| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Decent houmous recipe request
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but how much chickpeas is a can of chickpeas? Either in metric or Americups.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

1 and 1/2 cups in a can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Karena wrote:
My tip for tasty hummus is to use roasted garlic instead of raw, and add half to a whole bulb. We have really hard water here, so I add bicarb of soad to the soaking water, and a little to the cooking water, with sea salt and a couple of bay leaves. I also add a dash of cayenne pepper to my hummus.

Your hard water comment just made a little light bulb go off in my head because I just moved and have NOT been able to cook beans, even after soaking overnight, in under 4-5 hours. It's absurd. Maybe I have hard water too! I remembered the baking soda trick and have been doing that out of desperation, but I hate doing that when I don't intend to puree the beans. Baking soda seems to take them from hard as rocks to mush in a really short amount of time.

What do you do when you just want whole, cooked beans?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Check out my pumpkin and avocado hummus recipe www.hellykellysbelly.com
There is also a traditional hummus recipe. Lots of olive oil and tahini is the key.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

ashley wrote:
Karena wrote:
My tip for tasty hummus is to use roasted garlic instead of raw, and add half to a whole bulb. We have really hard water here, so I add bicarb of soad to the soaking water, and a little to the cooking water, with sea salt and a couple of bay leaves. I also add a dash of cayenne pepper to my hummus.

Your hard water comment just made a little light bulb go off in my head because I just moved and have NOT been able to cook beans, even after soaking overnight, in under 4-5 hours. It's absurd. Maybe I have hard water too! I remembered the baking soda trick and have been doing that out of desperation, but I hate doing that when I don't intend to puree the beans. Baking soda seems to take them from hard as rocks to mush in a really short amount of time.

Before I found out about the baking soda trick I hated my own cooked beans because the skins were so tough - I just used to stick with canned. What I do to make sure the beans don't get mushy is add about a tablespoon of baking soda to the soaking water, then when they're done soaking, drain them, but don't rinse them, and I don't add any baking soda to the cooking water at all. Towards the end of cooking time, depending on the type of bean, sometimes the skins might still be too tough, in which case I add a *tiny* amount of baking soda - maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon - and cook them for an extra minute or two, and then the skins are tender but the beans still aren't mushy. I also used to think adding salt to the cooking water toughens the skins, but then I read somewhere that isn't true, so I always add a little salt to the soaking and cooking water now, and the beans are definitely tastier.

With this method chickpeas cook in about 20-30 minutes, so they definitely shouldn't take 4-5 hours!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Holy moly I just did the baking soda thing after reading this whole thread - I cook my beans in the slow cooker on high for 2 hours after a mininum 6 hour soak. I added baking soda straight to the cooker and they were done much faster and I have the bestest hummus ever, I also used the cooking water to thicken. HOW have I gone 30 years not knowing this? I have 30 years of sub-par hummus to make up for!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Karena wrote:
ashley wrote:
Karena wrote:

Before I found out about the baking soda trick I hated my own cooked beans because the skins were so tough - I just used to stick with canned. What I do to make sure the beans don't get mushy is add about a tablespoon of baking soda to the soaking water, then when they're done soaking, drain them, but don't rinse them, and I don't add any baking soda to the cooking water at all. Towards the end of cooking time, depending on the type of bean, sometimes the skins might still be too tough, in which case I add a *tiny* amount of baking soda - maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon - and cook them for an extra minute or two, and then the skins are tender but the beans still aren't mushy. I also used to think adding salt to the cooking water toughens the skins, but then I read somewhere that isn't true, so I always add a little salt to the soaking and cooking water now, and the beans are definitely tastier.

With this method chickpeas cook in about 20-30 minutes, so they definitely shouldn't take 4-5 hours!

This is super helpful, thank you!! I haven't thought to add baking soda to the soaking water. I've always just added it to the cooking water. Definitely doing it your way next time. I have been using Rancho Gordo beans, so I know they're fresh. It has to be the water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:09 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Wow, this thread is blowing my mind. I also thought that cooking beans from dry was just something people with the patience of a saint and nothing to do all day did. As yeah the one time I made beans from dry I soaked them over night and cooked them for about 8 hours only to still have tough crunchy and also mushy at the same time beans. I threw them out and never tried again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

It's not labeled a hummus/houmous, but the Pimiento Cheese Spread in Vegan Crunk is essentially all the ingredients in a hummus, and is one of the BEST hummus-type dips I've EVER had. Doesn't remind me much of cheese at all, but just a flavorful and creamy hummus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:34 am 
Tofu Pup

Hummus is different things to different people. Read this to see what I mean.http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ect-hummus
I have a few recipes on my blog that you might want to try out but you really have to find what is right for you.