| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am 
Huffs Nooch

allularpunk wrote:
Fronch Toast and Tempeh and White Bean Sausage Patties from VWAV. The Fronch Toast is fantastic! I just made the two small slices for dinner and saved the rest of the liquid/dry bread for snacks and lunches. It really does taste just like I remember French toast tasting, even though I haven't had it in at least 5 years. I was afraid the chickpea flour would make it taste too beany, but no! The sausage patties are just kind of ok. The seasoning is fine (although I added 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to make them spicier!), but I found them a bit mushy. Next time I would add a little bit of wheat gluten to firm them up a bit. Otherwise, a very tasty dinner!

Your photos are making me hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

NomiMalone wrote:
I'm cooking from Veganomicon this week. Working my way through the whole book.

I made Mediterranean Cashew-Cucumber Dip. I couldn't get it very creamy, but it was really good and will definitely be making it again.

The Lower-fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake. Amazing and my new favorite chocolate cake recipe. Boyfriend took the rest to work and his coworkers can't stop raving about it.

Also made the Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Carmelized Onions and Sage Breadcrumbs. We liked it, but it made way too much breadcrumb topping? I reduced the butter in the topping and used half storebought, so probably my fault.

ETA: photos are too big, will find a way to post them again later

I've made that cake a couple of times. The chocolate flavor is deep & delicious. The Ziti sounds great. I love the three foods in the title.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Zula wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Fronch Toast and Tempeh and White Bean Sausage Patties from VWAV. The Fronch Toast is fantastic! I just made the two small slices for dinner and saved the rest of the liquid/dry bread for snacks and lunches. It really does taste just like I remember French toast tasting, even though I haven't had it in at least 5 years. I was afraid the chickpea flour would make it taste too beany, but no! The sausage patties are just kind of ok. The seasoning is fine (although I added 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to make them spicier!), but I found them a bit mushy. Next time I would add a little bit of wheat gluten to firm them up a bit. Otherwise, a very tasty dinner!

Your photos are making me hungry.

Thanks! Just wait until I do my blog post with real photos and not crappy iPod photos, haha.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the photos on your blog are stunning!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am 

Oh, my! Thank you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't start on this until next week because my parents are in town this week and we are eating out a lot. Next week I plan to cook from Vegan Eats World, which I just bought and haven't used yet! I can't wait! I'm going to make the Golden Tandoori Tofu, Shredded Cabbage with Toasted Mustard Seeds, and Okra Masala, and also the Artichoke Skillet Paella. I know we are cooking from Vegan Eats world later in the challenge,too, but there are so many recipes I want to try that I don't want to wait. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@littkechickadee, that of course is no problem at all, no cookbook challenge police here ;)

i love VEW but i do find it a bit overwhelming. i'm so glad it got voted in as one of our challenge books because i don't use it as much as i would like to.

i did make the beer-bathed seitan stew (?? the one that calls for belgian beer?) for st patrick's day and that was soooo awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have made a lot of recipes from all the Isa & Terry books so I thought it would be fun to cook from the blog for the challenge. Last night I made the Rice Noodle Salad With Grapefruit-Sriracha Vinaigrette except I had to make quite a few changes, I don't like grapefruit so I used blood oranges, I ran out of Sriracha after using a tablespoon so I used Franks for the other two, and I also subbed white miso for Dijon which is something I do quite often. I also didn't have enough mint growing so I used a combo of Thai Basil and cilantro. I think with all those subs it ended up a little too sweet. A combo of lime and orange might have worked better. I also think I should have added chopped peanuts because there wasn't any crunch. The boyfriend was totally crazy about it though. It was also my first time using the super firm tofu which was really amazing! I'm going to always get it from now on, no pressing!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

LazySmurf wrote:
I have made a lot of recipes from all the Isa & Terry books so I thought it would be fun to cook from the blog for the challenge. Last night I made the Rice Noodle Salad With Grapefruit-Sriracha Vinaigrette except I had to make quite a few changes, I don't like grapefruit so I used blood oranges, I ran out of Sriracha after using a tablespoon so I used Franks for the other two, and I also subbed white miso for Dijon which is something I do quite often. I also didn't have enough mint growing so I used a combo of Thai Basil and cilantro. I think with all those subs it ended up a little too sweet. A combo of lime and orange might have worked better. I also think I should have added chopped peanuts because there wasn't any crunch. The boyfriend was totally crazy about it though. It was also my first time using the super firm tofu which was really amazing! I'm going to always get it from now on, no pressing!

