| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taramasalata
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone--

New to this forum. The other day I saw some fake roe made from seaweed, and it made me think about making some taramasalata, which I enjoyed in my former days (before I saw the light). Then I thought, if I'm going to make vegan taramasalata, couldn't I just use potato, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and the seaweed in some form, and not buy this expensive fake caviar, since I'm just going to destroy these balls anyway in the blending? Does anyone have any experience making vegan taramasalata? Has anyone ever used seaweed as a substitute for roe in any recipe? Does anyone just have any ideas that might help me?

Thanks,

--Scott

Post subject: Re: Taramasalata
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Hi Scott,
I had to look taramasalata up. It sounds like you are on the right track. You certainly don't have to bother with the specification step only to blend it all up again. Your recipe plan sounds pretty good to me. I'd eat it! But, obviously, since I had to look it up I've never had the original. Jut be ready for the color to be a funky green due to the seaweed. Wikepedia said the color is generally beige to pink with some commercial products being very pink due to food coloring. If you end up with a really off-putting color, maybe you can tweak it with food coloring if you don't mind using it, or a strongly colored food, such as a bit of beet juice. Or just close your eyes and enjoy! Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Did you ever make it? I used to love taramasalata in my pregan days. I would love to know how your experiments are coming along.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I could have sworn that Terry had a recipe for vegan taramasalata but I can't seem to find it, someone else might know where it is hiding though!