| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excite your beans!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:05 pm 
WRETCHED

So I searched the forums to see if there was a generic thread on advice/tips/random recipes for adding variety to your beans. My husband and I eat beans every day and sometimes I'm lazy and just put them in the pressure cooker but I want to add some variety. I made Some beans that were really good last night so I wanted to share.

Bacony beans
Cooked pinto beans (33 oz can, drained or about 4 cups cooked will do, if you want more, add more for more leftovers)
1/4 to 1 whole onion, chopped (depending on preference and amount of beans)
1-3 garlic cloves, minced (depending on preference and amount of beans)
1/4 to 1/2 container of Upton Bacon, chopped (can also use tempeh bacon, bacon bits or if all else fails, add some liquid smoke)
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (Muir glen diced tomatoes in Adobo sauce is a goto of mine but any will do)
1 tbsp Olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Heat Olive oil on medium in skillet, add onions and sautee for 5 minutes or so, then add garlic and bacon. Cook until bacon becomes crisp or cooked through, if using bacon bits or liquid smoke, add those when you add the beans.

Add beans, tomatoes and 1 tsp or so of salt. If you are using bacon bits or salty tempeh bacon, you might want to hold off on adding salt. Add a few dashes of pepper. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes or so, stirring every couple minutes. Add a couple dashes of water if your beans are sticking. If you want, you can also use a masher to mash some of your beans to give it more of a refried bean texture. Taste for salt. Serve with rice and sauteed greens. Garlicky greens would be a good option but I usually just steam my greens. Can also use for burrito filling, potentially with potatoes especially if using soyrizo version.

Alternatives -
Chorizo & Beans
Use a 1/4 to 1/2 a package of soyrizo instead of bacon. If not using crumbly soyrizo, chop it up. Add when you add bacon above. You can also use a variety of sausages. If you want something like Chorizo and eggs, you could use diced tofu instead of beans above. If you want a good burrito filling, you could actually use cooked diced potatoes instead or in addition to beans.

Chile Beans
Add 1 to 2 tbsp of chile powder, add to pan 30 seconds before adding beans, coat onions, then add beans and tomatoes. For more saucy beans, add 2 cans or a 33 oz can of diced tomatoes. Bacon optional. I usually use 2 types of beans when I do chile beans. Black, Kidney and Pinto are all good options for Chile beans.

Cajun Beans
Add 1 to 2 stalks of celery when you add the garlic, add cajun spice mixture 30 seconds before adding beans, coat onions and then add beans and tomatoes. You could also use a cooked red bean here instead of pintos. Bacon optional, a chopped up spicy sausage would go well here.

Black eyed peas with Red Hot Tahini sauce
Although you could just use plain cooked black eyed peas, you can also use the bacony beans recipe above, using black eyed peas instead. You could also omit the diced tomatoes if you want. Then top your beans with Isa's Red Hot Tahini Sauce
http://www.theppk.com/2012/12/hoppin-john-bowl-with-red-hot-tahini/

Lazy Ethiopian Lentils
Now this is something you could do with dried beans or cooked. With cooked, follow method for bacony beans but omit bacon, and use coconut oil if you have it. I'd recommend 2 tbsp of coconut oil at least as oil makes ethiopian food really shine. Add 2-4 tbsp of berbere powder 30 seconds before adding the cooked lentils and add either 2 cans of diced tomatoes or a 33 oz can of diced tomatoes. With uncooked lentils, I'd recommend using red lentils, rinse them well, add them when you add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes but also add a couple cups of water or follow directions for how much lentils you put in. I usually eyeball the water and add more if need be. Simmer the lentils until cooked. Serve over injera if you have it or with rice.

Lazy Chana Masala
Omit bacon, use coconut oil instead of olive oil if you have it, Use cooked chickpeas instead of pintos, add 2 tbsp of curry powder 30 seconds before adding beans and tomatoes. Use 2 cans of diced tomatoes (Muir glen diced tomatoes with green chiles is my favorite here). Serve over rice.

