| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Freak Out About The Soy Yogurt Shortage Here!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:53 am 
WRETCHED

I also had the jars one and gave up on it and bought one with a big container. I wish I had known the Instant Pot had a yogurt option because I have an instant pot but mine is older and doesn't do yogurt. If mine dies, I'd definitely get the one that does do yogurt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:16 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

linanil wrote:
I also had the jars one and gave up on it and bought one with a big container. I wish I had known the Instant Pot had a yogurt option because I have an instant pot but mine is older and doesn't do yogurt. If mine dies, I'd definitely get the one that does do yogurt.

I definitely would have gone the instantpot route were I not living with people that would absolutely cook meat in it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I actually make my yogurt in a big thermos-I just fill it with boiling water, put on the lid, let it sit and sterilize for 10 or 20 minutes, and dump it out a minute or two before I put the soymilk + cultures in there. This method has honestly never failed me! The thermos was a little more expensive than a yogurt maker, but it's easier to store and it has more than one use.

All that being said, tho, if I get an instapot I am sure I will go that route!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I used to do use a thermos, too. It worked great, but I found it a bit hard to get down to the bottom and clean it well (I was using one of those big quart-sized ones). I also found it a bit hard to get all of the yogurt out from the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:03 pm 

quagga wrote:
I used to do use a thermos, too. It worked great, but I found it a bit hard to get down to the bottom and clean it well (I was using one of those big quart-sized ones). I also found it a bit hard to get all of the yogurt out from the bottom.

I hear ya on both counts-I pour most of the yogurt out, then I cap it, turn it upside down, go amuse myself elsewhere a bit, and finish emptying it when I come back. I've found that the best way to clean it is just to fill it with water, let it soak a while, and then fill it again with soapy water, and rinse. It is, admittedly, not the MOST convenient, but I figure cleaning a yogurt maker would be just as bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I FINALLY had success making thick, creamy, solid and great tasting yoghurt after trying many many times. The trick really is to use a box of tetra packed soymilk that has nothing but soybeans and water. I used the culture for health starter which isn't cheap here in Canada, and the only plain soymilk I could find was the Edensoy brand at the special HFS and it was $4.99 a box. So not cheap yogurt. I will continue to try and find cheaper soymilk and try store bought coconut yoghurt to culture. Has anyone had success with that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:08 pm 
WRETCHED

I have no problem with random soy milk, but it has to be soy I believe. I just grab store brands most of the time, sometimes Silk if the store brand isn't available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 am 

Question for all you experienced yogurt makers! I made a batch of Artisan Vegan Cheese yogurt last night, which I've made with great results several times. I cultured it for about nine and a half hours, and when I tasted it this morning, it was thick but not tart. I'm a little concerned that maybe it didn't culture properly - but then, would it have thickened without the cultures? I mean, if it didn't culture, it would still just be basically soymilk, right?

Would be grateful for any thoughts anyone has!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 am 
WRETCHED

I found the right tartness level to be around 11 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:18 pm 

linanil wrote:
I found the right tartness level to be around 11 hours.

Thank you! I put it in for another 90 minutes, and it's definitely more tart now - I can tell that it did culture properly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:47 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Has anyone heard of Forager Project yogurt? I bought some at Whole Foods today. It is delicious! Excellent consistency, tang, taste

Cashew based. The container says "plant based" and the ingredients look vegan including specifically listing "live acting vegan cultures". It was $5.99 for a 24 oz container of plain, unsweetened. Unlike some other plain yogurts, there is no added sugar.

The very un-informative website is foragerproject.com It appears the yogurt is only being sold at Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Evie wrote:
Has anyone heard of Forager Project yogurt? I bought some at Whole Foods today. It is delicious! Excellent consistency, tang, taste

Cashew based. The container says "plant based" and the ingredients look vegan including specifically listing "live acting vegan cultures". It was $5.99 for a 24 oz container of plain, unsweetened. Unlike some other plain yogurts, there is no added sugar.

The very un-informative website is foragerproject.com It appears the yogurt is only being sold at Whole Foods.

