| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
Just looked at the online resources for Vegan Diner and there isn't much, huh? Well, hopefully my library has it. Otherwise, I'll make biscuits and gravy, rice pudding, and then cook from something else the rest of the time!

Yes, I've been wondering about this. I'm wondering if I should make a separate discussion thread when I make the official Vegan Diner thread for those who still want to participate in the challenge somehow, but who won't be using Vegan Diner. Or if two challenge threads is a snobby/exclusive concept and/or confusing to all participants.....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Okay. Finally getting around to posting everything I've made so far. No pics, though. I'll have to get better at that in the coming weeks.

1. VWAV Spanokopita - We did the big pie version out of laziness. This was my first time using phyllo dough, but it came together way easier than I expected. Thankfully, Fred's family is Greek too, and they made spano all the time when he was younger. I didn't buy enough spinach, so it could have used more. Next time, I'll add extra nooch and spice up the tofu a bit more. I felt like it was missing a umami/brininess from the lack of feta. Fred balked at first when I suggested adding olives, but I think they would have added that missing component. One of these days, we'll try the VEW version. Maybe during VEW week???

2 & 3. V'Con Chickpeas Romesco & Garlic Saffron Rice - This is exactly the kind of thing I like to take for work lunches. Rich and creamy and filling. It was really easy to make, too. I doubled up the chickpeas, since they needed to be used, and I thought it looked a little too saucy. It ended up being a good decision. I especially loved the rice, though I didn't toast the almonds. This'll make it in the rotation.

4a. VCIYCJ Chocolate Chip Cookies - By no means is this a new recipe. For a good year or so, Fred and I were making these at least once a month. We always add pecans and lessen the oil by half or so. Perfection.

4b. AFR Caldo Verde - Another regular, so it doesn't count toward my personal total. I always use kale, because I love it so, and add extra garlic and potatoes to stretch it a bit. I've blathered on about this soup so much. It never fails to satisfy. I don't usually like fennel, but it works so well here and adds an incredible depth of flavor.

4 (for real). VV Tempeh Asado - We had some portobellos that needed to be used, but I was in the mood for tacos. One of the PPKers in the VV thread mentioned using portobellos in place of the tempeh in this recipe, so I chucked them in the marinade along with the tempeh. Good decision. I loved the difference in texture and the extra earthiness of the 'shrooms. Super tasty, but not as seasoned as I was expecting. Next time, I'd like to try the Ancho Chile version.

5. VV Classic Cabbage with Cilantro-Citrus Vinaigrette - I tasted the dressing before I remembered to add the pepper, and I almost wish I hadn't. Or maybe I added a little too much (black pepper fiend over here). Either way, it was super delicious. Tangy and rich in all the right ways. Once it was on the cabbage mixture, I wished it had a more equal ratio of oil and acid, but the older I get the more I crave acidity. Next time, I'll add an extra tablespoon of OJ and leave out a tablespoon or so of the oil. Still so good as written, though.

6. VV Creamy Chipotle Dressing (Creamy Ancho Chile variation) - We often do a chipotle mayo around here, but I really loved the addition of the lime juice. A couple of tablespoons added so much character. Amazing. We doubled the chipotle, 'cause that's how we roll. After I ate my first taco, I drenched the other two with more dressing. The added spice and smoke from the chiptoles added that something I was missing from the Asado.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yet another person making me want to buy VV!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

bookwormbethie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Just looked at the online resources for Vegan Diner and there isn't much, huh? Well, hopefully my library has it. Otherwise, I'll make biscuits and gravy, rice pudding, and then cook from something else the rest of the time!

Yes, I've been wondering about this. I'm wondering if I should make a separate discussion thread when I make the official Vegan Diner thread for those who still want to participate in the challenge somehow, but who won't be using Vegan Diner. Or if two challenge threads is a snobby/exclusive concept and/or confusing to all participants.....

Two threads seems like it would be confusing. I figure we can all post in the same thread, people will obviously cite the source of the recipe if they're not using Vegan Diner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

kara kara wrote:
2 & 3. V'Con Chickpeas Romesco & Garlic Saffron Rice - This is exactly the kind of thing I like to take for work lunches. Rich and creamy and filling. It was really easy to make, too. I doubled up the chickpeas, since they needed to be used, and I thought it looked a little too saucy. It ended up being a good decision. I especially loved the rice, though I didn't toast the almonds. This'll make it in the rotation.

