| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What To Do With Rutabaga?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:27 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

We actually call it Swede in the UK, Rutabaga is such an odd word, but then Swede is odd too, did we used to get it from Sweden or are we saying it looks Swedish or that Swedish people look like Rutabagas???...

Anyway, how do you like to cook it? I usually stick it in stew or make a traditional English dish of swede and carrots which is basically the 2 vegetables smashed together like you'd make mashed potatoes. I also made the Rutabaga Fries recipe from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way.

I have 2 rather large swedes/rutabagas in the fridge right now and would love something new to try with them.

Thanks!

Anna

I can't think of a single interesting quote to put in this space...

Post subject: Re: What To Do With Rutabaga?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:40 am 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

Try the rutabaga puree from VCON. It's soo good, except I will leave out the cilantro the next time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i really like mashed rutabaga. i imagine it's basically the same as the puree. it's just like making mashed potatoes, but rutabaga has a different, nice flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

thanks, I was kind of looking for something that would mask the flavour a bit, it's a pretty strong taste for kids and it puts them off I think...

Will look at the VCON recipe though, thanks!

Anna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You can roast it with a bunch of other veggies - parsnips, potatoes, carrots, turnips, leeks, beets, etc. It makes a good 'cream' soup, too.

I like to cut rutabaga into sticks and eat it raw for a snack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 am 
Semen Strong

I think we should all hail Rutabaga and send her lots of good thoughts and cookies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Anna wrote:
We actually call it Swede in the UK, Rutabaga is such an odd word, but then Swede is odd too, did we used to get it from Sweden or are we saying it looks Swedish or that Swedish people look like Rutabagas???

I think I read once that they were first introduced to England in the 18th century by way of Scandinavia, and that's why they're called swedes. I don't know if it's true or not!
Anna wrote:
Anyway, how do you like to cook it? I usually stick it in stew or make a traditional English dish of swede and carrots which is basically the 2 vegetables smashed together like you'd make mashed potatoes.

This is exactly the way my (English) mother used to make them; both she and my dad loved it. Personally, I've never cared for swede, although I actually married one; perhaps it's not surprising that it didn't work out!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:35 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Anna wrote:
We actually call it Swede in the UK, Rutabaga is such an odd word, but then Swede is odd too, did we used to get it from Sweden or are we saying it looks Swedish or that Swedish people look like Rutabagas???

Haw! Less of your 'UK' there, missus! In Scotland, at least the part that I come from, it's normally known as turnip. Or, perhaps, a tumshie. Those other things are swedes. Allegedly, the name 'rutabaga' comes from a corruption of the Swedish for 'red bag'. I don't recall where I read that, though. (don't you just love language?)

I just like 'em mashed and smashed as a side to haggis :) They were also what we used to carve jack-o-lanterns out of, not having pumpkins around so much. But that's less useful from a cooking stance, I guess!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish wrote:
I think we should all hail Rutabaga and send her lots of good thoughts and cookies.

hehe, I was thinking the same thing when I read the thread title.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Actually, every time I see the word 'rutabaga', other than thinking of the ppk-er, I automatically get the very end of 'cookie monster in the library' in my head... "how about rutabagas?!?!" heheh

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I always thought turnip and rutabaga were the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:05 pm 

My mom always put it in beef stew and now I put it in veggie stew. It's great with all the other root veggies. I just found a recipe today that I wrote down months ago for a rutabaga gratin using cashew cream. I can post it if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Rach*n wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

hehe, I was thinking the same thing when I read the thread title.

As the rutabaga formerly known as Rutabaga I can say that I am doing well and currently in the witness protection program living under a new name. But someday I will testify against the terror committed against my fellow rutabagas!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

interrobang?! wrote:
Haw! Less of your 'UK' there, missus! In Scotland, at least the part that I come from, it's normally known as turnip. Or, perhaps, a tumshie. Those other things are swedes. Allegedly, the name 'rutabaga' comes from a corruption of the Swedish for 'red bag'. I don't recall where I read that, though. (don't you just love language?)

So you call turnips swedes and swedes turnips in Scotland? I'm confused. The word rutabaga comes from rotabagge (liiteral meaning here would be root ram) which is a dialectal (south western) Swedish word for the root in question. The standard Swedish word for them is kålrot (literally cabbage root).