Tips for old dried beans or dried beans that take forever to cook
If you suspect your beans or old or if they have been sitting in your pantry for ages, add 1 tsp of baking soda to your water. That should help soften them up.

So those are the ideas off the top of my head, if anyone has any favorite bean recipes (personal, from blogs or cookbooks) or favorite bean tips and flavoring ideas, please share :)

Post subject: Re: Excite your beans!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oooooh, these are great! We really need to eat more beans, but I am always too lazy to decide what to do with them. I'll try some of those!

One of our favourites is white beans (whatever kind you can find) tossed with pesto on top of greens and rice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:39 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh which reminds me of a new recipe I came up with last week.

Pasta with Beans
Cooked Pasta (8 oz or 16 oz of dried cooked. 16 oz dried cooks makes a lot)
5 garlic cloves, minced (this makes it a lovely garlicky flavor, if you are using 8 oz dried, you can cut back a clove or 2 but the garlic is key to this recipe)
1 tbsp of dried rosemary
1/4 to 1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp olive oil
5 sundried tomatoes, chopped (I used tomatoes in oil, if you use dried packages ones, you may need to soak in some warm water)
1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 cans of beans, drained (I recommend 1 can of fava, 1 can of chickpea or 2 cans of chickpea but this is your recipe, go wild. BioItalia has a great mixed bean mixture)
1 can of diced tomatoes (muir glen has an Italian mixture that goes well here)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
nutritional yeast to taste

Heat oil in large skillet on medium. Feel free to be generous with the oil, go wild. Add the garlic, onions and salt into the oil and sautee until the onions are nearly soft (7 minutes or so?). If you are skimping on the oil, you may need to add a bit of water to prevent sticking. Add the rosemary and the sundried tomatoes and sautee for a minute or so, then add the cooked pasta, stir to coat with oil, then add the artichoke hearts and stir to coat, add the beans again stirring to coat and then lastly add the can of tomatoes. Heat everything through, sprinkle with black pepper, taste for salt and serve. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over individual servings.

If you are really trying to be oil conscious here, you could reduce the amount of oil and use 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I like that this is an oil/garlic/herb sauce though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This is a great idea for a thread! Such great ideas for the beans in my pantry that are sad and unused

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

black beans + 1 can of rotel + soy crumbles + sriracha = nacho topping or burrito filling!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

your pasta with beans is similar to ours. love it! we use butter beans, broccoli and tomatoes with lots of garlic 'n nooch. soooo goood!

here's one of our favorites....

creamy polenta with black beans

for the black beans:
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 can 'o black beans, drained and rinsed
1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
1 avocado (optional)
1/2 a white or red onion
cooking oil spray
2 tsp olive oil
sea salt & pepper
juice from 1/4 of a lime
cilantro & 2 green onions/scallions, chopped

for the polenta:
4 cups water
1-2 tbsp earth balance (or olive oil)
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup cornmeal

spray a large skillet with cooking oil spray. saute the pepper and onion on medium heat until it begins to soften, add the black beans and tomatoes. saute for another few minutes then add the olive oil and lime juice. season with sea salt 'n pepper and remove from heat. while you're saute'n the beans and veggies you can get started on the polenta.

bring 4 cups of water to a boil. once boiling, add the corn meal while whisking; reduce the heat to low and continue to whisk the polenta until it's pretty much lumpless. add in earth balance and sea salt. you can add more water or cornmeal to get the consistency you love the most.

spoon polenta into bowls, add black beans 'n veggies on top, and garnish with cilantro, green onions, and avocado.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Great thread! I am also looking for some Slow Cooker bean recipes people (my partner now works from home on Monday! so slow cooker time)

Cuban Black Beans

1 cup dried black beans (NOT soaked, just rinsed)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 diced onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt (I add as I go along)
Pepper
Red Wine Vinegar

Basically, just put everything in a slow cooker, and fill with water until covering the beans by about 1-2 inches. I cook on high for a couple of hours, then put to low for about 4 hours. If I am in a hurry, high for 4-5 hours. Add pepper and red wine vinegar at the end. Let sit for an hour or so to thicken up. Some recipes call for sugar, but I don't like that.

