| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2884 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
Has nobody mentioned the mother forking huge pound plus dark chocolate bars? There's one with almonds and one without. There might be one with peanuts that is vegan, but I can't remember because I don't like whole peanuts with my chocolate, just peanut butter, thank you very much.

I buy the huge asparagus pound bars for baking! Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy them for Christmas baking!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I made a run the other day. I hadn't been in at least 6 months. All the Trader Joe's in Chicago are in weird locations from me.

I must have gotten a bad box of Candy Cane Joe-Joe's last year, because they're so much better this time around. I wasn't impressed with the Maple Cookies. The cookie part is good, but the filling is cloyingly sweet. Spicy hummus was pretty good, and I bought a pack of everything bagels that were tasty as well as a bunch of other stuff i haven't gotten around to yet.

The one thing I was really disappointed in was the White Bean hummus. It tasted good, but I forgot to double check the ingredients and accidentally bought the non-vegan one. D'oh! I didn't realize there were two until I reread the thread.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

10 pages in this thread and nobody has mentioned the Roasted Seaweed Snack?

I love those things...they sell em at other stores for at least twice as much. i had a sample at whole foods a while back that tasted EXACTLY the same for $2.99 a package (on sale!)

TJ's = $.99. everyday.

my cat likes them too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I just did a TJ's run for the holidays - salt dusted dark chocolate covered almonds, vegan after eights, lots of olive oil, the 17 bean and barley mix, frozen roasted corn (turns out so good in cornbread), raw cashews, tons of coffee (try their gingerbread holiday coffee - so good!), fire roasted tomatos and ...

Vegan breadcrumbs! For whatever reason, the breadcrumbs (Progressoe etc) all have whey in them, so even though these are pricier, we're happy to find them. Otherwise we've gone to Kosher Konnection, where their breadcrumbs have no whey, presumably so they can be used with meat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

RandiJM wrote:
keen_on_quinoa wrote:
Has nobody mentioned the mother forking huge pound plus dark chocolate bars? There's one with almonds and one without. There might be one with peanuts that is vegan, but I can't remember because I don't like whole peanuts with my chocolate, just peanut butter, thank you very much.

I buy the huge asparagus pound bars for baking! Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy them for Christmas baking!

I bake almost exclusively with these bars too! I really like the irregular chunks of hand cut bars and the quality is much better than any reasonably priced chips I've had. They always are flavorful and creamy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

Tofulish wrote:
salt dusted dark chocolate covered almonds.

Those sound so good. So. Good.
Like I want to go buy them and curl up by my fireplace in a snowstorm with them good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

Meggs wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Like I want to go buy them and curl up by my fireplace in a snowstorm with them good.

They really are amazing. I can't buy them bc I finish in one go.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I almost didn't find the rocky road squares, but then I told my sister I was looking for them and she saw them right away. They're really good but I can't be trusted around them. I'm going to try to hide them from myself so I can sneak them into the movies.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Why are joe joe's listed as only vegetarian options at Trade Joe's? I've read the package and it looks vegan to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I love 'em and just bought some this weekend. But that is one thing that has bothered me for some time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

PorshaJo wrote:
Why are joe joe's listed as only vegetarian options at Trade Joe's? I've read the package and it looks vegan to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I love 'em and just bought some this weekend. But that is one thing that has bothered me for some time.

Probably because they're made on the same line as something with milk, and they don't want to call something "vegan" unless it's super purely not near dairy at all. I cannot confirm this because I don't have a box at hand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm 
Semen Strong

RandiJM wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

They really are amazing. I can't buy them bc I finish in one go.

My partner puts them on a high shelf. And then I burn calories trying to find things to climb on. True facts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Meggs wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:

Probably because they're made on the same line as something with milk, and they don't want to call something "vegan" unless it's super purely not near dairy at all. I cannot confirm this because I don't have a box at hand.

I know a vegan who won't eat them because she doesn't know how they refine the sugar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

molly wrote:
Meggs wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:

I know a vegan who won't eat them because she doesn't know how they refine the sugar.

That's what I was thinking. I had an issue with my oatmeal because of the Vitamin D3, but something tells me Joe Joe's aren't fortified.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

molly wrote:
Meggs wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:

OK - I can understand that about the sugar. I didn't even think about that one. I'm guessing it is probably cheaper to purchase "non-vegan" sugar but on a label it would never be indicated.

I was thinking it was due to the processing on same like as milk there might be some contamination and that is why it was labeled as non vegan. I'm so hooked on them and I still eat them. But Trader Joe's is about 1 hour from me so I don't get them often.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:08 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Trader Joe's has stopped carrying the vegan soy nuggets. They now only have the vegetarian chickenless nuggets.

