| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about pressure cookers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

Well the cheese cloth, half in the water and half out method outlined above worked out marvellously! The texture is very tight and firm but it is moist and flavourful. It is not like the regular boiled seitan texture at all and it more firmer but not dryer than regular steamed in foil method. The bite is most like a more moist version of Vegan Dad's luncheon meat method of steaming for an hour and then cooking at 350 for an hour. I will be cooking exactly like this again for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So I bowed to PPK peer pressure and bought a pressure cooker. So far, I've managed to overcook rice in five minutes...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:05 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been eyeing this electric pressure cooker -- the Instant Pot -- at Amazon because I like the extra features:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LU ... nstant+pot

Has anyone used one of these?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

This is what I have and it has slow cook option but I've only used the pressure cooker option
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-PC6-25P-Ele ... 003YETHCQ/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I was leaning towards a stovetop cooker, but my mom bought us the Power Cooker digital one. I'm going to try beans today. So many instructions! I'm skeered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

creep wrote:
So I was leaning towards a stovetop cooker, but my mom bought us the Power Cooker digital one. I'm going to try beans today. So many instructions! I'm skeered.
I have a cheapy stovetop one. They are set up so that the pressure causes it to lock as a safety feature - don't be afraid!

It will start off sounding like a normal pan, then make absolutely terrifying noises that will make you want to be as far away from it as you can, then settle down and cook your beans to perfect deliciousness.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I ended up with digital though! I cooked some split peas yesterday. It isn't quite as complicated as I thought, but the instruction booklet is super unhelpful, so I'm getting all my info from the innerwebs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am 
Level 7 Vegan

creep wrote:
I want one without the jiggly thing on top that won't explode. I don't really know anything about them, and looking at them on Amazon is a little overwhelming. I'm more interested in cooking than canning.

I have been using one with a jiggly thing on top for 30 years.....no explosions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fenice wrote:
I've been eyeing this electric pressure cooker -- the Instant Pot -- at Amazon because I like the extra features:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LU ... nstant+pot

Has anyone used one of these?

I just bought one of these (due to a great discount a Susan Voisin's fatfreevegan blog) and am loving it. It is so much easier to use than my old-style stovetop pressure cooker. There's a vegan cook who developed a vegan pressure cooker book whose recipes work perfectly with the Instant Pot (Jill Nussinow's The New Fast Food). I love that when the cooker is done, it will stop and keep things warm for up to 10 hours.

The cooker is huge and takes up a lot of counter space, but I think it's going to be worth it. Also, it's easy to clean! And no jiggly top.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

beforewisdom wrote:
creep wrote:
I want one without the jiggly thing on top that won't explode. I don't really know anything about them, and looking at them on Amazon is a little overwhelming. I'm more interested in cooking than canning.

I have been using one with a jiggly thing on top for 30 years.....no explosions.

Yeah, me too. When I was in the US last year I missed mine so much- how the hell are you supposed to cook beets without it?

I'm glad to see everyone hopping on the wagon. it is so useful, it saves energy/gas, and is just so convenient. I made soup in it yesterday during a half-hour work break, i love mine.

Oh, also- the jiggly ones, and probably all of them- nobody told me this ages ago when I got my first one- if you keep all the rubber parts in good working trim you have nothing to worry about. look at the gaskets, the emergency valves, the jiggly thing. They all need to be replaced occasionally (the one I have now I bought 7 years ago, I have replaced the emergency valve twice and the jiggler three times, i do admit the jiggler got lost once, my fault).
Inspect them and if anything looks weird or doesn't move the way it should, you need to replace parts. And my mother in law told me that if you use cold water to cool the cooker down so you can open it (stovetop cooker, obvs) the rubber gaskets will wear faster-- not sure how true it is but that is the one part I haven't replaced yet. The only problem I ever had was from the jiggler getting clogged up-- mine has holes i can poke clear with a toothpick, and i do check it every so often.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:00 am 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
And my mother in law told me that if you use cold water to cool the cooker down so you can open it (stovetop cooker, obvs) the rubber gaskets will wear faster-- not sure how true it is but that is the one part I haven't replaced yet. The only problem I ever had was from the jiggler getting clogged up-- mine has holes i can poke clear with a toothpick, and i do check it every so often.

