| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Freak Out About The Soy Yogurt Shortage Here!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

A friend who works in the dairy department of my coop (who I believe has some insider knowledge, since he'll be stocking it when it comes back), says he heard it'll be back in January! That's next month!!!

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I apologize if this post got anyone's hopes up about Whole Soy being back. It's not back in my stores yet. I am here to whine about needing to eat yogurt because I'm taking antibiotics (TMI: I want to avoid a yeast infection). I really dislike the So Delicious coconut yogurt. The texture is so odd! I want Whole Soy back!! A week of eating So Delicious is not going to be fun. I dream of eating Whole Soy lemon and lime flavors. Dream.......

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:06 pm 

katiejayne wrote:
I apologize if this post got anyone's hopes up about Whole Soy being back. It's not back in my stores yet. I am here to whine about needing to eat yogurt because I'm taking antibiotics (TMI: I want to avoid a yeast infection). I really dislike the So Delicious coconut yogurt. The texture is so odd! I want Whole Soy back!! A week of eating So Delicious is not going to be fun. I dream of eating Whole Soy lemon and lime flavors. Dream.......

The Megafood Megaflora probiotics are vegan, if you can find them anywhere! Just in case you wanted a non-yogurt option.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:24 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

The GoodBelly stuff is vegan too: http://www.goodbelly.com/vegan-probiotic/ I bought the StraightShots, which are fine, but I think the fruity flavored stuff would be much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks for the tips! I found vegan probiotics at my co-op but they are really expensive. The chocolate So Delicious is okay so I think I'll eat it for dessert all week!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Interesting update recently:

http://www.wholesoyco.com/blog/item/gea ... -re-launch

This stands out:

Quote:
Most of the multi-million dollar project has been funded by our company founders, but we are also very grateful to Whole Foods Market who helped us out immensely with a $400,000 loan at a crucial time. Not only did the loan help us finalize some of the yogurt facility installations and calibrations, but their overall commitment to the brand will aid the re-entry of WholeSoy back into the marketplace nationally. As always, we remain independently owned and are very excited that you will all soon have access to WholeSoy yogurts again in various retail locations throughout the US (and Canada).

That's a big loan... I hope it means that Whole Foods won't allow WholeSoy to fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i wonder whether they had to offer WF exclusive sale rights to the first batch or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I tried Nancy's cultured soy because I had to and after everything I'd read here I guess I was expecting something so bad I'd spit it out but it wasn't that bad. I would probably eat it again mixed with granola and berries. I got a blackberry one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made my own yogurt using the slow-cooker method the other day using So Delicious coconut as a base and unsweetened soymilk. It's fairly thin, but spoon-able and I'll be making another batch soon. I'm mostly using it in recipes and cheesemaking, so it works.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdfunks wrote:
I made my own yogurt using the slow-cooker method the other day using So Delicious coconut as a base and unsweetened soymilk. It's fairly thin, but spoon-able and I'll be making another batch soon. I'm mostly using it in recipes and cheesemaking, so it works.

I'm intrigued. Slow cookery things seem so much more accessible than other methods I've read about. Where can I get more info?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:05 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

solipsistnation wrote:
Interesting update recently:

http://www.wholesoyco.com/blog/item/gea ... -re-launch

This stands out:

Quote:
Most of the multi-million dollar project has been funded by our company founders, but we are also very grateful to Whole Foods Market who helped us out immensely with a $400,000 loan at a crucial time. Not only did the loan help us finalize some of the yogurt facility installations and calibrations, but their overall commitment to the brand will aid the re-entry of WholeSoy back into the marketplace nationally. As always, we remain independently owned and are very excited that you will all soon have access to WholeSoy yogurts again in various retail locations throughout the US (and Canada).

I've never seen WholeSoy yoghurt here in Ontario. When it does come back I hope they're bringing it to a store near me. Did they carry an unsweetened one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

shore did!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

I'm intrigued. Slow cookery things seem so much more accessible than other methods I've read about. Where can I get more info?

