| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Is that in the book or from her site?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's in her book at the back. It's basically "knead gluten flour and water, put into boiling soy sauce and broth". But that's how seitan is supposed to taste for me...

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made Chloe's Fettucini Alfredo and Grilled Lemon-Olive Oil Asparagus. I loved the asparagus, and it gave me the rare opportunity to use my grill pan. I think the Alfredo sauce would have been better if I'd left out the miso, or added nooch or earth balance, or more lemon juice or something. It was actually better than the last omni Alfredo I had, but it had kind of a strange sweetness to it that I didn't like. It probably was from the cashews, but I think white miso is a bit sweet, too. If I'd had a big glass of sweet tea, I probably wouldn't have noticed the sweetness in the dish, though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Efcliz wrote:
Why didn't I read the tomato galette recipe properly and take note of all the time the pastry needs to spend in the fridge?

Oh, thanks for the heads-up! I wasn't aware of that either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 am 

I really liked the tomato galette. I don't make my own pastry very often but this was very good. I liked how you don't have to press it into a tin or anything, you can be a bit free form with it! I wasn't particularly in love with the pine nut ricotta, it was OK but I wouldn't waste the money on pine nuts for it, I'd rather have a tofu or cashew ricotta I think. I served it alongside a green salad, and just for consistency I used Chloe's mustard and shallot dressing, nothing different from any other dressing really but made me feel like I was using the book more!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the meatloaf and scalloped potatoes tonight. I liked the flavor of the meatloaf but not the texture. It was kind of mushy and not very meaty. I'm on a quest to find the perfect meatloaf. It's my husband's favorite omni food and now that he's veg I really want to find a good analog for him. The scalloped potato sauce was good but my potatoes must have been gigantic because they completely soaked up the sauce and came out very dry. So, neither were big hits for us but I think with some tweaking they could be tasty.

I also made the sweet and sour meatballs and those were really good. I kinda messed up and over blended the filling so the texture was more pasty than chunky. However, my husband fell in love with them and ate the *entire batch* by himself for dinner. Crazy kid!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
Tonight I made Chloe's Fettucini Alfredo and Grilled Lemon-Olive Oil Asparagus. I loved the asparagus, and it gave me the rare opportunity to use my grill pan. I think the Alfredo sauce would have been better if I'd left out the miso, or added nooch or earth balance, or more lemon juice or something. It was actually better than the last omni Alfredo I had, but it had kind of a strange sweetness to it that I didn't like. It probably was from the cashews, but I think white miso is a bit sweet, too. If I'd had a big glass of sweet tea, I probably wouldn't have noticed the sweetness in the dish, though.

I made the alfredo too today and I agree that it was a bit sweet, it's probably the combination of the cashews, miso and sautéed onion that did it. But I didn't mind that. I think it was pretty good overall, it doesn't taste very much but it was still satisfying. There are many alfredo recipes I prefer over this one, from VWAV, AVK, VYY etc, so I probably won't make this again any time soon. The only things I changed about the recipe was that i halved the amount of salt and cut back on the amount of oil used for sautéing the garlic and onion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i have everything to make the yoga cookies but here is a question: it calls for oats, could i use instant oats? would those work?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
I really liked the tomato galette. I don't make my own pastry very often but this was very good. I liked how you don't have to press it into a tin or anything, you can be a bit free form with it! I wasn't particularly in love with the pine nut ricotta, it was OK but I wouldn't waste the money on pine nuts for it, I'd rather have a tofu or cashew ricotta I think. I served it alongside a green salad, and just for consistency I used Chloe's mustard and shallot dressing, nothing different from any other dressing really but made me feel like I was using the book more!

I really want to try this.

I didn't make my shopping list this week from Chloe's book after all (just always trying to use up leftovers and her recipes weren't the best match with what I needed to use) but I think I'll make the tomato galette next week, since these challenges go for two weeks on one book. I always thought that recipe sounded yum and I do want to try the pine nut ricotta first and see if I'd prefer cashew or tofu ricotta like you do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

For tomorrow I think I'll make the chickpea burgers with avocado hummus, but put them in a wrap (because I love wraps). Anyone made this recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm 

I made the moo shu vegetables tonight and served them with some pancakes I had from the Chinese supermarket. Now I freely admit that they'd have been much better with home made pancakes but the tofu and veg didn't thrill me. I love hoisin so with the sauce added they perked up a bit but I don't think I'd bother with them again. Also, I'm not sure what you're supposed to serve them with but it says the recipe serves 6-8. I halved it just for me thinking I'd get lots of leftovers but there's really not much left. There wasn't anything bad about this but I just found it a bit bland.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Love Child wrote:
For tomorrow I think I'll make the chickpea burgers with avocado hummus, but put them in a wrap (because I love wraps). Anyone made this recipe?