I've never eaten anything like that, it sounds really interesting. Good to know about the super firm tofu, I've been wondering about using it myself. That photo is Ah-Mazing!!! I love those pink noodles!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

From Viva Vegan, yesterday I made the Cuban Black Bean Soup with Cashew Crema and served it with a side of rice.

I'm not a rice person (especially white), but I gobbled this up. I used the recipe in the book with Earth Balance and salt. For the soup, I cooked the beans from scratch, used homemade Sofrito, canned tomatoes, veg broth instead of wine and added the optional liquid smoke. I pureed most of the soup with an immersion blender. I believe this is the black bean soup I've been searching for my whole life; it is smoky and full of flavor. I used lime juice in the Cashew Crema and boy, oh boy I just wanted to eat it by the spoonful. It was delectable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Zula- that homeade sofrito makes everything delicious. If you still have some left I recommend the tempeh. And the pink noodles were awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Black Bean and Quiona Soup last night from the blog as well...

It was ok. Not great, not bad. My partner didn't really like it, he thought it was bland (as did I - even though I doubled the spices, added chiplote AND jalepeno AND salt) and he didn't like the quiona in the soup. I liked it ok though. I just thought it was bland. My palette is very trained to BIG flavors I think.

That being said, I just had some for leftovers here at my desk at work and it was pretty darn tasty. Guess it is just one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. Some soups are like that.

This one is very panrty friendly, so I might make it again, if I need something quick, healthy and have all the ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Last night I made the sunflower mac from the blog and the tempeh sausage crumbles from VWAV. I suppose neither of those dishes are especially photogenic, nor do I have the best camera in the world, but here are some photos:

Tempeh sausage: I don't know why I've never made this before. Probably because when I first got the book years ago I didn't really know anything about tempeh. Anyway, as unappealing as it looks the recipe is great as written! I did end up adding a tiny bit of maple syrup at the end which I think took it from great to WOWWWWW. I ate some of it as a side dish and crumbled some into the sunflower mac (VERY tasty btw). It reminds me of Italian sausage so I think it would work well in lasagne.

Sunflower mac: Pictured with a ton of frozen kale, collards and broccoli rabe mixed in. I've actually been experimenting a lot lately with sunflower seeds in "creamy" sauces and I have sort of mixed feelings about them. Despite hours of soaking and having a fairly powerful blender, I find that there's always a little bit of leftover graininess, which I suppose isn't the end of the world but I don't really love it. I also find that sunflower seeds have sort of an "earthy" taste that is quite noticeable in more subtle sauces, and I'm not sure if I like it. This sauce is definitely cheezy, but it's not so in-your-face that the sunfloweryness (that's a word, I swear) disappears. So I thought this was good, but not great. My boyfriend LOVED it however, so to each their own. One other note: I found that this recipe yielded a ridiculous amount of sauce for the amount of pasta indicated, even after letting it reduce down quite a bit. I added something like two cups of frozen green stuff to the pot and it was still really saucy. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Depends on how much you like sauce, I guess!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the chesapeake tempeh cakes from Vegan Brunch this evening. Massive thumbs down. I think I am one of those people that just don't like tempeh. When I had it boiling in the water and soy sauce I was gagging so I only managed a mouthful. I had used it last week and I was ok about it but as time went on and I made my way through leftovers the cracks in the shortlived relationship were becoming very noticeable. Such a pity.

Luckily I had 2 peanut butter oatmeal cookies left so I had them instead.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Last night I mde the Pad Thai salad from AfR for dinner. Yummy & simple.

Tonight is a tortilla casserole thing from Viva Vegan. I've been thinking about it all day!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Quote:
This sauce is definitely cheezy, but it's not so in-your-face that the sunfloweryness (that's a word, I swear) disappears. So I thought this was good, but not great.

yes, this. i made it today. and there is definitely a lot of sauce, yet the portion is small unless you add a lot of greens.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

daisychain wrote:
I think I am one of those people that just don't like tempeh.

Me too. To me it's like the mould on a brie mixed with potatoes. (I also don't do mushrooms and tempeh is a bit mushroomy I suppose.) I sub tofu or seitan for sliced tempeh, and often use cooked soybeans for crumbled tempeh.

Today I had Colombian Coconut Lentils and Rice from Vegan Eats World. Lovely. I love rice and beans/lentils. I also love cooking them with a habanero (poked with a fork and left whole). Gives a nice bit of warmth without making the dish too spicy hot for a whimp like me.

