| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

VegSo wrote:
I think no one has mentioned the artichoke dip? It is really delicious, omnis have really enjoyed it (sadly I have no vegan IRL friends). It is not the spinach artichoke, rather it's one of the first recipes in the book.

I'm probably going to make that to bring to mother's day. It was the first recipe in the book to excite me, so I'm glad to hear it's as good as it looks. Thanks for posting your favorites VegSo, and welcome to the PPK!

Couroupita, your Mongolian seitan looks delicious!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:49 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

tonight i am making the garlicy greens & garlic bread - watch out vampires!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am 
WELFARIST!

I've decided on my menu for the week!

Thai Chickpea Burgers with the sweet spicy sauce stuff
Garlic Sesame Soba Noodles (but I'm going to add some veg)
Pad Thai Noodles
Matzo Brei (for breakfasts!)

Pretty pumped.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Was just about to make up the falafel but some how managed to not buy sun-dried tomatoes and red onion. Lunch tomorrow will have to be some baked tofu and hummus instead. Will make up the falafel tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

#6 Cheesy Broccoli Soup without the bread bowls. This was really quick and easy to make on a weeknight and way more delicious than I expected. I went a little light on the nooch, but my nooch wary spouse did not find it too noochy, so I'd probably use the full amount next time. I'd also probably add a splash of white wine next time. I know, you are thinking "Rhizo wants to add white wine to everything!" Not true. I add red wine to chili and tomato sauce! Of course, it was even better the next day.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
#6 Cheesy Broccoli Soup without the bread bowls. This was really quick and easy to make on a weeknight and way more delicious than I expected. I went a little light on the nooch, but my nooch wary spouse did not find it too noochy, so I'd probably use the full amount next time. I'd also probably add a splash of white wine next time. I know, you are thinking "Rhizo wants to add white wine to everything!" Not true. I add red wine to chili and tomato sauce! Of course, it was even better the next day.

This is good to know. I've got a nooch hater in my house so I've been wary of this recipe. Even though it sounds delicious, I don't think I would want to eat an entire batch of broccoli soup on my own.

I also try to add wine to everything! Except apparently my husband is some kind of supertaster because he can always tell if it's there and thinks it's terrible. Boooooo!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

should i make the dog treats for the local rescue (- the carob) or is it a waste of my organic pb?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Chocolate Chip Banana Cake from Chloe's blog, which as someone pointed out is the same recipe in the book as the Banana Cupcakes, just without the icing and with the added chocolate. I've eaten lots of Banana Choc Chip bread and this one definitely ranks near the top. It's fantastic.

Last night we had the Mongolian BBQ Seitan as well. I used leftover red seitan from Viva Vegan that was in the freezer, crushed red pepper instead of the chili-garlic sauce and served it over jasmine rice. Very easy and flavorful. Who doesn't love some crunchy snow peas?

I'm looking forward to checking out this mac 'n cheese tonight!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
VegSo wrote:
I think no one has mentioned the artichoke dip? It is really delicious, omnis have really enjoyed it (sadly I have no vegan IRL friends). It is not the spinach artichoke, rather it's one of the first recipes in the book.

I'm probably going to make that to bring to mother's day. It was the first recipe in the book to excite me, so I'm glad to hear it's as good as it looks. Thanks for posting your favorites VegSo, and welcome to the PPK!

Couroupita, your Mongolian seitan looks delicious!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Garlic Sesame Soba Noodles, from her blog. I added carrots and zucchini for some veg and had to sub shiitakes for oyster mushrooms, because oyster mushrooms were too expensive today. Cooked it all up in a wok. Tasty tasty! I'm glad I added the veggies...there is plenty of sauce to cover it all.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh, Lard! I just had the vodka penne stuff and the garlic bread. Best. Garlic bread. Ever. *swoon*

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I made the garlic bread too....it is a toss up between this one and The Rachel Ray veganized one I often make. I also made the garlic greens using kale & shredded carrots and adding hemp hearts! the tofu is mustard agave baked tofu from "Part Time Vegan"...the extra marinade tasted so good over/with the greens!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am 
Tofu Pup

LA-Style Chimichurri was sooooooo freaking awesome! It does takes commitment to make it since there are so many different components to make a taco. But the time spent was well worth it.

Also made Sour Cream to go with it.

