| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are your favorite Isa recipes?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

So seeing that I am a brand spanking new Vegan, and this is Isa's website... got me thinking, what better place to ask this question! If there is already a thread similar, perhaps point me in the right direction... did a few searches, came out empty handed... anywho...

Since going Vegan in October, I've kind of been all over the place trying new things. I currently own Veganomicon and have Vengeance and Reduction on loan from the library, so admittedly... I am a little overwhelmed (self inflicted). I have tried a few things and so far I have not tried anything I wouldn't try again... the problem is my husband! I would love to find some dishes that he will really like, but so far, only the lasagna with Cashew Ricotta has been a winner (who wouldn't like that THAT - holy shiitake!). He is not Vegan, but I want to win him over dish by dish! I am determined!

So... from your experiences... which of Isa's recipes are your favs? I am looking for day to day recipes that are yummy but on the healthier side of the fence as we are trying to lose weight. I mean... as much as I'd like to make that lasagna weekly, my waistline would not thank me!

Thanks for any advice! You rock PPK!

Post subject: Re: What are your favorite Isa recipes?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Everything in Appetite for Reduction. Out of my dozens of cookbooks, that one is my favorite. Almost everything is simple to prepare, and they are all healthy and delicious.

Some of my favorites: split pea soup (and I am not a soup person!), sushi roll salad, trattoria pasta salad, lasagna with cauliflower ricotta, and, especially: baked falafel with hummus.

I also love the sunflower Mac from Isa Does it or the PPk blog. I love it just as a cheesy sauce over a baked potato and Lima beans.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:16 am 
So Totally Yiffy

lavawitch wrote:
Everything in Appetite for Reduction. Out of my dozens of cookbooks, that one is my favorite. Almost everything is simple to prepare, and they are all healthy and delicious.

Some of my favorites: split pea soup (and I am not a soup person!), sushi roll salad, trattoria pasta salad, lasagna with cauliflower ricotta, and, especially: baked falafel with hummus.

I also love the sunflower Mac from Isa Does it or the PPk blog. I love it just as a cheesy sauce over a baked potato and Lima beans.

Going to assume you were referring to the Smoky Split Pea in Appetite for Reduction? I think I'll just go ahead and try that for lunch tomorrow! Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, all the recipes I listed are from Reduction. It is my most used cookbook, by far. That pea soup is phenomenal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Phad Thai from VWAV, the pumpkin cookies from either the blog or VWAV, ditto the pumpkin muffins, the sweet/salty carrots from AfR, the Asian baked tofu from VWAV, the omelettes from IDI, and the Polenta Rancheros from Vegan Brunch.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My husband is also omni, and he hates beans, so sometimes it is a challenge. From Appetite for Reduction, I love to make a wrap with the buffalo tempeh and cool slaw.

From the blog, the grilled ramen is crazy good. Therr are a couple of ingredients that require a trip to the Asian market, but it is so worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:07 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

The butternut alfredo! Also peanut butter blondies from the cookie book.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 am 
Impressive boner

Butternut Alfredo, sweet corn chowder, raspberry blackout cake, pad Thai, tofu omelets. I'm sure there are lots I'm forgetting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm basically at a point where if it's an Isa recipe and I know I like the ingredients in general - I know I'll like the recipe even if I haven't tried it before. I have way to many favorites to even count, but here's what's at the top of my head:

- Seitan Jambalaya (Veganomicon)
- Chickpeas Romesco with Garlic Saffron Rice (Veganomicon)
- Miso Udon Stir Fry (Appetite for Reduction)
- Curry Laksa (Appetite for Reduction)
- Pot Pie Stew (Appetite for Reduction)
- Chickpea Gravy (Vegan w/a Vengeance or Appetite for Reduction)
- Tempeh Reubens (VWAV)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:57 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I love both the Seitanic jambalaya (V'con) and the Butternut jambalaya (AFR). They are easy to make, especially the butternut one, and picky omni relatives gobble them up!

Also the chickpea cutlets from V'con and the new rutabaga and brussel sprout stew on the blog.

From VWAV, my favorite recipe is the tempeh sausage crumbles. They taught me to like tempeh and I use them for all kinds of stuff, including salads.

Isa Does It also has given me a lot of new favorites, and I've made only a fraction of the recipes so far,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So hard to choose!!

The leek and white bean cassoulet from V'con always gets rave reviews from omnis.
Chickpea cutlets from V'con.
The miso tofu thing with potatoes in VWAV...I really can't remember what it's called right now.

For dessert, the smlove pie from V'con will always have a special place in my heart. The sparkled ginger cookies in VWAV are pretty amazing, too.

