| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

eileen216 wrote:
Limone wrote:
Ever since pine nuts got stupidly expensive I ALWAYS sub walnuts for them. I don't think I've eaten a pine nut in 3 years.

It was $19.99/lb in the bulk section of my supermarket!

That sounds about right. Walnuts are something like $11/lb at my market, so they're much more budget-friendly.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the green curry the other night and rather enjoyed it! I was skeptical since the curry paste does not contain the usual suspects - galangal and lemongrass - but I really liked that the base of the curry paste was cilantro and not all chilis. I love cilantro so much! I served it over rice instead of the suggested crepes and I'm glad I did because it was pretty saucy and the rice soaked up all that green curry coconut deliciousness. I also used way more veggies, a whole jalapeno in the curry paste and tofu instead of chickpeas. I would make it again.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:27 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Recipe #6 was the Spinach Artichoke Dip. The only change I made was to add about 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (kmouse's recipe taught me that). It was pretty tasty, but I wanted a bit more tang. Maybe a little extra lemon juice, some sort of vinegar, or something. I did like that it was healthier than the one I usually make, though if I make it again, I'll add more spinach.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I woke up in the middle of the night craving the avocado on toast. Roll on lunchtime already! Going to try it with nooch this time and maybe sub some spread instead of the olive oil.

Had the pancakes again this morning. Subbed agave for maple and added a small bit of vanilla extract then topped with banana and peanut butter. Really nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the Tuscan Beans & Greens Soup. It was easy and pretty delicious. I'll enjoy having it for lunches all week (even though it's basically summer), but I used canned diced tomatoes, which I think may have overpowered the other flavors a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the cheesy broccoli soup last night but didn't get to try it until today. I used less nooch than called for because I'm running low. I enjoyed it.

I also remade the falafel but as burgers this time. Way prefer them this way. I used a bit more oil this time and baked again because I'm not much of a fried food fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We made the Herbed Polenta Cutlets with Marsala Mushroom Ragout along with Garlicky Greens over the weekend. I cut down on the salt and used fresh-from-the-garden oregano, but all I tasted in the cutlets was the pepper. I used shitakes and button mushrooms to save on costs. The sauce was good but it cooked way down, it was mostly just mushrooms. I've had much better garlicky greens. The lemon juice was odd to me. These tasted much better when mixed in with the other stuff. Also, I prefer soft polenta with mushroom & greens. The crisp outside was nice, but the softer consistency is more comforting and seems more decadent.

Also, finally got around to making the yoga cookies last night. The taste grew on me (eww), but these were more like granola cookies texture-wise than regular cookies.

I'm so happy to be done with this book and moving on. That said, there's a ton of other stuff I want to make, so I'll probably be checking it out from the library after the challenge has ended.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I made the Artichoke Walnut Pesto Crostini to take to my mom's for mothers day. I don't have a food processor, so I just minced everything with a knife. It probably took a little longer, but I think resulted in a nicer looking spread. I found it a bit too tart, perhaps because I did not add the water since I wasn't blending in a food processor. I added just a pinch of sugar and that fixed it. It was very good and everyone seemed to like it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I made the Artichoke Walnut Pesto Crostini to take to my mom's for mothers day. I don't have a food processor, so I just minced everything with a knife. It probably took a little longer, but I think resulted in a nicer looking spread. I found it a bit too tart, perhaps because I did not add the water since I wasn't blending in a food processor. I added just a pinch of sugar and that fixed it. It was very good and everyone seemed to like it.

It sounds great!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hope you guys don't mind me posting all mine at once. I don't own the cookbook, so I made a bunch of recipes from her website. I like how the recipes didn't call for a lot of fancy ingredients and were really fast to prepare -- great for weeknight meals.

Hawaiian Sloppy Joes...I like the addition of pineapple to the sloppy joe sauce. We all liked these.

Pad Thai Noodles...I appreciated the speed and simplicity of this version, but felt it was lacking something flavor-wise.

Vegan Mac 'n' Cheese...I liked this a lot, and that means a lot coming from me because I have tasted so many bad vegan mac 'n' cheese recipe that I pretty much swore them off.

Panang Curry...great flavor and it looks really pretty when you put it all together. Will make again.

Avocado Pesto Pasa...avocado and pesto are both awesome, so why not combine them? Will make again, but cut down on the amount of oil, as others have noted.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That curry looks great!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, looking back I never reported on the other Chloe recipe I made, which was the website version of the Mac and cheese. Which was completely excellent and Mr Moon ate so much he almost made himself ill. Not the healthiest but absolutely going to enter regular rotation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7