| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cookbook challenge weeks 14 & 15 - let them eat vegan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

**early weekend warrior posting**

This is the official discussion thread for weeks 14 & 15 of our cookbook challenge. It's the last week! Nearly 4 months of a cookbook challenge! I've been quite the slacker lately with participating, but it's been awesome to see what everyone's been cooking up!

This is our last cookbook challenge week! During this two week period from Monday June 24 – Sunday July 7, choose 6 recipes (or more or less depending on your schedule) from LET THEM EAT VEGAN. Come back here to tell us all about the recipes you made and post photos** if you can!

(**Go to this original announcement post viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26223 and scroll down to find the instructions on how to insert photos into your comment post**)

ONLINE RESOURCES FOR LET THEM EAT VEGAN BY DREENA BURTON

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Them-Eat-Vega ... 000&sr=1-1

http://books.google.com/books?id=KqvMu7ipYzYC

Dreena has a collection of book reviews (some with recipes) and press on her pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/dreenaburton/press-bits/

LTEV recipes on her blog: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/category ... -cookbook/

Dreena's FB friends post pics of recipes they’ve made along with feedback:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreena-B ... ef=tn_tnmn

THIS WAS THE THE FULL COOKBOOK CHALLENGE SCHEDULE:

Monday March 25 – Sunday March 31: Disappointed that one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks did not get chosen for our challenge? Show us how crazy wrong we were not to vote for it! Your choice of cookbook!
Monday April 1 – Sunday April 14: your choice of any Isa/Terry cookbook(s)
Monday April 15 – Sunday April 28: Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson
Monday April 29 – Sunday May 12: Chloe’s Kitchen (+ baking book)
Monday May 13 – Sunday May 26: Cookin’ Crunk by Bianca Philips
Monday May 27 – Sunday June 9: Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero
Monday June 10 – Sunday June 23: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Tami and Celine
Monday June 24 – Sunday July 7: Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton

*If you personally decide to change up the order of the cookbook challenge weeks, please wait until the appropriate discussion thread is posted to share your food photos + comments**

**If you don't have LET THEM BE VEGAN and/or aren't interested in the online resources, feel free to continue to participate in our challenge by either:
(1) Continuing to cook out of any Isa and/or Terry cookbook and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread (online resources are here too):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26359
and/or
(2) Choosing one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26246

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: cookbook challenge weeks 14 & 15 - let them eat vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't have Let Them Eat Vegan, but I do have Eat Drink and Be Vegan by Dreena, so I used that one.

It's hotter than Hades here, so it opted for some cool salad options. First up was a were the Jumbo Croutons (pg. 82) and the Living Caesar Dressing (pg. 83). I tossed them with some organic romaine and cherry tomatoes from our garden. This is going to be my go-to Caesar dressing from now on. I gave some to my friend for her birthday. She loved it.

Fred likes a little sweeter dressing. The Back-to-Basics Balsamic Vinaigrette (pg. 77) was a good choice for sweet, but not overly sweet. I paired this with some fresh organic spinach, cherry tomatoes, avocado and a small type of native AZ red onion. It was topped off with the Blackened Tofu (pg. 121). I love anything blackened. The spice of the tofu was perfect with the sweetness of the dressing.

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oops, I guess I started early. I made the Pumpkin Cake and the Almond-Maple Sauce from Let Them Eat Vegan, with a few subs (whole wheat pastry flour instead of light spelt and coconut sugar instead of unrefined granulated for the cake; cornstarch instead of arrowroot and coconut beverage instead of almond milk for the sauce). I also baked them in 6 mini bundt cavities instead of two 8" rounds. Tasty!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been really looking forward to this challenge. I admire Dreena but somehow i never feel I'm the right target for her books - not a fan of sweet things or smoothies, don't cook for kids and I'm not massively into sauces and dips. Anyway tonight I made the jerk chickpeas and I absolutely loved them. I served them with some brown rice and a spinach side dish that I tested for Isa's next book. The combination was perfect. I would make these again for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:33 pm 