I actually made a new to me Isa recipe yesterday too, although I hadn't planned it. I needed a sauce for some wraps so I threw together the miso mayo from AFR. It was quick and easy to make. Nice and creamy, but just too heavy on the miso for my tastes so I'd use less another time (I used red miso).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:53 pm 

Limone, those tempeh sausage crumbles are one of my favorite recipes in that book! I love the idea of adding a little maple syrup at the end. Yum! I think you might have turned me off of the sunflower mac though...I'll have to think about it.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Limone wrote:
Last night I made the sunflower mac from the blog and the tempeh sausage crumbles from VWAV. I suppose neither of those dishes are especially photogenic, nor do I have the best camera in the world, but here are some photos:

I actually think your photos look delish! I can't believe I still don't have VWAV, I've got to get my hands on a copy. I probably like more sauce than most, but I like having leftovers to freeze or doing a baked pasta which uses up a lot of sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

daisychain wrote:
I made the chesapeake tempeh cakes from Vegan Brunch this evening. Massive thumbs down. I think I am one of those people that just don't like tempeh. When I had it boiling in the water and soy sauce I was gagging so I only managed a mouthful. I had used it last week and I was ok about it but as time went on and I made my way through leftovers the cracks in the shortlived relationship were becoming very noticeable. Such a pity.

That's a bummer. I've been interested in these for awhile, then again I am a fan of tempeh so maybe I'll like them better. Good on you for having cookies on hand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:

Sunflower mac: Pictured with a ton of frozen kale, collards and broccoli rabe mixed in. I've actually been experimenting a lot lately with sunflower seeds in "creamy" sauces and I have sort of mixed feelings about them. Despite hours of soaking and having a fairly powerful blender, I find that there's always a little bit of leftover graininess, which I suppose isn't the end of the world but I don't really love it. I also find that sunflower seeds have sort of an "earthy" taste that is quite noticeable in more subtle sauces, and I'm not sure if I like it. This sauce is definitely cheezy, but it's not so in-your-face that the sunfloweryness (that's a word, I swear) disappears. So I thought this was good, but not great. My boyfriend LOVED it however, so to each their own. One other note: I found that this recipe yielded a ridiculous amount of sauce for the amount of pasta indicated, even after letting it reduce down quite a bit. I added something like two cups of frozen green stuff to the pot and it was still really saucy. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Depends on how much you like sauce, I guess!

Yes, the sunflower mac recipe makes a ton of sauce! I usually use the sauce 2 nights in a row, and then freeze what is left, portioned out as to what could cover 2 portions of noodles. I usually end up with 2 or 3 small containers in my freezer. This is the only sunflower seed creamy sauce I have made and I really like. I always add vegan worchestershire and hot sauce to it. I soak the seeds for a long time too and pulverize the best I can in my food processor. I think this is definitely one of those recipes that you either love or don't.

I need to get over my fear of tempeh..... those black spots the package tells me are natural but I know it's mold!

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

daisychain wrote:

Before you write off tempeh, try the Vegan Brunch bacon. Most people see, to love those Chesapeake cakes, but my mom and I, both tempeh lovers, thought they were gross a d threw the whole batch out after only a few bites.

Weird since it seems a universally raved about recipe. Plain tempeh isn't all that fabulous either.

Tempeh bacon, mayo, nice crunchy lettuce, avocado, red onion, on a lovely fresh bread. Try that. If you don't like that, give it up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fruitbat wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I think I am one of those people that just don't like tempeh.

Me too. To me it's like the mould on a brie mixed with potatoes. (I also don't do mushrooms and tempeh is a bit mushroomy I suppose.) I sub tofu or seitan for sliced tempeh, and often use cooked soybeans for crumbled tempeh.

interesting, are you using cooked soybeans from the can or making them from scratch so maybe they aren't as soft as the ones in the can??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zula wrote:
daisychain wrote:

That's a bummer. I've been interested in these for awhile, then again I am a fan of tempeh so maybe I'll like them better. Good on you for having cookies on hand.

agreed, cookies saved the day!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

daisychain wrote:

Aww. I've barely ever been a tempeh fan either; I tried making the chesapeake cakes too some time way back and was also not into them at all. If you do have/want to try tempeh again, I would recommend the pastry puffs from Vegan Brunch (I think that's the one?) I thought they were awesome- they've been the only application of tempeh I've been a fan of. They really are so very good!

edited to replace numerous missing letters. Can't type tonight!

Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next