| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freezing Rice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm 
Semen Strong

So in the Food Safety thread, I learned that rice can have spores of Bacillus Cereus in it, which means you shouldn't keep it in the fridge for longer than a day or so (http://www.gnaana.com/blog/2010/05/bewa ... od-safety/)

But other sites say that you can keep it up to a week: http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=10949

Either way, I am wondering if it would be safe to freeze cooked rice? I have a big batch of congee that I would love to freeze rather than ditch. And after a long bout of tummy troubles, I don't want any more tummy troubles.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Freezing Rice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

I freeze rice all the time. Sometimes it sits in there for a month or two before I get back to it. I have no ill effects to report. Go forth and freeze.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:15 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Rice is one of the few dishes that I have really good luck freezing and re-heating, and I have not had any ill effects either!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've gotten precooked frozen rice from Whole Foods a few times. I sure hope it's fine! And now I'm paranoid about the rice in my fridge...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you freeze it do you reheat it from frozen or defrost it? I'd assume defrosting it first would allow the bacteria to grow?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

rentaghost wrote:
If you freeze it do you reheat it from frozen or defrost it? I'd assume defrosting it first would allow the bacteria to grow?

Mostly from frozen. At home I haven't got a microwave, so it goes directly from the freezer into a pot on the stove with a splash of water. But if I'm taking it to work, it sits in my lunch bag until noon and then goes in the microwave, so it gets at least partially defrosted and still seems fine.

It's probably important to note that I am in no way an expert on food safety, and all recommendations are based simply on the fact that I have never gotten sick from anything I've done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I both refrigerate and freeze rice regularly and have never had issues, but now I just don't feed the refrigerated stuff to the baby anymore just in case. I still happily eat it, though. I think frozen rice makes really good fried rice - I don't know that the texture of your congee will survive freezing, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yep, I freeze it all the time. In Japan, I used to make a big batch in my rice cooker, then portion it out into small ziplock bags and keep them for quick lunches and dinners (defrosted in the microwave). It's pretty common amongst students and young people who live alone and none of my friends have ever suffered any ill effects from it!
The trick with Japanese rice (and maybe other kinds?) is to seal the container and freeze it while it's still warm. I basically never had anything else in my freezer except ice cubes so I wasn't worried about the rice raising the temp in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:53 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

All of these rice concerns are sort of ironic. The Food Safety thread cautions us not to keep it in the frig more than a day, and then the Artisan Vegan cheese thread is based on a book that talks about culturing rice (as one option) in water in a warm place for several days to make rejuvelac! I wonder how they make sake too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I used to be quite cavalier about it but a rice salad once caused me a week of the severest illness I've ever had - so now I'm scared of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I've also frozen rice! I usually portion it out and freeze single-serve pouches in ziploc bags, but I've also done a whole batch at once. I've also heard that you can spread it out on a cookie sheet and freeze it like that before transferring to a container so that the grains remain mostly separate and it'll be easier to take just what you need.

Also, my family eats rice pretty much daily and we've always left it out for hours before it goes in the fridge and kept it in the fridge for several days. I just find it hard to believe. But I guess I've just been lucky and someday I'll probably get sick and change my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:37 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Jill wrote:
All of these rice concerns are sort of ironic. The Food Safety thread cautions us not to keep it in the frig more than a day, and then the Artisan Vegan cheese thread is based on a book that talks about culturing rice (as one option) in water in a warm place for several days to make rejuvelac! I wonder how they make sake too?

Culturing rice may be safe, but I don't think the Artisan Vegan Cheese recipes have been tested for safety. I don't own the book, so I could be wrong.

Regardless, culturing dry rice at a warm temperature is not the same as storing cooked rice inappropriately.

From what I understand, freezing rice is safe and recommended over storing in the fridge if you can. It doesn't kill the Bacillus cereus organisms, but would prevent them from multiplying in the food. You should freeze rice shortly after cooking, and the frozen rice shouldn't be thawed and kept in the fridge for longer than you would with fresh rice.

The biggest concern would be leftover rice from a restaurant -- you don't know how long it might have been sitting out or kept warm before it was served, so it's not a good idea to keep it for more than a day. Rice you cooked yourself that you are certain was cooked properly and refrigerated within 2 hour after cooking should generally be safe for 3-5 days.

If you want authoritative information on this topic, google searches including site:.gov are usually helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am 
WRETCHED

For 7 or 8 years, I've been cooking large batches of rice and eating the leftovers within 4 or 5 days out of the fridge. I know some people are more paranoid. I've also frozen rice at certain periods of time with good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This post from Just Bento has some useful information about storing and using frozen rice:
http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-bas ... ioned-rice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Am I the only one who thinks that cold rice is kind of yucky and starchy? I don't know about health issues, but I always heard that the best way to prevent rice from becoming gross if you store them, is by freezing and defrosting like this:
http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-bas ... ioned-rice