| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spaghetti Squash Mush
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am 
Chip Strong

I eat spaghetti squash fairly regularly so I *think* I know what I am doing.
When I made it again the other night, it was just a big blob of mush; no stringy-ness.
I baked it the same way I always do but it came out a disaster. I still covered it in pesto and ate but you know, not what I wanted.

What could have happened? any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Spaghetti Squash Mush
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have been cooking with spaghetti squash a lot. i think roasting is the best, less likely to get mush.

But sometimes, even if I cook it the way I always do, it is mush. I think that the squash must be a bit overripe, but it is really hard to tell.

I just smother it in whatever and eat it too......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:22 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I recently had a similar experience, but the spaghetti squash looked slightly different than they usually do. It was smaller and greener. I have an identical one in my CSA box this week so I might end up going through the same experience all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

err... mine is always crunchy.. is it suppose to be?? i didn't really like it for that reason altho the tast was super yummy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

No, it shouldn't be crunchy. That probably means you under cooked it. It should also not be mushy. That's not to say that the texture is actually like spaghetti. It should be juicy and soft, but the individual strands should still maintain their individuality and not all mush together.

As for what causes the occasional mushy SQ when you normally cook them correctly? I have had this occasional problem too. So I also chalked it up to over ripeness, but I suppose it could be due to under ripeness, or maybe the squash got too much water while it was growing. Anyway, since I usually cook them fine, I figure it's the squash's fault and not mine when it doesn't turn out right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:24 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got another spaghetti squash identical to the one I had that came out watery before. I cut it in half, scooped out the insides and microwaved it. I think I might have done 5 minutes each side? I don't remember the exact amount of time because I think I put it in for 7 at first and it didn't look quite right so I kept adding minutes. This time it came out perfectly and wasn't watery at all even though the squashes looked the same from the outside and were both microwaved. I think the original squash might have just been a dud in the crop?