| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Afternoon Tea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi,

I'm arranging a vintage afternoon tea for a friend's pre wedding celebration and wondering what others would make/expect to see if they were attending one? There will definitely be scones with jam and vegan clotted cream, cucumber sandwiches, strawberries and cream, a cake or two. The problem is I'm a 2 and a half hour train journey away from where it'll be. I'll be arriving a day early and will have access to a friends kitchen but this is going to mean I have to make things fairly simple.

Luckily there's a great shop in London that sells vegan doughnuts filled with cream that look really fancy, so I'll definitely save myself some hassle and buy those in.

Any ideas, recipes etc would be greatly appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Vegan Afternoon Tea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

fruit kabobs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Bisquits/cookies! Those are easy to bring from home. Here in Sweden, in the era we consider "vintage" today, a tea party would have one or two simple cakes and seven kinds of cookie. I don't know what the tradition is in England, but some kind of crunchy bisquit would probably have been involved, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Fruit kebabs is a great idea, definitely doing that. Can whip that up on the morning of the event too! I've got some white chocolate chips that I can melt and drizzle over them too.

Amonik, there definitely would be biscuits involved! I was thinking of buying some biscuits in but actually but you're right, they do travel pretty easily. Could probably bring both cookies and scones along with me and maybe focus on cakes in my friends kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 am 
Chard Martyr

Mini quiches? They are really easy and as someone who never really understood why tea features soooo many sweets, I would appreciate the savoury options! There's a caramelized watermelon and cheese sandwich at this vegetarian tea house in Victoria that sounds fascinating and I keep meaning to veganize, but that might be a little fussy.

What a fun event!

eta Earl Grey shortbread!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I would do a lavender shortbread (there's a great recipe variation in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar-- the pie plate shortbread).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

hastalavegan wrote:
Luckily there's a great shop in London that sells vegan doughnuts filled with cream that look really fancy, so I'll definitely save myself some hassle and buy those in.

If you're talking about Vx make sure they know you are coming and what you need or you may find the cupboard is bare! (They usually freeze them so if you collect them frozen but they defrost pretty quickly so should be fresh and cool for your event.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 am 
Tofu Pup

Mini quiches sound great, will have to check to see if the kitchen I'm using has a blender or food processor

I did have my eye on those lavender shortbreads when skimming through cookbooks

rentaghost wrote:
hastalavegan wrote:

If you're talking about Vx make sure they know you are coming and what you need or you may find the cupboard is bare! (They usually freeze them so if you collect them frozen but they defrost pretty quickly so should be fresh and cool for your event.)

I am indeed! Have been in touch to ask them when deliveries are but was told they're random and to rely on their frozen stock. Hopefully I'll be lucky to turn up close to a delivery day!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Vegan benedictine, either on sandwiches or as a cracker dip/spread.