| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PPK Blog Grapeseed Mayonnaise Oh. My. Gawd.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

5 minutes with the Vitamix and I have rich creamy non-tofu mayo. I'm near tears from the beauty.

Post subject: Re: PPK Blog Grapeseed Mayonnaise Oh. My. Gawd.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I want to make it once I run out of my EB kind (which I like, by the way!). You can do this in a non-Vitamix, yes?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am sure you can, I don't even know if Isa has a vitamix (she doesn't specify) but I actually cut down the time by quite a bit because Vitamix (like, 10 seconds in between tablespoons of oil, instead of 30 seconds). I also used EVOO instead of Grapeseed and it's still wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nice! The mayo I have right now is olive oil based, and I really like it. Plus, I never have grapeseed oil, so that's probably what I would use too!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ooh, I was waiting to pick up some grapeseed oil; now I can try it tomorrow with olive oil!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So glad someone started a thread on this! I tried to make it yesterday and I totally failed! It didn't emulsify properly. I also have a vitamix, and I think the problem might have been that I followed the directions exactly, waiting 30 seconds between tablespoonfulls, and I think my vitamix got everything too hot. After letting the gloopy oily result sit in the fridge over night, I tried again this morning to salvage it by starting with 1 Tbs of flax and 1/4 cup of almond milk, and then drizzling in the mix in a slow stream, rather than waiting 30 seconds between additions. Still didn't work for me, and it still seemed to get kind of hot, even in that shorter amount of time. In my original attempt I used 1/2 c. canola oil and 1/2 c. olive oil, and only had 1 TBS of golden flax left, so I used 1/2 Tbs of regular flax to make up the difference. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.

Any ideas? I really want to figure out how to make it work! It looks heavenly, and I know it's me doing something wrong somehow, but I can't figure out what. My flax didn't seem to get very gloopy, maybe that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am 
Saggy Butt

Definitely got too hot in the Vitamix. I counted to ten between tablespoons of oil and twice during the process I stopped and let it rest/cool for about 15 seconds. It was thick and perfect. But even this way it was a little warm from the Vitamix so 30 second interims would get way too hot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 am 
Tofu Pup

I've been making this kind of mayo for years, but just with a stick blender in 2 or 3 minutes. What I found out is that the best tactic is to use a somewhat high and not to wide jug. I just put some unsweetened soymilk in the jug, add a splash of oil (I always use sunfloweroil, it's the cheapest tasteless oil in Holland) and go up and down with the blender (for like 20 seconds). I just keep adding oil untill I like the consistency. At the end I put in vinegar, lemon and seasoning and quickly mix it again. The ammount of oil I add every time is about a little less than 1/4 cup.

I never used flaxseeds in it, but I do like to add kala namak for saltiness and that eggy taste!

edit: the vinegar and lemon tends to thicken the mayo, so I always make the mayo a bit thinner than I want it to be in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

FrauleinB wrote:
I never used flaxseeds in it, but I do like to add kala namak for saltiness and that eggy taste!

Ooh, good idea! I've never thought of adding kala namak. I also find a stick blender is a good way to make this kind of mayo, sour cream etc. because it won't overheat as easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I've been making mayo with just canola oil, soy milk, mustard, salt, and lemon juice. The consistency is nearly perfect, but the taste is nothing to brag about. I'll be trying Isa's recipe soon. It definitely looks tastier!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

geeksweetheart wrote:
I am sure you can, I don't even know if Isa has a vitamix (she doesn't specify) but I actually cut down the time by quite a bit because Vitamix (like, 10 seconds in between tablespoons of oil, instead of 30 seconds). I also used EVOO instead of Grapeseed and it's still wonderful.

