| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Digital organisation of recipes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm thinking it's time to get with the modern age and somehow store all my recipes that are in folders and on scrap bits of paper, digitally. Any advice from someone who has done this? Would you recommend some sort of specific "recipe storing" electronic gadget, or just get something like an iPad and store them on there?

Seems like most of the recipe gadgets require you to type in all of your recipes, which will take an eternity.

Post subject: Re: Digital organisation of recipes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 am 
Saggy Butt

I use onetsp.com and really like it, but you do have to enter all the recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i have a separate e-mail for my recipes. good for subscribing to blogs too. then i access it from my ipod. (great for shopping, or when on vacation) you can add the recipes to as many folders and subfolders as you like, and you can set up filters too, to automatically add recipes to folders. (especially since you can currently only search through subject lines. i have a quinoa filter and kale and lentils and molasses and bananas. set up filters for ingredients you like to use often.)

here's some details on how to carry it out: viewtopic.php?p=659106#p659106

here's an old post on when i was starting to figure it all out. i have some better techniques for blog subscriptions now, and i use IFTTT.com for consistency (since not all bloggers use feedburner, and if they do, they usually don't have it set up to have the recipe title in the e-mail title) none of my new knowledge has been added to that thread yet. i'll type it up when i have the time. (maybe i'll do it after IFTTT adds a new supported feed reader, now that google reader is going away.) viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18972

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I use Evernote, which is both a free website and a free app. It's nice because I can categorize my recipes by type (sauces, stovetop, no-cook, etc) and tag ingredients or cuisine types.

For recipes on websites, I screencap them (which solves the problem of broken links). If it's something that's been emailed, I copy the text into the program. If I ever had anything jotted on paper, I could just take a pic of the paper and upload that.

It's nice that I can access it on my phone as well as on my computer, because I can use it for reference easily when I'm in the kitchen. And having the recipes available on my phone is nice when I'm at the store and trying to remember if a particular recipe calls for a white onion or a red onion or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am 
WELFARIST!

For your recipes that are on scraps of paper (and not on the internet, so emailing them to yourself or whatever isn't an option), you can scan them. I dunno if you have a scanner though. It would be less labor intensive than typing them all up, that's for sure! I guess then you'd have to organize them in files on your computer, or use one of the ones mentioned where you can upload things.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I use Pepperplate, which is a free website and app. Having to manually enter recipes is kind of a pain, but like other apps, you can tag recipes by ingredient, cuisine type, category, etc. Also, you can add a recipe to a digital shopping list, which then sorts items by grocery store section. There's also menu and meal planning features, that I currently don't use often, but can be handy for some people!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mine are just copy pasted into word documents in a folder called "recipes". I am realizing now that this might be old-fashioned ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm 
Chip Strong

I use Paprika on my iPhone and iPad. It's not perfect, but I like how I can plan my meals and sync my grocery list between the devices. It kinda sucks that you have to buy it for both (an if you want it for Mac you have to buy that version separately too). It does load recipes automatically from some websites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm 
Chip Strong

I use Paprika on my iPhone and iPad. It's not perfect, but I like how I can plan my meals and sync my grocery list between the devices. It kinda sucks that you have to buy it for both (an if you want it for Mac you have to buy that version separately too). It does load recipes automatically from some websites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have Paprika and really like it, but I also think it's overpriced.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:17 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like there are lots of options if I just get myself a tablet and start exploring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I use Paprika on my iPad and on my iPhone and I loooove it. I used to use Evernote and while it can be used as a recipe organization system, I personally didn't like it for that. I like gathering recipes from online and putting them into Paprika, which is easy, but if you have a lot of paper recipes laying around that you want to digitize, that may be cumbersome. You can photograph and upload them to Evernote, which supposedly will read the text in the image. That hasn't always worked for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I highly recommend ChefTap (a FREE app for Android). It will scour electronic sources so you don't need to type in recipes (I hate that!). Sometimes it gets it wrong but most of the time it is ok. It also picks out a photo if available, etc. It can import recipes from Epicurious, pinterest, etc. Easy to search and star recipes. Drawbacks: it is only on Android right now but they are working on a web version and apple, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I also use Evernote. Its not only great for recipes, but for keeping track of a lots of things. I have a stack I called my cookbook, which has all my recipe notebooks. Its great, because you tag them with anything to keep them organized. And then you can search by the tag. Such as, I have a tag for all my single serving recipes. If I want to find one, I just filter by that tag and they are all there, regardless of what other tags I may have on them. It is free. All the apps are free and you only have to pay if you want to do so. Even with a free account, you can still add a lot each month. And with Evernote Food, you can create a diary of your meals and recipes all in one place that links to you main Evernote account.