I often used to nibble on bits of raw rutabaga when I was little. I still do sometimes. I also like them roasted (with other roots) or in the Finnish Christmas casserole (I guess you'd call it) kålrotslåda or lanttulaatikko (Swedish/Finnish name).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 pm 
Mediocre Tart

fruitbat wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

So you call turnips swedes and swedes turnips in Scotland? I'm confused. The word rutabaga comes from rotabagge (liiteral meaning here would be root ram) which is a dialectal (south western) Swedish word for the root in question. The standard Swedish word for them is kålrot (literally cabbage root).

I often used to nibble on bits of raw rutabaga when I was little. I still do sometimes. I also like them roasted (with other roots) or in the Finnish Christmas casserole (I guess you'd call it) kålrotslåda or lanttulaatikko (Swedish/Finnish name).

Yip, we like to mix it up here, it seems! That's really interesting about about the translation/root of the word. I can't imagine eating it raw!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I'm a purist and just steam/boil and mash.

You could just mash with potatoes, one to one. That certainly would tame the rutabega flavor a bit.

Otherwise...PASTIES! Make a veggie pasty with pie crust, veg ground roung, diced potatoes and rutabegas. In my world, its not a pasty without a rutabega.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:32 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Quote:

I just like 'em mashed and smashed as a side to haggis :) They were also what we used to carve jack-o-lanterns out of, not having pumpkins around so much. But that's less useful from a cooking stance, I guess!

pardon my lumping Scotland in with England (and I also apologise to anyone Welsh), I don't know why I do it, I think I type UK as it's quicker than typing England but from now on I shall refer to each country on its own.

Were people of the Swedish persuasion blind in the past when naming vegetables? Swedes (the vegetable obviously, not the residents of Sweden) are a little bit purple, never seen one anywhere remotely near red. Unless of course they used to be red and in order to grow standardised bug free swede the red had been bred out of them over the years...

I think handing a 7 year old a knife and letting him loose on a swede/turnip/rutabaga/tumshie probably isn't the greatest idea, maybe when he's 8...

Ta

Anna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Catalina wrote:
My mom always put it in beef stew and now I put it in veggie stew. It's great with all the other root veggies. I just found a recipe today that I wrote down months ago for a rutabaga gratin using cashew cream. I can post it if you like.

that sounds like it could be tasty, I'd love to see the recipe.

Thanks!

Anna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 am 
Saggy Butt

I love it roasted by itself with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. It's so good that I'll eat a whole pan full and then my tummy hurts...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I pretty much only ever eat it raw in tweaked versions of this http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515754 but I don't think it would work for your kids. Just throwing it out there for anyone searching for rutabaga recipes. We love it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:43 am 
Flounceiad 2011

interrobang?! wrote:
Actually, every time I see the word 'rutabaga', other than thinking of the ppk-er, I automatically get the very end of 'cookie monster in the library' in my head... "how about rutabagas?!?!" heheh

This is my #1, all-time, favorite Cookie Monster sketch: "BOOKS! Just books! No cookies! Just BOOKS!!!"

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganMeredith wrote:
I always thought Thessaly and rutabaga were the same thing.

FIFY. ;P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Phoenix wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:
I always thought Thessaly and rutabaga were the same thing.

FIFY. ;P

hahaha, win!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 pm 

Anna wrote:
Catalina wrote:

that sounds like it could be tasty, I'd love to see the recipe.

Thanks!

Anna

Rutabaga Gratin

Cashew Cream:
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. raw cashews
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast

Gratin:
2 small rutabagas (1 1/2 lbs.), peeled and sliced 1/8 in. thick
salt and pepper
4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
4 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram
1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. olive oil

- Make cream by pouring boiling water over cashews, let sit for 15 minutes. Puree with nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Cover an 8 in. round casserole or cake pan with one layer of rutabaga slices, overlapping as you go. Season with some of the salt, pepper, herbs, and nutmeg. Add another layer if rutabaga slices, more herbs, and drizzle with 1/3 cashew cream. Continue layering and adding cream. Top with breadcrumbs if desired. Place pan on cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This recipe is from Vegetarian Time I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lycophyte wrote:
I'm a purist and just steam/boil and mash.

You could just mash with potatoes, one to one. That certainly would tame the rutabega flavor a bit.

Otherwise...PASTIES! Make a veggie pasty with pie crust, veg ground roung, diced potatoes and rutabegas. In my world, its not a pasty without a rutabega.

Yeah, my mum used to mash it with potato so we'd eat it. I don't have any more recipe suggestions though.