| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've been absent for a bit but it's been great catching up and reading about everything y'all have been making..... things are hectic around here so i've been making quick easy vegan dinners for the hubby & myself..... perhaps this weekend will have time to really read the online resource so i can play too ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Love Child wrote:
Verdict: Tasty. Though it felt like it could have used some extra something-something. Like some more umami flavor to balance the sweet pineapple and raisins. Maybe hoisin sauce? Or some more heat. Still good though.

I agree that it needs a little something. I added a good spoonful of sambal olek to each serving, which was super tasty.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i think i will make the yoga cookies - just there are so many cookies - 32! i will sub pecans for walnuts, i have those on hand...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I just made the Garlic White Bean Dip (recipe #3), but with chickpeas. I didn't have a can of white beans on hand and I felt entirely too lazy to cook some from dry. Also, near-instant gratification. There's a boatload of oil and salt, but it's SO GOOD. I'll cut back on those a bit next time. This might be my new favorite homemade hummus variation. Garlicky peppery goodness. Yum!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Can anyone who is at home with the book let me know what ingredients are in the biscuits? I forgot to check before I came out. I'm guessing just the usual stuff.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

the "quick buttery biscuits"? flour, margarine, baking powder, salt, vegan milk

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:49 am 

Thank you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

kara kara wrote:
Love Child wrote:
Verdict: Tasty. Though it felt like it could have used some extra something-something. Like some more umami flavor to balance the sweet pineapple and raisins. Maybe hoisin sauce? Or some more heat. Still good though.

I agree that it needs a little something. I added a good spoonful of sambal olek to each serving, which was super tasty.

Yeah, that sounds like a great addition! Sambal oelek is good with anything though.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Finally got cracking. Last night I had plans to make the mac and cheese but I forgot that half the ingredients were to come in my shopping delivery tonight. Silly me. I had the pancakes for dinner this evening. I like that they didn't have oil in the batter because I'm trying to get my act together. So they weren't amazing but I did like them and they will be a good change for my weekday breakfasts too. I was short on maple syrup so I used agave nectar and a little extra water then added blueberries and chocolate chips. Oh and I made half the recipe since I was dining alone.

I have the supplies in for the pineapple BBQ pizza so will be having that this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

missmuffcake wrote:
i think i will make the yoga cookies - just there are so many cookies - 32! i will sub pecans for walnuts, i have those on hand...

I made the Yoga Cookies for my 5th recipe. I definitely did not get 32 cookies; probably more like 20. I guess I must have used more like 2T dough per cookie than the 1 and a half the recipe called for, but they didn't turn out giant. So if you get 32 they will probably be small. But cookies also freeze really well if it makes too much for you. I didn't think I liked them when I made them yesterday, but today I came home from yoga and ate one out of the freezer and loved it. It confuses me that there is no baking powder or soda in the recipe. I think they are more like a granola bar in cookie shape than a cookie.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I made the Yoga Cookies for my 5th recipe. I definitely did not get 32 cookies; probably more like 20. I guess I must have used more like 2T dough per cookie than the 1 and a half the recipe called for, but they didn't turn out giant. So if you get 32 they will probably be small. But cookies also freeze really well if it makes too much for you. I didn't think I liked them when I made them yesterday, but today I came home from yoga and ate one out of the freezer and loved it. It confuses me that there is no baking powder or soda in the recipe. I think they are more like a granola bar in cookie shape than a cookie.

I'm definitely making these cookies next week! I love freezing cookies.

Last night we made Chloe's Roasted Apple, Butternut Squash & Carmelized Onion Pizza from her blog. It's also got a garlic white bean base (VERY garlicky) & spinach. These are not my typical go-to pizza ingredients and I was somewhat skeptical, but it tasted pretty good. It cooled off very quickly, but I guess most pizzas do that. That said, I doubt I would make this again.

We had side salads with hemp seeds and the Maple-Mustard dressing from V'Con. A bit too sweet for my taste, but I realized I always think that when maple is in the title of the recipe, lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My store was out of tempeh, so I made the Tempeh Piccata with Simply Organic chick'n strips. I would have liked it better with tempeh. Those strips have a ...taste. I like them in things like fajitas, but the flavor didn't go great with this piccata. I also think that maybe I just didn't like the piccata. I'm too lazy to compare the recipes right now, but I definitely prefer the AFR chickpea piccata, flavor-wise. Add to that the fact that it doesn't have a 1/4 cup of oil and 2 Tbsp of margarine, and that seals the deal for me. I mean, this wasn't bad, I just didn't love it. I ended up eating it with whole wheat linguine because I was craving carbs, and mashed potatoes just weren't going to happen.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Finally!!! I have a Chloe recipe win! Mac and cheese and the garlic bread. Just devoured half a baguette and a good portion of mac and cheese. So, so good.

I took a notion to do the mac and cheese in 2 batches since I had 2 smaller dishes. Probably a bit to small.... if I had a 3rd it would have been perfect. But anyway, I will have one dish for the fridge that I will make on Monday rather than having to microwave 4 nights in a row.

Really, really enjoyed this. I probably wouldn't have tried Chloe again if it wasn't for this challenge.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

daisychain wrote:
Finally!!! I have a Chloe recipe win! Mac and cheese and the garlic bread. Just devoured half a baguette and a good portion of mac and cheese. So, so good.

