| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miyoko's Kitchen Cheeses
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We got this party platter of Miyoko's Kitchen cheeses for the holidays and I am here to sing their praises. So far we've tried the French Style Winter Truffle and the Fresh Loire Valley in a Fig Leaf. Both are incredible -- so creamy and tangy. The Loire Valley is sharper and the Winter Truffle is more subtle, but despite the expense, I feel they are worth every penny. We tried them out on omnivore friends and they loved them too. Has anyone else here tried any of Miyoko's cheeses? What did you think?

Post subject: Re: Miyoko's Kitchen Cheeses
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I live 30 mins from where it's made, so I've enjoyed the spoils. Here's what they've got so far:

1. Classic Double Cream Chive
2. Double Cream Sundried Tomato Garlic
3. High Sierra Rustic Alpine
4. Fresh Loire Valley in Fig Leaf
5. Mt. Vesuvius Black Ash
6. French Style Winter Truffle
7. Aged English Sharp Farmhouse
8. Ages English Smoked Farmhouse
9. Country Style Herbes de Provence

My favorites are 1 and 9- but I think 2, 4, 7 & 8 are really good too! I have never seen or tried 5. I think 6 tastes like salami. I really did not like 3.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I live 30 mins from where it's made, so I've enjoyed the spoils. Here's what they've got so far:

1. Classic Double Cream Chive
2. Double Cream Sundried Tomato Garlic
3. High Sierra Rustic Alpine
4. Fresh Loire Valley in Fig Leaf
5. Mt. Vesuvius Black Ash
6. French Style Winter Truffle
7. Aged English Sharp Farmhouse
8. Ages English Smoked Farmhouse
9. Country Style Herbes de Provence

My favorites are 1 and 9- but I think 2, 4, 7 & 8 are really good too! I have never seen or tried 5. I think 6 tastes like salami. I really did not like 3.

Thank you!

#6 tasted good to me but I liked #4 even better. I really wanted to get #9 from them but I didn't see it listed in the mail order packages. I'm actually hoping I'll like #3, since the description on the package makes it sound like gruyere. Gruyere is an acquired taste but I did used to like it before I went vegan.

I'll keep you posted on what I think of the others when I try them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

The Loire and the Sundried Tomato Garlic are two of my favorite cheeses of all time, vegan or non. They're incredible. I love the Sharp Farmhouse, too - we used it for mac & cheese and it was fantastic, like a fancy restaurant mac & cheese. I loved the Herbes de Provence when we opened it, but I don't like the flavor it's developed as it's aging further. My boyfriend flipped for the Alpine, but I was pretty meh about it. Our truffle arrived moldy so we had to toss it, and our Black Ash & Smoked Farmhouse are still unopened. Oh, and my boyfriend is mad for the Chive, but onions are my nemeses, so I can't speak to its goodness.

I need them to be sold in my vegan market now. I'd buy them all the time. I feel terrible about all the packaging used when they come through the mail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:53 pm 

veganchubosaurus wrote:
The Loire and the Sundried Tomato Garlic are two of my favorite cheeses of all time, vegan or non. They're incredible. I love the Sharp Farmhouse, too - we used it for mac & cheese and it was fantastic, like a fancy restaurant mac & cheese. I loved the Herbes de Provence when we opened it, but I don't like the flavor it's developed as it's aging further. My boyfriend flipped for the Alpine, but I was pretty meh about it. Our truffle arrived moldy so we had to toss it, and our Black Ash & Smoked Farmhouse are still unopened. Oh, and my boyfriend is mad for the Chive, but onions are my nemeses, so I can't speak to its goodness.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the Sundried Tomato Garlic and the Sharp Farmhouse now.

That's a shame about your truffle arriving moldy. Did you call Miyoko's Kitchen to complain? I'm sure they would replace it or give you some kind of break on your next order. I saw on the site the Black Ash wasn't available when I ordered. I'm so curious about it!

I don't have the regular chive-- we got a special limited edition Double Cream Garlic Herb in our party platter instead, but haven't tried it yet. I'm trying hard not to eat them all at once but to save some for the next special occasion.

Quote:
I need them to be sold in my vegan market now. I'd buy them all the time. I feel terrible about all the packaging used when they come through the mail.

Same here. They are better than the Kite Hill cheeses which are sold locally, so I hope Whole Foods starts distributing them more widely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I know WF in the Bay Area has them, so if you request your local WF to carry it I'm sure that would help a lot!

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I know WF in the Bay Area has them, so if you request your local WF to carry it I'm sure that would help a lot!

How do I go about requesting that? Who would I need to talk to?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:15 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

LFL wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Usually you just go to the customer service counter in the store. It's pretty common that supermarkets have people requesting they stock new items.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

LFL wrote:
That's a shame about your truffle arriving moldy. Did you call Miyoko's Kitchen to complain? I'm sure they would replace it or give you some kind of break on your next order. I saw on the site the Black Ash wasn't available when I ordered. I'm so curious about it!

Oh, I sent them an email right away. They refunded the cost and gave me a coupon for a free replacement. One of my friends also got moldy truffle cheese, so I think it was a known problem.

