| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprouting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been attempting to sprout lately but I'm not sure what's going on. I've started to sprout lentils and it's going really slow and have just begun to see little sprouts shooting out of a few and when I go to drain them they smell like egg yolks. Is this normal?

Post subject: Re: Sprouting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

would probably help if you told us how you were going about sprouting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have plastic containers that I poked holes in the top. Added brown lentils and rinse, drain and add new water to every day. That's about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started sprouting too! I also have no idea what I am doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

I looked it up online and asked a friend of mine who sprouts. What are you trying to sprout right now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Right now, garbanzo beans.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

Where are you keeping them? You may not be draining them well enough. Do you tip the container upside down all day, at an angle, keep them in the dark, on a shelf, how often do you rinse and drain? Did you soak them first?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

julie wrote:
Where are you keeping them? You may not be draining them well enough. Do you tip the container upside down all day, at an angle, keep them in the dark, on a shelf, how often do you rinse and drain? Did you soak them first?

I keep them in my room which is very cold and dark because it's underground. Now that you've asked me all of this I realize that I'm not draining them properly. Should I tip it on it's side or completely upside down?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

you should tip them on its side. If you tip it upside down it won't drain properly. They also do best in a cabinet or something where it's completely dark. You should rinse and drain a couple of times a day and you should soak them overnight in cold water before you start. I also cover them with cheesecloth or a piece of muslin so they can completely drain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Look at my babies! (Started sprouting a mix of lentils and radish seeds yesterday!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That definitely doesn't sound right. Have you checked out sproutpeople.com? Even if you don't buy anything, they have awesome instructions for sprouting every kind of seed, bean or nut ever...

Here's how they say to do lentils:
Quote:
Yields approximately 1 Cup (1/2 lb.) of Sprouts

Seed Prep
Measure out 1/2 Cup of seed*
Rinse your seeds to remove dust or plant debris.

Soak
Transfer your seeds - if necessary - into your Sprouter, or a bowl.
Add 2-3 times as much cool (60-70 degree) water.
Mix seeds up to assure even water contact for all.
Allow seeds to Soak for 8-12 hours.

Sprouting
Empty the seeds into your Sprouter (if necessary).
Drain off the soak water.
You can use it - it has nutrients in it.

Rinse thoroughly with cool (60-70°) water.
Drain thoroughly.

Set your Sprouter anywhere out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (70° is optimal) between Rinses.
This is where your sprouts do their growing. We use a counter top - in the corner of our kitchen, but where the sprouter won't get knocked over by cats, dogs, kids or us.
We don't mind the indirect sunlight or the 150 watts of incandescent light, because light just does not matter much. Your Bean Sprouts will never have leaves, and a plant can only perform photosynthesis when it has leaves. Until then light has little if any effect, so don't hide your sprouts. Plus, they like air-circulation.

Rinse and Drain again in 8-12 hours.
And, once more...
Rinse and Drain again in 8-12 hours.
And, perhaps once more...
Rinse and Drain in 8-12 hours.

We stop no later than here. We like our sprouts small.
Typically, we sprout for just 2-4 Rinse and Drain cycles. At that point most of the seeds will have sprouted tiny (1/16 - 1/4 inch) roots.
That's the way we like our Bean Sprouts.

Depending on your climate and the time of year you are sprouting and most importantly your personal preference - You may Rinse and Drain again at 8-12 hour intervals for up to 6 days. We Do Not recommend doing so, unless you're doing a science experiment. Grow them for as long as you like. As long as you continue to Rinse and Drain every 8-12 hours. If you grow for a week you'll get some plants growing as well as roots. Experiment! Have Fun! It's All Good - if occasionally inedible @;-D

As always, we suggest that you taste your crop at EVERY Rinse - including the very first - just after the Soak period. The soaked seeds are already alive and super nutritious - and - they are without enzyme inhibitors (a very good thing indeed!) so they'll digest themselves and nourish you. So taste them often and find out for yourself when they are most delicious! That's when they're done.

Harvest
Your sprouts are done 8-12 hours after your final Rinse.
Be sure to Drain them as thoroughly as possible after that final Rinse.
The goal during the final 8-12 hours is to minimize the surface moisture of your sprouts - they will store best in your refrigerator if they are dry to the touch.

Refrigerate
Transfer your sprout crop to a plastic bag or the sealed container of your choice and put them in your refrigerator.
We offer Produce Storage Bags that will extend shelf life substantially.

*Seed to Use

* If using Sproutpeople's Single Harvest Pack - use the whole bag. It will produce a crop of approximately 8 ounces.

These seeds yield approximately 2:1 - so in theory you can start with up to as 1/2 as much dry seed as your Sprouter has capacity.
If you are new to sprouting, or new to this crop; we advise that you start with 1/4 - 1/3 of your Sprouter's capacity so that your sprouts have more room.
http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/peasant.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

1) sproutpeople is the shizzle with info for EVERY type of sprout

2) my sprouting life changed forever from slimey and moldy to unicorns and rainbows when i made myself a sprouting bag out of some cheap mesh fabric. no more slime, easy rinsing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I found this video useful

There are probably lots more out there. I'm interested in the sprouting bag Torque, I've seen that technique but never tried it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need to get into this for Molly. It seems so complicated though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
I need to get into this for Molly. It seems so complicated though.

Really? I don't think it is complicated at all! Just soak, then rinse once in the AM and once in the PM for a few days. Dry. Tah-dah!

I guess the only complicated thing is knowing how long to do the different types of sprouts for, but you can always just look it up on sproutpeople.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got some alfalfa going right now!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i figured i'd resurrect this thread since i got the 20 variety sampler pack from sproutpeople, and i'm actually kind of clueless as to what to do with most of the sprouts after they're done sprouting. i've only had experience with alfalfa and clover, and i put those on sandwiches. http://sproutpeople.org/sprouting-seed- ... 0-variety/

i saw in this other thread that jonny guitar would put lentil sprouts in stir fries. i can do that. :-)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22350

i'm going to try the peanuts next, since i don't want to have them go rancid on me. i guess i just eat them as is?

but what the heck? i thought wheatgrass was inedible to humans. i'm assuming the wheat is eaten immediately after the first signs of sprouting. i am SO not adventurous. i need a sprouting cookbook to tell me what to do with these unusual sprouts after they've sprouted.

oh. the easy sprouter is really nice. i like the use of centrifugal force to get excess water out. and it doesn't take up too much space on the counter.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my mom is into sprouting and bought me a sproutpeople sprouting kit. its basically a mason jar with a fine mesh screen over the opening. i have seeds like broccoli seeds and the like and she told me when you rinse them to shake the shiitake out of it to get all the water out.

i havent had any issues yet but ive not tried lentils

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no, wheat is super yummy. it's malt, basically- it gets super duper sweet. i used to use it more when i was doing raw. it's a nice sprout to eat as a snack (like an early sprouted pea). like buckwheat, you probably would only want to use it when the tail and sprout are very small- just a few days. i wouldn't eat it in the "grass" stage but that is where wheatgrass juice comes from...

I stir fry lentils a lot, in indian cuisine you can find great recipes. my go-to for some reason i can't seem to find, it's a dry stir fry with mustard seeds and scallions and turmeric and lemon juice, but this one looks good too. http://www.khanapakana.com/recipe/b1d33 ... ntil-curry

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

thanks, torque! :-) that's super helpful.