| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Nogs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Chip Strong

It's that time of year. I am (re)sampling all available nogs this year -- I picked up the Califia almond nog, Silk soy nog and So delicious coconog. The almond was a new one for me.

What's your favorite? Any new developments out there in vegan nog technology?

Post subject: Re: The Nogs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm thinking about making my own nogs this year. Pumpkin nog is an idea that has been floating around my brain for some time. Banana nog seems like it might work too. I'd also like to try making a nog with The Vegg. I'll report back after I make some. I probably won't buy any this year unless something remarkable and new and exciting jumps out and grabs me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i got the so delicious nog and pumkin this year, and they were especially cloyingly sweet. they've been in the fridge for like 3 weeks already. :-/ this would not happen with silk nog. (which would disappear in 2 days)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I don't like any of the ones available in stores and am nogless this year.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't like any of them either. RIP Vitasoy Holly Nog.

So Delicious is OKAY. The one made with soy. None of that coconut shiitake in my nog.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've finished off a carton of the Silk nog. I really liked it, but it was a little too sweet for me. I want to get some more, but it's hard to drink it straight. Anyone have any ideas on how to cut it? Maybe in a smoothie or something? Alcohol would probably help too- what do you all put in yours?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 am 

My husband is a fan of alcohol (scotch) in Nog. It grosses me out, personally, as does everything both boozy and creamy.

I just take small sips of straight soy nog, but I hear ya, that stuff is sweet. My husband also drinks it in coffee--maybe that's your jam? As a non-coffee drinker I can't properly comment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:35 am 
Chip Strong

Sometimes I have nog in my tea. It's particularly good in chai.

I wasn't a big fan of the pumpkin spice coconut So Delicious. It was ok, I'm just not going to hoard it like I usually do other nogs.

The Califia almond nog is kind of weird. I didn't totally mind it, but it had an almost minty flavor to it. I'm not sure where that flavor is coming from. The texture was not very smooth - although I almost wonder if it was mistakenly frozen during transport. I shook it up pretty well but it still had some more opaque chunks floating in it. That sounds really gross but it wasn't that bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:28 am 
Smuggling Raisins

The Califia nog is my favorite by far, but it's hard to find here. It's only available at Whole Foods and is frequently out of stock. Mine didn't have any chunks or texture issues, so I think maybe yours had been frozen, beanitarian.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The Silk is my favorite, but I also like the Califia. I don't like the So Delicious. I never drink them plain - I get them to put in my coffee. Pregan, I used to love the Starbucks eggnog lattes, and I think the Silk is an excellent replacement.

Has anyone made Isa's eggnog from the ppk blog? It has avocado in it, which seems weird, but it was actually awesome! And then I overheard someone on the subway talking about "Isa's eggnog" and that is definitely what they meant but I was too scared to talk to them. Missed PPKonnection? In Boston on Dec 6.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 am 

i'll add some unsweetened soymilk to the coconut so delicious ones to make them tolerable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 am 
Chip Strong

Silk Nog is my favorite. Like others have said, the So Delicious Nog is SO SWEET. It's good, but I can't even finish a glass. I think the one time I bought it I ended up using it in like pancakes and french toast for it not to go to waste.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silk Nog is my fave with the Califia running a close second. I hate all of the coconut based nogs in any flavor. I don't like they way it coats your mouth and its kind of sticky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am 
WRETCHED

I'm with Gracai, Silk nog is favorite with Califia being second. Coconut nog just makes me sad.

And I do drink them with some unsweetened soy milk mixed in. Enough to cut the sweetness without limiting the flavor too much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wonder what it is about the coconut nogs that isn't working? I'm not a huge coconut milk fan to begin with, other than in savory dishes. So maybe that is it for me. But it doesn't seem to be very popular in general. And my WF is only selling the So Delicious and Califia brands this year. I had to find an Acme near me for the Silk Nog!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:29 pm 

I've only bought the so delicious coconut nog (yet...?) this year, and I'm into it. It's a little chalky/neeeeeeds to be shaken, but really nice with some bourbon and cinnamon on top. Or in coffee. I will add that I'm super duper into nearly anything coconut and appreciate the thickness and don't drink it straight, so I wouldn't find it as sweet... I want to try a brandy alexander with it, which will def be sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I've also had weird texture problems with the Califia nog. I figure it's just... spices? Overall I'm not a huge fan of nog, and I much prefer chocolate peppermint soymilk as my seasonal warm drink. Unfortunately I hate the So Delicious (any trace of stevia is overpowering to me) and have yet to find the West Soy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:04 pm 

There's stevia in So Delicious?! HoLY. Confounding move, SD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:16 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

vijita wrote:
There's stevia in So Delicious?! HoLY. Confounding move, SD.

In the peppermint chocolate soy milk, yeah. It also has cane sugar. It makes ZERO sense. Stevia is literally the last ingredient and yet it's the only taste in my mouth when I drink that stuff. One or the other, Soy Delicious. One or the other.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm 

That is so weird. Soon we'll have stevia hard cider. (No, I'm not kidding--we actually will.) Shudder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:35 pm 

There's a stevia-sweetened so delicious coconut that's been haunting me at grocery outlet. so cheap, but so don't want it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 pm 

yeah. that's the one erika is talking about (and the one i specifically didn't buy 3 weeks ago.) it's really weird. are people really buying it? surely SD can see how few are selling. (i mean it's at grocery outlet in december for crepe's sake!) i actually looked at the ingredient list this year to see if they've wised up, but no dice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

vijita wrote:
My husband is a fan of alcohol (scotch) in Nog. It grosses me out, personally, as does everything both boozy and creamy.

I just take small sips of straight soy nog, but I hear ya, that stuff is sweet. My husband also drinks it in coffee--maybe that's your jam? As a non-coffee drinker I can't properly comment.

Oh putting it in a coffee is a great idea... I'm mostly a tea drinker, but I do drink the occasional coffee. :)

Dave the Cat wrote:
The Silk is my favorite, but I also like the Califia. I don't like the So Delicious. I never drink them plain - I get them to put in my coffee. Pregan, I used to love the Starbucks eggnog lattes, and I think the Silk is an excellent replacement.

Has anyone made Isa's eggnog from the ppk blog? It has avocado in it, which seems weird, but it was actually awesome! And then I overheard someone on the subway talking about "Isa's eggnog" and that is definitely what they meant but I was too scared to talk to them. Missed PPKonnection? In Boston on Dec 6.

I've made Isa's nog a bunch of times. In the off-season too. It's really good, but doesn't always hit the 'nog spot if that makes any sense?

I'm going to try the Califia nog if I see it otherwise it'll be back to Silk for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm surprised there isn't more love for the So Delicious coconut nog. I brought a carton to Thanksgiving, and it got rave reviews among the omnis. My brother even said he couldn't tell it wasn't the real thing (although I think you'd be hard pressed to say it doesn't have a fair amount of coconut flavor).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:23 pm 
WRETCHED

Well I always thought regular nog was gross, way too thick and filmy. I wasn't down with drinking raw egg mixed with milk.