My heart, she is broken!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

jenstiles wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:
I don't like their soy nuggets. There. I said it. I'm super disappointed because I'm a TJ's-a-holic, but I didn't care for the taste or texture at all, even doused in BBQ sauce. Sad.

i couldn't get my toddler to eat them, so i was stuck having to. i coated them in sriracha just to get them down.

I bought a box many years ago and was very disappointed. I would have choked them down drenched in massive amounts of mustard, chili garlic sauce, marinara, or something, but fortunately my omni roommate liked them. I was shocked and sort of horrified that she liked them, but happy that they went to a good home!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PorshaJo wrote:
molly wrote:
Meggs wrote:

OK - I can understand that about the sugar. I didn't even think about that one. I'm guessing it is probably cheaper to purchase "non-vegan" sugar but on a label it would never be indicated.

I was thinking it was due to the processing on same like as milk there might be some contamination and that is why it was labeled as non vegan. I'm so hooked on them and I still eat them. But Trader Joe's is about 1 hour from me so I don't get them often.

Someone (who is vegan) told me yesterday that regular joe joes are vegan but the candy cane ones not... but couldn't say what it was that made them not vegan. He said it doesn't say on the package, you have to contact the company. I think (hope) he was just forking with me but kinda want to get to the bottom of this? It sounds pretty sketch, not to mention every vegan I know consumes large amounts of candy cane joe joes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

[quote="Louzilla]
Someone (who is vegan) told me yesterday that regular joe joes are vegan but the candy cane ones not... but couldn't say what it was that made them not vegan. He said it doesn't say on the package, you have to contact the company. I think (hope) he was just forking with me but kinda want to get to the bottom of this? It sounds pretty sketch, not to mention every vegan I know consumes large amounts of candy cane joe joes.[/quote]

Blasphemy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:14 am 
Chard Martyr

PorshaJo wrote:
Does it say something about allergens on the box? That could be a clue.
Louzilla wrote:
Someone (who is vegan) told me yesterday that regular joe joes are vegan but the candy cane ones not... but couldn't say what it was that made them not vegan. He said it doesn't say on the package, you have to contact the company. I think (hope) he was just forking with me but kinda want to get to the bottom of this? It sounds pretty sketch, not to mention every vegan I know consumes large amounts of candy cane joe joes.
So is someone going to call about this or is everyone going to live in ignorant bliss? My TJ's is sold out and I've already decided to never buy them again because I can't control myself around them, so it doesn't really matter to me, except that I might send them in care packages to PPKers. Does anyone else have a Woodman's near them? I saw some Candy Cane Sandwich Cookies there that looked like Joe Joe's and they appeared to be vegan.
Tofulish wrote:
My partner puts them on a high shelf. And then I burn calories trying to find things to climb on. True facts.

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, I'd have to put them on my own high shelves and then climb on things, and that's just too much effort for me. I need a partner in almond calorie burning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have to pick up a few things today, and I actually went through this thread to amend my shopping list, which has grown from 3 things to about 15.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

designedtobekind wrote:
I have to pick up a few things today, and I actually went through this thread to amend my shopping list, which has grown from 3 things to about 15.

I did that too! It's a bad/awesome idea to get your shopping list from the internet. We'll see how I can make candy cane joe-joe's, extra firm tofu, and a chocolate orange into a respectable meal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 pm 
ugh

Meggs wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:
Does it say something about allergens on the box? That could be a clue.
Louzilla wrote:
So is someone going to call about this or is everyone going to live in ignorant bliss? My TJ's is sold out and I've already decided to never buy them again because I can't control myself around them, so it doesn't really matter to me, except that I might send them in care packages to PPKers. Does anyone else have a Woodman's near them? I saw some Candy Cane Sandwich Cookies there that looked like Joe Joe's and they appeared to be vegan.
Tofulish wrote:

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, I'd have to put them on my own high shelves and then climb on things, and that's just too much effort for me. I need a partner in almond calorie burning.

One of the ingredients is "natural flavors." Maybe that's it?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
WRETCHED

designedtobekind wrote:

FYI - Our Trader Joe's is out of Candy Cane Jo Jos. They did have chocolate oranges though when I went.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

linanil wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:

FYI - Our Trader Joe's is out of Candy Cane Jo Jos. They did have chocolate oranges though when I went.

I checked 2 TJs and my mom and aunt each separately checked another 2. All said out and done for the season.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Man, there is a huge pyramid of Peppermint Jo-jos as soon as you walk into my TJs. Sorry you guys have already run out, that just doesn't seem right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2884 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 116  Next