| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Here's the creamy red chard linguine from the ppk blog. But with spaghetti and no chard.

It was pretty awesome. Quite spicy. I didn't add the extra 1/2 cup of broth with the wine, and the sauce turned out thick, but not too thick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am 
WELFARIST!

Love Child, that looks wonderful!

If anyone is interested, I blogged about my VWAV week, and the photos there are much better, haha... Link in my sig :)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the buffalo tempeh from AFR over the weekend, it's not a new recipe, I pretty much make it once a week but it was so good that I wanted to mention it! I had it with Leahey Mac & Cheese and homegrown steamed kale. Pretty much the quickest great dinner ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, that leahey mac n cheese does not look like it came out of a box, impressive.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bookwormbethie wrote:
wow, that leahey mac n cheese does not look like it came out of a box, impressive.

I haven't liked any of the other ones I've tried, even the frozen ones. The leahey mac in cheese is the shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right, I was meant to be making lemon poppyseed muffins from VB but I couldn't find the poppy seeds. Since I had the flour, baking powder and salt already in the bowl and had the ingredients for the mixed berry muffins I went and made them. I made them for work breakfast on Christmas Eve and they were a disaster because I had to use the neighbours oven and she hadn't preheated it (despite me texting her when to put it on) and then didn't have it up high enough so they were an uncooked mess. So because of that I am considering it my first time making them.

I've had one already and it was yum.

As soon as I took them out of the oven I found the poppy seeds so I will probably make those muffins Wednesday night.

So that now takes me to 6 recipes (7 if you include the butternut squash soup that I have previously made). I plan on making a few more things since I still have lunch for Wednesday and onwards to make and then meals for the weekend. Planning on making another baked tofu tomorrow evening for lunches and veggie burgers for the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the Pistachio Quinoa Date Salad from VEW, but it was more like Sunflower Seed Fig Salad, so consider it a very loose interpretation of the original. I also made the basic Asian tofu from VWAV, and it was super duper yums.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

beethecookie wrote:
I made the Pistachio Quinoa Date Salad from VEW, but it was more like Sunflower Seed Fig Salad, so consider it a very loose interpretation of the original.

me too, though mine was almond-quinoa-date (cilantro not parsley, romaine not spinach) salad. It's totally great that way too if anyone else is missing pistachios and parsley and wants to make the salad anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the lemon poppy seed muffins from VB yesterday morning. It called for 2 TBSP lemon zest and after zesting 2 lemons I had enough LOL. So I probably only used about 1 TBSP, didn't measure. They tasted really good, probably better if I had used all the zest but still really good. These are definitely best eaten the day of making as I had one this afternoon and while still good the texture was a little stale.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

God, everyone's food sounds/looks so delicious, it makes me start craving every time I come to this thread.

daisychain: Those berry muffins came out great! The poppyseed muffins are some of the best I've ever had hands down.

bookwormbethie: I have some of the cinnabar too! I have 2 diff. sizes of plates, some bowls, teacups and mugs. They're all mixed in plum, cinnabar and the beautiful (now discontinued) heather. My husband & I requested most of it for our wedding presents a few years ago.

The husband & I were in the kitchen for hours yesterday preparing components for dinner and for a week-full of lunches. I really dislike our kitchen and positively loathe cooking for hours on end. However I love to eat & eat well so I make the effort, lol.

First up from Viva Vegan this week is the Spicy Tortilla Casserole with Roasted Poblanos. Oh my God. This is freakin' crazy delicious! I didn't know how spicy poblanos were (*hangs head in shame*), so I used 2 instead of 4 and I used jalapenos instead of serranos. I left out the Mexican oregano 'cause I didn't have any. I definitely made the Pine Nut Crema as you can see, which made a lot more than I thought it would and scattered pumpkin seeds on top.

These photos aren't the most appetizing-looking, but boy this is one satisfying dish!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

That looks so yummy, Zula!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i am making the basic baked tofu tonight from afr!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

As per lavawitch's suggestion, a peanut butter, black forest preserves, banana sandwich made with Fronch Toast. When she first mentioned it, I thought it sounded awesome, but a little too heavy for me, but my bread slices are tiny and during my workout earlier I decided that I couldn't live without one. Totally delicious.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
That looks so yummy, Zula!

