| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beast Burger by Beyond Meat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Finally, they're turning up in stores around SF! It's too late to cook one tonight so I'll be back with a review tomorrow. I did snip the plastic to smell them as I'm not a fan of the artificial smoke that always weasels its way into these things. The smoke was there as well as a hint of barbecue sauce. Grrr.

Post subject: Re: Beast Burger by Beyond Meat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm not a fan of fake smoke or BBQ either--- but I still want to hear how they turn out! Nice packaging.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 am 
Saggy Butt

Where did you find them? I know Republic of V has them but I won't be able to make a trip there for awhile. Do you know why Rainbow won't carry Beyond Meat? I asked someone there but they were too cool to answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:40 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I haven't heard great things (high in sat fat, and taste is not what the person wanted). This is someone who doesn't eat much vegan "meat". I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'll preface this by saying that the last time I ate a burger that was meant to taste like meat was probably a Boca Burger circa 1997 so I'm not a good judge of these things. With that out of the way, what was Beyond Meat thinking?? After all of the hype, what a disappointment.

I had no reason to worry about the smoke or bbq that I smelled while they were raw because cooked they tasted like nothing. The outside was nicely crispy and brown, but that's about the only positive. If forced to come up with a description of the flavor, I would have to say mildly fishy/seaweed-y from the algal DHA oil...not the best thing in a burger.

There's 16g of fat, 2.5 of which are saturated, and they sizzle and ooze lots of oil as they cook. Sodium is rather high at 480mg, and there are ingredients that some may find troublesome, like caramel color and carrageenan.

Alin, I bought them at the Potrero Hill Whole Foods and a friend saw them at the one in San Mateo. I've also wondered about Rainbow and Beyond Meat. If Flirtatious Guy is there next time I go in, I'll ask him. If anyone is going to spill their secrets, It's him!

Sorry for being so negative, but they were bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I was not very impressed with their other products I've tried, but it's nice to see more of this stuff becoming available. For those who are fans, they are promoting this stuff with lots of online coupons! You can double up and save a couple dollars through Ibotta and Berry Cart, also I think the company is putting out their own manufacturers coupons online.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:07 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I did not like these at all. They almost tasted fishy to me. Got them as a treat for almost $7, was so disappointed.
I've reached a point where I actually like my burgers to taste a little vegetable-y and maybe seedy.
Do they really taste like meat? It's been so long now I don't know.