I took a notion to do the mac and cheese in 2 batches since I had 2 smaller dishes. Probably a bit to small.... if I had a 3rd it would have been perfect. But anyway, I will have one dish for the fridge that I will make on Monday rather than having to microwave 4 nights in a row.

Really, really enjoyed this. I probably wouldn't have tried Chloe again if it wasn't for this challenge.

I'm thinking of making the mac and cheese tomorrow, sounds promising!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:38 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Things I've made in the past few days:

- Spinach-Artichoke Dip: very good and easy to make
- Black Bean Baby Cakes with Pineapple Salsa and Cilantro Rice (rice recipe is on p. 193) - I don't really like cilantro much and trying to build up my tolerance to it by making three things that have cilantro in them was a bad idea. The baby cakes were a crumbly mess and when I finally had them in the pan, I realised that I forgot the chili powder and salt. :( I could only eat this by drowning it in tamarind chutney.

I'd really like to make the buckeyes recipe, but there's no space in my tiny freezer compartment.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Love Child wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I need it to be tomorrow already so I can have more.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just have not been inspired this challenge! There are a couple recipes that I have turned to quite a bit in the past year (Double Double Burgers, Black bean Burgers and Yoga Cookies) but most things I've tried (about 20+ recipes) leave me cold. I think this would be a great book for a beginning vegan cook, but for me the preparation and ingredients are too simple. I guess I enjoy a little challenge and hope to learn something new with recipes I choose.

I made the banana cupcakes last Wednesday because I had some overripe bananas kicking around. Her banana chocolate chip bread on her website is the exact same recipe (with chocolate chips added) and so I did chocolate chip banana bread muffins. Sounds healthier when I call them muffins! I was worried they would taste too Christmasy because of the spices, but they were actually quite pleasant and we enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made the pineapple BBQ pizza with Chloe's pizza base. Not impress by the base, think I will stick to Isa's. The rest of it is delicious though. Very filling. I made it into two smaller pizzas and have one prepared and wrapped up in the fridge for tomorrow. Only managed to eat half of it but I might return to it later.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:24 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

daisychain wrote:
Love Child wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I need it to be tomorrow already so I can have more.

I made it today and it didn't disappoint! Very nice indeed. I'm used to more tang in my mac and cheese, but this was super good even though it was very mild. Quite similar to Get Sconed!'s New Farm adaption. The only change I did was halving the salt and skipping the breadcrumbs on top. Leftovers tomorrow are gonna be amazing!

I took a picture too, I'll see if I can throw it up here later.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:30 pm 

I made the sweet potato gnocchi this evening. My potatoes were the equivalent of about 3/4 of the recipe so I just scaled down accordingly. I was a bit distracted and slightly over cooked them, so they were a bit denser than gnocchi should be but I didn't mind that. I was the only one eating so I just estimated the vegan butter and sage for one portion and I'm freezing the rest of the gnocchi. I've made sweet potato gnocchi before (Urban Vegan) and this wasn't anything revolutionary but I liked it. I love sage and have a huge sage bush in my garden so any recipe to use it is good with me,

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:34 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hello! I am new here, although I can't really participate in the challenge ATM, I own Chloe's first cookbook and have a couple of favorites from there. I think no one has mentioned the artichoke dip? It is really delicious, omnis have really enjoyed it (sadly I have no vegan IRL friends). It is not the spinach artichoke, rather it's one of the first recipes in the book.

The orange tofu is also amazing, served over the cilantro rice in particular!

The lasagna is another favorite of mine :)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the vodka penne and garlic bread for the 4th time. Soooo good.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:38 am 

VegSo wrote:
I think no one has mentioned the artichoke dip? It is really delicious, omnis have really enjoyed it (sadly I have no vegan IRL friends). It is not the spinach artichoke, rather it's one of the first recipes in the book.

Is that the crostini recipe? I made it once before and yeah it's crazy good! Mine didn't look as pretty as they do in the book though!!

I made the seitan and Mongolian beef recipes yesterday. Really good!! At first I thought the sauce was too sweet but mixed in with everything it balanced out well. Even though it was ansuper simple recipe I really liked the seitan! I added a little 5 spice powder (a great idea I got from Vegan Eats World) and olive oil to the dough, which masked the weird flavor I usually notice and dislike in seitan.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

couroupita wrote:
VegSo wrote:
I think no one has mentioned the artichoke dip? It is really delicious, omnis have really enjoyed it (sadly I have no vegan IRL friends). It is not the spinach artichoke, rather it's one of the first recipes in the book.

Is that the crostini recipe? I made it once before and yeah it's crazy good! Mine didn't look as pretty as they do in the book though!!

Yes it's that one! It's true that last time I made it, it did not look so great, but yum!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

couroupita wrote:
I made the seitan and Mongolian beef recipes yesterday. Really good!! At first I thought the sauce was too sweet but mixed in with everything it balanced out well. Even though it was ansuper simple recipe I really liked the seitan! I added a little 5 spice powder (a great idea I got from Vegan Eats World) and olive oil to the dough, which masked the weird flavor I usually notice and dislike in seitan.

I've been meaning to make that recipe! I'll see if I can squeeze it in this week. Looks delicious!

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next