| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Freak Out About The Soy Yogurt Shortage Here!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

This is really such a disaster. I don't like the...NuSilk. The only thing that's good about it is that it freezes pretty nicely. (I like yogurt super cold and I forget them in there roughly all the time and that actually had a nice texture when mostly frozen compared to the other yogurts.)

It's so expensive though. Am I imagining that it's more expensive than Silk Classic? Also it makes my mouth tingle, which isn't the fault of the yogurt, but is annoying. I wrote them to ask if they use beets in it (after calling their profoundly unhelpful 800 number) and they said they don't, so who knows what it is. I'm probably just allergic to disappointment.

Why did Silk change everything?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I specifically miss lime yogurt. Silk or Whole Soy, either one.

Me too! The Whole Soy lime and lemon were my favorite. Best breakfast for work! I keep looking at the Co-op, at least now I can stop looking for awhile since we know it will be awhile until it's back. I hope that our Co-op doesn't end up not keeping a space for it though.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Lemon is my favorite but cherry is a close second. Interestingly my favorite pregan yogurts were always strawberry and blueberry and as a vegan I always skip those flavors. I wouldn't skip you now, strawberry and blueb soy yogurt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Did anyone ever have the Whole Soy frozen yogurt? They made a dulce de leche flavor that was pretty good. I haven't seen it for years and it looks like they stopped making it way before this yogurt debacle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really liked their frozen yogurt, but yeah, they stopped making it a million years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I maintain that the Whole Soy frozen yogurt is the best store bought vegan ice cream I've ever had, and I'm not excluding coconut ice cream, which didn't exist back then.

But regular old unfrozen soy yogurt? I'm missing that pretty fiercely too.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We should write and ask them to make it again. I saw it mentioned in some of the comments on their blog.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What about Wildwood Soy Yogurt? I haven't had that in so long! Is it kaput? Any sightings?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I would guess that they all used the same contract packing company.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

blondiefk wrote:
Did anyone ever have the Whole Soy frozen yogurt? They made a dulce de leche flavor that was pretty good. I haven't seen it for years and it looks like they stopped making it way before this yogurt debacle.

I LOVED THAT STUFF SO MUCH.
It was my #1 favorite ice cream and I loved it so much. The chocolate hazelnut was my favorite flavor, and I still miss it. They stopped making it years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

They did say in response to the blog comment about the frozen yogurt they would consider making it again.

Get to that letter writing people! Let them know we want it back!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

I don't mind the Almond Dream for now but it's expensive (but less so than the coconut milk ones). I do miss the heck out of cheap TJ's soy yogurt though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yeah that Wildwood stuff was my favorite, the unsweetened was actually tart! sometimes the consistency would be weird though but in general I didn't care because I pretty much never just ate it straight anyway - we fed it to our baby and used it in recipes. That disappeared from all my local stores months before this Whole Soy thing, and just when I'd gotten over that and decided I could live with Whole Soy, this debacle happened!

so, now I buy the So Delicious Coconut plain and our baby eats it, even though it's sweeter than I'd like. Whenever I decide I'm gonna need some not-sweet yogurt for a recipe, I take a big spoonful of the coconut stuff and mix it into unsweetened soymilk and let it culture. It's worked thus far, even used it to sub for the yogurt in one of those artisanal cheese recipes.

I miss the higher protein content of the cheap TJs/Whole Soy stuff! and this really sucks for all you folks who like to eat it straight-up too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Wildwood had uneven quality issues, after buying my 3rd or 4th moldy (pink mold!) container, we gave up on wildwood but even they disappeared. Whole soy was my favorite then Silk. Damn Silk which stopped producing just to spite me I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Can I just say, why the hell does one need 51249067813467 types of greek yogurt? Even in the ice cream case? All these types of yogurt mean that we have 0 types of soy yogurt, and 0 vegan ice cream in our supermarket, which used to have all sorts of stuff. Not cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

