| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgiving 2014
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:38 am 
Huffs Nooch

It's not quite November yet, but Thanksgiving is only about 5 weeks away! Does anyone have any plans for what you'll be making? There's one thing that is on my menu for sure: Isa's pumpkin pie. I made it for the first time last year and it's the best pumpkin pie I've ever had.

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving 2014
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just came up with my tentative menu, but I can't decide for sure on a main dish. I'm thinking either the tempeh loaf from the Real Food Daily cookbook or something wrapped in puff pasty.

For sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Sweet potatoes (either roasted or mashed with apples), Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots, and probably cranberries and stuffing, because to not have those would be un-American. For dessert - Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie (also Isa's, never made it before, but really looking forward to it now) and maybe something chocolate.

It's all I can think about. I can't wait to eat all of the food.

Edit: I'll also be making cashew cheese to serve with crackers before the meal, along with whatever else we put out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Aw. I'm so torn about the holidays since I live alone now. My family is far away, and now that I don't have a roommate or live near the majority of my close friends, I have to seek out a place to go, if anywhere. Last year was a total disaster. (I went under the guise of a "vegan thanksgiving" and when I got there, not only were they carving a turkey, the hosts didn't even know I'd been invited, and the person who invited me wasn't even there!) I was invited to a real vegan thanksgiving dinner this year, but that was months ago, so I hope it still is a thing.

If so, I can't wait to cook for it. I want to do the seitan roast from the blog (if it's from a cookbook, I don't know which one) for sure. Maybe the Oh She Glows cheeseball.

Last year I made Isa's Dilly Stew, and even though the dinner itself was a bust, I took it to a local bar that's open on T-giving and shared it and everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 am 
Nailed to the V

Since I'm the only vegan in my family, I'm tempted to do the 1/2 hour Thanksgiving thing on the PPK blog. No matter what I do, I think I want chickpea cutlets for my "turkey." They're so yummy and holiday-y. I think I'll take Pumpkin Cheesecake as my pie, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made an inspiration pinterest board last year of all the recipes people talk about a lot or that I've loved.
http://www.pinterest.com/lazysmurf/vega ... g-recipes/

I think this year I might do one of the tofurkey's from Betty Goes Vegan for the main

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My plan this year is to be overly ambitious, swear that i'm going to get enough done the night before that the actual day will be a breeze, fail miserably at that and make myself nuts, and then make too much food! Just like every other year.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i keep it simple! if we can a field roast (harder to find if i am not by a wf) - then we will, if not i will do some sort of tempeh or tofu thing. i know red rice is a thanksging thing so...ya, that is my plan so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm thinking about making this chickpea tart: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-bas ... art-vegan/

Has anyone tried that? Is it thanksgiving-worthy?

I think we will be bouncing between omni Thanksgivings, but I kind of want to do my own small vegan dinner just for us. It will be simple though... probably just rolls, roasted sweet potatoes, whatever main dish I decide on, and something green.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ashley wrote:
I'm thinking about making this chickpea tart: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-bas ... art-vegan/

Has anyone tried that? Is it thanksgiving-worthy?

I think we will be bouncing between omni Thanksgivings, but I kind of want to do my own small vegan dinner just for us. It will be simple though... probably just rolls, roasted sweet potatoes, whatever main dish I decide on, and something green.

I made the chickpea tart a couple of years ago, and it was definitely Thanksgiving-worthy and very tasty. Plus, it freezes well, and so you can either make it ahead of time, or you can make two tarts, use one for Thanksgiving and then freeze one for another holiday get-together, like Christmas if you celebrate it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think all I require to be happy for thanksgiving this year are some garlic and rosemary smashed up Yukon gold potatoes with red lentil gravy (vwav chick pea gravy but with red lentils instead of chick peas) and then Terry's pumpkin flan baked in a perfect crust so it's like a very custardy pie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:24 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

LazySmurf wrote:
I made an inspiration pinterest board last year of all the recipes people talk about a lot or that I've loved.
http://www.pinterest.com/lazysmurf/vega ... g-recipes/

Thanks for doing this--so many great ideas here!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My go-to has been a squash and kale tart from World Vegan Feast and I'm looking forward to making it again. I forget if the recipe is designed this way or I just simplify it, but I make it like a crostada and it's just a flat "pie" on the baking sheet with the edges of the crust folded partway onto the top of the tart. It's hearty enough to eat as the centerpiece to my plate at an omni Thanksgiving and is well liked by others who try it. In fact now I might need to make a "test" tart to tide myself over until Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We ordered from Cinnamon Snail! Pecan sage crusted seitan with grilled mushroom gravy, roasted garlic smashed potatoes, lemon-mustard marinated kale, parsnip sage bread pudding, cranberry orange relish, horseradish mac n cheese, thanksgiving donuts.

I'll probably make a couple things to go with that, because I like cooking on Thanksgiving. Roasted brussels sprouts, maybe a cheeze ball. This cranberry salsa thing that happens most thanksgivings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, it will just be me and my SO (not vegan). I really hate the holidays, and am grumpy, then spend hours in the kitchen, and we barely touch the food, and he hates leftovers. I don't want to spend more than one active hour in the kitchen this year, not for just two people, and only one of whom (me) will eat leftovers.