I use AFR a lot, but the above are the Isa recipes I've made again and again and again.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am 
Saggy Butt

The favorites that immediate come to mind for me are desserts, which doesn't help for your general meal planning. (I share dessert with omnis more than other food though.)

Recipes of the not-dessert variety that I've made a bunch are:
Black bean, quinoa, and mushroom stuffed peppers-Vengeance (VWAV)
Tofu scramble-VWAV
Parsnip scallion pancakes-VWAV (though these are fried, so they're kind of a pain in the butt and maybe more special occasion, but they are SO good.)
Curry split pea soup-VWAV
Corn and edamame salad-Veganomicon (I've served this to a couple different people who all really like it too and it's really easy to make)
Applesauce oat bran muffins-vcon

I also make the tofu ricotta out of vcon a lot and put it on toast or whatever random food I have around when I desperately need to go grocery shopping. There are probably more, but I don't have my books in front of me (so the titles might be wrong too, but hopefully that's enough to help you find them).

Good luck. I hope you find some new favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lobsteriffic wrote:
The miso tofu thing with potatoes in VWAV...I really can't remember what it's called right now.

I was going to mention this one too! Really hearty and satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 am 

Nicole wrote:
I'm basically at a point where if it's an Isa recipe and I know I like the ingredients in general - I know I'll like the recipe even if I haven't tried it before.

That's exactly where I am too! Especially true in AFR and IDI. My favorite from AFR is probably the quinoa puttanesca or hottie black-eyed peas & greens, and from IDI it's the pad thai.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Like Nicole, I love pretty much any Isa recipe as long as I like the ingredients in general. They always come out well and taste incredible.

But if I was told I could only have one cookbook for the rest of my life, I'd pick AFR. It's my most-used cookbook. Everything is easy enough for every day and uses ingredients I normally have on hand or can pick up at any supermarket. Though, it looks like IDI might be trying to beat AFR this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Probably not going to get all of these titles right, but since all of her books have good indexes, you should be able to figure them out!

Buffalo tempeh - AFR
Chickpea piccata - AFR
Chickpea cutlets (baked) - VCON
Polenta rancheros - VB
Maple mustard dressing - VCON
Pumpkin baked ziti (but I sub butternut squash and leave out the brown sugar) - VCON
Mango BBQ beans - AFR
Skillet cornbread - VCON
Pizza dough - VWAV
Roasted garlic white bean soup - VWAV
Tempeh reubens - VWAV

So many more, but those are the things I make the most.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the input!

A lot of people seem to rave about the cutlets, and I had noticed that after googling "Favorite Veganomicon recipes" last night... I'll have to try those next, along with about 30 other things! hehe

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My favorite everydayish/healthier/not too complicated V'con recipes are:
Quino Salad with Black Beans and Mango
Lentil Salad
Maple-Mustard Dressing
Miso Tahini Dressing
Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf
Tomato Couscous with Capers
Tamarind Lentils
Basic Broiled Tofu (This changed my life! If you've never had broiled tofu, you must make it!)
Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh
Smoky Grilled Tempeh
Chickpea Cutlets, baked (Make a double batch and freeze some for emergencies!)
Double Pea Soup with Roasted Red Peppers
French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme
Smoky red Peppers 'n' Beans Gumbo
Pasta Della California
Skillet Corn Bread (This may be my most made v'con recipe. It goes great with any chili and some baked winter squash or coleslaw. The basic recipe and variations are all worth trying.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

I started making a list but it got really long from AFR alone! So these are just a few that I make a LOT:

Chipotle lentil burgers - AFR
40 clove chickpeas & broccoli - AFR (So easy, so filling, I usually put a big serving of it over a small amount of pasta)
Basic baked tofu - AFR (I flip the proportions of tamari & balsamic because I prefer it soy saucier)
Ginger bok choy & soba - AFR (I dry fry tofu, toss it with a little soy sauce, then add it at the end)
Arabian lentil & rice soup - AFR
Scrambled tofu - VWAV
Pumpkin muffins - VWAV
BBQ Pomegranate tofu - VWAV (Best bbq sauce in the universe, seriously. No, seriously.)
Chickpea spinach curry - VWAV
Pad thai - VWAV (Dry fry the tofu to cut the oil in the recipe way down without sacrificing anything)
Raspberry blackout cake - VWAV (If the question is cake, this is the answer)
Chickpea quinoa pilaf - Vcon (Including a variation where I sub pinto beans for the chickpeas, pulverized chipotles in adobo for the tomato paste, and tweak the seasonings a bit.)
Chickpeas romesco w/saffrom garlic rice - Vcon
Pineapple-cashew-quinoa stirfry - Vcon
Chickpea noodle soup - Vcon
Potato kale enchiladas - Vcon (OK, I don't make this a lot because it's a bit labor intensive, but SO good)
Pumpkin ziti - Vcon
Cashew ricotta - Vcon
Skillet cornbread - Vcon (usually the jalapeno variation)
Swiss chard frittata - VB
Courico tacos w/grilled pineapple salsa - VB (If you haven't tried soy curls, this should be the first thing you make with them! You can get them at Sidecar, er... Vegan Haven)
Peruvian home fries - VB
Tempeh sausage pastry puffs - VB
East coast coffee cake - VB

