| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make My Dinner!!! the cooking game show
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

quite a few of you were around in the heyday of livejournal and vegancooking, so you know what this is about.

for those of you who aren't familiar, here goes. someone who is stumped for dinner posts everything they have in their house that they'd like to use up, and people will reply with suggestions. (we never actually kept track of points. it was just a fun name for the corresponding tag.) one unspoken rule was to try and use a bunch of the ingredients in a single dish. (and of course it wasn't limited to dinner.) that's why i didn't post my list in the "what can i make with this" thread, because that seems like an individual ingredient post, whereas this is anything but.

here's a link to past posts if you'd like to browse
http://vegancooking.livejournal.com/tag ... ame%20show

::edit:: also, i guess since this is a different format than livejournal, and this post will likely get bumped from time to time, make sure you're not replying to someone's old posting. maybe give it a week (or two for people who have squashes and such), and then give priority to the more recent posters.

Last edited by supercarrot on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Make My Dinner!!! the cooking game show
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:18 pm 

ok. my CSA overfloweth, so i'll start.
2 giant celeriac, 2 giant rutabaga, 4 turnips, 3 beets, 2 giant cabbages, 5 onions, 2 heads of garlic, cauliflower, many sweet potatoes, 5 lbs of potatoes, spinach, chard, carrots, 2 heads of radicchio, 6 apples, 3 bananas, 4 pomegranates
spaghetti squash, sugar dumpling squash, bonbon squash, acorn squash, 4 butternuts.
and a pretty well stocked pantry.

beets are too sweet on their own for me, and radicchio too bitter, so i was maybe thinking of mixing them together? i also would need to deal with the spinach and chard soon, so priority goes to those as well. also, the sugar dumpling squash feels like it won't last much longer.

thanks, guys! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:55 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Considering my Slavic roots, the first thing that came to my mind is borscht.
Here is what you will need:
-1 onion
-3 cloves of garlic
-3 beets
-2 carrots
-broth or water
-1 or 2 potatoes
-cabbage (maybe 1/2 of one medium-sized cabbage)
-15 oz of diced tomatoes/chopped fresh tomatoes/tomato paste (if you don't have either of the first two options)
-cooked kidney beans
-chard
-salt and pepper

Sautee the onion first, then add some garlic. Peel beets and carrots and put them through a food processor using the grating blade. Add the resulting mixture to the pan with onions and garlic. Cook until beets and carrots are starting to become soft. While these veggies are cooking in a pan, I usually have a large pot with broth on a different burner. I cut up potatoes and cabbage and let them cook while I am finishing up beets and carrots.

Add tomatoes/tomato paste to the beet and carrot mixture and turn off the heat. Add the veggie mixture to the pot and continue cooking until the potatoes are ready. Add beans and a little of chopped chard. Season with salt and pepper. Done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

oh! this sounds better than the other borscht i tried a few months ago. (oh god. it was cloyingly sweet. i couldn't finish it, it was making me nauseous.) this looks better since it's "diluted" by more savory things.

oh. as for grating. my food processor has only limited options. there are 2 slicing discs and a shredding disc as well as a dough blade and the regular chopping blade. is shredded small enough, or should i process the shreds with the chopper afterwards to be the size similar to a grated veggie? (i also have a box grater, but i don't look forward to that!)

thanks! i'll let you know how it turns out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Why was it sweet? Was there added sugar?

As for the food processor, I think you can just use the shredding disk. It should be similar in size to your grater (the side with the largest holes).

I was going to mention that we always serve this soup with some mayo or vegan sour cream, if you like that better. You can also add some chopped parsley or dill at the very end to enhance the flavor. Here is what it looks like:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am 

yeah, it was from nava atlas' vegan soups and stews for all seasons.
it was called hot beet and potato borscht. for 4 beets and 3 potatoes, it suggested 2-3 tbsp sugar (to taste, but i trusted her and just dumped it in without tasting first.)

for other folks, don't worry about thinking of other meals for me. i've been invited to test for a cookbook that will use most of these beauties. next player is up. :-)