| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you over-do it with smoothies?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I got a Vitamix this summer and I love smoothies! but lately they have been giving me stomachaches. I was not sure that's what it was until I had a very plain strawberry banana one at Booster Juice and was in agony. I wonder if maybe it is too much fruit in one sitting? Or if there is something I am not seeing that would irritate my system?

My typical smoothie is half a banana, half a cup of frozen mango or berries (or half an apple), half a cup each of rice milk and water, a spoonful of sunflower seeds or oats or raisins and a small handful of spinach. That fills one travel mug, which does not *seem* like a crazy serving size...

Today, I made my usual but starting feeling a little ick about halfway through. I put the rest in the fridge when I got to work, had some dry cereal while I checked my messages and felt fine. I am wondering if this means I can keep having the smoothies, just not so much at once. Maybe it is too much fructose or acid or something?

Fwiw I was satiated after half the smoothie plus half a cup of dry cereal. I may have the rest of it with my afternoon snack.

I like the smoothies a lot and feel like it is a great way to get in an extra vegetable serving. It just surprises me that a recipe which calls for one serving would be so hard on my stomach. What is going on here?

Post subject: Re: Can you over-do it with smoothies?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am 
Impressive boner

Could it be the banana? I have a sensitivity to bananas, avocado, melon, pineapple and kiwi that can cause stomach pain for around 4 hours. It's part of a latex allergy.

Try them without the banana and see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's what I was going to suggest as well. Try without the banana.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The acid in fruit, without enough sturdy starches to balance it, can upset my stomach sometimes. Apples on an empty stomach is usually a bad idea for me. Your smoothie mix doesn't sound particularly acidic though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Maybe it's just too much at once? My partner and I have a smoothie every morning, but we split about the size you talk about making. On rare occasion we've made a larger amount and I notice that I feel far more full - 8oz really is plenty.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I do have a sensitivity to raw avocado. I can have avocado after it has been microwaved. Usually I get an itchy tongue from that, not a stomach issue.

I will try it without the banana and see what happens. What else can I use to make it creamy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I usually put ok and frozen fruit and banana in my smoothies and I found having them in the morning hurt my stomach. Too much acid on an empty stomach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 pm 
Impressive boner

How about silken tofu?

I get an itchy mouth from kiwis and get stomach pain from the other foods I mentioned, but only if they're raw. Maybe cooking breaks down the latex-like protein within them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You could try more mango, yogurt, or a small handful of soaked cashews to make it creamier. (I also don't think a travel mug is too big for a smoothie. I tend to make mine 16-20oz/roughly500-600ml.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I also make my smoothie size about 500 mL - almond milk, spinach/other greens, blueberries/other berries, large spoon of protein powder, large spoon of ground flax. No banana. The size is not an issue for me - it works out to be a serving size of each food.

I am curious to know if the bananas are the culprit. You never know what our body is going to throw at you, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The bananas sound like the common ingredient between all your home made smoothies and the purchased one, so I also suspect they might be your problem. You could add nut butter or any kind of plant milk or yogurt or silken tofu to add creaminess. I'm sure it is possible to over do smoothies, but one a day of the size you describe sounds quite reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Update: tried it today with no banana, and it was not very tasty but I was fine. Now I need to find some good banana-free recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I rarely put bananas in my smoothies because they stop me up. My morning smoothie consists of 1/2 cup plain soy milk, about 3 oz silken tofu, 6 oz by weight of mixed fruits like strawberries, pineapple, mango, blueberries, etc., and a handful of spinach. Sometimes I put a carrot in too. The tofu makes it nice and thick, and it's pretty filling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a latex allergy too (avocado and banana, etc. make me feel horrible).

A great replacer for the thickness and bulk that banana gives a smoothie is oats - I will either use the dry blender to grind up the oats into a flour before making the rest of the smoothie, or soak the oats overnight in water (or non-dairy milk) and dump it in the smoothie too. If you want it a little sweeter - add some agave or maple syrup or stevia maybe?

Also - I thought this was helpful when I had to give up the banana in my smoothies: http://www.greenthickies.com/smoothies-without-bananas/