| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ah, but also it looks like the TJ's serving size is bigger (148 grams vs. Gardein's 76 grams, sans sauce).

I don't know, I'd just assume they're pretty similar as far as that stuff goes. But I also just have it as a treat- because I also use a generous amount of oil so it's nice and crispy!- so admittedly I'm not sweating the nutritional content too much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Amy wrote:
Ah, but also it looks like the TJ's serving size is bigger (148 grams vs. Gardein's 76 grams, sans sauce).

I don't like the refrigerated Gardein or TJ's stuff, just the frozen. And a quick comparison (based on memory going from New Seaons to TJ's) looks like Gardein and TJ's frozen Chickenless Tenders and the Mandarin Orange chicken are almost (if not) identical, down to the ancient grains too. It is the serving size that is different. On the Chickenless Tenders, the same size package says it has 5 Gardein servings vs. 3 for TJ's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Quarantined wrote:
I recently saw the chocolate covered banana slices for the first time in the freezer section, they're called Gone Bananas I think. Anyway googling tells me these aren't new but I guess I just never noticed them- I was interested because I saw that Dole has a similar product and was going to look for them in a regular grocery but I'll definitely try these instead. Anyone ever tried them?

ETA: oh doh, I see linanil already mentioned these waaaay back in this thread (page 26 to be exact)

Yes. I bought them and loved them. Of course. It's chocolate covered banana, but with a way better ration of chocolate to banana than if you dip half a banana in chocolate! Two of us ate the whole package in one night. I don't want to know how many servings a package is supposed to have. They are a great frozen treat on hot day!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Jill wrote:
Amy wrote:

I don't like the refrigerated Gardein or TJ's stuff, just the frozen. And a quick comparison (based on memory going from New Seaons to TJ's) looks like Gardein and TJ's frozen Chickenless Tenders and the Mandarin Orange chicken are almost (if not) identical, down to the ancient grains too. It is the serving size that is different. On the Chickenless Tenders, the same size package says it has 5 Gardein servings vs. 3 for TJ's.

I am just amazed that anyone can get multiple servings out of that bag. Even extending it with a lot of broccoli, I still have a hard time not eating all of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Jill wrote:
Amy wrote:

I am just amazed that anyone can get multiple servings out of that bag. Even extending it with a lot of broccoli, I still have a hard time not eating all of it.

Yep, it's a one serving bag for me. When I split a bag with my partner the other night, neither of us were satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish and couroupita, that was my first thought! (But they're both only one serving, right?!)

Pretty random, but I live TJ's cornichons. I sing to them like the chef in The Little Mermaid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

missmuffcake wrote:
When I was in TJs yesterday I looked at the chicken bits, I see they changed the recipe - took out the ancient grains or so my my blurry eyesight lead me to believe . However comparing them to Gardein - the Gardein wins out on healthy factor: lower fat, lower cal, lower sugar (TJs - 17g, Gardein - 1g)...I will stick to the Gardein!

I just bought a package today and the ingredients still list ancient grains.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
Pretty random, but I live TJ's cornichons. I sing to them like the chef in The Little Mermaid.

There's no TJ's where I live (sadface) but my parents pretty much always have these in their fridge, and whenever I stay with them I pretty much always eat about half the jar over the course of my visit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:55 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tzippy wrote:

I just bought a package today and the ingredients still list ancient grains.

odd, i will look again. i swear it was not on there last time.

ohh & i need to make a lot of rice to serve with the package, it is pretty small ammount even after a few cups of veggies & doctored up sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had the breaded tenders for a late night, super easy dinner after a long day tonight, and they hit the spot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

lilyyw wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

There's no TJ's where I live (sadface) but my parents pretty much always have these in their fridge, and whenever I stay with them I pretty much always eat about half the jar over the course of my visit.

Cornichons were not on my radar, but are going on my shopping list asap. I almost never buy pickles, because when I do I can't stop eating them! Oh well, worth it sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone tried their coconut water yet? I've really only tried the 365 brand and detested it. I'm cautiously optimistic that Trader Joe's brand will be better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:56 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ndpittman wrote:

<3<3<3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This summer I have gotten bad tofu from trader joe's a couple of times. Blah, I even ate a piece. It was not expired.

Also got bad Wildwood super firm tofu from Sprouts (I am pretty sure it is the same stuff)

what the hell? I have NEVER gotten bad tofu in all my years of eating it.

Bad tofu, no soy yogurt. (and my garden is terribly) This is a shitty summer for vegans. I have been eating terribly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:06 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh, chicki, come on over! I've got a wack load of tofu in the fridge from when I loaded up when it was on sale, I make soy yogurt once a week, and my garden is this best this year it's ever been in my entire life. I have so much to share.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

tofucheez wrote:
Oh, chicki, come on over! I've got a wack load of tofu in the fridge from when I loaded up when it was on sale, I make soy yogurt once a week, and my garden is this best this year it's ever been in my entire life. I have so much to share.

I should. You are like bizarro Chicki, where everything is good (food wise).

I got another bad package of tofu last night from TJs. What the fork.

And huge scary caterpillars eating my garden!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Chicki wrote:
tofucheez wrote:

I should. You are like bizarro Chicki, where everything is good (food wise).

That's hilarious, I love that show. I can't believe my garden. I just picked 23 cucumbers and 18 HUGE zucchini and a bunch of tomatoes.

Bizarro Chicki should be my sub-nick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Hoo those cornichons are garlicky mustards. I like them though.

And why the heck have I been paying $4 for Nasoya super-firm tofu at WF when the TJ's one is like $2.50? I'm a fool. But I have cheap tofu now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

beethecookie wrote:
Has anyone tried their coconut water yet? I've really only tried the 365 brand and detested it. I'm cautiously optimistic that Trader Joe's brand will be better.

Bought it, and all I can say is "meh." It's fine, perfectly drinkable, but has almost no flavor. Think of water that might have once been used to wash a coconut and picked up just a whiff of that essence. Pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 am 
Nailed to the V

BitterSweet wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

Bought it, and all I can say is "meh." It's fine, perfectly drinkable, but has almost no flavor. Think of water that might have once been used to wash a coconut and picked up just a whiff of that essence. Pretty disappointing.

Hmm. Ok. Well, I think I'll use it as a smoothie addition, so it won't be a total waste. Flavorless electrolytes, yay!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

BitterSweet wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

I know this is silly, but......try it fresh from a young coconut! Seriously, so good and a world of difference. I drink the can ones now and then (and actually prefer the roasted young coconut juice cans at the Asian markets that contain added sugar, woops) but the legit stuff is well, legit. Some many of the natural canned and packaged ones are meh. For sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My Trader Joe's has started carrying their own vegan cream cheese again. Anyone know the source? We have it at home but I haven't tried it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ndpittman wrote:

I think that is now in my head forever. Hee hee hee, haw haw haw!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jdfunks wrote:
My Trader Joe's has started carrying their own vegan cream cheese again. Anyone know the source? We have it at home but I haven't tried it yet.

It's still the Go Veggie (formerly Galaxy) brand. I compared the ingredients the other day. I never noticed that they had stopped carrying vegan cream cheese, though, only that the packaging had changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:21 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

jdfunks wrote:

I don't think it's very good when it's just straight up, but I like it WITH things (a favorite breakfast of mine is one of the TJ's sprouted wheat bagels with the cream cheese and sliced tomato and salt).

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 116  Next