| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do with celery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I get an organic veg bag delivered (although only until the end of this month as they're stopping deliveries, booo!), and I also get a half bag on behalf of my boyfriend, who is making an effort to eat more healthily.

I am not a big fan of celery, apart from I think it adds something to a chilli (not traditional, I know!) but I will eat it, whereas he will pick bits out of anything he eats, he loathes it so much. We BOTH got celery in this week's bag.

I've offered a bunch to local friends on fb, but no takers so far. Does anyone know any amazing recipes, preferably not too spendy, ideally freezable too? I like most other veg, although I am not a big fan of aubergine.

PS - please feel free to point me in the direction of the 'here's what to do with celery!' thread, I couldn't find one when I searched.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post subject: Re: What to do with celery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I like to use it in cajun recipes as part of the holy trinity: onion, green pepper, celery. My favorite jambalaya is the seitanic red and white bean jambalaya in V'con. The butternut one in AFR is very nice too, and easier to make. Vegandad has an awesome gumbo recipe. I like to use broccoli instead of okra (sacriledge, I know). Both recipes freeze really well.

BTW if you just chop the celery and freeze it, you can keep it longer and have more time to use it up. It becomes a little mushy after thawing, but that just helps it cook faster.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Thanks cornelie, that's really helpful! I knew the PPK wouldn't let me down!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 am 
Ninja Master

Celery is devil food, bin it.

Alternatively chop it tiny and put it in soup. It's not so bad if it's cooked for ages and (more importantly) drowned out by awesome stuff.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Dip it into things. Hummus, that kind of thing.

Coat it with peanut butter and raisins.

Freeze it and throw it at people you don't like.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

This thread makes me think of Chelsea chanting songs and I feel quite childish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:36 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Soup! Celery and and apple soup with a nice hit of curry. No recipe, just chop it, saute it with an onion, a couple of apples and curry paste/powder, s & p, then boil it in stock and whatever milk til squishy. Puree in a blender. Done!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Cream of celery soup. Stuff it with things like nut butter, vegan cream cheese, hummous or other bean spreads and dips. Make a celery heavy vegetable broth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

ANTS ON A STICK! ANTS ON A STICK! ANTS ON A STICK!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I used to hate celery til I was watching a Chinese documentary film and a woman was being interviewed as she cooked. She made a simple stir fry of celery, which sounds like the most disgusting thing, but I was DROOLING. I copied it for dinner the next day and was amazing, I make it all the time now.
This is a similar recipe
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vegetab ... celery.htm
mine is much simpler- peanut oil til smoking in the wok, add garlic, slant-sliced celery, bite sized pieces, saute til it's a bit softer, throw a little wine or soy sauce in it to deglaze, add salt if you didn't use soy sauce. could have chilis or not, or even szechuan pepper, or ginger. super simple, very very good with chilis or even just a squirt of sriracha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 pm 

That does sound good, torque. There's the added bonus that I already have those ingredients.

Thanks for the other suggestions, everyone. I will report back! (bet you're all on the edge of your seats with bated breath now!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Great ideas! Dropscone, celery keeps for months stored in a plastic bag in your refrigerator's crisper, so you don't need to use it all up this week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm 

Jill wrote:
Great ideas! Dropscone, celery keeps for months stored in a plastic bag in your refrigerator's crisper, so you don't need to use it all up this week.

Ah, does it? That's interesting. My mum gave me a beetroot fresh from her allotment a couple of weeks ago and it's already gone soft. I'm not very good about keeping times for uncooked veg, I just panic and try to eat it all within a week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love to sauté celery with onions and carrots for stuffing, it's great in stir-frys, and things like potato/tofu/chickpea salads. You could also use a bunch by making your own vegetable stock. Good luck using it all up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

dropscone wrote:
Jill wrote:

Ah, does it? That's interesting. My mum gave me a beetroot fresh from her allotment a couple of weeks ago and it's already gone soft. I'm not very good about keeping times for uncooked veg, I just panic and try to eat it all within a week.

Beets should keep for even longer than celery, so something wasn't right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I always find celery goes soft in the crisper. I like to cut the bottom end off and stick the whole bunch in a cup of water upright in the fridge. The water will keep going up the celery veins and keep it crisp for a really long time.

I like loads of finely diced celery in tempeh or chickpea mayo-y salad. Also love celery as part of the holy trinity and you can actually chop it up and freeze it to pull out when you come across Cajun recipes. My favorite is the corn and okra étouffée in The Ethnic Vegetarian. Celery is also essential in chik'n soup, best if you can also get ahold of dill!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jill wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Jill wrote:

Beets should keep for even longer than celery, so something wasn't right.

My beets always go soft in the crisper pretty quickly. I read somewhere recently (can't for the life of me remember where) that this is common, but I don't understand why. They're so hard when you buy them!

Also, good tip on keeping celery in water, Ariann! Mine goes soft quickly as well, so I'll be trying that. I don't buy celery often, just sometimes for soups or faux tuna salads, and those only call for a little bit. Good to know I can extend the longevity in some way!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mirepoix also uses celery. (with onions and carrots) usually as a base for soup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 am 
Chard Martyr

I hate celery, especially cooked in soups and stir-frys and stuff, but it's somewhat acceptable finely chopped in eggless egg salad. My mum also makes a celery cashew soup but it is blended so you don't have to deal with those mushy stringy little crassholes of grossness. It's pretty tasty and deceivingly simple. Just a bunch of cooked celery, garlic, onion, and simple seasonings pureed with vegetable stock and cashews and finished with a little bit of lemon juice. I always add cayenne to my bowl.

I get tonnes of that shizzle from my CSA too. We always have fake tantrums when we open our box and see nothing but a huge thing of celery surrounded by far more lettuce than we can possibly go through. Then we catch a glimpse of the pint of blueberries, gorgeous beets, and tomatoes and all is right in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Grill it and use it for a salad: http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/grilled-celery-salad-tarragon-dressing-recipe-clv0712

This salad is yummy and grilling it changes the flavor. I use vegan parmesan cheese in the dressing instead of on top and it is wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 pm 

Among the modern conveniences I don't own, a grill is high up in the list of ones I would like. Also there: dishwasher, stand mixer, tumble drier. I think grill is the highest though. I also don't have a microwave, because when I had one I never used it and the innards ended up mouldy.

Otherwise that is probably a recipe I would try!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I always buy it for one thing, then I end up letting it go soft in the fridge. I'm not a huge celery fan either.

So, I always use it when I make stock. I notice a difference when I don't use it now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Only thing I ever do with celery is make a veggie stock. I throw carrots, celery, onion, tomato, bay leaves, parsley, mushrooms if I have them on hand, salt and pepper in my crock pot so I dont have to check on it all day. Also good for using up any veggie scraps you have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Wallace22 wrote:
Soup! Celery and and apple soup with a nice hit of curry. No recipe, just chop it, saute it with an onion, a couple of apples and curry paste/powder, s & p, then boil it in stock and whatever milk til squishy. Puree in a blender. Done!

Mmmmm, this sounds good! I'm going to remember this recipe.

I love celery! Tonight I made a variation of the ants on a log salad from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites: finely chopped celery, carrots, and broccoli stems with raisins, a couple of spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter and sriracha. I like to bring this to work for an afternoon snack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I would make mirepoix (as supercarrot says - it is just diced carrot, celery and onion) and freeze it. I use mirepoix as a base for soups, stocks and sauces or even just stir fry it with garlic, ginger and salt and pepper. It is SO handy to have around.