That seems to make sense. The gaskets are the only thing I ever had to replace on my mine, though that is only after years of use for each. They are overpriced, since it is Italian company and only one place in the US sellls them. I still come out ahead financially with all of the money I saved not having to buy canned or frozen beans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Just read through all the comments and it's interesting. Mine is 35+ years old, stovetop with no options, and tends to scorch w/ grains, so I primarily use it for garbanzo, pinto, or black beans. Depending on the soaking length, they each cook in 4 - 6 minutes once they come up to pressure. I sort of go by smell to tell when they're done in that time frame. I always use cold water to bring the pressure down. I wonder if older, stovetop models go to higher pressure, and that's why they cook in so little time? Any of these beans would be complete mush if I cooked them for even 8 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Maybe you live at a different elevation or you get fresher dried beans.

My pressure cooker is a 30 year old Italian model. It cooks black,kidneys,pintos in 15 minutes, garbanzos and soy in 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The Instant Pot cooker has two pressures, both of which are lower than standard stove-top pressure cookers. The low-pressure is used for veggies and is convenient because you can vent the steam and lower the cooking pressure and temp really quickly. Otherwise, you'd overcook the veggies if you left the pressure to decline naturally. I bet it will be helpful to cook beans at a lower pressure, too. I look forward to trying.

I have nothing against my stovetop cooker, except that in the end I didn't use it very much. I definitely wasn't afraid of it. I guess am a gadget geek.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't understand all the fear of pressure cookers. The exploding models were from the 1970s. Forty years have passed, and for the past twenty years at least pressure cookers have been tested and insured by UL (Underwriters Laboratories). I've had mine since the early 1990s (it's a Magafesa; I've also heard excellent things about the Kuhn-Rikon) and it's never blown up on me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

considering that here in Brazil, it would not be overblowing it to say that every family has one and uses it at least every week.
Even so, according to the accident reporting system database, it is only an eighth as dangerous as using a ladder in the home. the accidents that happen seem to be mostly due to either buying crappy "remanufactured" ones. Either that, or people cooking condensed milk cans (whole) inside them, which seems to be either totally safe or absolutely deadly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 am 
Chip Strong

I love my electric pressure cooker (Fagor multi cooker). I've had it for a few years now and probably use it a couple times a week on average. These days it mostly gets used for cooking rice, but when I'm less lazy I like to cook beans and various stews in it. I have had success in cooking slow cooker recipes in it. I dread the day when it dies -- I figure something electrical could bite the dust at any moment. But perhaps the Teflon coating will be the first to go. I am eyeing an instant pot to replace it -- we'll see.

I got the cookbook "The new fast food: The Veggie Queen pressure cooks whole food meals in less than 30 minutes" from the library -- it has lots of simple recipes/meal ideas. There is a 3 minute potato recipe that I was skeptical of, but the potatoes really were done.

Do you guys use any of JL Fields' pressure cooker recipes? I saw that she has a pressure cooker cookbook on preorder on Amazon, and she had tons of recipes on her website.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:06 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I did end up buying the Instant Pot and I love it. Lentil soup in the time it takes me to shower post-workout. The slow cooker function is actually better than my dedicated slow cooker and the timer function is wonderful. (Warm steel cut oats in the morning.) I haven't used the rice cooker function yet. As someone pointed out, it does take up a lot of counter space but it's well worth it for me. Pressure cooker function is also great for making veggie broth with my freezer bag of vegetable cuttings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

torque wrote:
.. people cooking condensed milk cans (whole) inside them, which seems to be either totally safe or absolutely deadly.

WHAT? wowee zowee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

Beanitarian wrote:
I got the cookbook "The new fast food: The Veggie Queen pressure cooks whole food meals in less than 30 minutes" from the library -- it has lots of simple recipes/meal ideas. There is a 3 minute potato recipe that I was skeptical of, but the potatoes really were done.

Do you guys use any of JL Fields' pressure cooker recipes? I saw that she has a pressure cooker cookbook on preorder on Amazon, and she had tons of recipes on her website.

Maybe start a discussion for this in the Cookbooks forum? I have some recommendations but I don't want to take this discussion on a detour.