| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Shukriyya wrote:
I made the rosemary tomato galette(s)*. It was really good, but it took ages - I thought I was going to starve! I didn't make the pinenut ricotta, because I had some leftover yogurt sauce. I made a spinach salad to accompany the dish.

(*I halved the recipe and made just one! A big one.)

Efcliz wrote:
I made the shiitake noodle soup or whatever it's called this evening.

Haha, I thought shiitake was a filter here and I was like, WHAT?!

Yep, I got pretty drunk while I waited for that pastry in the fridge for ever and ever!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

okay, so i made the sweet & sour sauce to go with tonights dinner. there is a huge ammount! do you think it will keep in a plastic lidded container for a week?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hm...made the avocado hummus for the falafel sliders and only used half the oil and it tastes overwhelmingly olive oil-y. Not a big fan of the tahini sauce, either. I'm hoping both get better in the next hour within the confines of the fridge!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip: Delicious!! Easy to make, creamy with very little olive oil, and so satisfying. I put a few slices of Daiya havarti to add a little cheeziness. I've never had many spinach artichoke dips in my time, but I have to say, it was heaven--in a pie plate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

That dip looks so yummy, Victoire! I may have to make that next week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

the sweet & sour sauce is so good. i used maple agave for the maple syrup and braggs for the soy.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 am 
Shopped till she dropped

We made the BBQ Pineapple Pizza tonight for the first dish. I have a lot of studying to do this week, so Fred was kind enough to do all the dirty work. We used storebought dough and BBQ sauce. The pineapple and onions had a nice sweetness that complemented the smoky-savory quality of the sauce (Organicville Original, which is my new favorite BBQ I can buy at work). I added a little Daiya jack to keep the toppings from rolling of the slices. Super yums all around.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Falafel Sliders, but as burgers. This made 5 decently sized burgers, which is fine by me for lunches and such. If I were going to freeze some, I'd double the batch. The flavor of the burgers was great! I mentioned earlier that I didn't like the avocado hummus or the tahini sauce on their own, but when they came together with the burger and a tomato, it really worked (thank goodness). If I did double the batch, I'd just add the extra 1/4 cup of reserved chickpeas to the hummus and not double the hummus recipe, because it needed more bulk. I would almost have rather just mashed up an avocado with some lemon juice and garlic, and omitted the oil altogether.

The manfriend did not like these. He had never had falafel before (I know, right?) and didn't like any of the sauces I made to go with them, nor did he like the lemon dill sauce from the potato patties (which I think would work with falafel, too). So he tried to eat it with salsa, which is gross. I swear, I have never tried to please a pickier eater. Oh well, more for me. I finished his burger.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Spaghetti Bolognese was a bust! I loved the idea of a whole foods bolognese sauce (I usually use faux ground round) but I ended up overprocessing the mixture (should have put eveything in at once) and it was just gross and pasty. I had high hopes because I love mushroom and walnuts together, but this goes to the 'will not make again' list.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I don't have this book, but I found out today that after being on the library wait list for a month, the book is ready to pick up, yay! I look forward to using it next week.

Last night I made Chloe's super-easy Pad Thai Noodles. I haven't had pad thai in positively years and even then I think it was some boxed thing that I liked. This was awesome. I plan to start making this regularly. I like that it doesn't have very many ingredients and it's pretty inexpensive. It really delivers a lot of flavor too. The only changes I made were to use unsalted peanuts and no cilantro for garnish.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

That pad thai looks delicious!!! Is the recipe from Chloe's website?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I finally managed to get Chloe's Kitchen from the library! So it looks like I will be joining the challenge next week. Now what to make, what to make...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

This is just the side salad with shallot vinaigrette. Simple but colorful and yummy.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

For my second dish, I made the California Chipotle Chop with Agave-Lime Vinaigrette. It's really tasty and super fresh. My store's been out of chipotle powder forever for some ridiculous reason, so I chopped up a chipotle in adobo. With the seeds, it was the right amount of heat for me. Cooking the beans (from a can, I was out of dry) gave them a really nice creaminess to offset the crunch of the veggies and quinoa. I added a red pepper that I needed to use up, and it was a good little addition. The dressing is right up my acid-hound alley, though I did cut back on the agave a smidge. It's a pretty perfect dinner for a warm spring night.