Mexican-ish Slow Cooker Beans

1 to 1.5 cups beans (Black or pinto) NOT soaked, just rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes (fire roasted or flavored are yum) OR 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 diced onion
3 cloves onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp chilli powder OR 1 diced adobe chilli
1 bay leaf
Salt (I add as I go along)
Pepper
Cilantro (optional)
Corn (optional)

Again, I just dump it all in a slow cooker, on high a couple hours, then low for 4-5 hours. My partner LOVES corn, so sometimes I add a cup of frozen corn when finished cooking. Cilantro is optional

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:25 pm 
WRETCHED

I've been wanting to try the slow cooker method but haven't as of yet. I just ordered a bunch of beans from Rancho Gordo so I'll try on them when they arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
I've been wanting to try the slow cooker method but haven't as of yet. I just ordered a bunch of beans from Rancho Gordo so I'll try on them when they arrive.

I always seem to have issues with salt, which is why I add when I go along. Too early and the beans take forever to cook. Too late and it is super salty.

And I DON'T pre-soak them. They turn to mush for me anything over about 3 hours. Fresh tomatoes do too to be honest, but my partner does not like tomatoes at all, so I cook them down on purpose.

I am still pretty new to slow cooking, so I might be doing it wrong, but I do love both of those bean recipes I posted above. I just kind of made them up by trial and error.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

some great slow cooker beans we loooooove: Hell Yeah It's Vegan's rancho beans. it's one of our favorite bean recipes. we cook 'em on low in the crockpot or follow her method and cook 'em in the oven. either way they're so darn delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:13 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Great thread (and greatest thread title). I'm thinking your first cookbook needs to be called Excite Your Beans!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:51 pm 
WRETCHED

Tonight was a variation of my original recipe:
Italian style white beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 italian style sausages (tofurkey, homemade, other?), chopped
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp (or more) chili flakes
1 tsp (or more) herbamere - use salt if you don't have herbamere
1 tsp (or to taste) fresh ground black pepper
4 cups (more or less) cooked large white beans. I used something called Pueblo beans. I also cooked them soaked in the pressure cooker on high for 12 minutes with 2 bay leaves.

Heat olive oil, sautee onions and garlic for 5 minutes or so, add sausage, sautee for a few more minutes, add herbamere (or salt), pepper, chili flakes and thyme. Cook for about a minute, then add cooked white beans, heat through and serve. I served with steamed kale over rice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I love this thread so much. My beans are getting excited!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

I eat a lot of beans... my favourite tend to be in the not-spicy Indian camp.

This is our favourite dal:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/08 ... til-curry/

A lot more recipes on my blog.. too many to list!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

Also, check out The Great Vegan Bean Book. Great recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm loving this thread, too. I love beans and finding different things to do with them. Great contributions here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my new favorite thread!

here are 2 of my easy peasy last minute can't think of anything meals.

spicy sausagey black beans
2 cans black beans (3 cups)
1 package tofurky italian sausages
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

cut sausages lengthwise into quarters and dice them. brown them in a little oil. dump the beans and tomatoes in, cook it a bit, and voila! (if you rinse your black beans, add salt to taste.) serve it with buttered toast.

chana masala
2 cans chickpeas (3 cups) drained, rinsed
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
generous scoop of patak's biryani paste (maybe 2 tbsp? i never measured.)
2 tbsp chickpea flour

throw all those shiitakes together (except for the flour) cook it a bit so it melds, then mix the flour with a little water and add it to the pot. cook til thickened. serve it with buttered toast or if you thought ahead of time, over rice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am 
WELFARIST!

