| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Freak Out About The Soy Yogurt Shortage Here!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:21 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mars wrote:
What do you think one could do if it's not really going to be sunny or warm for 8 hours? AKA; we don't live in CA like you :(

I definitely think it's time to bust out with some homemade yogurtz.

I do it in my slow cooker! If you don't have a slow cooker, maybe you have an appliance that gives off heat that you can put it on? I've heard of people proofing bread on the top of their fridge or somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm still with the confusion of using yogurt to make yogurt. The reason this drought is so distressing is because I don't like coconut yogurt and there's no yogurt in the stores that is palatable to me any more. How do you make yogurt without yogurt?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:17 am 
WRETCHED

How do you use the slow cooker? Mine doesn't have a temp on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Sing it brothers and sisters!!!
Mars wrote:
What do you think one could do if it's not really going to be sunny or warm for 8 hours? AKA; we don't live in CA like you

i'm also freezing my dimples off.
i have a small cooler (holds a 6-pack of longnecks). I have a tupperware that holds the entire half gallon of soymilk. i heat that, whip in the yogurt (from 1/4 to 1 cup, i've tried them all, they all work), and throw the tupperware in the cooler with the hot water bottle, and a towel to fill up any extra space. i let it sit for 24 hours- usually the hot water bottle needs to be changed every 3 or 4. no, i don't get up in the night, i'm too old for that shiitake.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Sing it brothers and sisters!!!
Mars wrote:
What do you think one could do if it's not really going to be sunny or warm for 8 hours? AKA; we don't live in CA like you

i'm also freezing my dimples off.
i have a small cooler (holds a 6-pack of longnecks). I have a tupperware that holds the entire half gallon of soymilk. i heat that, whip in the yogurt (from 1/4 to 1 cup, i've tried them all, they all work), and throw the tupperware in the cooler with the hot water bottle, and a towel to fill up any extra space. i let it sit for 24 hours- usually the hot water bottle needs to be changed every 3 or 4. no, i don't get up in the night, i'm too old for that shiitake.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

annak wrote:
I feel like that weird annoying evangelist who won't go away, but ever since I started making my own soygurt as a result of this shortage I have enjoyed 'gurt that is faaaar tastier and cheaper (even if you put my labor at a decent rate per hour!) than anything I've been able to buy. (I liked soyade, but it was always a little thin and mine is now nice and thick).

I use the Artisan Vegan Cheese recipe, more or less.

I bought artisan vegan cheese back when it first came out but have been a little intimidated about trying things from it. I need to make this yogurt! We've been suffering hard from this yogurt shortage.

Anyone in NYC have any great yogurt finds? I got some Nancy's at whole foods and hated it, and it seemed really over priced. I was buying some of those new silk fruit cups, but they're just not what I want. Also tried the greek style almond and coconut cups, but again, not what I want (and so expensive!) I just want a big tub of decent plain or vanilla. Every time I go to trader joe's I hopefully check the refrigerated case. I'm pretty sure the day it (hopefully) returns I might cry and look like an insane person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I used torque's method a few weeks ago and it's brilliant! One question though, how do you get it to thicken? Mine is super runny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

mine has been pretty good-- the last batch was super thick (it doesn't seem to be directly correlated to how much starter i use either). BUT i do "decant" it and move it from one container to other containers, pouring off the "whey", of which there's usually at least a cup or so. i know the recipes with the cashews are meant to make it thicker, so you might want to try one.

yogurt makers, how many generations should i expect to get from one starter? will it just not work one time, or will it sort of thin out? i'm on #5, i think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Mars wrote:
What do you think one could do if it's not really going to be sunny or warm for 8 hours? AKA; we don't live in CA like you :(

I definitely think it's time to bust out with some homemade yogurtz.

We have a guest room! It's nice, there's even a 3' deep soaking tub and a bidet because I live in the quirkiest house!

In all seriousness, the temperature stuff kept me from trying it for years. But you really just need to keep it a little warm without getting too hot. Maybe take a tip from Alton Brown and get a lizard warming light (he uses it to dehydrate stuff without buying a separate dehydrator, which is effing brilliant IMO)? Or the warm water/cooler trick sounds good.. On top of the fridge should be kinda warm-ish as well, or you could maybe put the slow cooker on warm, pour in a water bath, and leave the lid off?

This is a good AB if you don't mind discussion/use of cow's milk. Temperature talk about 7min in. AB uses an electric heating pad, which I had to buy for my home birth anyway so I should dig it out in case it ever stops being the right temperature on my deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jaUw4HIM9Y

Re cashews: I find that after soaking the cashews, it really doesn't matter whether they're roasted/salted/etc. I use them interchangably, because I'm a Bad Vegan and can't be asparagussed to keep all different kinds around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:24 pm 

This is the crock pot method I use:

http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2010/08/home ... crock-pot/

It's a little more difficult than annak's method but really not hard. I used a probiotic capsule instead of starting with storebought yogurt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

WHAT!!! IN THE CROCKPOT! mind blown.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ugh... I was at Whole Foods today and looked to see if there were any new nondairy yogurts to fill in for WholeSoy and they had the Nancy's brand for the first time. I've never had it before and I needed some bacterial cultures for a batch of yogurt I'm making so I bought some of the plain.

