| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
My husband bought their new Quinoa Teriyaki Sushi, and he was really underwhelmed. He said TJ's is not the place to go if you want vegan sushi, but that this particular flavor was just not good. It looked kinda unappetizing, too. Such a shame.

I may be mistaken but I don't think TJ's makes any of their "convenience" lunch/dinner to-go foods in-house.
I mean when I go to the grocery store I see the sushi guy making sushi, never seen anyone preparing sushi, sandwiches, or otherwise at TJ's.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Audrey wrote:
Gluten-free JoeJoes: does anyone know if they're vegan? Bf accidentally bought those instead of the regs for a cookie crust we're making and if they're not vegan I need to go replace them today. In theory they should be vegan but I've seen so many gf baked goods that have egg in em.

I saw a review that included a photo of the box. They contain egg whites, and may contain traces of milk. . .unfortunately not vegan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
My husband bought their new Quinoa Teriyaki Sushi, and he was really underwhelmed. He said TJ's is not the place to go if you want vegan sushi, but that this particular flavor was just not good. It looked kinda unappetizing, too. Such a shame.

I may be mistaken but I don't think TJ's makes any of their "convenience" lunch/dinner to-go foods in-house.
I mean when I go to the grocery store I see the sushi guy making sushi, never seen anyone preparing sushi, sandwiches, or otherwise at TJ's.

Yeah, I think the lack of freshness has a lot to do with it. Another local grocery chain makes him some killer vegan sushi, and they do it in-house.

On another note, I finally found the Cafe Twists! They are, indeed, life-changing. My kids and I are hooked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

zinnia wrote:
Today's finds: pumpkin spice coffee, organic canned pumpkin ($1.99), and vacuum packed sundried tomatoes (3 oz., $1.99). No Tofutti, but they did have the TJs brand vegan cream cheese, which is new to me. I haven't tried it yet, but the ingredient list is very different from Tofutti.

That cream cheese is my favorite, hands down. The consistency is perfect and i love the taste. I went in there once and there was none on the shelf, no shelf marker, I started to panic. It's back now though, whew.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

dang i was at TJ's the other day and didn't even browse the cream cheese stuff. does the TJ brand of cream cheese contain partially hydrogenated oils and junk?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bookwormbethie wrote:
dang i was at TJ's the other day and didn't even browse the cream cheese stuff. does the TJ brand of cream cheese contain partially hydrogenated oils and junk?

Nope

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

is the pumpkin spice coffee vegan? i know SB has via instant pumpkin but the first ingredient is sugar....not really what i like in my black coffee.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:27 am 

Trader Joe's has vegan pumpkin body butter - cannot eat it (duh!) but it is nice and smells yummy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
Trader Joe's has vegan pumpkin body butter - cannot eat it (duh!) but it is nice and smells yummy!

sounds good- I may check that out.

I wonder if they're gonna have the Turkey-less Roast again this year. I quite liked it, I may just do that for Thanksgiving this year instead of making something from scratch.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

missmuffcake wrote:
is the pumpkin spice coffee vegan? i know SB has via instant pumpkin but the first ingredient is sugar....not really what i like in my black coffee.

Yes. The ingredients are: coffee, orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground vanilla bean and pumpkin spice oil.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I got the TJ's kimchi recently, the refrigerated kind.

it was ok but a little boring. It did however motivate me to make my OWN kimchi for the first time :) it is now fermenting in my fridge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

What is their turkey-less roast like? I've never seen it...like the Field Roast one? I still miss Miyoko's UnTurkey (I've made it myself before, but, you know)...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It's more similar to the Gardein, at least it was last year. We really liked it. A lot of people here hated it though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron

zinnia wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Yes. The ingredients are: coffee, orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground vanilla bean and pumpkin spice oil.

Is it GOOD? I think I tried to buy it last year but it was sold out. I'm hoping- with a PPK recommendation to back it, of course- that I can pick it up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I liked it, Amy. I don't drink flavored coffees often, but this was nice for a change.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

zinnia wrote:
I liked it, Amy. I don't drink flavored coffees often, but this was nice for a change.

Thanks! I'll try it. It's too hard to resist something pumpkin and coffee anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The coconut cashews are SO good. They taste familiar, like some kind of buttery shortbread cookie or something. Delicious. The tofu spring rolls with peanut sauce are pretty good; that's one of my favorite meals so I'd definitely pick them up again if I were craving it.

And the pumpkin dog treats are beagle-approved!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:48 pm 

the coffee was okay, i did not notice a lot of flavor pay off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I tried the pumpkin body butter- yep, feels good and smells good.

karichelle wrote:
It's more similar to the Gardein, at least it was last year. We really liked it. A lot of people here hated it though.

yeah the Turkeyless-Roast has the texture of refrigerated Gardein- a bit mushy, but I thought it was tasty. I know last year some people were discussing trying to get it to bake with a crispier skin. I may try that if they have it again this year.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

tofucheez wrote:
What is their turkey-less roast like? I've never seen it...like the Field Roast one? I still miss Miyoko's UnTurkey (I've made it myself before, but, you know)...

Definitely not like field roast and nothing like the Gardein labeled roast which is yummy. It was one of the grossest things I've ever tasted. I ended up buying 2, eating half of one, throwing the rest out as well as throwing the other one away. I hate to waste food and my husband is usually willing to eat things I'm not. He wasn't willing to eat anymore of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Quarantined wrote:
karichelle wrote:

yeah the Turkeyless-Roast has the texture of refrigerated Gardein- a bit mushy, but I thought it was tasty. I know last year some people were discussing trying to get it to bake with a crispier skin. I may try that if they have it again this year.
Yes, I remember this raging controversy from last year! We had the TJ's roasts a few times last year and really liked them; I thought it was better (and much less salty) than the Tofurky roast, and my kids gobbled it right up, if you'll excuse the pun. That said, I definitely doctored it a bit before and/or during baking (in ways I cannot now recall, but will doubtless do again), and I'm pretty sure it took longer to cook than the package directions indicated. I find it a good option for nights I'm not feeling too ambitious - just pop it in the oven, mash some potatoes, sauté some carrots and/or green beans while it's baking, et voila!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am 
WRETCHED

I didn't do heavy doctoring but did cook it longer than indicated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

When does the roast usually start coming in stores? I don't live near a TJs, but will make a trip for this. Maybe put some Yuba skin on it to make it all fancy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Target has 40 oz. gardein stuffed roasts on sale for $10.99 now. Sorry for the thread hijack, but thought this might interest those of you who were discussing the TJs roasts. I've never had them before, but bought one to try.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:08 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

zinnia wrote:
Target has 40 oz. gardein stuffed roasts on sale for $10.99 now. Sorry for the thread hijack, but thought this might interest those of you who were discussing the TJs roasts. I've never had them before, but bought one to try.
Oooh...enticing.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 115  Next