| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cheese please
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:03 am 
Tofu Pup

Loving this site. I need some advice, any suggestions for a good vegan cheese? Ive tried many over the years and have yet to find one that tastes really good. Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: cheese please
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I like the Monterey Jack from Vegan Gourmet. I don't like it as is though. I find it good sliced thin on crackers with Dijon mustard, sliced thin for grilled cheese made in a toaster oven, grated in tacos or grated in macaroni and cheese.

I don't like Daya much but people who used to like Velveeta or Kraft singles like it. I only like it sliced as thin as possible for grilled cheese, in the toaster oven so that it melts.

I also liked a Cheddar sauce from Teese for baked macaroni and cheese that is similar to Kraft Dinner.

I don't have access to Tofutti, Cheezly or Dr. Cow brands so I never tried them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sunnylife wrote:
Loving this site. I need some advice, any suggestions for a good vegan cheese? Ive tried many over the years and have yet to find one that tastes really good. Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

where do you live? it helps to know that information, since availability can vary quite a lot by region (and even more so by country).

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
sunnylife wrote:

where do you live? it helps to know that information, since availability can vary quite a lot by region (and even more so by country).
Yes - depending where you are, there are different options. In the US lots of people like Daiya. I'm not crazy about the shreds on their own, but they're all right melted into a sauce with other ingredients; the wedges are better, albeit in a very "processed cheeze" sort of way, and I haven't had a chance to try the slices yet. Teese is another option; the mozzarella is especially good. I personally find all the Vegan Gourmet varieties equally vile, but some people love it. We spend a lot of time in the UK, and I really like Cheezly (the blue flavor is hands down the best commercial vegan cheese I've had so far); unfortunately we can't get it in North America anymore, but some of the Sheese are okay, and it's available online through a few places.

If you're in the States, Vegan Essentials is a good place to start; it seems like new vegan cheeses are popping up all the time!

http://store.veganessentials.com/cheese ... es-c6.aspx

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

if you want to make your own and you don't have soy allergies, i highly recommend julie hasson's vegan diner cookbook & the smokey mountain cheese recipe. you can find agar agar powder in packets at an asisan grocery in your town for under $1 each.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 am 
WRETCHED

I've been vegan for 6 years and other than Dr Cow which is super pricey, I've never found a vegan cheese I really like. I am a bigger fan of follow your heart cheeses than of Daiya, I think they have a better taste but I don't buy either. If you have cheezly, buy that and don't look back as that is the best one I've tried but it isn't in the US.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

While I think that vegan cheese has come a looooong way in the time I've been vegan, I think homemade is def the best. And there are many recipes that aren't very hard.......if you're into DIY :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Daiya's pretty much the best, most widely available choice. For some reason though, the wedges and slices are so much better than the shreds. I'll buy the wedges and shred them myself, because they just taste and melt better.

Teese is pretty awesome, but I can't find it here without ordering.

Follow Your Heart is good, but not my first choice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

creep wrote:
Daiya's pretty much the best, most widely available choice. For some reason though, the wedges and slices are so much better than the shreds. I'll buy the wedges and shred them myself, because they just taste and melt better.

Teese is pretty awesome, but I can't find it here without ordering.

Follow Your Heart is good, but not my first choice.

Ive tried the shredded Daiya and im not a fan. Im in Texas, I haven't seen the brand Teese yet, but I do keep hearing how good it is lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
sunnylife wrote:

Im in the U.S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:05 pm 
WRETCHED

Actually I think Teese is the grossest one out there. You couldn't pay me to eat Teese.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
Actually I think Teese is the grossest one out there. You couldn't pay me to eat Teese.
To be honest, I'm not inclined to eat any of the commercial vegan cheese "as is" (with the exception of that blue Cheezly: le swoon). Instead I generally mix them with other stuff to make sauces and casserole fillings, or add them to quiches and tofu ricotta, etc. Thus far I've been too lazy to make my own cheeses, but that may change over the winter!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We don't have Daiya or any of those delicious sounding fermented nut cheeses here, but I do love the nacho cheezly, although it's very oily when you grill it, but it tastes great. Most commercial cheeses are very ordinary, some are inedible (like Kingland, and the Tofutti slices - bleh). The homemade cheeses I've tried have all been better and way cheaper. I think my favourite is baked almond feta because it really holds its own as a great cheese, not just a cheese substitute, and is much more gourmet and wholefoody. Omnis who wouldn't touch commercial vegan cheese with a ten-foot pole rave about it (especially great served with red onion and cranberry jam).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I don't really like any of the commercial cheeses I've tried. Most of the ones I've had have been off: taste like lotion, plasticky consistency, don't melt. The Daiya wedges are the only passable ones for me but I don't think they are very versatile. I second the idea of making your own cheeses as the result will usually be much better than what you can buy. Ricotta, feta, cheddary spread/sauce, parmesan, cashew cheese, fondue-y cheese sauce, and queso style spread are all cheeses that can be homemade with great results.

You may want to look up Miyoko's Artisan Vegan Cheese book. I haven't had success with all of the recipes, especially the harder and aged cheeses, but she has good recipes and techniques in the book that can inspire you. There is also the the Uncheese Cookbook, which I don't have, but I've heard good things about it.