Oh my... it tastes so bad. Hopefully it won't be too prominent in my finished yogurt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You can really make yogurt in anything that will keep it slightly warm. A cooler with a heating pad works awesome, but even just wrapping towels around the warmed mixture will suffice.

I used to make soy yogurt every week or so, but lately it seems like too much time and effort. And everything needs to be spotlessly clean and sanitized, and the state of my kitchen is not really conducive to that at the moment.

Hopefully the shortage will end soon. I found slightly larger (16 oz) containers of so delicious plain coconut yogurt, which was pretty decent but still pretty sweet tasting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
Huffs Nooch

mr.zaatar wrote:
Ugh... I was at Whole Foods today and looked to see if there were any new nondairy yogurts to fill in for WholeSoy and they had the Nancy's brand for the first time. I've never had it before and I needed some bacterial cultures for a batch of yogurt I'm making so I bought some of the plain.

Oh my... it tastes so bad. Hopefully it won't be too prominent in my finished yogurt.

We tried the Nancy's for the first time too. I was so excited when I found it at Whole Foods, and haaaaated it. Ugh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:56 pm 

I tried the cashew yogurt recipe in Artisan Vegan Cheese a few days ago. I have no idea what went wrong, but I failed spectacularly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just want to say that I am still sad about the soy yogurt shortage. The time frame has been unfortunately long. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Fee wrote:
I'm still with the confusion of using yogurt to make yogurt. The reason this drought is so distressing is because I don't like coconut yogurt and there's no yogurt in the stores that is palatable to me any more. How do you make yogurt without yogurt?

I don't understand either.....I think this silk tastes pretty good, but it is all fruity. The almond and coconut are so gross. Don't you want to start with a plain starter? One that tastes ok? Or do you need just a small amount of whatever for the probotics that are in it, and the taste will not matter?

confuuuuuuuused. I have never attempted to make yogurt before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i started mine with sweet vanilla flavored soy yogurt. i seem to remember someone else starting with a fruit flavored one. as long as you have the live cultures, you are diluting the flavored stuff down to, dare i say, almost homeopathic levels....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

torque wrote:
i started mine with sweet vanilla flavored soy yogurt. i seem to remember someone else starting with a fruit flavored one. as long as you have the live cultures, you are diluting the flavored stuff down to, dare i say, almost homeopathic levels....

Homeopathic yogurt flicks the weasel!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

http://www.wholesoyco.com/blog/item/who ... s-november

Quote:
We're so close to re-launching!

The next two weeks are the most critical in determining our exact re-launch date, but as soon as we have a firm date for that first shipment, we will let you know. Feel free to wish us luck and success during this exciting testing phase!

Even with our longer than expected absence the demand is incredibly high for WholeSoy! To most efficiently get soy yogurt back onto store shelves (and also into your soon to be happier tummies), the first few weeks will be dedicated to making our 6 oz. individual cup flavors. We will start rolling out the large 24 oz. tubs as soon as possible shortly after and we will provide details along the way. Not to worry, all your favorite flavors will be available again in the coming weeks using the same recipe, same packaging, and of course the same certifications will apply (Organic, Non-GMO Verified, Vegan, Kosher Pareve) not to mention our facility is totally dairy-free and gluten-free!

So yay!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

solipsistnation wrote:
http://www.wholesoyco.com/blog/item/wholesoy-returns-this-november

Quote:
We're so close to re-launching!

The next two weeks are the most critical in determining our exact re-launch date, but as soon as we have a firm date for that first shipment, we will let you know. Feel free to wish us luck and success during this exciting testing phase!

Even with our longer than expected absence the demand is incredibly high for WholeSoy! To most efficiently get soy yogurt back onto store shelves (and also into your soon to be happier tummies), the first few weeks will be dedicated to making our 6 oz. individual cup flavors. We will start rolling out the large 24 oz. tubs as soon as possible shortly after and we will provide details along the way. Not to worry, all your favorite flavors will be available again in the coming weeks using the same recipe, same packaging, and of course the same certifications will apply (Organic, Non-GMO Verified, Vegan, Kosher Pareve) not to mention our facility is totally dairy-free and gluten-free!

So yay!

yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got some free Nancy's Soy yogurt from work and, whoa, it's so tart! Seriously cannot wait for WholeSoy to be back.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I miss the unsweetened kind so much. I may cry when I get my first tub!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I attempted to make flaxmilk yogurt. No luck. Don't know if it was the cultures or the flaxmilk not allowing for such a thing. Anyone else tried flax?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 pm 

Lycophyte, it didn't work for me either. I tried to do it using the Good Karma flax milk. Could have been user error, though! (Although I'm successful with my homemade almond milk)

Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next