| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passover 2014
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Is it too soon for a Passover thread? I love this holiday so much. I have no idea what our seder situation will be like this year (not to mention my current food limitations). But I know I want to make potato kugel muffins and matzah puppy chow. And I'm itching to try out some tricolor terrines as a first course instead of gefilte fish. All the recipes I'm finding have eggs though, so I'll have to figure out a good sub.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Passover 2014
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Never too soon! I don't host, but I usually make matzoh ball soup and there will be a quinoa & veggie dish, potatoes and roasted veggies for me at the table.

Thinking about using the week to do a juice cleanse (since I keep K for P the whole week and will feel deprived no matter what), but if that doesn't pan out/I can't keep up the cleanse the entire time I want any and all delicious Passover recipes now!

A couple of recipes I've found so far that might make the cut:
http://www.dinascucina.com/post/53736497875/holiday-in-spain-cauliflower-rice-vegetable

http://withstyleandgraceblog.com/2011/11/16/quinoa-sweet-potato-and-dried-cranberry-stuffing-thanksgiving/

And it's not Passover without a ton of desserts:
http://recipesreinvented.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/thumbprint-cookies-for-passover-dairy-egg-nut-free-vegan/

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/06/snickerdoodle-cookies.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

i don't know if i'm going to be going to a seder this year, but someone mentioned cookie brittle to me and it made me think that it's probably something that could be good made with matzoh flour. http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/3 ... etail.aspx it's basically just unleavened cookies.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Purim is over, so of course it isn't too early to talk Passover. For seders I'm only responsible for bringing a couple veggie dishes and vegan matzah balls for my family, so I will have to think through the veggies. For the week, I'll do my usual kitniyot variations, bowls all the way. Not putting a lot of effort into the cooking piece this year, I just don't have it in me. And Passover baking is crazy talk - maybe a little matzah brittle, but baked goods, no. Also I don't want to kasher my oven! Now there is a ton of stuff in the stores here that is actually marked kitniyot kosher for Passover, so that makes life easier than in the past. We are currently working earnestly through piles of pasta and vital wheat gluten in preparation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 pm 

A silver lining of the whole paleo nonsense, I'm finding a ton more accidentally kosher for Passover recipes. Especially for breakfast and dessert. Almond meal porridge and things like that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mollyjade wrote:
A silver lining of the whole paleo nonsense, I'm finding a ton more accidentally kosher for Passover recipes. Especially for breakfast and dessert. Almond meal porridge and things like that.

Agreed! Share your finds!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm 

Lemon-blueberry scones: http://www.thekitchn.com/grainfree-lemo ... nes-200707

Almond meal porridge: http://ancestralchef.com/paleo-breakfas ... #more-4759

Quinoa granola: http://mayihavethatrecipe.com/2014/04/0 ... a-granola/

And my giant list on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/lonestarplate/vegan-passover/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

My sedar will go something like this:

-Matzah Ball veggie soup
-My mom's potato-onion salad with matzah and horseradish YUMM
-Potato latkes
-Roasted beets
-Roasted head of cauliflower
-Spinach kugel
-Coconut macaroons
-Boxed passover cookies that I'll make vegan
-Berry crisp sounds nice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am 

Potato-onion salad with matzah and horseradish sounds delicious. Is it more like potato salad? or a green salad?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I want to know more about potato onion salad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Haha, sorry I think the way I worded it made it sound more exciting than it actually is. So my parent's like to make this salad as an appetizer that contains boiled and chopped eggs, boiled and chopped potatoes, chopped raw onion, with a healthy coating of oil and salt. My mom makes a bit extra for me and simply omits the egg. Then I eat it with matzah and horseradish. I know, it's so boring sounding, but it's really tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Xstarxtodayx, can you repost your fabulous potato starch matzah ball recipe? I have misplaced it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't find my menu or the recipes I used last year. I've looked everywhere. I have a picture of my seder plate, but that's it.

I know I made matzah balls and broth, gelfilte fish, and? not sure what else. can't find recipe that I used for the fish. For day 2, I'm going to an omni potluck so I need to find something entree-ish for my family to bring in addition to the matzah balls. Idea? I'd love a yummy casserole type dish that would be easy to transport. Day one I'm just feeding my small family at home. I'm trying to decide what is crucial and what is not necessary. I'd rather eat fruit than bother with desserts. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ariann wrote:
Xstarxtodayx, can you repost your fabulous potato starch matzah ball recipe? I have misplaced it!

This one? viewtopic.php?p=529318#p529318
And there's Larisa's modified version: viewtopic.php?p=719109#p719109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

THAT ONE, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:55 pm 
Chard Martyr

ooh! i need to try mollyjade's steamed version!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut, I think I am going to bring this roasted veggie thing for one of our seders.
http://www.thetalkingkitchen.com/roaste ... noa-salad/

I think I might bring this less filling thing to my first seder, since there will probably be more filling stuff for us there (last year my aunt even made us vegan chopped liver). http://mayihavethatrecipe.com/2014/03/2 ... cots-figs/

Both care of mollyjade's awesome Pinterest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've hit a wrinkle in my Passover plans. In all my planning, I somehow forgot that I have grad school class on Monday and Tuesday nights. Blurg. I missed last week because I was sick and it's near the end of the term so I don't really see how I can miss again. I'm really bummed. So I emailed the professor of one of the classes with my issues and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm cooking like mad today so we can have an early dinner tonight together as a family and so there will be enough vegan food for my daughter and husband for their trip Tuesday to visit family out of town and that Seder. Now that my vent is out of the way, I want to try the rolo recipe from oh she glows but trading almond butter for the peanut butter. I was not raised Jewish so I don't know all the rules and such. Will that be okay as a vegan Passover dessert option? I'm going to skip the chia seeds too.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/10/17/homema ... gredients/

Oh, and thanks for the ideas above Ariann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am 

Butternut, it depends on how strict your husband's family is. Chocolate/chocolate chips require a Kosher for Passover certification for people who are strict about these things because some chocolate has soy or corn in it.

We're actually doing our family seder on Saturday, which feels weird, but practical. Matt and I are both sick, and Matt's brother is getting his gallbladder out today. On the plus side, nephew is finally old enough to do the four questions, which is really exciting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 am 
***LIES!!!***

What mollyjade said, although if they are happy for you to bring stuff cooked at home in a kitchen that isn't kosher for Passover, they would probably be okay with you just checking ingredients on the chocolate, since I imagine you aren't getting kosher for Passover almond butter either. Although, then again, people are weird.

In the end, I'm just making roasted asparagus and roasted beets for my seder contribution. Couldn't find fennel anywhere! Matzah balls are a-boiling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks! Yeah, they know it won't be kosher from my kitchen and gave me the okay on that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Our UU church has an annual seder. I'm making vegan tzimmes for 30 people! I also make some kale/quinoa/garbanzo dish as a main for the vegans/vegetarians.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 pm 

I'm so excited. I can't help messing around with the matzo ball soup recipe every year. This year I changed the order of adding the ingredients. I used a recipe with baking soda (Larisa's) and used the muffin method, and it made a huge difference. These are the first legitimately fluffy vegan matzo balls I've made.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]