge hit. I like to serve it drenched in lemon glaze because more sugar is never enough for me!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I had the AfR portobello pepper steak stew for dinner with a few pieces of toast - it was very tasty! Next time I'd probably reduce the capsicum, though (and possibly also reduce the fennel and/or throw in a can of beans).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next