No kidding, huh? Greek yogurt is cool, sure, but DAMN. Welcome to the bandwagon. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I like Almond Dream pretty well, but I'd rather have 6g of protein than 1g.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it's a bummer. my trader joe's and earthfare do not have whole soy anymore. i manged to get a bit at earthfare before whole soy shut down again. i've switched to coconut based so delicious yogurt. i'm not a huge fan of coconut but the strawberry banana flavor is AWESOME! what's not awesome is that it is $1.99 per cup :(

i've seen the silk yogurt at kroger, but i don't buy it because i'm picky about certain gmo stuff. i will however stuff as many vegan (hot sweet chili flavor?) doritos into my mouth as i can ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:
i've seen the silk yogurt at kroger, but i don't buy it because i'm picky about certain gmo stuff. i will however stuff as many vegan (hot sweet chili flavor?) doritos into my mouth as i can ;)

Silk says that their soybeans are non-GMO: http://silk.com/faqs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
Chip Strong

Everytime I go to the coop, I look for Wholesoy to reappear.
And everytime, I am heartbroken.

I don't think this stretch will hurt their business (other than missing a bunch of months worth of sales), because clearly they are the only company that makes a great vegan yogurt. Even if stores are pissed about it, they will bring it back when there is a demand.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Because I'm a crazy person, I actually emailed Wildwood a couple months ago. That stuff was my favorite, and after a couple months of sporadically being on and off the shelves, it went away. Here is the sad sad response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! In regards to your inquiry, the Unsweetened Plain and the Vanilla Soyogurts were discontinued as of December 17th, 2012. All other flavored Soyogurts were discontinued in March 2013. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns that you may have in the future.

Sincerely,

Komonique P
Consumer Services Department
800-588-7782
www.wildwoodfoods.com
www.montereygourmetfoods.com

Broken hearted. We found Whole Soy pretty okay, and it certainly grew on us as we became more dependent. And now there is absolutely no unsweetened plain option. I'm not totally anti fruit yogurts, but I like (a) having a large container in order to use the yogurt in many ways and get the best bang for my buck and (b) I can use unsweetened plain for adding fruit as a snack, eating with Indian food, or even cooking with. I was so thrown off by my gross almond greek yogurt run in last week that we just bought coconut keifer in order to get some probiotics this week (but still can't cook with the stuff).

I think I might have to break down and buy a yogurt maker. I really hate the idea of a one-use appliance, but I clearly need this as a part of my diet and I can't keep on waiting. Has anyone used their yogurt makers to make anything else? Haha.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

you don't need a yogurt maker. just keep the yogurt warm on a heating pad or wrapped in towels with a hot water bottle or wrapped in a heated throw, or in your oven with the pilot light on......whatever works :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

paperweight wrote:
This is really such a disaster. I don't like the...NuSilk. The only thing that's good about it is that it freezes pretty nicely. (I like yogurt super cold and I forget them in there roughly all the time and that actually had a nice texture when mostly frozen compared to the other yogurts.)

It's so expensive though. Am I imagining that it's more expensive than Silk Classic? Also it makes my mouth tingle, which isn't the fault of the yogurt, but is annoying. I wrote them to ask if they use beets in it (after calling their profoundly unhelpful 800 number) and they said they don't, so who knows what it is. I'm probably just allergic to disappointment.

Why did Silk change everything?

I'm clearly in the minority here because I actually like the NuSilk a lot (but I have a pretty fierce sweet tooth, so. . . there's that. . . ) and am intrigued by freezing it. How long do you freeze it? Does it have the texture of soft-serve froyo?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I thought I was imagining things with the soy yogurt shortage! Good to know I wasn't crazy or just missing the one day a week they sell soy yogurt or something.

I switched to the almond greek style yogurt since it sort of tastes like pudding. Not nearly as good, but it wasn't too bad. No way I'd want to eat it with granola though which is how I loved my soy yogurt in the mornings or for an afternoon snack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

Do they sell any types soy yogurt in big tubs at Whole Foods or was Whole Soy and Wildwood pretty much the only brands?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next