| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I emailed TJ's about the soyrizo. This is what they said:

Quote:
Hi pastabake,

The Soy Chorizo is undergoing a review (we periodically choose items at random to verify existing nutritional info, etc), and will return. We have yet to be given a definitive date and do appreciate your continued patience.

I miss this one, too!

Regards,

Kerry
Customer Relations

So sounds like it'll be back! Phew. My scrambles are getting lonely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i bought another brand of soyrizo last week - they boyfriend hated it. tj's better hurry up!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

hooray, that's good news! thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Yay! I am so relieved; I love the TJ's soyrizo much more than other kinds.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:57 pm 

oddspongeout wrote:
Meatless Turkey-Style roasts in my freezer, ready for Thanksgiving! They look SO good for faux turkey. Not all gelatinous like Tofurky roasts. I'm not sure if I'll sample a roast now, or hold out on one for Christmas. Hmmm. Such yummy decisions.

At my store, they replaced the meatless meatballs, which is a huge bummer. I hope it's only for the holiday season, because I freaking love those!

I tried one of mine. It was really tasty! I cooked it in the toaster oven and it was delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

oddspongeout wrote:
At my store, they replaced the meatless meatballs, which is a huge bummer. I hope it's only for the holiday season, because I freaking love those!

I thought this happened at mine, but then I dug around in the meatless section and they were still there, just buried - it looks like they're not giving that stuff any more freezer space, so with the new little turkey thingies plus the usual tenders, mandarin bites, etc. it was kind of a jumble. So maybe dig around?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:14 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hmmm, I wonder if they are pulling some of their soy meat products because of GMOs. It's definitely making me want to make everything from scratch.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

oddspongeout wrote:

Noooooo! They are not allowed to discontinue these! They are yummy and my omni spouse loves them too. Sure, I could make my own delicious meatless balls, but I already make a lot of things from scratch, including my own seitan, and it's nice to have this convenience item that we both enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I went to trader joe's friday night and my store was out of the shelf stable tofu. I wish I had known last time I was there! I would have bought so many. Sigh.

I bought a package of those frozen mini stuffed turkeyless roast guys - I'm thinking they might be a good early December quick dinner. Other things that were out and new from last time I was there - those fried onion things for green bean casserole! I bought a container for thanksgiving because I was afraid they'd be out next time I went. Also, in the refrigerated section there were prepared and packaged chestnuts! I bought two packages to make that squash, chestnut, onion, white bean casserole from veganomicon. They were ok - nowhere near as good as home roasted fresh, but the time they saved me was worth the slight loss in deliciousness (I HATE peeling chestnuts). Also, candy cane joe joes! Finally.

I also got a jar of that thai paste a while ago, and am now at a little bit of a loss as to what to do with it as well. Oh & those coconut cashews. I bought a bag a few visits back because of this thread and buy one every time now. They are so good, and such bad news.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 am 
Saggy Butt

heatherkelly wrote:
Other things that were out and new from last time I was there - those fried onion things for green bean casserole! I bought a container for thanksgiving because I was afraid they'd be out next time I went.

Oh & those coconut cashews. I bought a bag a few visits back because of this thread and buy one every time now. They are so good, and such bad news.

Those fried onions are awesome. I bought them last year and we put them on salad and my husband was seriously addicted. We found out the hard way they were a seasonal item. So this year when I told him they were back he had me buy a ton of these. We never had them on a green bean casserole, just salads.

I too just picked up those coconut cashews. I also grabbed two boxes of the harvest tea since its a seasonal item also. Though I wonder if I would get hooked on some items if they were available year round?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Does anyone know what the deal is with the falafel wrap? It's on the vegan guide online but the packaging says vegetarian. Nothing jumped out at me when I quickly glanced at ingredients. Not that I don't love the hummus wrap, but another option would be cool. I've emailed TJ's and will post a response unless someone chimes in first.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

gaia13 wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the falafel wrap? It's on the vegan guide online but the packaging says vegetarian. Nothing jumped out at me when I quickly glanced at ingredients. Not that I don't love the hummus wrap, but another option would be cool. I've emailed TJ's and will post a response unless someone chimes in first.