Just realised that the spinach I tested got put on the blog too, so if anyone wants to try the same combination they can. It's the spinach from this one http://www.theppk.com/2012/04/jerk-slop ... d-spinach/. I spooned the coconut liquid from the bottom of the pan over the rice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i suck, i did not do the last challenge & i do not have this book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got a jump on this one! I made the Onion Hummus with Hemp Seeds and the Veg-veeta Dip yesterday. I love them both! I was really hoping the hummus would go over big with my hemp seed-addicted husband, and it got the big seal of approval from him. The Veg-veeta passed the kid test, so I would say both were a success. Off to go find more stuff to make from the book......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the French Lentil Soup with Smoked Paprika over my parents house tonight. It was a hit with my two young girls, my parents, and my husband. I did lower the amount of smoked paprika like Dreena's kid comments suggested. It seemed to make way more then the 4-6 suggested servings. I would estimate 6-8 servings. I have had the book for awhile now and this is the first recipe I have made. Oh and I used regular lentils since that was all I could find at my grocery store.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thai Peanut Vegetable Stew was great! I used prepared lemongrass, so that saved some time (and I didn't have to fish out the stalk after it had cooked). The only thing that would have made it better is if I had been able to find cilantro to garnish with. Weirdly, my store was out, which I can safely say has never happened before. Anyway, this was just peanutty enough without being overpowering (although I did have to use some cashew butter since I ran out of peanut butter before I filled my half cup), and the coconut/lime/ginger/lemongrass flavor was just the Thai tastiness that I was looking for. Will definitely make this again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:14 pm 

My library finally got this book and I was surprised at how many recipes piqued my interest.

So far I've made:

~Citrus-Scented Almond Muffins: I used flax meal and almond milk. These have a mild citrusy, slightly crunchy almond flavor. Overall the flavor is nice, but these are a little too dry for me.

~Smoky Spiced Tahini Sauce:
I made this to go in quinoa & coriander-tempeh lunch wraps. Normally I love tahini sauces and smoked paprika, but I don't love the flavor of this by itself, it's too bitter. I added a bit more agave and doubled the smoked paprika, but it's just ehh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am 
Nailed to the V

Zula wrote:
~Smoky Spiced Tahini Sauce:[/b] I made this to go in quinoa & coriander-tempeh lunch wraps. Normally I love tahini sauces and smoked paprika, but I don't love the flavor of this by itself, it's too bitter. I added a bit more agave and doubled the smoked paprika, but it's just ehh.

I made this yesterday, too, except I combined the other tahini recipe in the book (Citrus Tahini Sauce) with this tahini sauce to make a smoky and citrusy combo. Dang, it's good! Like, lick the bowl clean good. I drowned my salad in it last night and am considering doing that again at every meal until all the sauce is gone.

I also made the Tofu Baked with Olives and Grapes (the title is something like that). It was another huge success. I used grape tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes, and all the acidic flavors really played well together. Awesome.

Finally, I made the Lemon Infused Mediterranean Lentils for the second time this month. It's a favorite in my household. It's easy and cheap, and extremely flavorful. Love.

I don't know how I lived my life without this book! I'm kind of obsessed with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:49 am 

beethecookie wrote:
Zula wrote:
~Smoky Spiced Tahini Sauce:[/b] I made this to go in quinoa & coriander-tempeh lunch wraps. Normally I love tahini sauces and smoked paprika, but I don't love the flavor of this by itself, it's too bitter. I added a bit more agave and doubled the smoked paprika, but it's just ehh.

I made this yesterday, too, except I combined the other tahini recipe in the book (Citrus Tahini Sauce) with this tahini sauce to make a smoky and citrusy combo. Dang, it's good! Like, lick the bowl clean good. I drowned my salad in it last night and am considering doing that again at every meal until all the sauce is gone.

Fabulous idea, I'm gonna try that!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 am 
Nailed to the V

Zula wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
Zula wrote:

Fabulous idea, I'm gonna try that!!!

Yes, do it! As you said, the smoky one by itself it probably not sweet enough, so the citrus and balsamic vinegar in the citrusy one really balance it out. It's wondrous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

beethecookie wrote:

I also made the Tofu Baked with Olives and Grapes (the title is something like that). It was another huge success. I used grape tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes, and all the acidic flavors really played well together. Awesome.

