| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do to with sorrel?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:12 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Dear PPK,

I picked up my CSA box yesterday, and it contains sorrel, which I've never cooked with or even tried before. Does anyone know about what to do with this sorrel business? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What do to with sorrel?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My mom gave me a bunch of sorrel awhile back! It's got a tart, almost lemony flavor. I know it's good in salads because the greens mix I buy has it in there, but I wanted to cook with it. I cut mine into thin ribbons and threw it into a batch of the Arabian Lentil and Rice Soup from Appetite for Reduction. The tart flavor went great with it, because the soup is already so lemony, and it added a nice punch of color. I do know that if you want to cook it on its own, it breaks down a lot, so you'd need tons of it to get a decent sized side dish. I'd say stick with tossing it into soups or maybe some sort of rice dish, where it wouldn't get lost.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have way the hell too much sorrel taking over one of the herb beds in the garden, so I've been trying to find recipes lately that use a bunch of it. I made a very yummy sorrel soup recently I sauteed about 3 cups of sorrel with some onion and olive oil, which was delicious in and of itself. I also cooked a bunch of potato, some carrot, and veg bullion in a big pot of water, plus some quinoa to make it a more decent and standalone meal. I mixed in the sorrel and onion and blended it all up, then garnished with some fill (which is also trying to take over the garden!) I may or may not have also mixed in some kind of milk- i probably did add a cup or so of unsweetened almond/coconut milk. Plus a couple pieces of wholegrain sourdough toast and it was one of my favorite meals I've cooked in the last couple weeks!

I also liked it sauteed enough that I recently sauteed more with onions and chard as a side dish for some pasta the other night.

I also cut it up into salads sometimes and it is alright, but mine is super strong and I like the way cooking it mellows it out a little more. Plus adding a few leaves to salads doesn't use up nearly enough for me!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I made chilled sorrel soup once when I got it in a CSA box and have yet to hear the end of it from my husband. That was at least a decade ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ooh, I especially like the ideas about sauteeing it with onions & chard, as I also got chard in my CSA box. I've also been eyeing that lentil soup recipe in AFR, so that's also excellent. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

This looks lovely; if you're not in the UK (or don't like samphire), asparagus would be a great substitute.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... d-samphire

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com