| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: spring cookbook challenge - weeks 10 & 11 - VEGAN EATS W
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the moussaka stew thingie but I changed the much (no idea where to find pomegranate molasses, i changed the spices and reduced oil) I really dont know what it would taste like if I had followed the recipe. But, um, either way it was really tasty.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm pretty sure I'll never see a pandan leaf in my state.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yassa Lemon Mustard Seitan (using Coriander Seitan Cutlets) and Lemony Dill Rice. Chard with Shallots and Olives from Wild About Greens.

This was amazing. The seitan and rice worked together, even though they're from different regions. Both were lemony, obviously, but the mustard and dill played off each other really well. The rice alone was flavorful, if a bit mushy because I cooked it a couple minutes too long (still, 14 minutes, not 20-24 like the instructions say), but I love lemon and dill together. The seitan was tangy and mustardy and spicy and along with the carrots and onions soaked up the sauce and was simply divine. I can't wait to eat my leftovers tomorrow. The coriander seitan alone was a bit bland, but that worked here since the sauce is so flavorful. Will definitely make both again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So far this week, we've made a wrap containing:

~Cashew Faux Feta (pretty good, probably not soft enough, would like to try on a salad though)
~Mediterranean Baked Tofu (marinated for a few hrs, no chile powder, very good)
~Lemony Dill Rice

Together it's all pretty good, but very messy. A little too bright and sunny for me. I prefer earthy & savory. :)

Last night we made the White Bean Farro Soup with Chickpea Parmigiana. This was delicious! Earthy & savory ;) The chickpea parmigiana didn't turn out correctly I think. It was too soft, not resembling grated cheese at all. The tangy flavor of it though complemented the soup perfectly. This really does make a huge batch too (the soup).

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I made the moussaka stew thingie but I changed the much (no idea where to find pomegranate molasses, i changed the spices and reduced oil) I really dont know what it would taste like if I had followed the recipe. But, um, either way it was really tasty.

The moussaka stew is wonderful. Try a Middle Eastern shop for pomegranate molasses (it is a lovely ingredient to have). My current bottle is by Lebanon Garden and is labelled in German, Swedish, Arabic, and English so I guess you might find it somewhere near you?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Zula, yes that faro and white bean soup is so good. Extra good with the suggested added greens. I don't know that the chick pea parm is supposed to be the same texture as grated cheese. The important thing is that it melts/disintegrates into the soup.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It's just too hot to cook. I guess I'll look through the salads or take on the coconut kale rolls when it is a tad cooler on Sunday. Meanwhile I'll be a sloth, fan myself and enjoy all your photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

fruitbat wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

The moussaka stew is wonderful. Try a Middle Eastern shop for pomegranate molasses (it is a lovely ingredient to have). My current bottle is by Lebanon Garden and is labelled in German, Swedish, Arabic, and English so I guess you might find it somewhere near you?

I dont think I know middle eastern shops. I looked in 2 turkish ones and didnt find it. I'll keep it in mind though.

I tried to make the crepes today and it was a complete fail. i put the batter into the fridge over night (as stated) and i could not for my life make crepes out of these. it was like a tasteless pudding :/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

VeganinBerlin wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I dont think I know middle eastern shops. I looked in 2 turkish ones and didnt find it. I'll keep it in mind though.

I tried to make the crepes today and it was a complete fail. i put the batter into the fridge over night (as stated) and i could not for my life make crepes out of these. it was like a tasteless pudding :/

Did you ask them? I went to my small Turkey shop and I asked because I had no idea how it looked like (it was right in my face too, as it often is).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I actually didn't. I just googled the German name, so I'll ask next time if I feel courageous enough. I found it online in some arabic food shops but it was really expensive there. I cant spend 10 euros on something Im unsure if I'll use again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:49 am 

Price can vary a lot. I didn't pay more than 3 € for the bottle I have now. Look for a glass bottle of around 30 cl, usually with pomegratates on the front. Al Wadi is another common brand:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I started making the paste and baked tofu for the green curry. Will be having that tonight with the naan bread.