I do not have a Vitamix and I actually did specify! I have a regular old blender. Breville, specifically.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm 

Miz Mac wrote:
So glad someone started a thread on this! I tried to make it yesterday and I totally failed! It didn't emulsify properly. I also have a vitamix, and I think the problem might have been that I followed the directions exactly, waiting 30 seconds between tablespoonfulls, and I think my vitamix got everything too hot. After letting the gloopy oily result sit in the fridge over night, I tried again this morning to salvage it by starting with 1 Tbs of flax and 1/4 cup of almond milk, and then drizzling in the mix in a slow stream, rather than waiting 30 seconds between additions. Still didn't work for me, and it still seemed to get kind of hot, even in that shorter amount of time. In my original attempt I used 1/2 c. canola oil and 1/2 c. olive oil, and only had 1 TBS of golden flax left, so I used 1/2 Tbs of regular flax to make up the difference. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.

Any ideas? I really want to figure out how to make it work! It looks heavenly, and I know it's me doing something wrong somehow, but I can't figure out what. My flax didn't seem to get very gloopy, maybe that's it.

With a Vitamix, I would just wait much less between spoonfuls. Like 5 seconds, even.

ETA: Oops, geeky answered you and she has a Vitamix so, yeah, listen to her :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

FrauleinB wrote:
I've been making this kind of mayo for years, but just with a stick blender in 2 or 3 minutes. What I found out is that the best tactic is to use a somewhat high and not to wide jug. I just put some unsweetened soymilk in the jug, add a splash of oil (I always use sunfloweroil, it's the cheapest tasteless oil in Holland) and go up and down with the blender (for like 20 seconds). I just keep adding oil untill I like the consistency. At the end I put in vinegar, lemon and seasoning and quickly mix it again. The ammount of oil I add every time is about a little less than 1/4 cup.

edit: the vinegar and lemon tends to thicken the mayo, so I always make the mayo a bit thinner than I want it to be in the end.

Me too! I've often wondered why people bother buying mayo when it's so quick and easy to make and tastes vastly superior! I make mine with a stick blender, and I just throw everything in together and then blitz it for a minute or two - you actually don't need to drizzle the oil in like you do with an egg mayo, it will still emulsify perfectly. If you're keeping it in the fridge a few days and don't want to risk it weeping or splitting, you can add a tiny (a really tiny!) amount of guar or xanthan gum, but too much changes the texture. You don't even need to use soy milk in your mayo, you can use nuts or seeds. You can even use pureed veg, like roasted garlic, and it will still turn out super-creamy. I add about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to replace the richness and colour of the egg yolks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:20 am 
ugh

Karena wrote:
I make mine with a stick blender, and I just throw everything in together and then blitz it for a minute or two - you actually don't need to drizzle the oil in like you do with an egg mayo, it will still emulsify perfectly.

Ditto, sort of! I blend the oil & milk first, then add the vinegar (or lemon juice) and blend again. It doesn't thicken until the vinegar is added. If you remember it's two parts oil to one part soy milk, it is easy to make on the fly without even looking at a recipe. (Often I don't worry about seasoning since I'm going to add stuff to it anyway, like for potato salad, but I do want to try Isa's recommendations for a sandwich spread.)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Sooooo, my not being a consumer of milk can things like soy milk or nut milk be frozen and thawed later to use in this recipe? Wegman's here has these milks in half gallon quantities I think, I'll have to see maybe there is something in quarts but just the same that is a lot for me so I'd need to put the un-used portion up as it wouldn't all get used in a timely manner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I think that freezing might work, but haven't tried it so it sounds like a good opportunity to experiment. Plus, Wegmans also sells soy/almond/rice/whatever milk in the tetra pak cartons, so you wouldn't have to buy as much...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

