| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Weeks 2 & 3** Isa & Ter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

nudge, nudge, did y'all notice? i got one of the mods (thank you!!!) to change the subject of this entire discussion thread to weeks 2&3 rather than just week 2. tra la la, now i can safely post the vegan diner thread as weeks 4&5. because i didn't want people to be like what happened to week 3?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Italian Feast sausages from Vegan Brunch. Don't have a picture of just the sausages, but I put them on a teese pizza I made with onions and peppers.

I've also made the Coffee Chip muffins from Vegan Brunch twice (omnis ate them all the first time and left me none haha). Not pictured, but they turned out perfect! Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

So I made Mac Daddy (with peas) the other day.
Here's a horrible pic that I just took because I felt like I should share it. Terrible kitchen lighting makes it look even more yellow.

For the most part I found it... Underwhelming. It didn't taste like cheese, though it did give me happy filled with cheese feelings. Mr Moon hasn't tried it and I doubt it will happen. I don't think he would like it.

Maybe it wasn't salty enough? Maybe I'd prefer a different version. Maybe spicy Mac Daddy is right for me. Maybe I need to look for more Mac and cheese recipes.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. I have eaten a pile of it. I am going to freeze some leftovers and I know I will look forward to them when I decide to eat them. But I have to think about it as macaroni casserole, not as a mac and cheese replacement.

Finally, the last recipe for this challenge. Chickpea noodle soup.

I made it with water, not stock or with bouillon so I could get the flavour from the recipe. I also used kamut spaghetti as I can't get soba noodles easily.

This was easy and delicious! I used white miso because its what I had and I used more than the third cup called for because I really liked the salty flavour it gave. A bowl of this stuff and a glass of white wine completely made my night. And hubby ate it, so, yay.

I'll be really happy for the leftovers of THAT tomorrow. So much slurpy goodness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

That soup is my favorite sick soup. It's so good!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:35 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

kara kara wrote:
That soup is my favorite sick soup. It's so good!

Same here! I made that every time I'm sick. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the VB omelettes (which are also posted on the ppk blog) for dinner on Thursday! They were delicious! I filled them with panfried asparagus (the first of this year) and Robin Robertson's Soy-tan Dream cutlets cut into stripes, glazed with some fig balsamic and a pinch of sugar.

Together this was a really nice and filling meal and full of protein to boot. Will certainly make that recipe again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes from VWAV this morning. I've made them before but this was my first time using the almond extract. So divine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This week's recipes from Viva Vegan were the annatto oil (ok, so it's barely a recipe,but I'm counting it!), latin shredded seitan, yellow rice with garlic, and pickled red onions. I used steamed red seitan I had stashed in my freezer for the Latin shredded seitan--the flavor was great but the texture was a bit soft. I would like to make this again with firmer seitan. The yellow rice was so good I had to get the leftovers in the fridge quickly and not eat too much. I don't like fussing with elaborate side dishes and this is quick and easy.

And now I really want the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I kind of failed at the cookbook challenge - been too busy lately and had a ton of stuff to eat up in my freezer. BUT tonight I made Isa pizza and V'con caesar salad - such a good meal! Even my omni dad went back for a second piece of pizza. I unfortunately didn't get any photos :(

I also made the eggplant & black eyed pea curry from the PPK blog this week - I totally messed up and used way too small of a pot, but it turned out well. And I made the cast iron stir-fry from the PPK blog as well - I've made it before, but holy cow, it's soooo good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the 'perfect pancakes' from vegan brunch (also in VWAV) were a fail for me. but to be fair, i had a killer sinus pressure headache so maybe i wasn't at my best. i stirred up all the liquids together with the soy milk (maybe i should have only used 1 cup of soy milk instead of 1-1/4?) the batter was really lumpy, even after a good whisking which i didn't want to do. i cooked up a couple pancakes and i had flour pockets in them :( i dumped out the batter, wiped out the skillet, and quickly defrosted some leftover frozen puffy pillow pancakes from the PPK blog and then heated them up in the cleaned skillet. that will now be my forever tried and true favorite basic pancake recipe.

no photo tonight to share.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I finished the challenge off making the coriander seitan from VEW (yum!) which totals my recipe count to 10! I mostly used Vegan Eats World yet I'm still looking forward to that challenge. I love this book so much.

Here's a picture of the Italian Cashewcotta Cake from VEW that I brought to Ameyfm's potluck last week. Scroll down to the dessert pic for a good lookin' piece of cheesecake! http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... iends.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's taken me two weeks to get around to making the Spicy Peanut & Eggplant Soup from V'con. It's more time consuming for soup than I'm used to (slow cooker all the way) but worth the effort.

I reduced the oil to 1 tablespoon total and left out the fried shallots. I threw in some cooked red lentils at the end, and one bird's eye chili left whole and taken out at the end was spicy enough for me (spice wuss).

The soup was supposed to be my last for the cookbook challenge this week, but boyfriend got Nutella stuck in his head and we made the Not-tella from V'con yesterday (well, I made it and he supervised).

The store was out of peanut oil, so I bit the bullet and got hazelnut oil. I used half hazelnut and half veg oil for the recipe. Processing the roasted hazelnuts smelled so amazing! The texture isn't the same, but the taste is right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:
the 'perfect pancakes' from vegan brunch (also in VWAV) were a fail for me. but to be fair, i had a killer sinus pressure headache so maybe i wasn't at my best. i stirred up all the liquids together with the soy milk (maybe i should have only used 1 cup of soy milk instead of 1-1/4?) the batter was really lumpy, even after a good whisking which i didn't want to do. i cooked up a couple pancakes and i had flour pockets in them :( i dumped out the batter, wiped out the skillet, and quickly defrosted some leftover frozen puffy pillow pancakes from the PPK blog and then heated them up in the cleaned skillet. that will now be my forever tried and true favorite basic pancake recipe.