I ate it once a couple months ago because it appeared vegan and I was hungry but it was terrible. So bad that I didn't take more than three bites. Blech! The falafels were really dry and the sauce wasn't that great. If they confirm it is vegan I wouldn't buy it again.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

It's time for the Cany Cane Joe-Joe's and I could not be more excited...

:D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

gaia13 wrote:

I notice this with a lot of stuff from TJ's and it's frustrating. Before I knew they explicitly label their vegan stuff, I bought and freaking LOVED their cinnamon rolls in a can. Also, some non-dairy chocolate bars are labeled vegan, and virtually identical ones in different packaging are not. I seriously don't get it. I'm beginning to suspect they only put the "V" on products that aren't made in shared facilities, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

gaia13 wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the falafel wrap? It's on the vegan guide online but the packaging says vegetarian.

how odd - it has a V for vegan on the packaging here. it is okay - but dry...i am not really into cold falafel so i usually grab another wrap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 am 
Tofu Pup

About the Tofurky roasts, since I did not read this PRIOR to buying (May have to hit TJ's next year- I'm avoiding ours for now...horrible construction around it/too aggravating and life threatening to pop in)--would the chickpea gravy from Appetite for reduction (have never made) be a good taste with them???I'm worried about the thought of gelatinous texture but could just smother in gravy...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 am 

I think some of the V has to do with sugar. If they don't know the source they won't put a V on it. I think this is what knocks out things like the cinnamon rolls. I'm not sure about the shared facility thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I grabbed some of the truffle salt today on a trip to TJ's today. Oh man, that stuff is awesome. I put it on my tofu scramble, and it was sooooooo good. Can't wait to put it on more stuff!

Also grabbed the turkey less roast. I usually do tofurkey if I am too lazy to make my own, so I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm 
WRETCHED

My advice would be to have a backup plan if you go with the unturkey roast and no I don't think gravy helps them in any way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
gaia13 wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the falafel wrap? It's on the vegan guide online but the packaging says vegetarian.

how odd - it has a V for vegan on the packaging here. it is okay - but dry...i am not really into cold falafel so i usually grab another wrap.

Ugh, yeah, those are awful. I bought one once for a lunch and had to force myself to eat it because I knew I'd be sick by the end of the day if I didn't eat lunch (I have no options to duck out for lunch when at work), but it was so dry and the texture was so yuck and the flavor was so dull and the sauce did not do NEARLY enough to salvage it. I wouldn't buy it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
My advice would be to have a backup plan if you go with the unturkey roast and no I don't think gravy helps them in any way.

Was it THAT BAD??? Now I'm skurred. I actually really really like tofurkey.

Backup burrito time I guess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
linanil wrote:

Was it THAT BAD??? Now I'm skurred. I actually really really like tofurkey.

Backup burrito time I guess

I love tofurkey and it is nothing like it. I think the people that liked it last year did a lot of doctoring to it to make it edible. I bought 2 and ended up throwing the second one away because I really couldn't imagine a way to make it good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 pm 
Cranky

It wasn't bad! I had one last year and I bought another this year. I prefer stuff made from scratch, but I didn't think it was any worse than Tofurky.

You might actually like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

We loved it. I followed the directions on the package that involved using potatoes and carrots under the roast. I baked it in my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker, which is basically just a huge stoneware casserole dish with a lid. If memory serves, the directions that involved putting veggies under it had a different cooking time and temp than the "regular" instructions. Maybe this was a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Dr. Apricot wrote:
It wasn't bad! I had one last year and I bought another this year. I prefer stuff made from scratch, but I didn't think it was any worse than Tofurky.

You might actually like it.
Yeah, we've had this conversation before (maybe even in this thread), and the consensus seems to be no consensus: some people like them, some people hate them, and some fall somewhere in between. I'm in the "like and prefer them to Tofurky" camp, and have taken to stockpiling a few when they're available because A. my kids love them, and B. they make a good lazyish night dinner with some potatoes or rice and a vegetable or two on the side. My advice would be to cook one ahead and see what you think. As for the gravy question, the roasts come with a packet of gravy which is fine, but is far too meager a quantity for a family of gravy-gluttons like mine, so I make my own and add the packaged stuff to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 121  Next