| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 am 
Smuggling Raisins

this thread made me so excited i went and bought so much junk food!!! more than i've had in my house at once in sooo long. it is worth it!!

i think i will shop there more often though for some staple things that are cheaper than my usual market. and i love the dried fruit options, and all that. and that i can buy frozen sliced leeks? and frozen roasted corn? yes.

i still think of it as a mostly snack food market, but this last trip kinda made me re-think that. it could be a more useful place.

and definitely a place to buy food gift items, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

Where is the fa
ifer wrote:
Went to TJ's tonight and was surprised not to see the soy ice cream (any of it!). So I asked and the lady told me that Trader Joe's was in the process of changing their supplier! I want to cry - no more amazing Soy Cherry Chip or Mango Vanilla!? Oh I hope she was misinformed....

If you have it at your local TJ's I recommend stocking up. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing some last time I was there.

This makes me feel sad. I don't buy those ice creams, but in the last year, they stopped carrying the vanilla version of the mini soy cream sandwiches and the vegan roasted veggie pizza (repackaged Amy's). Grrrr.

I couldn't find the falafel! What stuff is it located near? Maybe our store just doesn't have it. I dislike that some stores have things that others don't.

On a good/bad note, I am a Candy Cane Joe-Joe's virgin no more! Those forkers are good! I see why y'all love them...

boychucker wrote:
Where do they hide the maple cookies? I'm hoping my store just didn't have them yet, but I didn't not see them in the normal cookie stashing location or the end caps. I will check again soon because I want maple cookies dang it.

The Maple cookies were located on an end cap by the registers at my store. They're not new, so your store should have them?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:35 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Honor wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Is it even possible to spend hundreds of dollars at TJs? I get a huge basket of stuff and then they ring me up and it's always around $20 or $30. I'm baffled every time.

Really? I have the opposite of this problem.

I used to buy lots of stuff and walk out for $30, and suddenly it was upwards of $85. No idea.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I finally got to try the maple leaf cookies yesterday. My co-worker and I (mostly me) polished off the whole box.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

appifanie wrote:
Honor wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Is it even possible to spend hundreds of dollars at TJs? I get a huge basket of stuff and then they ring me up and it's always around $20 or $30. I'm baffled every time.

Really? I have the opposite of this problem.

I used to buy lots of stuff and walk out for $30, and suddenly it was upwards of $85. No idea.

I hope that never happens to me. I like how TJ's is the one grocery store that still makes me feel like I'm getting a deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:09 am 
Huffs Nooch

For those looking for the falafel, I went to my store yesterday looking for them and was told that they were taken off the shelf due to a packaging problem. The cashier told me that the packaging problem was that the bag said that there were 12 falafel when there were actually 11. I almost thought he was kidding with me, but uh it seems until this issue is resolved, they won't be in stores. But I was assured they are coming back!

Now, I will have to go back to stock up on chocolate chip cherry soy creamy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:37 am 
Human Gravy

Falafel is really good. Restaurant quality actually, but I was shocked to see how much fat it has... All falafel probably has this much fat and I just never knew because restaurants don't have nutrition labels. Damn you nutrition labels, damn you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Allison, not Alison wrote:
Falafel is really good. Restaurant quality actually, but I was shocked to see how much fat it has... All falafel probably has this much fat and I just never knew because restaurants don't have nutrition labels. Damn you nutrition labels, damn you.

Are you cooking it in the oven or microwave? I thought it was a bit mushy...maybe I just didn't cook it properly?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 pm 
Chard Martyr

Screw you all for recommending Candy Cane Joe Joe's.

Box- gone. I cannot be trusted with them. Whomever said they are like crack/addictive... accurate. This is why I've resisted trying them for the past however many years. THIS IS WHY.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay! I finally went. I stopped myself from getting a bunch of sweets, so no strudel or ice cream. New stuff I snagged: pumpkin butter, gingerbread coffee, pear cinnamon cider, and maple leaf cookies. Those cookies are seriously delicious! I've never had them before. I like them better than Candy Cane Joe Joes. I can't wait to try everything. We also got the staples like olive oil, maple syrup, soyrizo, and vanilla.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

question: do you guys know... is all TJs stuff other brands that are repackaged? Does trader joes make anything or just package and sell stuff?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
question: do you guys know... is all TJs stuff other brands that are repackaged? Does trader joes make anything or just package and sell stuff?

I'm pretty sure that they're mostly repackagers... but they're such an uber-secretive company... I'll hunt for the article that I found on them once. They don't give up their company secrets, which probably includes whether they repackage or make their own stuff. I believe most of it is repackaging, because the family of a friend of mine has a packaging plant and does some work for them (Aldi headquarters is in my town, if I'm not mistaken, and the German family that owns TJ's and Aldi comes here a couple times a year).