I would take a picture, but I don't think anyone wants to see a half-eaten plate. If the lettuce doesn't wilt too much, I'll try to remember tomorrow.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm making the pineapple fried rice tonight!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the 5-minute salad for lunch yesterday. I have all the ingredients to make the Chipotle Chop, so that will be next!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

That Pad Thai looks wonderful! I can't wait to make some of the noodle dishes next week.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 am 
Nailed to the V

So far, we have made the Double Double Drive-Thru Burgers, Sea Salt and Vinegar French Fries, Pancakes for Dinner (but as waffles instead), the Wasabi Sesame Noodle Salad, and the Caribbean Vegetable meal with the Cumin-Lime Black Beans. We've enjoyed everything so far, but the surprise favorite was those Wasabi Noodles. Simple, but so good! I prefer it cold out of the fridge, but it's good warm too. Next up will be the Crispy Tofu.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Victoire wrote:
That pad thai looks delicious!!! Is the recipe from Chloe's website?

It is from the website. I figured it was in the book too, but after finally getting the book from the library last night I noticed it's not in there!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Love Child wrote:
I'm making the pineapple fried rice tonight!

Here it is:

Verdict: Tasty. Though it felt like it could have used some extra something-something. Like some more umami flavor to balance the sweet pineapple and raisins. Maybe hoisin sauce? Or some more heat. Still good though.

I halved the recipe and therefore I didn't have to bake the tofu for the entire 45 minutes. I was surprised by how tasty the tofu turned out despite only being seasoned with soy sauce.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

kara kara wrote:
For my second dish, I made the California Chipotle Chop with Agave-Lime Vinaigrette. It's really tasty and super fresh. My store's been out of chipotle powder forever for some ridiculous reason, so I chopped up a chipotle in adobo. With the seeds, it was the right amount of heat for me. Cooking the beans (from a can, I was out of dry) gave them a really nice creaminess to offset the crunch of the veggies and quinoa. I added a red pepper that I needed to use up, and it was a good little addition. The dressing is right up my acid-hound alley, though I did cut back on the agave a smidge. It's a pretty perfect dinner for a warm spring night.

I would take a picture, but I don't think anyone wants to see a half-eaten plate. If the lettuce doesn't wilt too much, I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Yeah, I love this salad. I bump up the quinoa a bit when I make it but I'd say it's the meal salad I probably make the most.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Your falafel burgers look really good allularpunk.
Zula, I want your pad Thai!

For recipe #4 I made the Five-Minute Salad Because I was intrigued by the idea of using avocado to make a creamy dressing (although I found her description of putting gloves on and mashing it all up really unappetizing.) I guess it wasn't really a bran new idea to me, because I've used leftover quacamole on salad before. Anyway, I liked it, but I used half an avocado because a whole one seemed like a lot to eat in a single sitting. Then I looked back and realized the salad says it serves 6, not one! Still, I ate the whole thing for lunch all by myself. After I tasted it the way it was supposed to be I threw in some cucumber slices and chick peas. I will use the mashed-avocado-for-salad-dressing idea in the future and experiment with mixing it with other vinegars, citrus juices, and herbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I love using avocado as a salad dressing-y thing. It's great for coating raw kale salads, of course. I've made a big salad for my past couple meals and crumbled in the falafel, then used a combo of the tahini sauce and the avocado hummus as the dressing. Big yum!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
not sure if i'll cook anything from the blog, i may just pick another cookbook to use during this challenge period and post my stuff in the challenge week #1's thread..... we'll see.......

bookworkbethie, do you think it makes more sense to post non-Chloe stuff in the week #1 thread or in this thread with a disclaimer since it's happening at the same time as the Chloe stuff? I'm not really in love with anything on the blog either, so I think this week I'd like to give myself a themed challenge instead of one tied to a specific cookbook.

sorry for my tardy reply! i'm sure you've figured this out for yourself by now ;) but feel free to post in this thread your themed challenge so we don't miss your cool stuff!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I like this book a lot. I could definitely do without all the pictures of Chloe.

Haha, I thought the same exact thing. I don't own the book but I looked through it at the library before and was sort of weirded out by the number of pictures of her. Not that she's bad to look at or something, but a large number of pictures of one person grinning is... odd.

yes, i think that's the same thing that got people so irked with rachael ray and paula deen. way too many pictures of them in their own magazines! too much!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next