The Chickpeas Romesco is probably my favourite recipe from Veganomicon. I usually make it with broccoli polenta. Yum!

allularpunk, for some reason the German Amazon page has a more extensive preview of the cookbook available than the US one. It includes recipes for Cherry-Almond-Poppyseed Muffins, Blueberry Nutmeg Muffins, Apple Spice Coffee Cake and Cinnamon Orange Rolls - see here: Vegan Diner - maybe one of these recipes interests you?

I think just one thread would be fine, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I agree with one thread for Vegan Diner. I don't want to accidentally miss anyone's post.

Last night's Viva Vegan dinner (which made a lot of dirty pots) consisted of:

~Pan-fried Tempeh with Sofrito: Thanks go out to the PPKr who suggested I make this last week. It was mmm,mmm good. I was worried our tempeh was too thick, but when I ate it I realized I've always wanted thicker tempeh! :) Only variation was to use canned tomatoes and veg broth. It probably cooked a little longer than it should have, but it tasted pretty perfect.

~Swiss Chard with Raisins & Capers: This was a gorgeous dish, but the taste fell a little flat for me. I think most of the raisins & capers fell to the bottom though and tonight's leftovers will have more flavor.

~Yuca with Cuban Garlic-Lime-Mojo Sauce: The sauce was great, the yuca was great (my first time having it), there was just too much of it. Very good though.

~Real Brown Sugar Limeade: Oh so refreshingly delicious! I like that it wasn't too sweet. I expect we'll be enjoying plenty more of these during the sultry summer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Lot's of yummy looking food in this thread!

I took the lemon poppyseed muffins into work and they were nearly all gone by lunch time. Got good feedback on them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

afr - buffalo tempeh tonight to put on pizza!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

Last night I made the Latin Baked Tofu from Viva Vegan. The marinade was delicious, and the method of roasting, then adding the marinade, and roasting again gave the tofu great texture! In the future, I would slice my tofu a little thinner, because I really like the chewy exterior. I definitely could see this becoming a go-to tofu recipe for me (maybe with a tablespoon less oil), because it's not especially time-consuming, flavorful, and can be made with things I keep around the house anyway!

As we speak, I have sliced oranges and lemons soaking in brandy, syrup, and orange juice ready to become VV Sangria after work! Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Victoire wrote:
Last night I made the Latin Baked Tofu from Viva Vegan. The marinade was delicious, and the method of roasting, then adding the marinade, and roasting again gave the tofu great texture! In the future, I would slice my tofu a little thinner, because I really like the chewy exterior. I definitely could see this becoming a go-to tofu recipe for me (maybe with a tablespoon less oil), because it's not especially time-consuming, flavorful, and can be made with things I keep around the house anyway!

As we speak, I have sliced oranges and lemons soaking in brandy, syrup, and orange juice ready to become VV Sangria after work! Looking forward to it!

That tofu sounds great. mmmm, sangria!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kara kara wrote:
4a. VCIYCJ Chocolate Chip Cookies - By no means is this a new recipe. For a good year or so, Fred and I were making these at least once a month. We always add pecans and lessen the oil by half or so. Perfection.

glad to hear, i made the recipe once as is and was sorely disappointed in how oily the cookies were, i was sad to toss them out :( perhaps i will try again and reduce the oil by half. i use julie's choc chip cookie recipe from vegan diner as my go-to choc chip cookie recipe, but i wouldn't mind changing it up every once in a while

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Zula wrote:
~Pan-fried Tempeh with Sofrito: Thanks go out to the PPKr who suggested I make this last week. It was mmm,mmm good. I was worried our tempeh was too thick, but when I ate it I realized I've always wanted thicker tempeh! :) Only variation was to use canned tomatoes and veg broth. It probably cooked a little longer than it should have, but it tasted pretty perfect.

So glad you liked it! I think I cooked that recipe or the Aji Amarillo Tempeh recipe at least once a week for a long while after I got that book. I make the Arroz Con Seitan a lot as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

Last night I made VB beer battered tofu. It was so great to have "fish" and chips again! I am lazy, so those are frozen fries instead of homemade, but since I may not have much time to cook over the next two weeks, I got a head start on the next challenge and made the Very Secret Sauce from Vegan Diner.

