| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question- stuffed cabbage-lentils/brown rice in slow cooker?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello! I am of Polish descent. I am going to make a vegan version of the traditional recipe for Gołąbki (go-wump-ki), which is Polish stuffed cabbage. Instead of stuffing cooked cabbage leaves with seasoned raw meat and cooked white rice & cooking it, I am going to stuff cooked cabbage leaves with lentils and brown rice.

Here is quick overview of the traditional recipe:
Cook white rice, mix with ground raw meat, season.
Stuff a portion into a cooked cabbage leave - end result looks like a small package.
Large pot used-bottom of pot lined with cooked cabbage leaves so Gołąbki on bottom of pot don't scorch.
Stack Gołąbki, seam side down into pot. When they've all been stacked in the pot, cover the stacked Gołąbki with cooked cabbage leaves.
Fill the pot with seasoned tomato sauce. Bring pot to boil, then turn heat to low. Keep a lid on the pot.
Every so often, carefully lift the pot & gently shake it. Cook for about 2 hours.

Can you help answer a few questions re: the vegan stuffed cabbage made in a slow cooker?
When the cooking is done, the lentil & brown rice stuffing should be fully cooked & tender, not overcooked & mushy.

Will you please share your advice/suggestions:
1) Should I partially cook the lentils and the brown rice (separately of course). If so, approximately how long should I cook each one?
I want to make enough Gołąbki to fill my crock pot, leaving some room at the top.

2) I was going to 1st cook it on high for about 1 hour. Then turn heat setting to low, keeping the lid on the cooker.
I was going to test one about 2 hours later (total cooking time 3 hrs.-1 hour high heat plus 2 hours low heat)
Then test again in 1 hour until the stuffing consistency is tender. Once I determine the total time it will be easy to make in the future.

I've used beans in the slow cooker for different dishes, but they were fully cooked and added at the end. I never cooked rice or lentils in a slow cooker.

Your recommendations re: preparing the lentils and the brown rice for this slow cooker recipe is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]