| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgiving 2014
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:38 am 
Huffs Nooch

It's not quite November yet, but Thanksgiving is only about 5 weeks away! Does anyone have any plans for what you'll be making? There's one thing that is on my menu for sure: Isa's pumpkin pie. I made it for the first time last year and it's the best pumpkin pie I've ever had.

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving 2014
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just came up with my tentative menu, but I can't decide for sure on a main dish. I'm thinking either the tempeh loaf from the Real Food Daily cookbook or something wrapped in puff pasty.

For sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Sweet potatoes (either roasted or mashed with apples), Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots, and probably cranberries and stuffing, because to not have those would be un-American. For dessert - Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie (also Isa's, never made it before, but really looking forward to it now) and maybe something chocolate.

It's all I can think about. I can't wait to eat all of the food.

Edit: I'll also be making cashew cheese to serve with crackers before the meal, along with whatever else we put out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Aw. I'm so torn about the holidays since I live alone now. My family is far away, and now that I don't have a roommate or live near the majority of my close friends, I have to seek out a place to go, if anywhere. Last year was a total disaster. (I went under the guise of a "vegan thanksgiving" and when I got there, not only were they carving a turkey, the hosts didn't even know I'd been invited, and the person who invited me wasn't even there!) I was invited to a real vegan thanksgiving dinner this year, but that was months ago, so I hope it still is a thing.

If so, I can't wait to cook for it. I want to do the seitan roast from the blog (if it's from a cookbook, I don't know which one) for sure. Maybe the Oh She Glows cheeseball.

Last year I made Isa's Dilly Stew, and even though the dinner itself was a bust, I took it to a local bar that's open on T-giving and shared it and everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 am 
Nailed to the V

Since I'm the only vegan in my family, I'm tempted to do the 1/2 hour Thanksgiving thing on the PPK blog. No matter what I do, I think I want chickpea cutlets for my "turkey." They're so yummy and holiday-y. I think I'll take Pumpkin Cheesecake as my pie, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made an inspiration pinterest board last year of all the recipes people talk about a lot or that I've loved.
http://www.pinterest.com/lazysmurf/vega ... g-recipes/

I think this year I might do one of the tofurkey's from Betty Goes Vegan for the main

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My plan this year is to be overly ambitious, swear that i'm going to get enough done the night before that the actual day will be a breeze, fail miserably at that and make myself nuts, and then make too much food! Just like every other year.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i keep it simple! if we can a field roast (harder to find if i am not by a wf) - then we will, if not i will do some sort of tempeh or tofu thing. i know red rice is a thanksging thing so...ya, that is my plan so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm thinking about making this chickpea tart: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-bas ... art-vegan/

Has anyone tried that? Is it thanksgiving-worthy?

I think we will be bouncing between omni Thanksgivings, but I kind of want to do my own small vegan dinner just for us. It will be simple though... probably just rolls, roasted sweet potatoes, whatever main dish I decide on, and something green.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ashley wrote:
I'm thinking about making this chickpea tart: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-bas ... art-vegan/

Has anyone tried that? Is it thanksgiving-worthy?

I think we will be bouncing between omni Thanksgivings, but I kind of want to do my own small vegan dinner just for us. It will be simple though... probably just rolls, roasted sweet potatoes, whatever main dish I decide on, and something green.

I made the chickpea tart a couple of years ago, and it was definitely Thanksgiving-worthy and very tasty. Plus, it freezes well, and so you can either make it ahead of time, or you can make two tarts, use one for Thanksgiving and then freeze one for another holiday get-together, like Christmas if you celebrate it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think all I require to be happy for thanksgiving this year are some garlic and rosemary smashed up Yukon gold potatoes with red lentil gravy (vwav chick pea gravy but with red lentils instead of chick peas) and then Terry's pumpkin flan baked in a perfect crust so it's like a very custardy pie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:24 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

LazySmurf wrote:
I made an inspiration pinterest board last year of all the recipes people talk about a lot or that I've loved.
http://www.pinterest.com/lazysmurf/vega ... g-recipes/

Thanks for doing this--so many great ideas here!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My go-to has been a squash and kale tart from World Vegan Feast and I'm looking forward to making it again. I forget if the recipe is designed this way or I just simplify it, but I make it like a crostada and it's just a flat "pie" on the baking sheet with the edges of the crust folded partway onto the top of the tart. It's hearty enough to eat as the centerpiece to my plate at an omni Thanksgiving and is well liked by others who try it. In fact now I might need to make a "test" tart to tide myself over until Thanksgiving.