I've often had flour pockets. I find they don't make too much of a difference. I've never managed to have only a few lumps in the batter.

Going to make the chickpea and brocolli casserole for dinner and then some cookies from V'con to finish up on this challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This week I made three quickbread recipes. The first was lemon poppyseed muffins from VB, very good. The second was the banana bread from the blog, also very good. Finally yesterday I made cranberry orange muffins from the VB, these were the winner. I subbed 1/3 of the flour for whole wheat and used a combo of zest and juice from two oranges and 1 meyer lemon. My husband said these were the best muffins I had ever made and that says a lot since I have made ALOT of muffins in the 17 years we have been together. I also made coleslaw with the cilantro vinagerette from Viva Vigan. I did add a little sugar and it tasted really good but a little oiley, no pics of this one.

Image[/url]
DSC00845 by brontrent[/img]

Image[/url]
DSC00846 by brontrent[/img]

Image[/url]
DSC00848 by brontrent[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made a little Indian feast from Terry's Vegan Eats World. This was my first time cooking from it, and I was impressed with how fast and easy these recipes were. I made the Golden Tandoori Tofu, Okra Masala, and Tamarind Chutney. The chutney is just like ones I've had at Indian restaurants. Nice sweet/sour flavor. The tofu was very nice served over rice. My favorite was the okra. I love okra. The okra masala is spicy and tomato-y. Will definitely make again.

I'm also making the Artichoka Paella later today.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

brontrent wrote:
Finally yesterday I made cranberry orange muffins from the VB, these were the winner. I subbed 1/3 of the flour for whole wheat and used a combo of zest and juice from two oranges and 1 meyer lemon. My husband said these were the best muffins I had ever made and that says a lot since I have made ALOT of muffins in the 17 years we have been together.

I'll have to make these, they look great! And I have some cranberries in the freezer that I need to use.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I also made the tandoori tofu today. Mine seemed to need a bigger pan and didn't really get crispy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I've often had flour pockets. I find they don't make too much of a difference. I've never managed to have only a few lumps in the batter.

Going to make the chickpea and brocolli casserole for dinner and then some cookies from V'con to finish up on this challenge.

true, even with the puffy pillow pancakes the batter isn't lump free, but it wasn't nearly as lumpy as the perfect pancake batter. i've never had flour pockets with the puffy pillow pancake recipe. just amazing tasty bites of delicious pancakes, no flour bites.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlechickadee wrote:
brontrent wrote:
Finally yesterday I made cranberry orange muffins from the VB, these were the winner. I subbed 1/3 of the flour for whole wheat and used a combo of zest and juice from two oranges and 1 meyer lemon. My husband said these were the best muffins I had ever made and that says a lot since I have made ALOT of muffins in the 17 years we have been together.

I'll have to make these, they look great! And I have some cranberries in the freezer that I need to use.

they are sooooo good!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 pm 

Today I made Mom's Morning Casserole (VB) with Cheezy Sauce (also VB) and Sautéed Spinach and Tomatoes (Veganomicon; again, haha!). It was good but I'd prefer a higher amount of potatoes in the casserole. I steamed my tempeh before assembling the casserole, but apart from that I followed the recipes as written.

I also made the Lemon Gem Cupcakes (VwaV) but instead of frosting them I just put a bit of powdered sugar on top. These cupcakes are delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

fruitbat wrote:
I also made the tandoori tofu today. Mine seemed to need a bigger pan and didn't really get crispy.

Mine did not get crispy, either. It was more like tofu and onions in a thick cream sauce.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Change of plan. Going to make the jelly donut cupcakes instead of cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

littlechickadee wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

Mine did not get crispy, either. It was more like tofu and onions in a thick cream sauce.

Maybe it isn't supposed to be? Not all baked tofu recipes are even if I expect them to be. Then I'm all disappointed when they aren't because I just prefer my tofu that way. The taste is good, I'm just not sold on the texture of the tofu.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Change of plan again, no baking this evening since I have run out of salt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 am 

Finally getting around to posting my last Viva Vegan recipes after a busy weekend of gardening.

Friday night the husband & I made the Cubano Vegano Sandwichs with Mojitos. I was really looking forward to these because they're sandwiches obviously and I do love sandwiches. I even bought a cast iron press for the occasion which I look forward to using a lot this summer.

Anyway I used the Steamed White Seitan that I had made earlier, German mustard and Daiya Monterey Jack wedge. This was my first time trying the wedge and vegan ham. I thought the seitan could have been sliced thinner, the cheese could have been meltier and I thought the cheese kind of dominated the flavors. When we made it again Saturday night I got the pans way hotter, probably too hot. I thought the flavors blended together better though and think this sandwich would be very good for a decadent treat once in a while. The husband absolutely loved it. The Mojitos with homegrown Spearmint were fab of course!

I'm really glad I chose to cook from Viva Vegan. Looking back over all the recipes I made, I rated most of the them 4 or 5 stars. It was a real winner! Unbelievably I ended up making 24 recipes because so many of them were components of other recipes. I am looking forward to being in the kitchen a little less in the coming weeks. :)

Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next