I haven't seen it here in Los Angeles (Forager products appear to be sold in Vons and Bristol Farms stores here), but I did spot two new flavors of Kite Hill yogurt at Whole Foods yesterday: pineapple and key lime.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:53 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Evie wrote:

I just bought it this week at my local WF, I wasn't sure how local it was since it's made in SF but if you're getting it out in DC that's a good sign! I got a small strawberry to try out but was intrigued to note they have large tubs of unsweetened yogurt as well. If I like the strawberry I will try the plain with some cantaloupe or something like that!

I also came here to post that kite hill has two new flavors, key lime and pineapple. I tried key lime and it was pretty good, but my fave is still peach!

oh, derp, LFL beat me to it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I checked our WF and it wasn't there. It might be at the bigger WF that isn't too far from me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
I checked our WF and it wasn't there. It might be at the bigger WF that isn't too far from me.

If you're talking about Forager Project products, from checking their site, it appears that the Whole Foods in my area don't carry them, while a couple other supermarket chains do. I suggest checking the Forager site to see which stores near you might have them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:45 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I could not figure out how to search for which stores carried this from the company's website, but took a chance and the local WF had the unsweetened large ones and the small flavoured ones.
Will report back once the taste test is complete.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

in2insight wrote:
I could not figure out how to search for which stores carried this from the company's website, but took a chance and the local WF had the unsweetened large ones and the small flavoured ones.
Will report back once the taste test is complete.

Thank you!

The store locator is on this page:

http://foragerproject.com/where-to-buy/

However, it does not say how to find a specific product, just where the company's products are sold.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thank you for the link!
(Data is a tad outdated, still shows Fresh and Easy stores...)

But on the the yogurt.
Very creamy and smooth once it's stirred.
Pleasant tasting.
Not overly tart, which is a shame for my taste buds, but all in all a good unsweetened yogurt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:32 pm 

I agree. It's very creamy tasting, a little less tart. I've been eating it with weetabix cereal and berries for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I tried Kite Hill & it's actually good! I've never liked yoghurts in the US before but this stuff is great. So far I've tried peach and blueberry and I'll definitely be looking out for this key lime you speak of.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

KEY LIME!!!

Key lime was my absolute favorite Whole Soy yogurt, and I am doing cartwheels over Kite Hill's new key lime flavor. It's just perfect. I'm also crazy about vanilla, peach, and plain. I think I'm finally over my Whole Soy grief.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Blueberry and strawberry are my favorite Kite Hill flavors and I like Kite Hill better than Whole Soy. But I wish the plain Kite Hill was less sweet. Sometimes I need unsweetened yogurt to use in savory recipes and I haven't found a yogurt yet that fits that bill. Maybe the plain Forager Project yogurt will.

Recently I tried the strawberry and blueberry flavored Forager Project yogurts (I actually found them at Whole Foods so thank you In2insight for mentioning that the FP store locator is outdated) and I didn't care for them. Too fake tasting to my palate, and my husband agrees.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fake tasting as in artificial flavors, or not-actual-yogurt tasting? (Like how some recipes for "yogurt" call for making silken tofu taste sour?)

If it's like. . . fakey flavors. . . I need me some of that. I miss Yoplait dessert type yogurts because I'm trash.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oddspongeout wrote:
Fake tasting as in artificial flavors, or not-actual-yogurt tasting? (Like how some recipes for "yogurt" call for making silken tofu taste sour?)

If it's like. . . fakey flavors. . . I need me some of that. I miss Yoplait dessert type yogurts because I'm trash.

Yeah. As in artificial flavors. The ingredients say "natural flavors" but somehow they don't taste natural to me. They taste like fruit candy flavors. It's too bad, because these have less sugar than Kite Hill and if it weren't for the fake taste, I would prefer that.

ETA: I haven't had Yoplait in 22 years, but back in the early 1990s, I liked it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:13 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I tried the strawberry kite hill this morning and it might be my new fave'! I also found key lime at Whole Foods so I'll report back tomorrow - maybe I'll have a new fave'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next