Here ya go! http://vegcharlottenc.com/2012/10/14/eu ... an-yogurt/ It's via Vegan Indian Cooking's method. I've made it three times so far: twice with great results, and once it did not set, so I tried again. Still didn't set, but was tangy. It's easy -- just a matter of patience and having 4 cups of nondairy milk and some yogurt to start with. I used coconut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdfunks wrote:
Moon wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

Here ya go! http://vegcharlottenc.com/2012/10/14/eu ... an-yogurt/ It's via Vegan Indian Cooking's method. I've made it three times so far: twice with great results, and once it did not set, so I tried again. Still didn't set, but was tangy. It's easy -- just a matter of patience and having 4 cups of nondairy milk and some yogurt to start with. I used coconut.

Oh, thank you! I hope it works with almond milk - I still haven't found a soy milk I really like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Moon wrote:

Oh, thank you! I hope it works with almond milk - I still haven't found a soy milk I really like.

Not to be a party pooper, but it probably won't work with almond milk. There is not enough protein in almond milk and the proteins help with coagulation. When I tried making yogurt with almond milk, I ended up with something more like kefir or buttermilk, which worked amazingly well in pancakes, but not so much as yogurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

DEG wrote:
Moon wrote:

Not to be a party pooper, but it probably won't work with almond milk. There is not enough protein in almond milk and the proteins help with coagulation. When I tried making yogurt with almond milk, I ended up with something more like kefir or buttermilk, which worked amazingly well in pancakes, but not so much as yogurt.

What about cashew? It seems to be Miyoko's go-to choice for her own process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jdfunks wrote:
DEG wrote:
Moon wrote:

What about cashew? It seems to be Miyoko's go-to choice for her own process.

i think the main difference is that in those recipes the cashews are finely blended into the liquid to make a cream, but almond milk is strained, so it doesn't have as much dissolved/suspended solids.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I just tried making soy yogurt with homemade (asian style) soymilk and acidophilus capsules. it was a COMPLETE failure. not sure if it is the beany soymilk (in the US i was using store bought, which has thickeners, i think) or the capsules. not sure how i feel about wasting more soymilk to try it again. the soymilk curdled and separated almost immediately, but it turned gray and looked like cheese. (like it got hard)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am 

I haven't seen this discussed yet. Stonyfield's O'Soy yogurt is now vegan again (some minimal googling shows that it might have been vegan several years ago?). They used to use a milk culture for their enzymes, but the package now says that it's certified vegan by vegan.org, which I trust. I got some to try today and I'll report back when I do, if anyone wants to know. I just thought it was interesting because they are obviously trying to fill a hole in the market left by WholeSoy. The drama with WholeSoy really sucks, but at least it's encouraged other companies to make more vegan products.

By the way, WholeSoy definitely told retailers that they'd have their product back in January, but we haven't gotten any yet. Not sure what's going on there, and there's no update on their blog.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 am 

Well that's good news about the O'Soy! I'll happily keep buying Whole Soy when they're back, but it annoyed me to see that looks-vegan-but-isn't stuff on the shelves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was just side eyeing that o'soy when I was at WF cursing it's not veganness. Great yo know!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

Wegmans has heard nothing about amande or Wholesoy coming back yet. We do share a distributor with Whole Foods, so I doubt we'd get it back any sooner than them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Stonyfield's FAQ still says that their O'Soy contains cultures grown on a dairy medium: http://www.stonyfield.com/faqs
Hopefully they just need to update it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Well, that's good news I guess, but I really only care about unsweetened yogurt. Meaning I still need Whole Soy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm 

I tried the vegan O'Soy, and it was disgusting. For some reason I really thought Stoneyfield would be on top of yogurt-making, but this was so bad. Gritty, watery, too sweet, and too... beany. Blech.

Come back to us, Whole Soy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next