| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arizmendi's Cherry Corn Scone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Prior to going vegan Arizmendi's cherry corn scone was my one true pastry love. I haven't had one in years and only now had the presence of mind to look for the recipe online. Luckily, the SF Chronicle ran a copy of it a few years ago so now I know the secrets of the scone! The recipe's not vegan, natch, but it looks easily veganizable. I'd try it right this minute but I jealousy guard my dried cherries for muesli and oatmeal and didn't plan to need any extra last I went to the market.

Two questions: for the cold, unsalted butter is there any option other than Earth Balance? and for the buttermilk, would that just be 1 1/4 cups almond/soy/whatever with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar left aside to curdle?

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup + 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups medium-grind yellow cornmeal
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4 cup dried sweet cherries
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 425°. Adjust rack in center of oven. Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Add salt, 2/3 cup sugar, and the cornmeal. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until it is the size of small peas. Using the spoon, mix in cherries. Make a well in the center; add buttermilk. Mix briefly, until ingredients just come together; some loose flour should remain at bottom of bowl. Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.

Gently shape the dough into balls about 2 1/4 inches in diameter (they should have a rough, rocky exterior) and place them on the prepared pans about 2 inches apart.
Sprinkle the 1/4 cup sugar on top of the scones. Place the scones on the middle rack of the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the scones are golden. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.

Yields 15-20 scones

Original Source:
SFgate.com
Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Post subject: Re: Arizmendi's Cherry Corn Scone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

you could use shortening instead of the EB and the vinegar in soymilk s perfect for buttermilk although right now i cant remember if it's a teaspoon or a tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ooh I really want to make these !

Also I have recipes with both teaspoon and tablespoon to 1C milk. If you're guessing, I'd go with the tablespoon, since it might help to make it extra curdly. Gross word, sorry. But yeah.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't recommend using almond milk in the buttermilk mixture. The almonds just separate from the water and it's not very good.

And I'd recommend earth balance. I know some people don't like it, but I do, and I've used it to make some awesome scones.

Also, you might consider replacing some of the buttermilk with yogurt. It'll make them more tender, and the yogurt adds a bit of the sourness of the buttermilk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have made these scones two days in a row now, both times for guests. (It is VERY difficult to think "scone" and not make the PPK chocolate ginger chunk scones!)

They turned out well both times, but I upped the nutrition game a bit in the following ways:
All whole wheat flour (not sure what the recipe said...)
1/2 c sucanat + 1.5 t stevia powder
1/2 c Earth Balance + 1/3 c mild olive oil
1 medium baked sweet potato blended (with skin in Vitamix) with soured soy milk to make about 2 cups (additional wet ingredients balance out the increased moisture need of whole grains and the thicker sweet potato mixture)
Additionally, the second time, I briefly blended in some candied ginger--leaving some small chunks.

I forewent the sugar topping and the complicated baking temperatures; 400F degrees for 15-20 minutes was perfect.

They had the crunchy crisp of the cornmeal AND the creamy smooth (but not doughy) of polenta!