But I could be completely wrong. I often am and I don't have trouble admitting that.

Here's the article. It talks about the social psychology behind why TJ's works, and discusses how they are able to produce quality food (repackaged or by way of cheaper sources than other stores) for a cheaper price: http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news/co ... ex.htm#joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tzippy wrote:
boychucker wrote:
Where do they hide the maple cookies? I'm hoping my store just didn't have them yet, but I didn't not see them in the normal cookie stashing location or the end caps. I will check again soon because I want maple cookies dang it.

At the Trader Joe's in Nashville, they were on the shelves above the freezer section.

Thanks. I found them today, got two boxes. I'm not sure the first one will survive the night. I dunked them in almond milk, so good!

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:11 pm 
Human Gravy

ifer wrote:

Are you cooking it in the oven or microwave? I thought it was a bit mushy...maybe I just didn't cook it properly?

I don't own a microwave, so did the oven. I cooked them at the same time as my tots, so I wrapped them in foil and baked them at 425 for about 10-15 minutes (until they were soft) then opened the foil and popped them back in for another 3 or 5. They were crispy and delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 pm 
Human Gravy

Meggs wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they're mostly repackagers... but they're such an uber-secretive company... I'll hunt for the article that I found on them once. They don't give up their company secrets, which probably includes whether they repackage or make their own stuff. I believe most of it is repackaging, because the family of a friend of mine has a packaging plant and does some work for them (Aldi headquarters is in my town, if I'm not mistaken, and the German family that owns TJ's and Aldi comes here a couple times a year).

But I could be completely wrong. I often am and I don't have trouble admitting that.

Here's the article. It talks about the social psychology behind why TJ's works, and discusses how they are able to produce quality food (repackaged or by way of cheaper sources than other stores) for a cheaper price: http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news/co ... ex.htm#joe

I am pretty sure the yogurt is repackaged Whole Soy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:09 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ifer wrote:

I don't own a microwave, so did the oven. I cooked them at the same time as my tots, so I wrapped them in foil and baked them at 425 for about 10-15 minutes (until they were soft) then opened the foil and popped them back in for another 3 or 5. They were crispy and delicious.

Ooh, thank you! I followed the instructions on the package which said 15 minutes at 325 on a cookie sheet and they came out warm and mushy. I'll definitely try the higher temp and foil method next time!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ifer wrote:
I want to cry - no more amazing Soy Cherry Chip or Mango Vanilla!? Oh I hope she was misinformed....

This is maybe the saddest thing I've ever heard! The Cherry Chip is my favorite.

I think I am the only person alive who doesn't like the maple cookies. More for you!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 am 
Chard Martyr

Do you guys know if TJ's sells premade vegan pie crusts? I'm making dinner for my roommate tonight and thinking about making Dreena's chickpea tart and, for cost/time reasons, I'm hoping to only have to go to TJ's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

fatcat wrote:
I finally got to try the maple leaf cookies yesterday. My co-worker and I (mostly me) polished off the whole box.

the top of my TJs list says

NO COOKIES

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vijita wrote:
Do you guys know if TJ's sells premade vegan pie crusts? I'm making dinner for my roommate tonight and thinking about making Dreena's chickpea tart and, for cost/time reasons, I'm hoping to only have to go to TJ's.

I've never seen one. But I've found a really easy, decent, no roll crust here if that helps. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-roll-pie-crust-i/Detail.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My Trader Joes is small and craptastic. I have never been able to find any of these delicious sounding things. They really don't have much...not even worth the 15 minute drive, sadly. Sounds like some Trader Joes have some awesome stuff!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

appifanie wrote:
the top of my TJs list says

NO COOKIES

Thank you for the suggestion. Rather, I'm taking this idea and suggesting to myself that I implement it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

vijita wrote:

I'm about 87% sure that their frozen pre-made pie crust is vegan. I've never purchased it, but in my mind it's vegan. So I think maybe i read the ingredients just to see, but didn't need it and put it back. Or maybe someone else on the boards mentioned using it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 am 
So Totally Yiffy

You guys!

My trader joes now has tj-brand refrigerated half-gallon almond milk (unsweetened vanilla, and original) for 2.99! I knew it was only a matter of time! No more wasteful quart sized aseptic boxes/expensive half gallons from other stores. I am happy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:32 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Lachesis wrote:
My Trader Joes is small and craptastic. I have never been able to find any of these delicious sounding things. They really don't have much...not even worth the 15 minute drive, sadly. Sounds like some Trader Joes have some awesome stuff!

Mine doesn't have too, too much. I keep picking things up in excitement, then reading the ingredients and being annoyed by unnecessary milk and eggs. I can't complain much because I have cookies and muffins, but it seems like the west coast has more awesomeness.

Glad you wandered over to the new boards, Lachesis!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 113  Next