| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best apple pie recipe/ideas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 am 
Chard Martyr

I work on an organic farm, cidery, and apple orchard. We're having a harvest festival this weekend and I want to make the best vegan apple pie ever to win the staff competition. I do like the cosmos apple pie recipe from VPITS, but I'm looking for something a little bit more crazy to really stand out. I was even thinking of doing something raw even though that is very much unlike me and I don't have a vita-mix or dehydrator or even patience. I make a vegan Jamaican jerk curry with rice using our apple wine cider that contains a bit of rum, so I was thinking of going crazy and doing a savoury pie with a filling like that. Maybe with puff pastry? Crust is not really my forte. Maybe a cheesecake?

I really love the curried macaroon pie from VPITS...and apples can be in curry, right?

We make a ice wine-style crabapple cider that would make a really nice glaze for a pie or tart.

Since we are kind of an 100-mile diet establishment, there are some other local products worth considering this time of year: hazelnuts, hops, spelt, winter squash, corn, pears, chanterelles (for savoury, obvs!), beets, kale, blackberries, late tomatoes, garlic, preserves of all kinds, interesting sea salts, etc... I also have a well-stocked liquor cabinet that I only really use for baking and cooking, as well as access to nine different types of hard cider that we make at work.

I want to make the craziest but most delicious pie! Ideas?

Post subject: Re: best apple pie recipe/ideas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a few ideas but the first thing that popped into my head was the Vermont Curry from Japan that supposedly has apples in it. Which led to thoughts of the curry donut (drool) which led to the Japanese Curry Pie. You could even make it like a curry croquette and have a layer of mashed potato or something so it is a bit more substantial when cut.

sweet wise, i used to do a pie that had cardamom and rosewater, which was nice, but i think if you could do something with caramel and a funky crust (chocolate? gingerbread?) you could really clean up. isn't there a caramel apple peanut butter recipe in Vcon? maybe you could adapt those components to a more traditional apple pie format.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a few ideas but the first thing that popped into my head was the Vermont Curry from Japan that supposedly has apples in it. Which led to thoughts of the curry donut (drool) which led to the Japanese Curry Pie. You could even make it like a curry croquette and have a layer of mashed potato or something so it is a bit more substantial when cut.

sweet wise, i used to do a pie that had cardamom and rosewater, which was nice, but i think if you could do something with caramel and a funky crust (chocolate? gingerbread?) you could really clean up. isn't there a caramel apple peanut butter recipe in Vcon? maybe you could adapt those components to a more traditional apple pie format.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Two words: tarte tatin. Seriously, my favourite apple dessert. Caramelized anything is good, but apples are the best! It's really easy to make (caramelize the apples, then bake it with puff pastry on top, and flip!), and you could make some kind of fancy whip-type thing to go with it.

I also like torque's ideas!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Tarte tatin with the caramelized apples on top made me think of a caramel apple upside-down cake. You could use the crabapple cider in the topping for a tarte tatin type caramelized apple topping or you could do a thicker caramel for "caramel apple" candy type topping. The base could either be a spice cake or regular white upside-down cake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have made this amazing Apple Pear Tart (with dark rum and tangerine zest) for years and I LOVE IT. Really, it is a galette. I have also won large, otherwise omni pie contests with it.
recipe: http://www.jojorestaurant.com/sfmagazine-1.html
Here's a pic:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

double post

Last edited by ameyfm on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sometimes I also add some quince cooked down in spiced syrup.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

An upside down cake sounds good, but it has to be a pie, right? no cake or turnovers....what about whoopee PIES?

From my experience, gussied up "ordinary" pies usually win these things (ie maple caramel apple, etc). But if you want a savory one, how about apple/maple sausage pie with a phyllo crust? Maybe with sweet potato in?

If you go with a more traditional pie, put some fenugreek and lemon peel in with the spices. Gives it that undefinable something yum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Swedish Apple Pie - basically you cut up the apples and toss them in sugar and cinnamon like normal, and then pour a batter over it that creates a crust on top. My ex-bf called it "cookie apple pie." It is different, but almost everyone that I've ever served it to has absolutely raved over it.

I would totally add some of the local hazelnuts to the batter too.

I can't find the recipe that I use, but this one looks close. There are a ton of NV recipes out there and this one is very similar, just using the flax goo in lieu of egg... which I'm pretty sure I've done before.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

Amazing suggestions guys, thank you! Now I can't decide!

I am using a particularly bitter and sour variety of cider-making apple, so I might lean towards savoury, but that tart ameyfm posted sounds amazing, and I also like the idea of adding hazelnuts to the crust, and a cookie pie! I don't really care about winning (I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible to win anyway since I work at the farm), but I do want to wow people with something super unique and vegan.

I went to my favourite Ethiopian restaurant for dinner on Wednesday and my buddy/the owner (who always gives me a huge tub of berbere when she grinds a fresh batch!) suggested berbere-spiced apple sambusas with a mint and apple chutney. I LOVE that idea but I'm not sure I'd do it justice!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What did you end up doing? I'm on the search for apple recipes since I have bags of them lurking.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh i want to know too!
not for nothing, but i got bags of apples for 50c last week (some weird coupon, 5# for 50c), and wanted to do something nice for my grampa, so i made roasted apple sauce for the first time, and that stuff was quite amazing. i'm not a big applesauce fan but WOW.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Chard Martyr

Chickpea apple pakoras with cilantro apple chutney! So not pie, so so good.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]