It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Accidentally vegan stuff that isn't junk food
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

VeganMeredith wrote:
EmilyG wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Some of the packaged Target food is vegan. I will come back and post when I remember the specific names of products but I remember I was reading the ingredients on their mushroom bowl thing and it specified that an ingredient was vegan right on the packaging. I thought that was cool! No guessing games!

I'd still be careful with things that are labelled "vegan." For example, Trader Joe's gives a vegan label to things with cultured dextrose in it! not cool!

What's not vegan about cultured dextrose? Isn't it often made from sugar?

Never heard of the stuff, but some googling indicates that it is often made through the process of fermenting skim milk. The finished product contains no dairy, but dairy is used in the process of manufacture.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Dextrose is just the same as glucose, which is one component of table sugar. I'm not sure why one would assume that culturing it would require dairy (it would just need bacteria and sugar), but it would be best to write to the company to see if any animal products are involved, if you are concerned. The stuff that comes up on a google search on this topic is not very authoritative.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's not the dextrose that's at issue, it's the culturing of cultured dextrose. According to wikipedia (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Cultured dextrose is a food additive used to inhibit the growth of undesirable bacteria and mold in food. Often used in place of benzoates and sorbates, it is considered by some consumers to be a more "natural" ingredient, because it is prepared by the fermentation of milk or sugar powders...

Cultured dextrose is marketed under the tradename MicroGARD® by Danisco, a unit of DuPont, and is used in a range of foods including dairy products, salad dressings, and baked goods.[1]

When you go to Danisco's own website, you see a list of products under the trademark MicroGARD®, half of which are cultured using skim milk. I have no idea how this stuff is listed on packages (because I've never knowingly come across it) and if it's indicated whether the variety used in a product is one of the ones derived from skim milk or not, but if not, it's something I'd be wary of.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:56 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Limone wrote:
mumbles wrote:
Are you guys implying that Sabra isn't junk food?

I mean, it is if you use Oreos as dippers. Which I have a feeling some of us have tried...

Dipping Oreos in hummus is too vegan for me. Well, unless it's chocolate hummus, which is really good. I could dip Oreos in that, but Sabara doesn't make it.

Hmm, chocolate hummus sounds interesting. I think I could make plain almond ricotta, add cocoa and agave to it and call it chocolate hummus for dunking Oreos in. (I'm not adventurous enough for mixing chick peas with chocolate yet though I'm probably missing something.)

lepelaar wrote:
annak wrote:
Mmm, just had some of the banana dippers earlier.

I read this first as "banana diapers". I was intrigued/squicked.

I think we'll have to invent that too.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3