| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protein-rich breakfast ideas?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

All I can think of is beans on toast or tofu scramble, but any other ideas? The faster/easier, the better. Trying to get away from just a banana or a bowl of cereal. We usually do green smoothies, but have been out of protein powder for a while.

Post subject: Re: Protein-rich breakfast ideas?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Tempeh bacon, or seitan sausages, made ahead on the weekend, then just heated up for breakfast.
I like to make high protein muffins or scones by replacing a lot of the flour in a recipe with vital wheat gluten and protein powder. I also sweeten them with splenda to keep the carbs lower. Once again, make a batch on the weekend. I keep a few out and freeze the rest. Then when I want one for breakfast I just throw it in the microwave and it's defrosted in about a minute.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i love quick oats with peanut or almond butter stirred in + nuts + chai seeds + hemp seeds. hemp & chai seeds are pretty high in protein, i believe.

i also love miso soup with tons and TONS of tofu & wakame. we make a HUGE pot on sundays and store it in the fridge to pull from for the week (miso soup for breakfast is one of my favorites!).

breakfast sammies are yummy as well. i'll cook up some salt & pepper tofu on sundays and then my spouse with throw a slice or two on a whole wheat english muffin with one of those Kroger Brand (Simple Organic, i think it's called) faux sausage patties or tempeh bacon.

ooooh, he also loves the gardien chicken strips on whole wheat buttermilk biscuits. i bet those are kinda high in protein.

porridge made with quinoa and soy milk would me higher in protein as well. you could toss in some dried fruit like apricots, cranberries and raisins. nuts, chia and hemp seeds would be good - and maybe a sprinkling of wheat germ or something, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going to try some overnight oats with chia seeds and then peanut butter in the morning. I wanted to make some muffins this weekend, but feeling too lazy. I usually do that, though. Make a bunch, freeze them and then defrost to eat with nut butter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Breakfast tacos are pretty high in protein, tofu scramble, tempeh bacon, refried beans, vegetables, black beans, whatever you like just keep the components in the fridge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've never mastered the art of tofu scramble, but I've been very curious about frittatas. They seem easier. Plus (if they are anything like pre-gan version) easy to make ahead and reheat. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? Texture is very important to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm 
Chip Strong

Abelskiver wrote:
I've never mastered the art of tofu scramble, but I've been very curious about frittatas. They seem easier. Plus (if they are anything like pre-gan version) easy to make ahead and reheat. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? Texture is very important to me.

We make a sort of frittata that is basically tofu scramble w/ veggies encased in a chickpea flour base. It reheats easily and would be high in protein thanks to tofu + chickpeas. We seriously just scramble tofu with spices and veggies (and some cheese if you like) and then pour it into a basic socca batter (1 cup chickpea flour, 1 cup water, a little olive oil & salt) and then cook in cast iron pan in the oven.

(socca recipe we use as a base: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/dining/191mrex.html)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Does it have to be "breakfast food" per se? Half the time I do a green smoothie with flax and protein powder but the other half I tend to do sandwiches. I ask because I was struggling to come up with different, make-ahead breakfasts I could take with me to work that had a good amount of protein and then realized a-ha, Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. (I don't care if my coworkers think I'm weird for eating tempeh ruebens at 8:30 am. I've already been up for at least 3 hours and gotten in a workout.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

erynne936 wrote:
Abelskiver wrote:

We make a sort of frittata that is basically tofu scramble w/ veggies encased in a chickpea flour base. It reheats easily and would be high in protein thanks to tofu + chickpeas. We seriously just scramble tofu with spices and veggies (and some cheese if you like) and then pour it into a basic socca batter (1 cup chickpea flour, 1 cup water, a little olive oil & salt) and then cook in cast iron pan in the oven.