I know I've made it before but I had the bahn mi for lunch. This was the first time I pressed the tofu though. I also had the thai thin soy sauce but couldn't get it open. It was delicious as usual. I have some plans for the leftovers for tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be more epic than epic fail because I might cry if it doesn't turn out good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Lebanese Moussaka Stew: We didn't have pomegranate molasses, so we used the substitution stated in the book instead. I'll keep my eyes open for the molasses, though, if it's as good as you say, I'll have to try it! The stew was good and made a ton.

Zen Spinach Wonton Soup: I really shouldn't have attempted this without first reading up on wontons and maybe watching a couple of videos - I had never worked with wontons before and most of them fell apart. The taste was good, but it took me ages and the result was kind of depressing, so I'm not sure if I'll ever make this again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had the green curry with naan. I'm so stuffed. I had planned on having 2 naans but they were so good I had a third. The curry was good but the naan rule the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 pm 

daisychain wrote:
I had the green curry with naan. I'm so stuffed. I had planned on having 2 naans but they were so good I had a third. The curry was good but the naan rule the world.

The naan is so good! I want to try all the variations. I've only made them with nigella plus the za'atar flatbread so far, but I really want to make garlic naan next.

I haven't posted here since I didn't take part in the previous weeks but I posted about the bulgur mujaddara and Lebanese moussaka stew in the VEW thread. I've also recently made the green beans and cauliflower in berbere sauce, using niter kebbeh from the book as well. Oh, and the pickled red onions, which I think are even simpler than the ones in Viva Vegan. They are so pretty and I want to put them on everything.

The one thing I've noticed with this book (other than how hard it is to get certain ingredients here) is that I will really have to get a spice grinder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I badly need a spice grinder too. Smashing corriander and cumin seeds with a knife is boring work.

I managed to find pandan leaves on Thursday. So proud! I have them in the freezer since the recipes I am planning to use for the challenge don't need them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:34 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

making the sage broccoli and pilaf (spiced up) tomorrow....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just used scrambled Bahn Mi and daikon pickles as pizza topping. I used a quarter of the dough recipe from VWAV and some of the tomato sauce. I added some sriracha to the tomato sauce and also drizzled some sriracha on top.

My mouth is on fire but happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

This week I'm making the mango millet peanut salad (but probably with cashews instead of peanuts), artichoke tomato panzanella, and the green curry. Gonna be a tasty week, methinks.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The mango millet peanut salad is really good. I made that for a potluck and it went down well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 pm 

#4 Tandori Tofu: I've never had tandori before, so I wasn't sure what I was going for. I thought it was fine, but I probably wouldn't make it again. But I tend to prefer southern Indian recipes. My spouse who has had tandori said it was good but the seasoning didn't taste like tandori.

#5 Bhindi something (Indian Okra) (sorry, I can't remember the name and the book is in the bedroom and I don't want to wake my sleeping spouse to get it): quick, easy, and good. Amazingly not too slimy. And I got to use a little bit of my life time supply of mango powder!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Whooooaaaaaaa my green curry paste is spicy as hell. The whole thing tastes great though. Nice to know, since I'm never eating Thai food out in my town again, and green curry was my favorite!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Green curry, made with the coriander seitan cutlets instead of tofu, since I had some leftover from last week. The flavor of this is great, but holy wow is it spicy! Next time I might seed my chilis. Also wishing I hadn't left my smaller food processor with my ex, since the paste just gets lost in my bigger one.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 pm 

#6 Herbs de Provence Seitan, but I steamed it instead of baking it, cause it was hot out and I didn't want to turn my oven on. I also subbed a bit of the veg broth with white wine and added a little mustard. This might be the best seitan I've ever made. It has the perfect chewy yet tender texture and is moist but not soggy or mushy and the flavor is wonderful. I made it to throw on the grill with farmers market asparagus, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made pho last night! I never made this one during testing because the recipe seemed complicated, but clearly I'm an idiot because this was super easy and makes a ton (multiple dinners at once, that's efficiency!). Next time I would probably slice the bok choy in half rather than finely slicing, because I wanted those big bits, but that's a pretty minor criticism. The broth is super flavourful, I want to make a vat and keep it around at all times. This was Boyfriend's first ever pho (how does that happen?) and he polished off the whole bowl (I could only manage half of mine- they're pretty huge). Good winter food!