| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yogurt?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Soy milk turns into yogurt in my fridge in about 5 days or so. I've been eating it, and it's delicious, it's much nicer than the yogurt I used to make following Bryanna's recipe. I think of it as the fridge giving me a present. But, is this gross? Am I getting the happy cultured probiotic things by eating my fridge yogurt? Or is it thickening by some non-probiotic means? I don't have any digestive problems with it and my nursing baby doesn't either, so I think it's pretty safe, just wondering if anyone knows if it's as healthy as when I intentionally add probiotics to soymilk.

Post subject: Re: yogurt?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Hmm. This doesn't seem right to me at all. Is this homemade soymilk? Have you checked your fridge temperature? Do you leave the soymilk out at room temperature? Do you keep it in a covered/closed container? Unless you are adding some probiotic powder to the soymilk, it shouldn't be turning into yogurt in the fridge. Yogurt bacteria are kind of finicky and prefer to grow and ferment at warmer temperatures. They will continue to thicken homemade yogurt in the fridge if you cultured it on purpose, but the change is subtle -- most of the thickening happens at room temperature or warmer.

Does it taste tangy like yogurt, or does it just get thick. If its just thick but not tangy, I could see that maybe happening to very rich soymilk after a few days, although I haven't seen it myself.

It's really not the best idea to eat foods that weren't fermented on purpose -- there can be a combination of good and bad bacteria as well as molds that might make you sick at some point even if it hasn't yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I agree with Bean. That's not really yogurt.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm gross and I'm scared for you. Please back away from the "yogurt"

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Fee wrote:

^I agree with all of this.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

I'm about 75% sure I'd eat that and if you knew me and the things I'd eat those aren't very good odds.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jordanpattern wrote:
Fee wrote:

^I agree with all of this.

agreed, bad idea. either something is wrong with the soymilk you are buying (or making) or maybe you have an issue with your fridge. are any other items in your fridge spontaneously turning into new products?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am 

It's just my soymilk turning thick. Why would it be a bad idea? I mean, it tastes good, and nobody in my family has gotten sick from eating it. Granted, I dumpstered for a lot of years so maybe have a pretty strong tummy? But my baby isn't getting sick from my milk. It's store bought soymilk. If I open it (take off the silver thing, but close the plastic flap) and it is in the fridge about a week, it turns thick. The thick soymilk never goes bad before I finish eating it as yogurt. I've baked with it and it works great, and I eat it with jam mixed in. It's not tangy, but when I culture soy milk intentionally it never tastes tangy to me. This started by me culturing yogurt intentionally, so maybe now my fridge is colonized? I have other cultured things in there (sweetheart is omni, so he has skyr and other cultured dairy in there) and miso and probably other stuff too. Sweetheart has a really good nose and can tell instantly when my soymilk has gone bad and this doesn't set off any of his alarms. Could my fridge be magical? Have I discovered everlasting life for soy milk?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I used to be a florist, and I'd put a little bottle of soy milk in the back stock floral fridge. It would turn thick after a couple of days, and at first I thought it was a coworker (who I didn't get along with) messing with my food. It totally freaked me out because I thought she was spiking my food with something. It turns out it just had something to do with that type of fridge (it puts moisture INTO the air to keep the flowers fresh). So it may not be bad, but I doubt it's fermented.