| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too many tomatoes!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got over 2 pounds of ripe on-vine tomatoes from the market earlier. Now I have to decide what to do with them.

I looked for a tomatoes thread for inspiration but although I searched "tomatoes" in the kitchen section, checking topic titles only, I couldn't find a dedicated thread. If I missed a general recipe ideas thread for tomatoes somehow please point me to it!

If not, I'm open to all suggestions, but veering towards cooking most of them in some way (maybe in seitan, some kind of chickpea quiche, soup etc.) rather than raw.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

Post subject: Re: Too many tomatoes!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:57 pm 
Chip Strong

Growing up, during tomato season my mom always made a pizza with our excess tomatoes, where instead of any sauce she would just put a solid layer of sliced tomatoes on the dough, and top with fancy cheese. I think this would be equally good with a garlicky cashew/tofu ricotta, or layer of pesto + solid layer of tomatoes. When I say solid layer, I truly mean wall to wall slices, not dispersed like one would put a normal pizza topping...

One year during a tomato glut I made Isa's tomato rice soup (sorry, can't recall which book.) I thought it might be a bit bland looking at the ingredients, but made it since I had everything on hand...and holy crepe! It was soooo good with really good tomatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I couldn't resist slowroasting them with olive oil/big pieces of garlic/salt/pepper and serving over polenta or pasta...or focaccia, or as the base of a bisque, but this (and masterchef us last night) has me thinking Indian curries, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Salsa and tomato sauce!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jdfunks wrote:
I couldn't resist slowroasting them with olive oil/big pieces of garlic/salt/pepper and serving over polenta or pasta...
This sounds amazing - throw some white beans and fresh basil in there and you've got a perfect meal! (In related news, tomatoes have just been bumped to the top of my farmer's market list.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I too roast them but with coarsely chopped bell peppers with onion, garlic adding tomatoes close to the end ... delicious cold as a side or served with pasta ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just made pesto trapanese which is a good use of tomatoes and is hella easy and delicious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went with electric_claire's mom's tomato overload pizza to start with. Didn't even put a cheese sub on, just garlic oil. It was very good.

ijustdiedinside do you add a cheese sub? Pesto trapanese sounds great but the recipe I saw used pecorino. Nooch instead?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:26 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I like roasting them and putting them in soup. I am a big soup fan though so maybe it seems boring, but a good tomato soup can be incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:02 am 
Chip Strong

Yay, that makes me happy and nostalgic. Man, I wish I could cook a tomato pizza- it's always waaaay to forking hot in my apartment during tomato season to turn the oven that high though! I don't think my mom started making it until we moved into a house with central AC.

Also, I want to eat everything in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:22 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Ohsheglows creamy tomato soup with garam masala. Best soup ever. Bonus that you need to slow roast the tomatoes first (she gives you a method). Slow roast a huge pile, use some for the soup and the rest as others suggest above.
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/23/creamy ... onut-soup/

If you get tired of cooking and still have tomatoes you can make pico de gallo in 5 minutes in a blender or food processor. Tomatoes, onion, jalapeƱo, cilantro, garlic, lime juice S&P. Great on bowls, tacos, beans, etc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Wow, Claire, your mom's tomato pizza sounds amazing. I'm going to have to make that.
Dropscone, I know you said cooked, but salsa and gazpacho come to mind. You could also try making your own ketchup or bbq sauce from fresh tomatoes. That would probably use more tomatoes than you have.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
... You could also try making your own ketchup or bbq sauce from fresh tomatoes. That would probably use more tomatoes than you have.

That's a great idea! There are lots of really good quality tomatoes going dirt cheap in the market at the moment so getting more won't be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have tomato plants, and they always seem to grown in waves....i will have nothing for weeks, and then BAM 2-3lbs of tomatoes that I need to make ASAP!

here are some things I use them in

-Roasted tomato sauce: Cut tomatoes in half or quarters, put face up on a cookie sheet (or 2) lined with parchment paper. Add a sliced onion and whole garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, some salt, pepper, and dried herbs like basil or oregano. Roast at 400 for about 30-40 minutes. let cool, them put in a food processor, I like it chunky and add to pasta. It makes a ton from about 2lbs of tomatoes. Super easy too, I have my BF do the roasting for me when i am at work. Sometimes the seeds can be a bit much depending on the tomatoes, so you can squeeze most of them out before you put on the cookie sheet.

-Pico or salsa like someone mentioned upthread. I like roasting the tomatoes first though, like I did above, except add a jalepeno or two and use mexican oregano. Then blend with cilantro and lime juice. sometimes I add a adobo pepper (from the can) to make it smokey.

-Quick pan made tomato sauce: olive oil, fry onions and garlic. Add about 2lbs of chopped tomatoes, about 1/4cup of white wine, and some herbs (dried or fresh). Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes till they are broken down. Boom you have pasta sauce.

Next time I get a really huge batch, I want to try de-seeding and de-skinning and cooking in my crockpot for a thicker sauce. But you need a LOT for that. I dont think my plants will yield enough.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:53 pm 

dropscone wrote:
I went with electric_claire's mom's tomato overload pizza to start with. Didn't even put a cheese sub on, just garlic oil. It was very good.

ijustdiedinside do you add a cheese sub? Pesto trapanese sounds great but the recipe I saw used pecorino. Nooch instead?

yeah, i put in a little nooch! but i dont even know if it needed it. it was so good with fresh tomatoes and basil and nuts and olive oil.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you make extra sauce you can freeze it in ice cube trays and then just pop them out one at a time for later use in dishes you want to add some tomato yum to. I know someone who makes herb ice cubes too for the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

the best chili i ever made was with fresh tomatoes. so sweet and delicious. mmmmm. (same with chana. it's on a whole other level than using canned)

need i say tomato sandwiches? just lightly toasted toast, mayo, a big slice of 'mater and salt. a friend also suggested i use a dash of pepper too, and that was a nice change.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have got some Kumatoes ...

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/english-kumatoes

they look mysteriously somber ... thinking carefully of what to do with them ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:16 pm 

jdfunks wrote:
I couldn't resist slowroasting them with olive oil/big pieces of garlic/salt/pepper

Exactly what I would do if I were lucky enough to have your problem!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 pm 
Semen Strong

I have a similar problem and was going to make and freeze Cream of Tomato soup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've always wanted to try making oven-roasted "sundried" tomatoes - but I never have enough tomatoes leftover because of my love of pomodoro.