*cracks open a Guinness*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made the corn waffles from VB. They are lovely and crispy, and I think they'd be as great with syrup or jam as they are with beans and salsa. Yum!

ETA: I got 7 waffles that are about 6" (15-ish cm) in diameter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

tonight's plan was the ancho lentil tacos from the blog but i messed up my lentils.
i bought them, dried, french green, a month ago, and used 1 cup + 3 cups water, and after 20 minutes or so, some were cooked and done, and others were still crunchy. dunno what happened. i brought all to a boil with the lid on and then lowered to a simmer and made sure it wasn't a rapid simmer but just a nice low key simmer.

back up dinner plan was just plain black bean burritos with onions and peppers and such.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Would it be taboo for someone who has the book to PM a recipe to someone who doesn't?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 am 

Tonight I enjoyed the DELICIOUS sangria from Viva Vegan (I'm a little tipsy from it now!). I highly recommend! I like to consider myself a sangria expert of sorts, and this is definitely one of the top. For chopped fruit, I included strawberries and nectarines, but I imagine just about any combination would be delicious (apples and pears maybe?).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Perfect pancakes for breakfast on Wednesday. As always, they turned out perfect. This recipe hassle believers out of several omni family members.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pesto Risotto with Roasted Zucchini (and red peppers and asparagus) from the PPK blog. This was fantastic! The manfriend ate two servings, which is rare. He did not eat the zucchini and asparagus, though. My one worry was the the pesto was mega salty made as written, but since i accidentally bought low sodium vegetable broth, it all evened out. If I was making the pesto for pasta, I would cut the salt in half, since I salt my pasta water. (And I'm a salt fiend.) So! All the stirring was definitely worth it. I rarely make risotto just because it's so time consuming, but this time I'm glad I did. That pesto is the most delicious pesto I've made. Love the brightness of the cilantro and the depth that the thyme adds. Can't wait for lunch and leftovers!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 am 

allularpunk wrote:
Pesto Risotto with Roasted Zucchini (and red peppers and asparagus) from the PPK blog. This was fantastic! The manfriend ate two servings, which is rare. .... So! All the stirring was definitely worth it. I rarely make risotto just because it's so time consuming, but this time I'm glad I did. That pesto is the most delicious pesto I've made. Love the brightness of the cilantro and the depth that the thyme adds. Can't wait for lunch and leftovers!

I love this risotto recipe! It was the first time I'd ever made risotto and all my omni friends who tried it were raving. Now that it's spring and zucchini is becoming more available, I think it's time to make this again.

Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Weeks 2 & 3** Isa & Ter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

8ball made me make the Wheat-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Veganomicon. I then realised that I have actually made these before just when I got the book. I think I'd like to play up the hob-nob similarity more and include some whole oats. I did decrease the oil slightly.

I also did eventually get around to making the Creamy Corn-Filled Empanadas (Viva Vegan). I don't know if it was the long rest in the fridge or what, but the dough was totally fuss free to work with. I did have a lot of them split open in the oven though. Did I not moisten the edge enough? Not pinch the seam together hard enough? Too much effort to make often, but very good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sofrito wrote:
Perfect pancakes for breakfast on Wednesday. As always, they turned out perfect. This recipe hassle believers out of several omni family members.

oh holy heck, those look freakin fantastic. i was going to do fronch toast tomorrow but to avoid a trip to the store to find appropriate bakery bread, etc... i'm defintiely doing pancakes. i was thinking of doing the puffy pillow pancakes from the blog (♥ that recipe!!!!) but perhaps i'll do the pancake recipe from vegan brunch....... mmmm.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:

Last night I made VB beer battered tofu. It was so great to have "fish" and chips again! I am lazy, so those are frozen fries instead of homemade, but since I may not have much time to cook over the next two weeks, I got a head start on the next challenge and made the Very Secret Sauce from Vegan Diner.

*cracks open a Guinness*

Oh man I love that tofu recipe! I make it once a year as a special treat!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 pm 

Today I made Sautéed Spinach and Tomatoes (Veganomicon, Italian variation) to accompany my leftovers. Delicious!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't have Vegan Diner on me right now but I think this is the chicken seitan:
http://www.everydaydish.tv/recipe/spicy ... an-sausage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next