| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: spring cookbook challenge - weeks 10 & 11 - VEGAN EATS W
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erinnerung, your pho is beautiful! I want to make it now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 am 
WELFARIST!

Agreed, the pho looks great! I've never had pho, and was turned off because the recipe does look kind of complicated. Do you really need a burner for your table, or can you just assemble on the stovetop?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the great big vegetable couscous today and I absolutely loved it! I didn't have any cauliflower so I left it out and added some peas and spinach at the very end instead. I'm really looking forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow. Also, I might never make plain couscous again - the spiced couscous is just as easy to make and tastes 1000 times better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

Artichoke Panzanella thingamajig. Amazeballs. I've never made panzanella before because I always thought it would just result in soggy bread, but boy was I wrong. My bread was rock hard stale though, so that might have helped. I seriously can't even convey how much I love this. I used all fresh herbs since I'm growing all the dried ones called for (doubling the amounts) and it is to die. Lemony, garlicky, salty, herby! I used an entire 14 oz can of artichokes also, since I love artichokes. Definitely making this for a BBQ that T is having in a couple weeks, I think it will really wow people. Yay for success! Added bonus, I'm in my moon room, so all of the bread and wine need to be inside me ASAP, so this was the perfect dinner.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Black Bean Soup with Roasted Poblanos and Pickled Red Onions.

This is really terrific and only gets better with each night, like most soups. The peppers are so smoky and yummy and the pickled onions make for a nice crunchy contrast. Plus they're gorgeous! For the chile powder/ paprika, I used 1/2 tsp mixed chile powder, 1/2 tsp chipotle and 1 tsp smoked paprika and it turned out perfectly.

Added avocado and whipped tofutti cream cheese mixed with lemon juice and nooch on top.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had the curried avocado summer rolls with peanut sauce the past 2 days for lunch at work. Really enjoyed them. They were a perfect lunch..... light but filling and very tasty. Messy to eat which just made them taste even better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm 

#7: Avocado Mango Cashew Salad. So good and quick and easy to make. It would be refreshing on a hot summer day; although we are now having cold summer days. While I would wait to add the nuts and rice powder for the last minute, the rest of the salad leftovers were just fine the next day, so you don't need to rush to make it immediately before serving, despite the instructions.

#8: Toasted Rice Powder. I made this to go on the Avocado Mango Cashew Salad. Terry does describe it as a subtle ingredient, but for me it was so very subtle, and the rest of the salad ingredients were so bold and flavorful, that I didn't feel it added anything to the salad and would just skip it next time.

#9: Pad Kee Mao (Spicy Drunken Noodles) were a delicious excuse to use all my new Thai soy sauces. Slurp!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm 

Oops, double post, sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:29 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok, finally getting around to posting this stuff! I made 3 things, wanted to make more, but was travelling for work and whatnot.

Mango Peanut Millet Salad

This was really delish. And could be really fast, especially if you cook the millet on the weekend, it could be a really fast weeknight dinner. I used chili garlic sauce for the hot sauce part, but you could put anything in there really. It did need way more salt and lime juice, but that might also be because I used unsalted peanuts. I served it with Jalapeno-cilantro, and regular hummus. Omni partner nommed it all right up, seconds too! Asked for this to be put on the regular rotation.

Pad Thai with Avocado

Ok, I was apprehensive about this one. I already have a pad thai recipe I love (adapted from VWAV) and I thought the avocado sounded weird. But, the avocado in there was DELISH. This was a really savory Pad Thai, and the avocado complimented it very well. I didn't like the ketchup in there though, I would use tomato paste next time. We will make this again with a few adjustments....

Black Eye Pea Curry (maybe a different name?)

This was good, very good, but not exactly what I expected. I thought it would be more carreabian in flavor for some reason. Well that will be easy to fix in the future! Little allspice, some thyme etc. It was easy, pretty quick, and leftovers were really yummy. Another one I will make again. I served it with roasted garlic lemon broccoli

I tried to make the tandoori tofu one night, but my tofu went bad. Actually I bought a bad pack. Gross. Next time maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, as usual my photos aren't fantastic but usually I am starving and trying to dodge a german shepherd eating the food.

It's Not Easy Being Green Curry and Yogurt Naan Bread: Both beautiful. I will probably never buy shop bought naan bread again. No naan bread will ever taste the same after it. I also made the savoury baked tofu for the first time for this.

Turkish Zucchini Pancakes with Cashew Yogurt and Roasted Chilli Harissa Paste: Loved the pancakes! The harissa was quite hot. I may leave out all the seeds next time. I did accidentally buy green chillies instead of red but it was still all good.

Not pictured:
Curried Avocado Summer Rolls and Peanut Dipping sauce: Great lunch. Nice and filling but light enough that I wasn't groggy afterwards.

Bahn Mi and Star Anise Daikon Pickles: I've made them before but I had to include them again because it's been a while since I had Bahn Mi and I had run out of pickles.

I had great plans to make the big vegetable cous cous but I had so much food going on the past week I didn't get around to it. I'm planning on it for tomorrow or else Tuesday evening instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sorry I've been absent a lot lately. I've only made one dish during this challenge, and I think it was my first Terry recipe ever, which is a shame because it was so yummy! I'm going to have to put more Terry on the menu from now on! This dish is called Moros y Christianos, or something like that. It's not a great photo, but it is so delicious I will be making it again and again!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 am 

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
I think it was my first Terry recipe ever, which is a shame because it was so yummy! I'm going to have to put more Terry on the menu from now on!

Terry recipes rock the universe! My spouse gets excited when I pull out a Terry cookbook and says "Ooo, are we having a Terry recipe for dinner?!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the lemony garlic oven potatoes and they weren't very lemony or garlicy. I have a feeling there's something wrong going on with my tastebuds at the moment because it had enough garlic and lemon "logically" to taste like something.

I also tried to make the roasted broccoli but I think Im too dumb to get it right between raw and burnt.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Last Saturday I made Chinese Sticky Rice with Tempeh Sausage Crumbles and Crisp Stir-Fry Greens with Veggie Oyster Sauce (though, to be honest, mine didn't turn out that crispy). It was good! It did take me longer than I thought it would, though, and I think it would be a good idea to prepare the rice and tempeh crumbles on the day before.