I asked on their FB page if they'd be coming to Vegan Haven in Seattle anytime soon, and they basically just said "Nope. No plans to do that at all." Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:11 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
LFL wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Usually you just go to the customer service counter in the store. It's pretty common that supermarkets have people requesting they stock new items.

Not all stores have them, or they have them but they are not manned. A couple weeks ago I was looking for the Field Roast Chao Cheese Slices (which I still haven't seen in LA) and the cheese person from Whole Foods wasn't on the floor. The woman who worked there said I would get a call back if I left my number with her, but it never happened. I'll try again though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 pm 

Well, we opened the special limited edition Double Cream Garlic Herb. The Miyoko's Kitchen website compared it to Boursin but my husband and I didn't find it that Boursin like. We tasted a bit of garlic and parsley but the predominant flavor was tarragon, which isn't my favorite herb. Boursin as I remember it is a lot more garlicky -- or peppery, if you get the peppercorn flavor instead of the garlic. We still have three flavors left to try and I hope those live up to our expectations.

My conclusion: the Double Cream Garlic Herb was pretty good, but not as great as the French Style Winter Truffle or the Fresh Loire Valley in a Fig Leaf. Fans of tarragon may differ, though!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:17 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I found them at the Los Altos whole foods! I got the chive and the smoky cheddar. I love the chive but the smoked one is too intense. What could I do with it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Spread it more thinly on crackers, so you don't get as much at once?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Make a pasta sauce with just a little bit of it, mixed with another cheese or lots of nooch? Or a nice, strong cruciferous vegetable to balance out strong flavors?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mac n cheese? if it's in a sauce with soy milk. maybe it'll be more muted. i want to try!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 am 
Saggy Butt

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mac n cheese? if it's in a sauce with soy milk. maybe it'll be more muted. i want to try!

That's what I'd try! Report back!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:30 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Cool thanks! Imma try Mac and cheese and dilute it with some chao slices. It's like pure smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:57 pm 

I've now ordered all the cheeses in my pre-Thanksgiving party platter order. Two of the cheeses were the wrong cheese-- instead of #7 and #3, I got #8. It is indeed very smokey but I like it. Still, I let Miyoko's Kitchen know about the first mix up (with cheese #7 being replaced with #8) and they very generously refunded me the cost of the cheese and gave me a voucher toward another. I just emailed them about the second mix up, and told them they've been generous enough and don't need to give me anything more. I wanted them to know it happened twice in the same order because I'd like to order from them again in the future, but I want to know I'll get what I ordered!

The really weird thing is that the packaging on each round was accurate for what I ordered, so someone actually put the Aged English Smoked Farmhouse in the boxes for Aged English Sharp Farmhouse (an understandable mistake) and High Sierra Rustic Alpine (less understandable, but it still happened). Therefore, I didn't know about it until I opened the individual cheese boxes.

Having now sampled all of the ones I got, here are my thoughts:

2. Double Cream Sundried Tomato Garlic -- this was the only cheese I didn't really like. I thought it needed something. Odd since others here love it.
4. Fresh Loire Valley in Fig Leaf -- My favorite of all! Really great cheese. So, so good.
6. French Style Winter Truffle -- Very good and I liked it.
8. Ages English Smoked Farmhouse -- Got two of these by mistake in place of #3 and #7. Smokey and yummy. Even though I was really disappointed not to get #7 and wanted to try #3, this is my second favorite.
Special Limited Edition Double Cream Garlic Herb --- Pretty good, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't expected something more like Boursin from the description.

Overall, I would order from Miyoko's Kitchen again. Almost everything I had appealed to me, and that Loire Valley in a Fig Leaf cheese is amazing. And when I let the company know about the mix up, they treated me right. I'm a little worried that it could happen again, but I want to support them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

So growing up we were not rich and my dad was not a 'fancy food' eater so I do not know what $$$ fancy cheese tastes like. I can tell you though that the smoked farmhouse is glorious! I made a pasta sauce with it one night, then snacked on it with crackers the next day. I even shared some with my neighbor.

I have seen it in all the n.ca WF I have been too: oakland, san ramon and sacramento.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just got my first order and it is so good. So far I've tried the #2 sundries tomato garlic, the #5 black ash and the #7 sharp farmhouse. I like #5 the best so far. I also have #6 winter truffle, #8 smoked farmhouse and #10 garlic herb. Next time I'll get what I didn't get this time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:51 pm 

I love that they are doing mix and match now! But three of the five flavors I most want to get are sold out. I think I'll wait a bit for them to be available again...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yes! So glad I read this thread. All the best ones are out of stock, but I still ordered three as a valentine's day present for me and my hubz to share.

I got the sundried tomato, black ash and smoked. Can't wait to try them!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 pm 

Aubade wrote:
Yes! So glad I read this thread. All the best ones are out of stock, but I still ordered three as a valentine's day present for me and my hubz to share.

I got the sundried tomato, black ash and smoked. Can't wait to try them!!

Let us know how you like them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So far black ash is my favorite. The smoked farmhouse is a bit too smoke flavored for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mmm v-day wine & cheese party 1st course was a success! We had the sundried tomato on rosemary olive oil bread with a little bordeaux. It was delicious!