Finally, I made the Lemon Infused Mediterranean Lentils for the second time this month. It's a favorite in my household. It's easy and cheap, and extremely flavorful. Love.

Those are two of my favorite recipes from this book!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 pm 

I made the Thai almond chickpea curry this evening. I used more chilli than she suggested, and I did use the optional lime leaves. I liked it but it confused me a bit. I would normally only use a bought curry paste for a quick dinner. I do use bought paste, but I can have a decent meal on the table in less time than it takes to cook some rice. If I can spend the hour cooking that this takes, I'd generally be making my own paste. I appreciate there's down time, but it's just not the way I cook. It gets rave reviews though, so it must just be me. As I said, I did like it, though another time I'd change the ratio of chickpeas more in favour of the veg, but that's an easy fix.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tempeh Tickle and Creamy Polenta. (Thai Green Beans with some zucchini added in from AFR.) I had already made the creamy polenta and liked it a lot. I'm going to start making it with veg broth instead of water, though, so it's a bit more seasoned. It's a nice, easy side dish for loads of things, though. The tempeh was also tasty! It's just marinated tempeh, but I really liked the marinade. I baked mine, mainly so I wouldn't have to dirty another dish in the process, since I marinated it in the baking dish. I did slice my tempeh before steaming (and steamed instead of simmered), but that's just personal preference, I think. A hearty and tasty meal!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

Oh, I've got that tempeh marinating right now for tomorrow. I'm going to have it in a sandwich with the spinach pesto as suggested, don't know what with yet though, maybe the olive oil potatoes or whatever they're called.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:29 pm 

Found some time to make:

~Cheesy Sprinkle: Easy, obviously but delicious on top of some pureed green veggie soup.
~Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies: These on are on Dreena's website. My first time using Sucanat. I love these cookies. Wholesome, but decadent-tasting!
~Jerk Chickpeas: Pretty darn easy to throw together and they make the house smell fantastic. Great flavor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:54 am 

I made 3 recipes last night. I had the tempeh tickle in a ciabatta with the spinach pistachio pesto and the oil and vinegar potatoes on the side. I really enjoyed it. The tempeh was really good and I thought the pesto would overpower it but it didn't. The potatoes were a nice change but I think I probably cut them smaller than she intended so I could get more oil on them. It was a lovely meal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 am 
Nailed to the V

I think my husband might try to leave me for Dreena soon! Everything I make from this book, he falls madly in love with. Last night was the Mushroom Pecan Burgers II. My mixture was very moist, so I ended up shaping the whole mass into a loaf and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes, with foil loosely covering the top so it didn't get too brown. I sliced it up and we ate it as a main dish with arugula pesto noodles and salad. Yum, yum, yum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:51 am 

I made the chocolate cream cheese brownies. I don't really like sweet stuff and I never bake, but something about this recipe sucked me in and I happened to have everything in. It was a bid fiddly putting the top layer on but I trusted Dreena about it working and about it seeming undercooked and she was right both times. They're very rich but tasty and I love the bits of salt in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just made the walnut mustard vinaigrette. (It has the honor of being the first thing I made in my new Vitamix! Yay!) I didn't have any walnut oil, so I subbed peanut oil. Other than that, I stuck to the recipe, and it is really good.

(I have a morbid desire to drop my camera and watch...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 am 

I forgot to add but for my 7th recipe for this challenge I made the romescoat sauce. Hate the name but liked the sauce. I had it with pasta and asparagus the first night then thinned it a bit and used it as a sauce on top of quinoa, courgette and cumin chickpeas the second. Used all store cupboard ingredients and was quick and simple.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made wonder bean puree tonight. It was too ugly to photograph. It just looked like greyish-pink refried beans, but it was delicious. I had to put it in my blender because it worked my immersion blender too hard and flipped the breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:54 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
I made wonder bean puree tonight. It was too ugly to photograph. It just looked like greyish-pink refried beans, but it was delicious. I had to put it in my blender because it worked my immersion blender too hard and flipped the breaker.

That is the one recipe I've tried that I didn't like! I think it was too...sweet? If I remember correctly?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.