I love you and I love beans! This is just in time for my "can't really afford food" week and I didn't want to resort to eating pasta and ramen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 pm 
WRETCHED

Bryanna reported this post about general bean cooking tips and tricks
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/20 ... lting.html

Basically, if you soak beans, use salted water. If you eat beans regularly, then don't soak and cook in salted water. (Soy, chickpea, fava and kidney should always be soaked)

If you follow the link, she has a recipe for beans as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am 
WRETCHED

Isa does It has a lot of great bean recipes including Harira. I made the Incan Smokey Stew last night which I think is great with using quinoa, beans, chipotle peppers and tomatoes as a base. I can imagine switching out the veggies used in it, I'm thinking Zucchini or Cabbage would be pretty good in it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:39 pm 
WRETCHED

Just resurrecting this to share my last nights creation...

Mole beans
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp macadamia nut oil (or coconut oil or canola oil or whatever oil you like)
4 cups cooked beans
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (Muir glen tomatoes are good, especially there one with green chiles)
1 can of refried beans (many are vegan, some may contain lard, mine was just beans, water, salt - or make your own about 2 cups)
3-4 servings of prepared dark mole, about 1 cup (made with some not-chicken broth or veggie broth preferred or water. You can usually buy paste or you can buy prepared sauce. The ones I see are usually vegan but double check or you can make your own if you are inclined)
1-2 tsp salt (add more depending on saltiness of canned beans if using, veggie broth, etc)

Heat oil in a dutch oven or other large pan that you have a lid for
Add the onions and salt, cook until onions are slightly translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic, cook for a few minutes to soften the bell pepper slightly. Add the cooked beans (not refried), stir, then add the mole sauce and the diced tomatoes. If your mole sauce doesn't cover your beans, you might want to add a little liquid, either more mole, more broth or water. Bring to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes or so. Add the refried beans, stir, heat through and you are done. Taste for salt. You can also add a little cayenne if you want a bit of heat. Serve over rice and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just bookmarked this page so I can return to your beany ideas! I really want to try the pasta with sundried tomatoes but I think I'll use marinated artichokes in a jar (it's what I have on hand). Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mole beans suck. They suck for not being in my tummy right this instant, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Great thread! I like to make this Moroccan flavored chickpea/bean stew:

Serves 2-3 people

1 onion, diced small
1 or 2 types sturdy veg like cauliflower, broccoli, rutabaga, brussel sprouts, carrots, green beans etc., in large-ish chunks or cubes
1 can tomatoes
a few tablespoons tomato puree
2 cups chickpeas or other legumes
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon powdered (or fresh grated) ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon broth concentrate
1/3 cup raisins or cut up dried apricots
a handful of roasted sliced almonds (optional)

Sauté the veggies in a splash of oil until slightly browned. Add the tomatoes, water, beans, spices and raisins. Bring to a simmer and cook until the veggies are tender. Serve with rice, bread, couscous or millet and sprinkle sliced almonds on top if you're feeling spendy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am 
WRETCHED

Last night I modified a recipe (Ratatouille) from Forks over Knives. I don't know ratatouille but I'm guessing this looks nothing like it after my minor modifications. This makes a lot so you can cut the amounts in half

Garden bean Medley

1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 small zucchinis, diced
4 roma tomatoes, chopped (canned diced tomatoes can be substituted but I think fresh tomatoes give it a nice summer feel if you have good roma tomatoes available)
6 cloves of garlic, minced
5-6 cups of beans (I used canned fava and a mix of 'italian' beans. Fava, chickpeas, lima beans, etc would be good here. Fava are my favorite though)
1 tsp to 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (depending on your preference, if you don't like much spice, just add a little but this is a lot of beans and veggies so feel free to pour it on)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt, to taste (I actually used herbamere here)
Pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat, add in diced onions and 1 tsp salt. Cook for a couple minutes until onions are slightly translucent. Add in the the red bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes or so. Add in garlic, cook for 1 minute then add in zucchini, tomatoes, beans and red pepper flakes. Stir, cover and check frequently to stir. You might need to lower the heat slightly if you notice sticking. You will want the tomatoes to break down slightly and the zucchini to cook through but not become overcooked. This will take 10-15 minutes. When nearing the end, add the chopped basil in and taste for salt. Add some pepper as well if you like.

Serve over rice or if you like, I think serving over some pasta mixed with olive oil/garlic would be delicious.