The one cheese I am still trying to perfect is a mozzarella. I've tried the Daiya shreds and they just don't taste like mozzarella at all. I just want a neutral, not too watery when melted mozzarella for pizza/casseroles.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I think cheese is the great divider in the vegan community. Taste is always subjective, but it seems to be especially so when it comes to cheeses.

There seems to be a lot of love out there for the Cheezly, but despite my sig, I'm not wild about it. To me the taste and texture are a bit like wet chalk. That said, a lot of the flavors that people rave about (Blue? Bacon Cheddar? Nacho?) don't seem to be available here, so maybe I'd like those better. I've only ever tried the mozzarella, cheddar, and edam flavors. I liked the edam the best, but mainly on pizza, and it really doesn't melt particularly well, if you ask me.

Daiya isn't available here, but I have brought both shreds and wedges back from vacation in Canada, and I have to say that nothing I've tried in Europe matches the meltability of it. One of the best pizzas I've ever made was with the Daiya cheddar shreds.

There's a German brand that's available here that's making a lot of headway: Wilmersburger. The shreds are pretty good on pizza and the slices are pretty good in sandwiches. They're now selling blocks but I haven't tried them yet.

But hands down my favorite brand is Sheese! I've tried a number of flavors and loved them all. They have two styles, block cheese and cream cheese style. The block cheese can be a bit hard, but that makes it easy to grate, and I tend to always warm it up a bit before eating it (either tossing it in the pan with whatever I'm cooking or under the grill in the oven). It also browns really nicely if you want to do a halloumi type of thing. But I also know people who think Sheese is the most disgusting thing they've ever eaten, so who the heck knows.

Like I said... subjective.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm 
Chip Strong

am I the only one who thinks the Follow Your Heart cheese is gritty?

lepelaar, you're totally right about cheese being the great divider. I don't think anyone agrees with each other.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

so true. no one agrees about vegan cheese. I don't like daiya, i love follow your heart. i think the teese mozzerella is just ok, but i hate the other teeses. i love cheezly and i think sheese is just ok.

there's a new cultured cashew cheese that's kind of coming onto the scene called Treeline. They're based in upstate new york, but they are distributing to a lot of other states now. it's really really good and not as expensive as dr. cow. i'm going to get some this weekend at the vegan shop-up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think I'm the minority here but I really like the Daiya shreds! Melted of course. If I want unmelted cheese I buy the Daiya wedges.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We make cheese that is "Cheese and wine" worthy. Take a look and see if you might like something here:

https://www.facebook.com/Door86VeganCheese

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:28 pm 
WRETCHED

Desdemona wrote:
linanil wrote:
To be honest, I'm not inclined to eat any of the commercial vegan cheese "as is" (with the exception of that blue Cheezly: le swoon). Instead I generally mix them with other stuff to make sauces and casserole fillings, or add them to quiches and tofu ricotta, etc. Thus far I've been too lazy to make my own cheeses, but that may change over the winter!

I'd like a nice cheese for pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm not big on sauces or casseroles and the things I've had with vegan cheese, don't really seem to add anything by having the cheese there. So honestly, I personally don't see a reason for the cheeses. I bought a nut cheese to try today (Treeline?) and it is ok for spreading on bread but it kind of tastes like cream cheese. It isn't something I'd use for pizza or grilled cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

Yeah, treeline soft cheeses are supposed to be cream cheese like. I think they nailed it. I think it's too good and too expensive to mix into anything or put on pizza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:34 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I didn't buy it for any particular application other than spreading on bread. I just figured it was something to try.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I forgot about Vegusto! So far, of all the commercial cheeses, that is my absolute favourite. SO expensive here - $10.50 for a really small piece - but as a special treat it's worth it. The piquant one has SO much flavour (very much like a gruyere/parmesan fruitiness) that you can use a really small amount in cooking and get loads of flavour. It doesn't melt, but it's got a totally convincing cheese-like texture, not at all oily or chalky, and you can slice it really thin, which I like.

As for Sheese. To me, it's like gnawing on a chalky hockey puck. And I don't think the cream cheese is as nice as Tofutti. For anyone who's tried Cheezly and not been impressed, it does vary quite a lot depending on the kind you get. I found the edam to be weird and plasticy tasting, for example, even though I love the nacho. Also, it comes in regular and super-melting varieties and the texture is different. The melting ones are a bit too oily, imo, but they're still nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Desdemona wrote:
I'm not crazy about the shreds on their own, but they're all right melted into a sauce with other ingredients; the wedges are better, albeit in a very "processed cheeze" sort of way,

Do the shreds have a less processed-cheese taste then? I didn't try them yet, but I wasn't impressed by the wedges.

Karena wrote:
I think my favourite is baked almond feta because it really holds its own as a great cheese, not just a cheese substitute, and is much more gourmet and wholefoody.

Where did you find the recipe?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

Minatomachi wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I'm not crazy about the shreds on their own, but they're all right melted into a sauce with other ingredients; the wedges are better, albeit in a very "processed cheeze" sort of way,

Do the shreds have a less processed-cheese taste then? I didn't try them yet, but I wasn't impressed by the wedges.

Karena wrote:
I think my favourite is baked almond feta because it really holds its own as a great cheese, not just a cheese substitute, and is much more gourmet and wholefoody.

Where did you find the recipe?

i think she's probably talking about the veg news recipe http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/a ... -herb-oil/