| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Clean Out the Fridge Recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm 
Semen Strong

What do you make when your crisper is full and you have veggies which are about to turn on you? How do you resurrect your scraps and leftovers that are past their prime?

I just dispatched some limp zucchini, a few tomatoes (from our overenthusiastic garden) and a few detumnescing carrots into a lentil soup. I also used some old rice in veggie burgers and of course will shove almost anything l find into a scramble...

Any other ideas?

Post subject: Re: Best Clean Out the Fridge Recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If the items are fresh, just odds and ends, I make a salad. The other night I had a salad of romaine, tomato, cucumber, carrots, and toasted chickpeas in a lemon tahini dressing. Everything but the chickpeas had been bought for another use, but I didn't use the whole package, so I had nothing in particular to do with it.

I often make zucchini waffles with sad zucchini.

Or a chickpea flour omelet with sauteed whatever veggies I have on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I usually make a curry when I have veggies that are about to go off, because you can throw just about anything into one. Or soup. Sometimes I just roast it all with whatever herbs or spices I'm feeling that day, and eat that with rice or quinoa.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm with allularpunk, curry or soup. burritos are pretty great (or fajitas), there's always stir-fry (we usually have a 20lb bag of basmati rice on hand) and i've also frozen the veggies and used to make vegetable stock at a later time. sometimes i saute a bunch of the veggies, add a grain and a bean and make veggie burgers. oh yeah, and i've been known to pulse up some veggies and hide them in pasta sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

That's when I make soup! Pretty much anything tastes good once it's been simmered in broth, tarted up with spices, nooch and soy milk, and blended. Also burgers, I like turning leftover curries into burgers with a little VWG and breadcrumbs for a binder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm 
Semen Strong

This looks like the nicest clean out the fridge recipe!
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28883

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

DEG wrote:
If the items are fresh, just odds and ends, I make a salad. The other night I had a salad of romaine, tomato, cucumber, carrots, and toasted chickpeas in a lemon tahini dressing. Everything but the chickpeas had been bought for another use, but I didn't use the whole package, so I had nothing in particular to do with it.

I often make zucchini waffles with sad zucchini.

Or a chickpea flour omelet with sauteed whatever veggies I have on hand.

Tell us more about the zucchini waffles!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Stir fry is my go to clean out the fridge recipe, but soups are probably the most forgiving of limp things. Salads can be great for using up odds and ends as DEG said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Onions, scallions, cabbage, peppers, zucchini etc.
-chickpea omelette! the vegetables get thrown in the food processor and then I add them to chickpea omelette dough while they are still raw - I make my omelette mix with chickpea flour, black salt, baking powder and some soymilk or water, depending on what I have on hand.

Tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, onions, carrots, cauliflower, green beans etc. either gets made into
-a dhal like lentil soup/stew with tons of indian spices, broth and coconut milk if I have some
-a french stew with lots of canned tomatoes, dried herbs, tons of freshly cracked pepper
-smoky moroccan tagine with moroccan spices
-a middle eastern-inspired sauté (especially if I have hummus or chickpeas to make chickpea croquettes!)
-spanish inspired roasted vegetables with plenty of olive oil, served with fried polenta and olives

Mushrooms, zucchini, onions, peas, spinach:
-a french tart where I make a simple pie dough, roll it out, and then add a filling of boiled chickpea flour with a little black salt + veggies that have been sautéed, then added to the chickpea mixture
-risotto!

If I have red bell peppers, onions, avocados and beans on hand, I usually cook some rice, make some refried beans, and make fajita vegetables, which is basically onions and bell peppers cut up in big chunks and then sautéed with smoked paprika, black pepper, dried chili, cumin and salt and then serve it over the rice with delicious avocado chunks on top. It's extra good if you have a little cilantro to add!

I am also a firm believer that most vegetables can be added to tomato sauce and made into lasagna.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, and definitely curry as well. Mine is usually sautéed veggies, adding some fresh curry paste (I buy mine at a thai market, check for shrimp paste!), adding some coconut milk and a boullion cube. Seriously easy, seriously good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

smoothie wrote:
I am also a firm believer that most vegetables can be added to tomato sauce and made into lasagna.

This. I like to use leftovers in casseroles. Lasagna is great for Italian-friendly veggies (peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant but also carrots and celery). Root veggies and anything green or cabbage-y is good in a shepherd's pie with some lentils or tvp. Casseroles are awesome as leftovers, so I don't mind making extra if there are lots of limp veggies.

If you don't mind working with pastry, empanada type thingies are really good leftover receptacles too. Just sauté the veggies with some Mexican spices, add some beans, wrap the mixture in rolled out pieces of dough and bake.

Curry, soup and omelets/socca are also much loved fridge-cleaners in our house.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This is the zucchini waffle recipe I used pregan, so I just veganized it with soy milk and replacing the egg with silken tofu. Though I also aim for 2.5 to 3 cups of liquid as the original recipe is way too thick. http://www.trulysimple.com/2011/06/zucchini-waffles/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Stir fries and soups are my go-to for cleaning out the fridge!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made Miyoko's Boeuf Bourguignon from VegNews today and it used up pretty much the entire contents of my fridge (with some adaptations to suit what I had on hand). Beet greens, potatoes, seitan, fake chicken, leeks, corn, onions, garlic, plenty of mushrooms, and more, plus I was able to use a huge thing of slightly stale red wine, the end of a container of red miso, celery, fresh thyme etc... Everything must go. It took forever but was mostly hands off and I am so happy to finally know that we will be vegetable-less by Friday (when our CSA box arrives!). I also made pickled beets and then the beet crostini from the Inspired Vegan to use up the 7-8 beetroots before they became sad, and in turn that used up the last of the capers, kalamata olives, basil, and red wine vinegar. My recycling bin was crazy today.

Normally I do curries and soups religiously around Wednesday or Thursday when I know I have to use up our produce. I make a tonne of blended soups because my husband has annoying texture issues (anything "slimy" aka mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, eggplant, squash, cooked greens etc. are out), and then I make crazy spicy curries for myself with stuffed like cooked fruit, un-seeded hot peppers, and other things he would never eat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

For me, it depends on the veggies in question. Squishy zucchini, summer squash, peppers, tomatoes mean ratatouille. Others mean soup, or stir fry, or sometimes chili.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I stopped buying so many damn vegetables and never used less than a whole bunch in a recipe - no leftover odds and ends allowed. Snacking veggies get cut up quickly and put at eye level so they are actually eaten (cucumbers, jicama, stuff like that). Problem solved. Now, the problem of leftovers remains, but that is a slightly less depressing problem.