I think this year, i will just make a tofurky, and easy sides. Potato drop biscuits. Roasted Brussel Sprouts. Maybe some real mashed potatoes (usually I do cauliflower/potato). Maybe a new pumpkin pie recipe. Or try and make a pecan pie. But that will be the extent of my cooking. Usually make way too much food

I want to get up early and go on a hike anyways!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm 

What is with the weirdos of this world who will not eat leftovers? No offence meant at chiki's so, or any other specific person. I have a few very dear friends who will not touch leftovers, and I can not understand this. I just don't understand how you wouldn't want to eat yummy food that has gotten even more yummy after melding for a day or two, and there is almost no work involved. All you have to do is heat it up. I mean, I get getting sick of things. But If you eat leftovers A and C on Monday, and then leftovers A and B on Tuesday, and then C and D on Wednesday, etc. how can you get sick of things? Or you can make X stew on Sunday and then have something completely different on Monday and then make X salad or sandwiches with the leftovers on Tuesday. Or just freeze the leftovers and eat them in a week or a month when they will taste all new and fun again. People who claim they won't eat leftovers confuse me. Have they ever eaten at a restaurant? Because if so, they might want to be very careful to never order the soup of the day or any specials, because these are probably creative re-uses of leftovers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:26 am 
Chip Strong

I think some people only like food that is completely fresh, or they get tired of eating the same thing? Hard to say. I can't really relate -- I love not having to cook, and there are lots of things that actually taste better the 2nd day.

I'm going to be busy with work for Thanksgiving, so I might not have much to contribute. I like to make rolls -- I can make the dough the night before and bake the rolls that day. I would love to make some kind of pumpkin dessert that isn't pie. If it's another pumpkin pie, nobody else will eat it -- my family insists on making nonvegan pumpkin pies no matter what.

I like the pumpkin flan in a crust idea -- are there any special cooking instructions for this? Do you bake the crust separately and then pour the hot cooked custard into it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My plan this year is to be overly ambitious, swear that i'm going to get enough done the night before that the actual day will be a breeze, fail miserably at that and make myself nuts, and then make too much food! Just like every other year.

Ha! So true. I'll be doing the same.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

LazySmurf, that Pinterest board is a gem, thank you. I'm trying out the 'Brussels Sprouts with Quinoa and Cranberries' and 'Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Chives' recipes right now.

No Thanksgiving plans here, those just sounded delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm 

Beanitarian wrote:
I like the pumpkin flan in a crust idea -- are there any special cooking instructions for this? Do you bake the crust separately and then pour the hot cooked custard into it?

I don't know. I haven't thought it through, and I've never done it before. I think what you suggest sounds good. My other idea is to use the pumpkin flan as the custard portion of a boston cream pie. Or maybe make pumpkin cake with plain vanilla custard into a boston cream pie. Decisions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Does anyone have a good recipe for dinner rolls? I tried one last year, and it was an epic fail. I'd love to make them from scratch, and the more successful vegan food I can bring to dinner the better!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 am 
Chip Strong

I like to use the artisan bread in 5 dough and just form it into rolls -- the plain white recipe can be found here: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/ ... utes-a-day

Or I particularly like this deli rye for Thanksgiving: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/ ... its-sticky (Follow the recipe at our Back to Basics post, but subsitute 1/2 cup of rye flour (Bob’s or Hodgson Mills) for 1/2 cup of unbleached all-pupose (in the book, the swap is for a full cup). Then, add 1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds to the initial mix. Everything else is the same (in Artisan Bread in Five, we used a whole cup of rye flour, and it’s also a great result– just different).)

If you make full recipes, you'll need a large bowl/bucket -- 5-6 quarts at least. The full recipe would make about 4 pounds of rolls, so you can cut them in half or quarter if you want a smaller amount. I usually let rolls rise about 20 minutes, then brush with soy milk (optional) and bake 20-25 minutes at 375 or 400 F, or until tops brown.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The potato rolls from von are amazing as are the poppyseed Rolls from vegan brunch (I think)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Ha, this is my usual MO. Drives my husband nuts. I've taken to pretty much taking off the week before Thanksgiving and doing a ton of prep for day of. We are hosting at least eight this year - very excited!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Our draft list this year (I know it's too much, but it's Thanksgiving and everyone just takes home leftovers so it's all good)...

Field Roast's hazelnut cranberry seitan en croute (it's delicious), fruit and herb stuffing, sweet potato casserole with orange-scented brown sugar crust, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, some kind of brussel sprout dish (likely carmelized brussels with walnuts), apple-glazed roasted root vegetables with tarragon and pomegranate, muhammara, Bryanna Clark Grogan's "Boursin", white bean dip with rosemary and garlic, scalloped corn, and depending what the CSA brings, probably a roasted golden beet salad with arugula, orange vinaigrette and roasted almonds. Definitely sour cream raisin apple pie for dessert plus probably one other pie. Oh yeah and regular and bourbon cranberry sauce. So good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made these Pumpkin rolls last year and they were amaaaazing! http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2011/10/pu ... rolls.html

The recipe made so many that I was able to freeze a bunch as well.