Phew! I just got IDI, so I don't have any perennial favorites out of that yet. The Nirvana Enchilada Casserole was pretty fantastic, though, and the Rosemary Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best vegan chocolate chip cookies I've made.

I know that includes more than just day-to-day recipes, but my experience with weight loss is that you have to make room for the occasional indulgence. When I was testing for AFR I didn't lose anything because I wasn't making the effort. On the other hand, I lost 30 pounds while testing for the pie book. I was mainly eating meals out of AFR, or adapting other recipes AFR-style (cutting down oil by half in most recipes, sticking with stuff that was flavorful so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you again to the last two posters! I appreciate the effort you put into your lists! hehe

I've got Smoky Split Pea simmering on my stove right now... Let's do lunch! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband is not vegan so I carefully select the recipes I make for him. I know he would never eat tempeh. I love it but I know it can be something that takes some time to enjoy. He also loves beans but would not touch the chickpea cutlets. They are amazing and I eat them all the time, but he will not try them. I don't push him either. That being said, I have every Isa cookbook and make meals from them all the time and he always loves them. He will eat tofu so if I find a great recipe that has tempeh, I just sub in tofu for him. He has eased very slowly into the tofu ricotta but for a long time would not eat that. He loves every single baked product too - cookies, pies, bars, breads. Just have to figure out what your husband is willing to eat.

I also agree the Smoky Split pea soup (AFR) is awesome - in fact, having it tonight for dinner. Check out the web site also. Many recipes there end up in the books. The Butternut alfredo is one my husband raves about, Meaty Beany Chili, Mushroom Hot Pot, Alphabet Soup, Mushroom Barley Soup - all on the web site and we make so often.

I tend to cook a ton from Veganomicon and AFR and the husband has loved everything from them. Each has so many great recipes in them. Guess you have find out exactly what your husband is willing to eat. For example, I can't recall the sandwich in Veganomicon but it has eggplant and some olive spread. The olive spread is made frequently in our house for all kinds of sandwiches, but my husband wouldn't touch eggplant for anything. Picky!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm 

So this may just be my husband, but I find that what I call things can really make a difference in whether he likes it. The first time I made the butternut alfredo he was very meh about it. His chief complaint was that it was not an alfredo. He thought it was ok, but maybe not a make again. So I waited a few months for him to forget about it and made it again, but called it "creamy butternut pasta" and lo and behold, he loves it. I think because he eats the original versions of things still, he is just pickier about vegan versions, but if he doesn't think of it as a vegan version of something else and just appreciates it for what it is, he loves it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How was the soup? I need to make a batch next week. Mom and I live off that stuff all winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

DEG wrote:
So this may just be my husband, but I find that what I call things can really make a difference in whether he likes it. The first time I made the butternut alfredo he was very meh about it. His chief complaint was that it was not an alfredo. He thought it was ok, but maybe not a make again. So I waited a few months for him to forget about it and made it again, but called it "creamy butternut pasta" and lo and behold, he loves it. I think because he eats the original versions of things still, he is just pickier about vegan versions, but if he doesn't think of it as a vegan version of something else and just appreciates it for what it is, he loves it.

Agree. I think a big key to getting people to be more open to vegan food is not giving them the expectation that X is going to taste like Y food that they're familiar with... sometimes it's better to be vague about what something *is* and just describe what's in it or how you cooked it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'll have to try that soup - I've loved all of her soups.

Other favorites are many that people mentioned, but I still think it helps to hear repeats because then I know a lot of people really liked it :)
- chickpea cutlets (Vcon)
- punk rock chickpea gravy (VWAV) - this is my go to gravy recipe, I could eat it by itself
- tofu scramble (VWAV)
- caulipots - (AFR)
- glam chowder (IDI)
- cheesy broccoli soup (IDI)
- nachos/queso (IDI)
- 40 cloves broccoli chickpea recipe (AFR)

Those are just ones off the top of my head, I'm sure I've forgotten some.