| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Ooooh! Those onion rings look so good! I must get around to making them this fortnight now that I have the oven fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am 

I know I made it once before but I wasn't sold on it so I decided I would try the tofu scramble again. This time I used less salt and I pressed the tofu for a few hours. This time I LOVED it. The less salt made a massive difference for me taste wise. I also decided to add in onion and broccoli and served it with some tofu ricotta from VWAV on top.

Going to have the rest of it tomorrow for lunch with a bit of leftover pizza.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

daisychain wrote:
I know I made it once before but I wasn't sold on it so I decided I would try the tofu scramble again. This time I used less salt and I pressed the tofu for a few hours. This time I LOVED it. The less salt made a massive difference for me taste wise. I also decided to add in onion and broccoli and served it with some tofu ricotta from VWAV on top.

Yummers! What a genius stroke serving with tofu ricotta, I must remember that one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 am 

Tofu topped with tofu! What's not to love about that?!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm cooking out of VWAV this week, but I think that next week I will do online resources for some of the things I've never made/books I don't own. I really want to do the sunflower mac also, and I happen to have a bunch of raw sunflower seeds that need using!

This week from VWAV:

Tempeh White Bean Sausage Patties and Fronch Toast
Moroccan Tagine
Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew

Pretty pumped about the Moroccan Tagine, as it has a bunch of veggies in it and I've been veggie lacking since cooking for my dude. I'm going to make it on Friday when he goes out of town, haha.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm cooking from Terry's Viva Vegan! this week since I have shamefully cooked very little out of this cookbook.

Tonight I'm going to make the Black Bean-Corn Salsa Salad (pg. 72) with Fresh Gazpacho Salsa Dressing (pg. 70).

I'm also going to make the Chorizo Seitan Sausages (pg. 36) to include in a recipe for tomorrow. I can't decide between Drunken Beans with Seitan Chorizo (pg. 91) and Taquitos with Chorizo and Potatoes (pg. 168). Has anybody tried either of those dishes? Of course I may end up just making both!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zula wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
hello, glad to see everyone so excited about our challenge :)

hubby & I are on the mend from our nasty stomach bug... so maybe i'll be able to cook something nice for dinner tomorrow......we'll see.......

That plate of food looks scrumptious. And I'm not an onion-ring fan, but I've always been intrigued by the photo in the book and yours look delish!

admittedly i am not a huge onion ring fan either, but my hubby wanted me to make them. they are soooooo good and worth the bit of mess it takes to make them ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am 

bookwormbethie wrote:
Zula wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

hubby & I are on the mend from our nasty stomach bug... so maybe i'll be able to cook something nice for dinner tomorrow......we'll see.......

That plate of food looks scrumptious. And I'm not an onion-ring fan, but I've always been intrigued by the photo in the book and yours look delish!

admittedly i am not a huge onion ring fan either, but my hubby wanted me to make them. they are soooooo good and worth the bit of mess it takes to make them ;)

The bigger the mess the nicer something turns out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm going shopping tomorrow for the week, I will mostly use the AFR & i plan to make the following

Sunflower mac'n'cheese (blog)
Soft Broccoli Polenta
forty-clove chickpeas & broccoli
pasta e fagioli with spinach
mom's marinara

Trying to only spend 20 euros on shopping, so its a lot of pasta..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night I made the Eggplant and Black Eye Pea Curry from the PPK blog.

YUM. It was really good. The only change I made was to use HOT curry powder instead of mild. I was in an Indian grocery last week and bought it. I am always adding heat to my curries anyway so why not? Turned out GREAT. My omni partner liked this dish too. It made a ton, and was pretty low in calories and fat. I would actually add more eggplant next time.

Served it with some roasted brussel sprouts (from VWAV actually, its my favorite way to cook Brussel Sprouts).

Here is a meh picture. Imgur is being weird today, I can't do any real editing and I only have a few precious minutes to do this from work

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:12 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
Zula wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I'm totally putting those rings on my list to make!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm 

VeganinBerlin: I've wanted to make that Forty Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli for awhile now, so I'll be watching for yours!

Chicki: Your curry looks good. God, how I love Brussels.

So from Viva Vegan I made the Home-Style Refried Beans using pintos, which are good but a bit bland. I might need more salt. I'm very hot spice phobic so I left out the chiles. I had never used a Serrano before and my husband made the mistake of putting a chopped piece on my tongue to taste. I had to suck on an ice cube for half an hour, ouch! Anyway, that probably explains the lack of flavor as well. I usually go with Isa's Unfried Beans from AFR, which are awesome. I'll probably interchange these from now on.

I also made the Winter Salsa with a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, left out the chiles and cut back on the cilantro. It's so fresh-tasting.

With the the beans and salsa I threw together avocado, carrot, lettuce and blue chips for a tostada salad for our lunches this week. It's delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@zula, wowie, those pics are amazing, such bright colors! looks great!

@chicki, mmmm..... looks good, i love me some roasted brussel sprouts!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Zula...that salsa looks great. I need to look at that recipe.