I just made a version of this because I wanted a creamy salad dressing and it worked out really well! I did the milk/flax combo and then added the vinegar,lemon juice, seasonings then I drizzled in oil, but probably only half the amount of oil because i didn't want it to be super thick. I added more lemon juice and then a ton of parsley and garlic scapes and some more salt and pepper. It made this really awesome lemon parsley creamy dressing and super easy!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I made it with avocado oil because I bought a lot of it on sale and needed to use it up. It is amazingly buttery creamy rich and this lovely shade of golden. My blender got very hot and was sort of smoking. It didn't like the long process, so I'm hoping the "just dump it all in" method will work in the future. Either that or my blender will explode and I can justify shopping for a vitamix! As elegant as the avocado oil version is, I probably can't afford to make it that way normally, but I look forward to trying the recipe again with different oils. I did not find it at all too tangy or salty strait out of the blender and actually think now it is not enough of either of those, so I'll add more next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Karena wrote:
FrauleinB wrote:

Me too! I've often wondered why people bother buying mayo when it's so quick and easy to make and tastes vastly superior! I make mine with a stick blender, and I just throw everything in together and then blitz it for a minute or two - you actually don't need to drizzle the oil in like you do with an egg mayo, it will still emulsify perfectly. If you're keeping it in the fridge a few days and don't want to risk it weeping or splitting, you can add a tiny (a really tiny!) amount of guar or xanthan gum, but too much changes the texture. You don't even need to use soy milk in your mayo, you can use nuts or seeds. You can even use pureed veg, like roasted garlic, and it will still turn out super-creamy. I add about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to replace the richness and colour of the egg yolks.

I really like the nooch idea, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I just made this, with a stick blender in the measuring cup that comes with it which is just about perfect for the amount the recipe makes. I have a bottle of olive/canola/grapeseed oil so that's what I used, and it does taste kind of strongly of olive oil so next time i'm going to get a bottle of grapeseed. I think the hand blender did it quicker, and when the motor heats up it just warms your hand. I used a Ball mason jar for a container and it almost fills it up.

The one mistake I made was when I realized it was kind of olive-oily tasting (which I don't like, I usually buy the extra light tasting olive oil) was to add a little more lemon and vinegar which obviously thinned it out, so i'm waiting to see how much it thickens up in the fridge. It's not soupy or anything but it's not as firm as Vegenaise.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

FrauleinB wrote:

The flax really makes the difference! Since turning vegan and not wanting to pay for Vegenaise, I've been using the Vegan Epicurean recipe. Have always ADORED the taste and texture of that recipe - but I was running about a 30% failure rate (meaning 30% of the time, it would never emulsify, so I'd have to dump it - could never figure out why...).

The flax and steps outlined made this one emulsify without any problem! Loved the flavor out of the blender (strong, as the recipe says), and it sure did firm and thicken up in the fridge. Mine is still studded with flax sawdust (visually only, but imperceptible on the palate), as I blended the milk mixture for quite a while, but couldn't get the flax any smaller...

Typing from the middle of a huge bowl of broccoli slaw/salad, doused with a sweet and savory dressing made from this mayo (+ vinegar, lemon, agave, salt/pepper, celery seed - with broccoli, red cabbage, red onion, green onion, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds AND soy curl bacon pieces (YUMMMMMMM). Happy, happy...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 am 

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I made it with avocado oil because I bought a lot of it on sale and needed to use it up. It is amazingly buttery creamy rich and this lovely shade of golden. My blender got very hot and was sort of smoking. It didn't like the long process, so I'm hoping the "just dump it all in" method will work in the future. Either that or my blender will explode and I can justify shopping for a vitamix! As elegant as the avocado oil version is, I probably can't afford to make it that way normally, but I look forward to trying the recipe again with different oils. I did not find it at all too tangy or salty strait out of the blender and actually think now it is not enough of either of those, so I'll add more next time.

Please give your blender a break between additions. It doesn't need to run the entire time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

How long do you think it'll last in the refrigerator?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Karena wrote:
FrauleinB wrote:

finally i now have a use for the leftover veg pulp after making from-scratch veggie stock!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

IsaChandra wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:

Please give your blender a break between additions. It doesn't need to run the entire time.

Wait, you mean like turn off the blender while I add the oil, then turn it back on to mix? Or just turn it off and walk away from the whole process for a while and give the blender a cool down break? Or something else. I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm not quite understanding. And this seems like very important information!

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next