I made it but not as a wrap (or I think it's sliders?) but over rice instead and it was really tasty and rich. I liked it. Definitely would make it again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the chana masala and aloo palak from the "Indian Buffet Trio" recipes. Both came out well. I especially liked the use of pureed cashews in the potatoes -- the creaminess was a nice contrast to the spiciness. As usual, the recipes were easy and came out better than you would expect given the amount of effort. (Chloe's versions of things aren't usually my favorite version ever -- but they tend to be the easiest version I've tried without sacrificing too much in the flavor department). Sorry -- no photos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made those two (and the rice) yesterday too! I really, really like them. Very simple and great flavor. Probably not the most authentic, but perfect for a mid week meal.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

Made my shopping list! I really just want to eat raw vegetables all week after last's week excessive drinking and bean eating, so I'm just making three very basic things that I can eat alongside of salads:

Potato Leek Patties (but I'm using Yukon golds because I already have those)
Falafel Sliders (but will probably make them as regular sized burgers)
Tempeh Piccata (am wondering how this will go since the tempeh is not marinated and only cooks for a little bit in the sauce...I suspect it will be better the next day)

If I feel any less bloated next week, I really want to make some of the noodle dishes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well! These were tasty as all get out! Crispy Potato Leek Patties with Lemon Dill Dip. I used Yukon Gold potatoes because I had them on hand. I was worried that the only ingredients in the patties are basically potatoes, leeks, salt, and pepper, but they were still really nice, especially with that sauce. The sauce improved greatly after being in the fridge for a half hour or so. Also, came together quick and easy, which is my favorite way to cook on the weeknights! I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying this book at some point (and I wish I already owned it).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have both her books and love them. Almost everything I have made has been a huge hit with everyone (omni's included). I decided to make the tomato bisque soup a couple weeks ago as it was a new recipe I have been meaning to try and I had a case of perfectly ripe tomatoes from Coscto. I didn't make the croutons sadly as I cannot find any vegan pumpernickel bread. This soup is AMAZING! I made another trip to Coscto last week to get more tomatoes so I could make it again. If you can make it last the leftovers the next day are even better. The second time I made it I forgot to get fresh basil so I used dried and it was still really really good. Here is a pic of the first batch.

Image[/url]
DSC00847 by brontrent[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I feel like this is cheating because I've had this book for a long time, and this is the umpteenth time I've made it, but I had the avocado toast for supper. I meant to have it for breakfast, but I didn't feel like cooking tonight. It's so simple, but yummy. I added some faux bacon bits, though, to make it even more exciting!

That potato leek patty and tomato soup look amazing! I'll have to try them soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tonight for dinner we had #1 Tempeh Piccata served over #2 Guilt-free Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a side of #3 Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts.
As a whole, the meal had a fancy and elegant feel to it. The flavors all complemented each other well. The sweetness from the parsnips in the "potatoes" and the maple in the brussels complemented the bitter edges of the tempeh and brussels and the tartness of the sauce. I added a little white wine to the piccata, because isn't piccata supposed to have wine? I also might have increased the garlic. The "potatoes" I made with cauliflower and parsnips, no potatoes, to keep the carbs lower. There are several options on how to make that recipe in the book. The brussels I used half the oil and half the maple syrup, because I figured the piccata would be rich enough, I was cooking for someone who has to watch carbs, and I wasn't trying to sway any brussels sprout haters. They were very good with those adjustments. I was surprised by how well the strong and distinct flavors of brussels sprouts, hazel nuts, and maple came together.
A very "meat and potaotes" meal which contained neither!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm making the piccata later this week, but my store apparently isn't selling tempeh anymore (noooooo!), so I'm being lazy and making it with those Kroger brand chicken strips. I figured I could do tofu, but that would involve extra steps and thinking, something I'm not too keen on this week. Hopefully those things are bland enough to work with the sauce. Also, yes to added white wine! I may do the same if I remember!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

seitanicverses wrote:
Love Child wrote:

I made it but not as a wrap (or I think it's sliders?) but over rice instead and it was really tasty and rich. I liked it. Definitely would make it again.

Yeah, it's sliders (that's basically small burgers right? I'm not too familiar with it).

I made the recipe today, tweaking it to my liking. This is what I did:

For the falafels:
- Halved the amount of salt
- Baked instead of frying, using the directions for the falafels in AFR

For the avocado hummus:
- Cut back on the salt
- Omitted the oil (my avocado was really ripe and soft and my stomach is sensitive to oil, turned out perfectly creamy anyway)

For the tahini sauce:
- Cut back on the salt

And it turned out great! Big thumbs up! All these components together made a kick asparagus filling for falafel wraps. The sun-dried tomatoes in the falafels were a great addition, might use even more next time!
And it was all salty enough for me, I would definitely have found it too salty if I had used the full amount.

Sorry for lack of photos, I keep forgetting to charge my camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm making those falafel sliders tonight, but I'm making them as full size burgers. Hope it works!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Love Child wrote:

That's actually a great idea. I can't get sliders here. I can't even get vegan burger buns. So in a wrap sounds ideal especially since they will be easier to manage for work lunches.

Planning on making the mac and cheese on Thursday night. Avocados are on special in the place I do my shopping this week so going to get a few to make the toast and hummus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm 

I made the shiitake noodle soup or whatever it's called this evening. The only change I made was just to add in some chopped Chinese leaf (napa cabbage) at the same time as the noodles, because I had loads left from the mu shoo yesterday. I used some nice flavoursome broth from seitan making that I had stashed in the freezer. Oh and I used peanut oil, I hate using olive oil in Asian recipes.

This one totally surpassed my expectations. So quick and easy but very tasty and clean tasting. I really liked it and will be certainly making it again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the rosemary tomato galette(s)*. It was really good, but it took ages - I thought I was going to starve! I didn't make the pinenut ricotta, because I had some leftover yogurt sauce. I made a spinach salad to accompany the dish.

(*I halved the recipe and made just one! A big one.)

Efcliz wrote:
I made the shiitake noodle soup or whatever it's called this evening.

Haha, I thought shiitake was a filter here and I was like, WHAT?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next