| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking with Beyond Meat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I searched for a Beyond Meat thread, but didn't see one besides threads on news of its release and where to buy it.

So! I just got my hands on samples of grilled, Santa Fe and lightly seasoned Beyond Meat strips. My biggest priority is breaded tenders, because that's the first cooking style that got me into faux chicken and duh, yum, and I'm also thinking fajitas - but being pre-grilled, that might be best for something else.

Anyone have recipes they're digging with Beyond Meat? Tips on cooking with it? Must makes?

I've tried it buffalo and General Tso's style from Whole Foods so far, and assume they started with the 'lightly seasoned'...

Last edited by jdfunks on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cooking with Beyond Meat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The only thing I have done with it is make tacos (surprise!), just sauteing it with onions and garlic for a minute. You can't cook it for long before it gets all rubbery. I think the grilled would make a great chicken salad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I totally didn't even look at this stuff because I figured it was seitan based like most "chickens"...pleasantly surprised that it's gluten free. I'll have to get some to try next time. Wish I had some tonight because I'd love a BBQ chicken wrap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I haven't got my hands on the pre-grilled stuff yet but I recently made nachos and (the next day) quesadillas with it. It was delicious!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks, guys! I'm so gonna start with tacos.

I guess I don't really want a 'soft' texture, per se? Interesting! I also saw these on the official site: http://www.beyondmeat.com/category/recipes/

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made chicken fajitas with the southwestern ones and was kind of indifferent. Maybe I cooked it too long? Mine did get a little tough. The box said 2-3 minutes, but it was frozen, so I gave it like 4-5 with a bunch of other stuff in the pan to make sure it was completely heated through. I mean, it was fine, but I'm not sure I like it any more than Gardein. I have no idea how much I paid for it though. There wasn't a price tag, and I grabbed the last one from the freezer.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

In the Netherlands we have 'chicken pieces' from the vegetarian butcher that seem quite similar to lightly seasoned Beyond Meat. I like to fry them until just browned and used them in stir fries or Asian noodle soup. I also want to try them in tikka masala sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just threw out a whole pan full of the stuff as it seemed to make my stomach queasy about an hour after I ate it both times. I just cooked in briefly in prepared tomato sauce and served it over linguine. But I also didn't much like the texture or taste, so I guess I'll go back to my other vegan "meats." I'm always fascinated by how different people's tastes are!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:17 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I made some sorta fajita style, but i had to break apart the pieces a bit first so they could get more flavor. I didn't like biting into a big piece of the strip within my wrap. The rest I ate straight out of the package. I love the texture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I ate some straight out of the package, put some in a salad, and made a chicken sandwich with some. (The package said 3 servings and it naturally came out to three! That never happens to me.) I can't think of anything I would cook with it, though. I liked it okay but don't think I'll get it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've made tacos and fajitas quite a few times. I feel like by far that has been the most successful use and had the best texture. I've also shredded it and used it in empanada fillings, which was pretty good. I used it in chicken dumpling soup the other day and it was just awful -- it got super soft and turned kind of pinkish, just like undercooked chicken. We couldn't finish it! I think my favorite flavor is the southwest. I think I'm going to do a chicken salad next.

My problem is that I bought like 15 packages because my Whole Foods mistakenly put it on sale for a day for $2.99 each (I think it's normally $5.69?), so I went nuts. I'm kind of over it but have a ton in my freezer now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I did a stir fry with some a couple weeks ago. It was pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I still have a couple coupons that they put on the inside of the package, so I'll probably buy more, but I'm just kind of meh about it. I guess I prefer Gardein. Options are nice though.

They are definitely better not overcooked. It says 2-3 minutes, and even turning off a hot pan and leaving them after that amount of time seems to overcook them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I like it tossed with a ton of spices and then grilled and served over a Caesar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried it a three ways now: sauteed with spices & sliced jalapenos for tacos, tossed with pesto over pizza, and fried in gluten-free beer batter, and prefer the first. I did overcook a bit and didn't mind anything, since I prefer to have browning vs. undercooking things. I have a bit more left in a package I'm scared to see if are still good, but if it is, I'm doing BBQ wraps.
I will say the packaging is annoying, but no more than tofu, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My omni girlfriend thinks it's amazing from the time jdfunks made it for us, so I need more ideas of what to do with it! I haven't actually bought it myself yet but I probably will soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:24 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I made the Summer Seitan Sautee from the PPK blog last night with the grilled BM* instead of seitan. I added it with the mushrooms instead of when you're supposed to, but I really thought it could have gone a few more minutes. Or maybe I should shredded the pieces instead of just chopping them. Probably that. It was tasty, but I prefer Terry's white seitan in that recipe. Actually, I don't know that I'll buy it again. I prefer making my own seitan, but for laziness, I've gotten really good at cooking Gardein cutlets just how I like them.

*unfortunate acronym

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm 
WRETCHED

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by the flavorings but now I know because my Whole Foods had them in the package so I bought grilled. The other grocery store I go to sells them in deli style packaging with plain, grilled with BBQ sauce (I thought this is what you meant by grilled) and now thai sauce. The grilled with BBQ sauce is really good so I recommend trying that with these as well. I have been eating a lot of salads lately so I'm going to try the ones I just bought on my salads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Having tried all three flavors in a few different ways, I'm still not sure I'll keep buying them (I might prefer Gardein scallopeni) - although my boyfriend is a big fan, and we're both vegan.

Some thoughts:
- I think cutting them up small/shredding them is essential to flavoring them (plus big chunks are much too meaty feeling for me)
- Overcooking them makes them inedible to me, although my boyfriend didn't notice a difference

I've only liked them when I made them two different way, so try them like this if you're not sure about them:
- The seasoned ones were tasty in basil-pistachio pesto w/ pasta, mushrooms & zucchini
- The southwestern ones were tasty when marinated, in fajitas w/ peppers & onions (Betty Goes Vegan fajitas marinade recipe)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've made chicken parm strips and a broccoli, chicken, and cheddar casserole. Both were really good! Other than that I've been adding it to my daily salad or wrap.

I am loving this stuff. It is so nice to have a vegan gluten free meat option that's packed with protein. The taste and the texture are perfect. And the coupons in the packaging just make me want to keep buying more!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Has anyone done anything exciting with the beef-free crumbles? I was super excited to see that unlike the chicken strips they do not contain amaranth so I can eat them! They also do not contain quinoa, so Missmuffcake, you can eat them too! But I'm not feeling very inspired by this product. Ground beef is not something I've ever missed, and at this point it's been over half my life since I ate the real thing. I'm having trouble even thinking of what people do with ground beef. I'm leaning towards starting off by making a bolognaese, but I have this creeping suspicion that I will not enjoy chewy bits in my tomato sauce. My only other thought is chili.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I always use my crumbles (Boca, haven't tried the beyond meat ones) for tacos. And that's about it, because like you, I'm usually at a loss as to what people actually use ground beef for. Maybe in stuffed peppers? Homemade hamburgers? Growing up my mom made ga-woompky (totally phonetic spelling and totally appetizing sounding, right?) which is basically a Polish dish of stuffed cabbage leaves, and she used ground beef in those. Other than that, I got nuthin'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think the ground beef would be perfect for cabbage rolls or stroganoff!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:45 pm 
Chip Strong

I use the Boca crumbles for meatloaf and it's really good.
I want to try the Gardien crumbles but have never actually seen them in a store. I would check these out. I like the chicken strips enough to give these a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The Gardein crumbles are pretty good. I've used Beyond Meat in stir fry and tonight I chopped it up and added to fried rice. Both were good.