Tonight I made the Black Bean & Quinoa soup from the PPK blog here:

http://www.theppk.com/2013/03/black-bean-quinoa-soup/

This soup hit the spot. It was snowing and cold here today and this was the perfect thing to make. It was quick to put together and made quite a bit. The red pepper added a nice little heat but I might add more next time to make it spicier. I added a small sweet potato based on comments I saw regarding this recipe. I will make this again. Looking forward to the left overs tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Victoire wrote:
I'm also going to make the Chorizo Seitan Sausages (pg. 36) to include in a recipe for tomorrow. I can't decide between Drunken Beans with Seitan Chorizo (pg. 91) and Taquitos with Chorizo and Potatoes (pg. 168). Has anybody tried either of those dishes? Of course I may end up just making both!

I'm just lurking these threads since I'm too lazy to participate in this challenge, but since you didn't get a response, I thought I'd share. The Drunken Beans recipe is one of my favourites from VV. Make them with the yellow garlic rice and the chard recipe (the one with capers (you can use spinach if you can't find chard)) on the side - it'll be one of the best meals you've ever eaten.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fronch Toast and Tempeh and White Bean Sausage Patties from VWAV. The Fronch Toast is fantastic! I just made the two small slices for dinner and saved the rest of the liquid/dry bread for snacks and lunches. It really does taste just like I remember French toast tasting, even though I haven't had it in at least 5 years. I was afraid the chickpea flour would make it taste too beany, but no! The sausage patties are just kind of ok. The seasoning is fine (although I added 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to make them spicier!), but I found them a bit mushy. Next time I would add a little bit of wheat gluten to firm them up a bit. Otherwise, a very tasty dinner!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't had a chance to really decide what I'm cooking this week, except I have challenged myself to finally make seitan. I do know I will be cooking from Vcon and the PPK blog.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Moon wrote:
I haven't had a chance to really decide what I'm cooking this week, except I have challenged myself to finally make seitan. I do know I will be cooking from Vcon and the PPK blog.

The baked seitan cutlets from VCON are great!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:

yes, you can do! try this one:
http://www.theppk.com/2012/01/vegan_sausage/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:

Fronch Toast and Tempeh and White Bean Sausage Patties from VWAV. The Fronch Toast is fantastic! I just made the two small slices for dinner and saved the rest of the liquid/dry bread for snacks and lunches. It really does taste just like I remember French toast tasting, even though I haven't had it in at least 5 years. I was afraid the chickpea flour would make it taste too beany, but no! .......

so glad to hear the fronch toast is awesome..... i've had my eye on that but wondered about potential beaniness. my mom used to make me really good french toast when i was a kid. i'll definitely have to see how isa's fronch toast recipe compares.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm seriously craving pbj Fronch toast sandwiches now. I'm going to have to make that for dinner tomorrow.

The small amt of chickpea flour just adds some egginess, not beanies. Same thing with the crepes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Moon wrote:

I love the simple seitan in V'con!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm cooking from Veganomicon this week. Working my way through the whole book.

I made Mediterranean Cashew-Cucumber Dip. I couldn't get it very creamy, but it was really good and will definitely be making it again.

The Lower-fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake. Amazing and my new favorite chocolate cake recipe. Boyfriend took the rest to work and his coworkers can't stop raving about it.

Also made the Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Carmelized Onions and Sage Breadcrumbs. We liked it, but it made way too much breadcrumb topping? I reduced the butter in the topping and used half storebought, so probably my fault.

ETA: photos are too big, will find a way to post them again later

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

NomiMalone wrote:
Also made the Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Carmelized Onions and Sage Breadcrumbs. We liked it, but it made way too much breadcrumb topping? I reduced the butter in the topping and used half storebought, so probably my fault.

This is one of my favorites! I make it with butternut squash, and I think there's some maple syrup in there that I leave out entirely. Perhaps because butternut squash is a little sweeter than pumpkin. Anyway, I love it!

Just had the Fronch Toast again for breakfast. I only made two pieces last night and just left the rest of the batter in a pyrex in the fridge, bread was already sliced, so I had breakfast in less than 10 minutes! Bonus points for not washing my cast iron that I used for it last night! Anyway, still good. I with lavawitch that the chickpea flour adds the egg texture, but no flavor. I've never made the crepes, I'll have to try them! Oh, I also ate a tempeh white bean sausage patty as a sandwich last night with a tomato and some garlicky tahini spread, and it was fabulous.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

NomiMalone wrote:
I'm cooking from Veganomicon this week. Working my way through the whole book.

I made Mediterranean Cashew-Cucumber Dip. I couldn't get it very creamy, but it was really good and will definitely be making it again.

The Lower-fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake. Amazing and my new favorite chocolate cake recipe. Boyfriend took the rest to work and his coworkers can't stop raving about it.

ETA: photos are too big, will find a way to post them again later

Phone photos!

My ziti was not pretty after a night in the fridge, so I will spare you ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next