(socca recipe we use as a base: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/dining/191mrex.html)

This sounds awesome! I bet if you made the tofu scramble in the cast iron skillet and then just poured the socca batter over it, it would come together even easier :) I'm all about using as few pots and pans as possible!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Randomly just saw this and thought of you! Beans for protein in a breakfast cookie!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You just blew my mind. Never heard of socca but I definitely want to be a part of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, breakfast tacos/burritos with beans would be great. I don't usually have the mental capacity to cook an entire breakfast in the morning, so I would probably prefer something that can be made ahead and refrigerated, like seitan/bean sausages and then enjoy them with toast and/or fruit.

I also make smoothies with silken tofu and peanut flour sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I make the Tofulish breakfast: red lentils and quinoa cooked together in a 1:1 ratio (with 2:1 water plus broth powder), once it's cooked I add a handful or two of spinach and let it wilt down, then add nooch, braggs and sriracha. So filling and full to the brim with protein.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I am a bit of an obsessive list maker. This is my list of high protein breakfasts:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1brE ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

Savory Oats (bring oats to boil for 5 minutes the night before), in the morning, while heating it up throw in a handful of precooked beans, some crumbled tofu -- it is super easy and a big protein boost.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:
I am a bit of an obsessive list maker. This is my list of high protein breakfasts:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1brE ... sp=sharing

<3

Thank you for this!

I just got a package of Vegg. Wondering if I can use it, scrambled tofu and some chickpea flour to make a frittata. I could add in chopped tempeh bacon or sausages.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

erynne936 wrote:
Abelskiver wrote:

Genius!!! I am totally going to try this! I love socca, and I love tofu scramble. Thanks for the inspiration!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe it's a weird breakfast, but I make chickpea "tuna" salad sandwiches for breakfast sometimes. It keeps me so much fuller than any thing else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Kale Wreath

j-dub wrote:
I make the Tofulish breakfast: red lentils and quinoa cooked together in a 1:1 ratio (with 2:1 water plus broth powder), once it's cooked I add a handful or two of spinach and let it wilt down, then add nooch, braggs and sriracha. So filling and full to the brim with protein.

Eating this for breakfast/brunch right now, except instead of spinach I added a ton of kale. So tasty and nourishing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

If you're pressed for time in the mornings, you could make a big batch of breakfast burritos over the weekend, wrap them individually in foil, and freeze them. I like to do this with burritos anyway, then you just take off the foil when you want one, wrap it in a paper towel, and microwave for a minute on each side. So easy!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pistachiorose wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Eating this for breakfast/brunch right now, except instead of spinach I added a ton of kale. So tasty and nourishing!

So the red lentils and quinoa become a mush that I could eat over toast or something? I am intrigued!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

Work backwards with the high-protein foods.... so seitan, tempeh, tofu, beans, and protein powder...

We really like chickpea flour pancakes for breakfast (besan chilla):
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... an-chilla/

You could also make a crustless quiche: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... ur-quiche/

I have also made this bean scramble that was very good:
http://veg-am.blogspot.ca/2011/10/1-foo ... -4_27.html

I haven't converted yet but I've tried sweet red lentils with cinnamon and it was actually really good:
http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/03/07 ... ugar-free/

If you get some protein powder, these are pretty simple protein cakes you bake in the microwave although it calls for psyllium:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/12 ... oop-train/

I haven't actually tried red lentil granola yet but you could try that!
http://powerhungry.com/2013/02/grain-fr ... l-granola/

Hope this helps!
(My standard breakfast is rolled oats + protein powder + chia seeds)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm 
Chip Strong

Abelskiver wrote:
You just blew my mind. Never heard of socca but I definitely want to be a part of it.

As a gluten free vegan socca is one of my true loves. It is also good baked with some tomatoes and pesto spread on top. Or just the basic recipe I posted with the onions and rosemary. I am so excited about socca! You can put anything in it! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:

This is my kind of breakfast!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

pickledtreats wrote:
pistachiorose wrote:
j-dub wrote:

So the red lentils and quinoa become a mush that I could eat over toast or something? I am intrigued!

Yeah! It's great over toast. And with ketchup if that floats your boat. If I'm feeling like I need a little fat to start the day I add a spoonful of tahini.

I also like to make a big batch on Sunday night then portion it out and just pop it in the microwave on work days because I am not very functional in the morning.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD