All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swanky cocktail party hors d'oeuvres
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

penguin olives! http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2011/12 ... -penguins/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Penguin olives are a lot of work, but were a huge hit at a party I threw a few years ago.

Back to sweets: chocolate dipped strawberries are an elegant and indulgent treat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:17 pm 
Dead by dawn

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Oh. my. god. This is definitely happening. So stinkin' cute.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Our grocery store has a great olive antipasto bar so I always get a nice mix of stuff, pop it on a platter and serve with bread slices/crackers/etc.

Another great super easy idea is a radish tartine - french bread sliced thin, buttered and then topped with super thin mandolin cut radish slices. You can sprinkle them with whatever if you want.

A mini fruit salad (can be served on a stick or in a small dish/cup/shot glasses).

Stuffed mushrooms are a classic appetizer.

There are a billion types of bruschetta (diced tomato or olive or veggie mixture on french bread slices) and all of them are elegant for parties.

If you slice mini potatoes/cherry tomatoes in half then hollow out most of the half you can then fill them with dip/sauce/mix/etc.,

Mini lettuce wraps are easy to prepare and will be filling.

Another easy idea that looks great is cut pita bread in triangles (like pizza), spread each triangle with hummus, add two slices of thinly sliced cucumber, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with a piece of dill/parsley/etc. Have olives in a small dish with these as they pair beautifully.

If you want something a little more filling you can take wonton skins put them in muffin tins and bake. They become little shells that you can fill with almost anything.

If you want to serve something warm like soup, put it in tea cups/large shot glasses, etc.

Chocolate fondue with different things as dippers if it is a small gathering.

If you take an orange/large lemon/large lime, etc. and cut it in half and hollow it out you can fill it with cake mix and bake it. It make an impressive dessert for almost nothing.

Zucchini/corn/potato cakes topped with something. They are easy to make and can be customized to your theme.

Cut rounds out of baked polenta and top them with a little marinara sauce and a sprinkle them with basil. You can also top them with sliced veggie sausage. These need a small dish and fork.

Dark chocolate truffles are easy to make and yet are very elegant.

Mini pies are perfect for this time of year and can be made with a billion different filling options.

Canapes are easy to make.

Gougeres are almost perfect for these types of things as they are very elegant. Martha Stewart has an amazing lemon parsley one that is divine!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 am 
Chard Martyr

This isn't THAT fancy when you break it down, but it sure tastes amazing: I bought an amazing local black olive loaf and made mini sandwich bites with vegan pate (yams, carrots, sunflower seeds, spices, lemon, fennel, olive oil), thinly sliced local radishes, roma tomatoes, and anaheim peppers, with horseradish vegenaise. Incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:10 am 
Semen Strong

Gougeres are soooo good! I haven't ever seen a vegan recipe though. Which do you use?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:19 am 
Dead by dawn

Tofulish wrote:
Gougeres are soooo good! I haven't ever seen a vegan recipe though. Which do you use?

Hmm, yes. I checked out that Martha Stewart recipe. Not vegan or veganizable... 5 eggs! I mean, if biker boy wants to handle some of the apps himself, the party will not be entirely vegan. But I, myself, am not making anything unvegan. I haven't actually searched for a vegan recipe, though. Maybe someone has done it.

Edit: Someone has indeed veganized gougeres. However they've replaced 4-5 eggs with flax, which I am super skeptical about! Healthy Vegan Kitchen did the same recipe with 4-5 eggs replaced with Ener-G. I just don't think either are suitable for replacing more than 2 eggs... I'm not sure anything is suitable for replacing more than 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

There is an eclair recipe in the most recent Veg News (VegNews?). Non-vegan eclairs and gougeres use the same dough, just gougeres have savory seasonings/cheese, right? Maybe that recipe could be adapted. I'm actually really interested in this now, where did I put that magazine?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This non-vegan recipe only has 3 eggs, and I'm thinking that you can probably sub it with a mix of Miyoko Schinner's flax foam, a little chickpea flour (I'm thinking about a tablespoon + a little extra baking powder.
Clearly the eggs are used as a raising agent alongside with the baking powder, and I think the mix of flax foam, chickpea flour and baking powder will be perfect to simulate that!

What kind of cheese are you thinking of using? I guess it should be melting and have a delicious yet kind of strong taste?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:19 am 
Dead by dawn

Invites are out and this party is really happening. Any additional ideas are super welcome!

Also, I wish I could just invite all of the PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Do you like peppadews? You can stuff them with almost anything, but they look real fancy stuffed with something creamy and sprinkled with fresh herbs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The tempeh nori rolls in V'con are really fancy looking and not too tricky once you get the hang of rolling them.

This party sounds fab!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

monkeytoes wrote:

Oh...you're....not? Awkward. I was going to drive to Seattle and surprise you by not recognizing you for the millionth time. Guess that plan is foiled...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

You can crash my party and not recognize me any time you want! Especially if you bring me one of those peanut butter cookies...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Oh...you're....not? Awkward. I was going to drive to Seattle and surprise you by not recognizing you for the millionth time. Guess that plan is foiled...

I want to crash the party with you! (You probably can't really crash it, but if you can I want to go).

But seriously, when is the party? If it's on a weekend I would probably crash it! (if you'll have me)

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i have nothing to contribute, except that i enjoy the mental image this thread's title conjures.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm 
Dead by dawn

katiejayne wrote:
vijita wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I want to crash the party with you! (You probably can't really crash it, but if you can I want to go).

But seriously, when is the party? If it's on a weekend I would probably crash it! (if you'll have me)

It's 11/9. If I had email addresses for you (both of you!) I'd send you the evite. I mean, then you wouldn't be crashing it, which might not be as fun. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

Awww, I wish I could make it! I haven't seen either of you in too long!

Please post a full synopsis with photos and descriptions and classic katiejayne portraits. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:59 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
Awww, I wish I could make it! I haven't seen either of you in too long!

Please post a full synopsis with photos and descriptions and classic katiejayne portraits. :)

I always make my classic face when there is a camera pointed at me! If I make it I bet there will be one of me. I'm not sure if I can but I am going to try. I wish you could come too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. please come visit me in Bellingham, there is a new restaurant that has tasty food! And the pho place is downtown now so no more driving to get pho!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:03 pm 
And you never will.

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
i have nothing to contribute, except that i enjoy the mental image this thread's title conjures.

Haha! Yeah, I keep reading it reverse-filtered, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

poopiebitch wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:

Haha! Yeah, I keep reading it reverse-filtered, too.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:59 am 
WELFARIST!

Chloe's Kitchen has a recipe I've made before for phyllo mushroom triangles. Look fancy and super easy to make! maybe your cocktail party already happened but if you still need recipes I can PM.

Also, I've made the mini potatoes stuffed with salsa guacamole they were really good. Also from Chloe's Kitchen.

These appetizers are somewhat on the heartier side and not the lightest (but they're not too heavy, either) but you know, they hit the hungry spot when you're having a few drinks and maybe don't want a meal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bumping this because I need help!

My friend is throwing a cocktail party and I told her I would bring a few things. Problem is, I have to work all day that day so everything I make has to be make ahead friendly.

She is doing a crostini bar which I figure I will add to with the walnut mushroom pate since everyone goes nuts for it. I also assume that is no problem to make ahead.

I am also totally rolling with vijita's recommendation for pesto pinwheels. Problem is, there's no vegan frozen puff pastry available here so I am planning on just using pilsbury crescent dough. Saw it used for a pinwheel on TV, so I figure it will work. Thinking should be no problem to make ahead if I keep them air tight after.

But I want to do one more thing. Needs to be room-temp friendly also since I won't really have time to bake (though crisping up in the oven for a few minutes would be ok). Intrigued by stuffed cherry tomatoes, any good filling recipe recommendations? Or maybe stuffed mini peppers? The pizza patate sounds good, but I'm wondering if a ball of dough from the store would be enough to do the whole rectangle (don't feel up to making my own dough a la the recipe).

Thoughts, insight, opinions appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

I ended up grilling slices of polenta, roasting thin slices of eggplant and zucchini, both ahead of time. Then I assembled them (slice of polenta, either a slice of eggplant or a couple slices of zucchini, little bit of fresh marinara sauce) and heated in the microwave. They looked super cute, tasted kind of like pizza and were make-ahead-heat-later friendly. I'm sure you could heat them in the oven too, I just had too much going on in the oven to do that.

I also did a platter with tapenade, a variety of olives, marcona almonds, crisp cracker, and peppadews into which I had piped Vcon cashew ricotta. That was room temp friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh Mtoes, that sounds so good. Thanks for the ideas!