Thanks!

allularpunk wrote:
As per lavawitch's suggestion, a peanut butter, black forest preserves, banana sandwich made with Fronch Toast. When she first mentioned it, I thought it sounded awesome, but a little too heavy for me, but my bread slices are tiny and during my workout earlier I decided that I couldn't live without one. Totally delicious.

God, that looks good!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

allularpunk wrote:

Oh my heavens. Send to me please?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Continuing my list of recipes. No pics this time because, lazy, and most of you have probably made these. All from vcon. Onwards!

4) Lemony Roasted Potatoes.

So, due to these potatoes I have eaten my weight in olive oil and I have probably destroyed my gigantic, heavy duty roasting pan, but they are sooooooo good and I will wake up and make faces at the dishes tomorrow. Very yum. They seemed to take forever to cook though.

5) Chickpea Cutlets

I was really sad when I finished making these. They did not look lovely like in the book. There was very discernable hunks of chickpea in them. They went from browning to black on the outside. They kind of look like fried poo. But they tasted pretty good. I think next time I will bake them and will make a bigger batch.

6) Mustard sauce. It tasted mostly like mustard. Granted I took some liberties with the recipe (who keeps cooking sherry around, honestly?) and I would probably be just as happy thinning out some mustard and tossing it with capers. But I also really have a thing for mustard.

Served all these with steamed asparagus because the book said asparagus and I follow rules dammit! But I am soooo done with cooking and will not make a thing tomorrow, beyond reheating leftovers.

The best part is, Mr Moon went for seconds of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made 'Nomicon pasta e fagioli. It's not as pretty as I imagined, but I used a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes instead of 2 lbs. fresh, so maybe if tomatoes were in season it would have been more colorful. But it tastes lovely just the way it is! This is so cheap, easy, and flavorful that it's going into my regular rotation.

(The salad is just my cheap asparagus salad in a bag w/follow your heart vegan ranch.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Served all these with steamed asparagus because the book said asparagus and I follow rules dammit! But I am soooo done with cooking and will not make a thing tomorrow, beyond reheating leftovers.

i always cook for 4 even though it's just me and hubby. i ♥ re-heating leftovers the next day. i don't have kids, but i have no idea how some couples/families have a brand new cooked dinner every night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:

oh goodness! i'm so making the fronch toast later this week! i didn't see any magical soy creamer at trader joe's and i think i bought the silk brand once from earth fare but i was not impressed, it was very running, like soy milk. did you use soy creamer with the fronch toast?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

oh goodness! i'm so making the fronch toast later this week! i didn't see any magical soy creamer at trader joe's and i think i bought the silk brand once from earth fare but i was not impressed, it was very running, like soy milk. did you use soy creamer with the fronch toast?

I used 1 cup of almond milk for the liquid! No creamer, no rice/soy. It worked great!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
Tonight I made 'Nomicon pasta e fagioli. It's not as pretty as I imagined, but I used a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes instead of 2 lbs. fresh, so maybe if tomatoes were in season it would have been more colorful. But it tastes lovely just the way it is! This is so cheap, easy, and flavorful that it's going into my regular rotation.

I've never tried the Veganomicon recipe, but I love the AFR one with spinach. I make that recipe fairly regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yesterday I made Red Velvet Cupcakes (VCTOTW). So pretty. I'm glad I followed my instinct and decreased the sugar in them, but yeah, there will be no frosting on mine. Sugarbomb. The taste is good though (even without the chocolate extract, I also halved the amount of almond extract but I always do that since I find it too overpowering otherwise), and the texture is great. I must have a very low sugar tolerance.

I have some empanada dough from Viva Vegan chilling in the fridge. Hopefully I'll have enough energy to make som filling for it later. I've been wanting to make the empanadas humitas since I got the book (years ago)!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tonight's dinner is the zucchini fritters from Vegan Eats World! I was a bit unsure while I was making them because the mix didn't look like a batter at all, it looked like a pile of grated vegetables, but I fried it up and it turned into very respectable (and reeeasonably sturdy) fritters!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Tonight is the Ancho Lentil tacos from the PPK blog! I love tacos and lentils, so I'm positive this will be a win.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

From Viva Vegan, I made the refried beans and cilantro lime rice. Both were delicious! I cheated a bit with the beans and pureed them in the food processor rather than mash for ten minutes! I preferred the smooth consistency.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next