| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: in need of pierogi recipe recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't usually like to make recipes that involve rolling out dough. I'm lazy and it gets messy. But I want to make pierogi for my boyfriend's birthday, because he loves them. Anyone have a particular recipe to recommend? Also any suggestions for sauces or side dishes would come in handy. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: in need of pierogi recipe recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Here's a link to Isa's recipe:
http://www.theppk.com/2011/03/potato-pi ... ed-onions/

Serve with apple sauce and/or sour cream (if there's a vegan brand you like/have access to). And maybe some seitan sausages?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you have success and plan on making more, these Hunky Bill Pierogi makers make it really easy to make pro looking goodies. Saves a ton of time and fussing. I make giant batches and freeze them. http://www.amazon.com/100001-Big-Pierogi-Maker/dp/B00A4L9NEY/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1381424400&sr=1-2&keywords=Hunky+Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'd really recommend making the dough the night before and storing it wrapped in plastic in the fridge. I find this makes the process less daunting if it's your first time and the dishes/mess manageable. The next day just make your filling(s), roll out the dough, form the pierogi and boil them.
Fry up some onions in oil and pour over top to serve!
A shredded (raw) beet salad would look and taste great as a side dish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jonny Guitar wrote:
If you have success and plan on making more, these Hunky Bill Pierogi makers make it really easy to make pro looking goodies. Saves a ton of time and fussing. I make giant batches and freeze them. http://www.amazon.com/100001-Big-Pierogi-Maker/dp/B00A4L9NEY/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1381424400&sr=1-2&keywords=Hunky+Bill

(sigh) I see yet another Amazon purchase and yet another kitchen gadget purchase in my future...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:57 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've never tried this by myself but my grand-grandmother never rolled out the dough - she always torn a small piece of dough, formed a ball and flattened in hands and do some other magical tricks with the dough and completely formed pierogis just came out straight from her palms. Her pierogis were the best I've ever had. However I've never meet anyone who was also practising this method.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

spaceage, we also do it like that. My dough is never pliable enough to roll out, but they always come out great! My dough recipe is very similar to Isa's. We just use leftover mashed potatoes for filling. They're also good with sweet potatoes or sauteed cabbage slaw with onion. Fried onions and sour cream all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Arianna: that's amazing! So you are actually third person in the world who I know (at least I am aware of;) who is making them this way - third, because in the mean time my husband confessed that his grandmother made them the same way :).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What can I say, maybe we are just weird Polish people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the pierogi linked to above (and from vegan brunch) yesterday specifically because this forum made me want them so very badly. They were pretty fantastic. Definitely time consuming, but not a big deal for a Sunday night dinner, and once the dough was rolled out and my circles were cut, I found filling/forming them to be kind of fun. I boiled them first for the initial cook & them fried them (although Isa very has very strong feelings against frying them!), and we had them with caramelized onions, sour cream, applesauce and tofurkey kielbasa. So good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you really can't go wrong with them. my family here in the US has a bit of a frozen pierogi habit and i made them for them, and it was like a revelation. (also the frozen ones are EXPENSIVE, and it costs almost nothing to make them from scratch).
of course, the first time my mom made them, using the normal recipe (vwav or vbrunch), they didn't come out. the dough was too sticky. i didn't know what to say, i have never had a pierogi failure, sometimes mine are pretty ugly, but they're still edible.
now that reminds me i need to make them again, about 100 of them, and freeze them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So, I used this thread as inspiration, and make Pierogi's this weekend, for the first time. Used the PPK recipe linked above.

here is my review. Keep in mind, first attempt, and I am shitty at making any kind of dough.

torque, my dough came out SUPER sticky the first time! I messed up and didn't add the oil. Durrr. Then I did it again, and they were STILL very sticky. Took a lot of extra flour, and a pause to wash my hands. But finally, it came together just fine :)

Filling: I make half just onions and potatoes like the recipe stated (but I did put in some garlic!) the other half, I added in some sauteed mushrooms and spinach with some fresh parsley. It made a TON. I really should have made more dough and doubled the recipe! I intended to do that, but accidentally only bought the amount of potatoes needed for ONE batch, not too. Now I realize I could have easily made 2 full batches.

I boiled, let cool on a wooden cutting board, then fried. Served with some sour cream, apple sauce, caramelized onions and Tofurkey polish sausage. Leftovers I froze for later.

The outcome: I thought they were great! Now, my partner thought they were bland, really bland. I could have put some more salt in probably, but I kind of remember Piegori's being a bit bland anyways. He is actually requesting a dipping sauce. What do you guys recommend? I will eat these later this week with more sausage and some of the leftover mashed potatoes.

Overall, they were pretty easy to make, even with someone like me that fails at dough most of the time. They made a ton, and I am looking forward to leftovers. Next time, I think I will get more creative with the fillings (even if they are not authentic)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

chicki, maybe fry them up with some sauerkraut too, next time? or maybe a dill/garlic vegan sour cream dip? pierogi isn't really an in-your-face sort of taste, hah.

i really want to make some pierogi with sauerkraut and some sort of seitan/tvp 'meat' mixture like the ones my grandma used to make at holidays, as well as the standard potato/cheese (well, cheeze now) ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

pierogies must be eaten with mustard,fried onions, or sauerkraut. or ranch dressing. if you make a batch of almost caramelized onions with a bit of salt it's perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

RANCH??!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pierogi prep in my family: After steaming, they should be panfried in butter, pepper, touch of salt and then served with sour cream. Dessert pierogis are the only dry ones, but they are still fried with butter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My partner hates sour cream, sauerkraut and onions! (more for me)

he suggested A-1 ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

what? (head explodes)

fancy mustard?
you know, in Brazil when i see pierogies (there is a big polish and ukrainian community, and at the food fair things there are usually pierogi trucks), for topping there is a choice of herb butter, mushroom gravy, and something else. maybe 4 cheese type sauce (i never order them because it's a cheese and butter fest, as usual, so I don't remember). maybe a gravy?

[ranch dressing is my kid's new go-to for everything,learned from my gourmet family {eyeroll}. luckily when we go back home there is no ranch dressing in Brazil.]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I like to make a mushroom and cheese filling for mine and serve them in a shallow bowl with roasted beetroot (or purple carrot) sauce and a big blob of sour cream with a dill garnish.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:04 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just wanted to update and say thanks for all your suggestions! I used Isa's recipe and added a little daiya to the filling. I don't think it was necessary to add it but my boyfriend liked it. I served the pierogi with the caramelized onion, sauteed cabbage and mushrooms, tofurkey kielbasa and dill vegan sour cream. I bought one of the pierogi makers and included it with his birthday gifts so he can make me all kinds of dumplings in the future. The only problem I had was that I made them the night before boiling and eating them, and didn't dust everything with flour before putting them in the fridge, so they stuck together in a solid mass and were really hard to separate. Beware!

I'm excited to make these for upcoming family feasts. I'm thinking butternut squash filling (a la vegan dad) or pumpkin. Maybe I could do a filling with caramelized onion, pumpkin, nutmeg and cashew ricotta, and add some sage to the dough. Problem is my brother's allergic to nuts. Please post if you have any holiday filling suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am 
WELFARIST!

I've only made pierogis (from scratch a few times) but I shaped the dough by hand as well. I don't remember rolling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had good success with soy sour cream with tons of chipotle hot sauce mixed in.

I bought a little Tupperware mini-pie/large dumpling mood thing to make pierogi with. Haven't attempted it yet. Mine will require soy bacon bits in the filling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Can't you use frozen dumpling dough? (I buy mine in Asian grocery stores)
I think pierogis would make lovely christmas food!