| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daiya Cream Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just bought the garlic and chive one but have yet to try it. I absolutely love the toffuttti garlic and herb one though so I am not sure ho this will compare after reading the reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Is it evil of me to feed it all to my toddler since she likes the strawberry? I still can't get over the green bits. How do I know if it gets moldy??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I guess I'm glad I didn't try this stuff today. I don't like tofutti at all unless it's blended with something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm 
Chip Strong

I have to say I don't hate this -- it may even be growing on me a bit. It is perfectly acceptable to have on a bagel. I though I was pretty much out of cream cheese options as most either have palm oil or trans fats, so I will fully admit to having lowered expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ok so I've tried the chive and onion one and I like it. At first I wasn't sure but I like the texture, it's seems close enough to real cream cheese. I will definitely buy again. It's good on bagels, pretzels and crackers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

I bought the strawberry variety and thought it was repulsive, just gross, weird texture, etc. It seemed very plastic. I doctored it up with some pureed strawberries, vanilla, a pinch of salt and some agave, then it was pretty good. But I shouldn't have to fix Daiya's product for them. Love the Tofutti cream cheese though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 am 
Tofu Pup

maybe it was just me. I'm actually really surprised to see so many positive reviews of this stuff!

When I saw the Daiya cream cheese on the shelf on my local WFM, I was ecstatic. I've always loved strawberry cream cheese, and had always wished Tofutti had a strawberry flavor of their Better than Cream Cheese (which I LOVE). So, I was shocked when I bit into my bagel this morning (first time trying the stuff), and couldn't get past the weird flavor. I don't think I can even properly describe the awful flavor of this stuff. It was sweet, but not sweet enough. it was tart, but not as tart as regular cream cheese (or even Tofutti). It had barely discernible strawberry-esque flavor, and was completely insufficient. I hoped that perhaps it was just the combination of the OJ and the strawberry, or perhaps the everything bagel it was on, but it was not, as when I tasted it bagel-less, it was still completely disgusting.

I love all other Daiya products. I will never make the mistake of purchasing this again. So completely and utterly disappointed. I'll be back to purchasing unflavored Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese again for the rest of my days...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I might try the strawberry one when they make their way to my area,, since I really like real strawberry cream cheese. I've tried the tofutti stuff and it had a doughy taste to me that reminded me of the smell of play dough, not enjoyable at all. I did find that if I covered it with jelly it tasted a lot more like if I had used real cream cheese. Maybe I would like the extra sweetness of the daiya, since I only liked the tofutti when it was covered in sweet jelly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

The only vegan cheese I really love!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh man you guys, I finally tried it because my sister in law gifted me some that she couldn't stomach. Neither could I, it turns out. I've been trying to like vegan convenience products I hate (Daiya shreds, gardein, etc...) and it's not going well. Too bad because they are available everywhere and for cheaper now but I just can't get past the hints of chemical waste. Cashew and nooch and wheat gluten everything 4eva.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:07 am 
Inflexitarian

I love all three daiya types. Tofutti is okay but kind of bland to me... Not tangy or cheesy enough.