Chocolate-Chip Brownie Bites are easy to make. I'm not good at baking at all and it actually turned out quite alright. The brownie bites are rich and moist. The small bite size makes it very easy to over-eat. haha...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Man! The mere mention of garlic bread is giving me mighty cravings. I have butter left and 2 baguettes on stand by but I am already having a carb loaded dinner.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I copied someone from earlier in the thread (I think allurpunk but I'm totally guessing) and baked the falafel. I won't be trying until lunch time tomorrow. My avocado aren't ripe yet so will be having just plain hummus. I won't be having the tahini dressing since I don't seem to be a tahini fan and don't want to buy something that will go to waste. So will be having them with plain hummus, salad and a tortilla wrap since I can't find vegan burger buns and the wraps are handier for work.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Eileen216, those chimichurri are beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes, those tacos look fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread first

Thyme for creamy for creamy scalloped potatoes

It was nice but I thought it would be more like a whole meal. But its easy & very tasty.

Cherry Hand Pies (From the Dessert Book)

They were very crumbly and pretty "buttery". They didnt taste very vegan, so that could be a good thing, but I didnt like them much.

Easy Peasy Pasta Salad

Nice but again, i thought it would be a whole meal but when I ate it as a meal by itself it was very bland. And the oil & calories are pretty crazy (i think that goes for a lot/most of her recipes?), so I'd need it to taste awesome...

I dont get her serving sizes at all. 6-8 people? As what, a meal? A side dish?[/quote]

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I think possibly her dishes are best served as a tiny portion with a massive salad. I also find she is a tad heavy on the salt.

I've decided that I hate her pizza base. There was far too much yeast in it. Granted I only had a tub of the stuff and had to weigh it but I weighed it twice to make sure I had the right amount. It was an outrageous amount. And I must say...... it has had some not so pleasant effects on my plumbing.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

daisychain wrote:
I copied someone from earlier in the thread (I think allurpunk but I'm totally guessing) and baked the falafel. I won't be trying until lunch time tomorrow. My avocado aren't ripe yet so will be having just plain hummus. I won't be having the tahini dressing since I don't seem to be a tahini fan and don't want to buy something that will go to waste. So will be having them with plain hummus, salad and a tortilla wrap since I can't find vegan burger buns and the wraps are handier for work.

I did not bake the falafel (someone else did), but I liked them anyway! And honestly, you're probably better off with plain hummus. I really found the avocado hummus, even with half of the oil, to be rather nasty. And I don't call food nasty often. The falafel, totally worth making though. Love the sun dried tomatoes in there.

daisychain wrote:
Yeah, I think possibly her dishes are best served as a tiny portion with a massive salad. I also find she is a tad heavy on the salt.

That is how I've eaten all of her stuff so far! With a giant salad, haha! Yeah, tons of oil. I try to make the recipe as is the first time, but I feel like I could easily cut out a lot of it. I am surprised by her heavy handedness of salt, but do not mind it. I find that usually recipe writers err on the side of less salt just because so many people are sensitive to it. I like it!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm taking notes on what everyone is making for the day I feel like cooking again (have a nasty cold). I've had this book for a while but haven't been inspired to make much from it. There are a lot of pasta recipes and I only make pasta a few times a year. I did make the Mongolian BBQ and liked it very much. It was so quick (I cheated and bought pre-sliced mushrooms and seitan); i'll make this when I'm missing take-out. I decreased the oil and doubled the spices and snow peas.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm currently making the Thai chickpea burger things and totally read the recipe wrong and added the 2 Tbsp of oil meant for frying the burgers directly into the burger mix. I'm now frying them with just a wee spray of olive oil, hoping that evens it out? It's not going to. They're going to be so oily. fork. Also, I had to add more sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes to the sauce...it just tastes like doctored up tomato paste. Mehhhhh. Hopefully when it all goes together it will make my mouth happy.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i am having the rest of the sweet & sour sauce from last week with tofu, broccoli & basmati....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you, couroupita & Marzipan. The tacos look good, and taste even better!!

Last night I was feeling lazy. Made Avocado Toast for dinner. It took 5 minutes to make, and 1 minute to eat. It was so simple yet very yummy. Now I will make this all the time for a quick meal!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made the wasabi sesame noodle salad. I didn't take a picture because it wasn't especially photogenic, but it tasted decent. The sauce is nice and would work on pretty much any type of wheat noodle, I think. I added a sliced-up red pepper in addition to the veg the recipe called for, and that was a good choice, because otherwise it's a pretty skimpy meal. Like others in this thread, I really don't understand she thinks constitutes a "serving" - the recipe says it serves 8, but in my opinion it yields about 3-4 rather modest meal-sized portions. If I were to make this again I would add even more veg and some baked tofu or tempeh or something on top. I ate some avocado as a side dish when I made this, and it went pretty well! So I'd consider adding some cubed up avocado too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next